News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Andrew Mitchell

St Andrews in winter
« on: February 16, 2009, 04:16:36 AM »
After another blank weekend for golf due to the snow I'm beginning to go a bit stir crazy in my need for a game.

I'm off up to Scotland for a family weekend shortly and thought I'd try to sneak off for a game on the Friday afternoon.  Whilst the Links Trust website contains a lot of information it's not particularly helpful for single golfers.  Likewise Carnousties.  Can anyone help me with the following?

I assume the system whereby a single wanting to play TOC can speak to the starter who will try and fix you up with a 2/3 ball operates throughout the year and is not just confined to busy periods?

Is play always off mats on TOC during winter?  Is TOC worth playing off mats?

As an alternative to TOC I thought of either the New or Eden courses (I've never played either).  Do they operate a similar system to TOC in that there is a starter who will try & fix you up with others for a game?

Daylight hours could be an issue as I won't get to St Andrews before lunchtime.  Are you allowed on the course as a single after the timesheet has "closed" for the day and you take a chance on whether you can round before dark?

As an alternative does anyone have any experience of getting a game as a single at Carnoustie? 

« Last Edit: February 16, 2009, 04:37:42 AM by Andrew Mitchell »
2014 to date: not actually played anywhere yet!
Still to come: Hollins Hall; Ripon City; Shipley; Perranporth; St Enodoc

Scott Warren

Re: St Andrews in winter
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2009, 04:56:47 AM »
I made enquiries recently about playing TOC in winter as a single. I was told that play was strictly off mats, and that I would be required to report to the starter as early in the morning as possible and he would try to join me up with a 2 or 3 ball, but that there were no guarantees.

Chris Kane

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2009, 05:00:46 AM »
When I lived in St Andrews, I used to go to the starter's hut at around 1pm in winter.  I always played within twenty minutes.

Rich Goodale

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2009, 05:38:50 AM »
Andrew

I spent last weekend in St. Andrews, and while it wasn't a golfing expedition, I can report that the courses are in excellent shape, particularly the greens.

As for mats, golfing with them is far better than not golfing at all.  If you must, however, one alternative I try to use is to kick any ball which happens to land in a fairway (mirabile dictu!) straight over the the nearest rough where it belongs, and play bareback, as it were, from there.

As for playing, I'd call up the Links Trust the day before and ask them about the tee sheets.  I'd be surprised if there were not times available.  As to playing with somebody else, the best thing to do is just hang around, either at one of the clubhouses or at the tee of the Old Course, if that's what you want.  As for late play, the last time I tried that, the starter at the Eden just let me wife and I out for free.

Enjoy

Rich

Niall C

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2009, 06:34:43 AM »
Andrew,

Apart from the Old Course, I believe the Links Trust rotate the courses where mats have to be used, so that at least one course at any point in time won't be on mats. I'd be amazed if you couldn't get a tee time on a walk up basis. And yes, each of the courses has a starter.

Niall

Philippe Binette

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2009, 08:37:32 AM »
If you show up as a single, you'll be able to play no problem, unless there's a special event going on.

All this talk about showing up at 5 AM in font of the starter hut is probably good for the summer time... When I was there, I played on the first group the first saturday of april (first saturday with no mats, clear skies) we played as a threesome. The group behind was a twosome....

Early may, again on a saturday, played in a foursome at 8h30 AM, threesome behind us, and 2 twosomes in front...

On june 1st, I showed up single at 8 AM, was on the tee at 9h40 AM

Winter during the week should be an issue

Gary Slatter

« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2009, 08:45:40 AM »
All the Links courses are using mats this winter, including Eden.  Mats are no problem, I take one extra club and then grip down a couple inches, works fine.

Singles get off pretty quickly during the winter on OC and Carnoustie, although it is not automatic to be able to join a two or three-ball.  I have seen three two balls in a row not accept a single, not really hospitable, nor economical.

Rich, I was off last week but when I returned on Friday the Old Course was under 4 inches of snow (gone by Sunday afternoon).  I agree, the greens are better than last winter, as are the fairways.  I think less play and guys hitting into the rough (or kicking into the rough as you do) is the reason the OC fiarways are better.
Gary Slatter
gary.slatter@raffles.com

Scott Warren

« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2009, 08:50:43 AM »
There's no winter rate though, is there? Still £130 for TOC?

George Freeman

« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2009, 09:57:50 AM »
Andrew,

I visited St. Andrews last February and found it very easy to get onto TOC.  Granted, it was blowing 40 mph + steady the morning I had to play, but it was in the 40s and the sun was out.  I think there were only 4 people on the course until about noon when we were finishing.  Also, according to the locals I spoke to, Jan/Feb are the lowest time of the year as far as tourism.  I can confim that, as I think I may have been the only tourist there during my two days (or so I thought).

As for the mats:  They are fine, the only issue I had was keeping it secured to the ground (I used a tee) in the high wind.  Come to think of it, I had trouble keeping plenty of things in one place in that wind: my ball, my golf bag (!), head covers, etc.

Funny side note:  I traveled solo up to St. Andrews from London (there visiting a friend) to see the town and play the course (hopefully w/ some locals in February!).  I waited on the first tee for awhile alone hoping someone would come along.  Eventually a gentleman and his son arrived, but come to find out they were both from Michigan (which is where I'm from).  Laughing for the first couple holes about the irony of it, we get caught by a single on #8.  We ask if he would mind joining, and he agrees.  His accent immediately sounds too familiar, and he introduces himself, telling us he too is from Michigan. 

I traveled half way around the world to play TOC in February in 40 mph winds with a few gents from my home state...go figure
Mayhugh is my hero!!

"I love creating great golf courses.  I love shaping earth...it's a canvas." - Donald J. Trump

mike_beene

« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2009, 10:51:15 PM »
Do they issue a mat,or do you buy one?Is the ball always a few inches avove your feet?Do you use the mats chipping?I have heard of the mats but can't picture what they look like.

Andrew Mitchell

« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2009, 04:04:32 AM »
Gents

Thanks for your replies and helpful advice.  Your comments have encouraged me to try & get on TOC as a walk up when I get to St Andrews on Friday week.  Having checked the ballot online for the last couple of days it doesn't seem very busy - the last tee time booked today is 11.10 leaving two hours of blank times.

Mike - We use mats at my home course when it's very wet.  You are given a small piece of astro turf which you can fasten to the ground with a tee peg.  It's not too bad although as Rich says on the few occasions I actually find the fairway (hopefully at least on 1 & 18  ;D) you can move the ball to the rough and play it from there without the mat.

George - nice story.  Wind I don't mind (nae wind, nae gowf!) but if it's raining as well I'll be gving it a miss.

Scott - there is a winter rate of £64.
2014 to date: not actually played anywhere yet!
Still to come: Hollins Hall; Ripon City; Shipley; Perranporth; St Enodoc

Andy Levett

« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2009, 05:07:26 AM »
I've been around this time of year and agree there's no problem getting out on TOC or the New. It's actually the Eden that gets booked up,apparently because the locals like the option of being able to pack in after 9.

The mat doesn't bother me too much - the tight,firm lie you get is very links-like. When I played TOC in February a couple of years ago the big disappointment was the 11th played to a temporary green. (No others though). I think pitchmarks were the concern as the other short hole played from as far back as possible.

For the same reason, a lot of pins were right at the front to encourage the approach landing short, which made the Road hole, particularly, rather tame. Generally the tees (all grass) were forward, but not ridiculously so. On the upside, we ambled round in three hours and seemed to have the course virtually to ourselves, and the green fee was half-price.

Overall, glass definitely half-full rather than half-empty.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back