News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Brad Klein

Olympia Fields' Sam MacKenzie Superintendent of the Year
« on: February 07, 2009, 07:26:44 AM »
At the Golf Industry Show in New Orleans yesterday, Golfweek Magazine offshoot TurfNet.Com named Sam MacKenzie, CGCS, Olympia Fields Country Club, as Superintendent of the Year for his work coordinating the major renovation of the club's South Course.

See the story link below.

http://www.turfnet.com/view_news.php?obj_id=284

Tim Liddy

Re: Olympia Fields' Sam MacKenzie Superintendent of the Year
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2009, 08:07:56 AM »
I know Sam and would like to send him a congratulatory email.  Anybody have his e-mail address?

Anthony_Nysse

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2009, 08:08:21 AM »
Congratulations to Sam and the staff at Olympia Fields. I have a former intern who just started working there as an assistant and has nothing but positive things to say about Sam!

Tony Nysse
Asst. Supt.
Colonial CC
Ft. Worth, TX
Anthony J. Nysse
Director of Golf Courses & Grounds
Apogee Club
Hobe Sound, FL

Anthony_Nysse

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2009, 08:09:51 AM »
Tim,
  Sam's email is samackenzie at ofcc dot info.

« Last Edit: February 07, 2009, 12:12:12 PM by Anthony_Nysse »
Anthony J. Nysse
Director of Golf Courses & Grounds
Apogee Club
Hobe Sound, FL

PCCraig

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2009, 08:26:10 AM »
I was out at OFCC and played the North course the same weekend as the U of Illinois College Tournament and the course was in near US Open conditions. Congrats to Sam!
H.P.S.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2009, 08:27:24 AM »
Congratulations to Sam Mackenzie.

He was the head man at Broadmoor CC in Indianapolis for many years and took charge of all the renovation work we did there, too.  I'm very happy to see his hard work recognized.

Jeff Goldman

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2009, 10:58:35 AM »
I'm supposed to be golfing, but got stuck in the office, so I'll make a much longer post about this in a bit, but for now, a bit of "the wit and wisdom of Sam Mackenzie":

In response to a question about trees from the committee interviewing him for the job: 

"On golf courses, you got grass and you got trees, and they both want the same things -- sun, nutrients, other stuff -- and if you don't do anything, who ya think is gonna win?" 

After being asked by a member about getting rid of the poa annua on the course: 

"Around here, you got two choices on poa annua:  You can deal with it, or become a plumber."

I met him on an early visit to the club to talk about the South  Course renovation, gave him a big hug, and asked "do you know what a pile of shit you just stepped into?"  I knew we were golden when I hit a drive on 14 North the first season that didn't leave a ballmark in the faiway, but rolled and rolled, leaving me a 5 iron in. HAHAHAHAHA
That was one hellacious beaver.

Tim_Cronin

« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2009, 03:05:09 PM »
Congrats to Sam. Supers don't get nearly enough credit, and too much grief.
The website: www.illinoisgolfer.net
On Twitter: @illinoisgolfer

C. Squier

« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2009, 07:34:32 PM »
I was able to play Broadmoor last summer and they had nothing but great things to say about Sam, sounds like he really instilled quite a culture there.  Not only did he have the entire South Course project thrown at him, but he also had the entire membership on the North Course for a season....conditions couldn't have been better, we would've been thrilled if it were like that with 2 full courses sharing the play.  Can't wait to see what he can do when he doesn't have a huge project to tend to.  We're very fortunate to have him.

CPS

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2009, 07:44:10 PM »
Congrats to Sam. Supers don't get nearly enough credit, and too much grief.

Tim, you'll be happy to know our guy, Bruce Cadenelli, rec'd a nice long standing ovation at our annual meeting a few weeks ago.  I was SO proud that my fellow members recognized him so warmly.

John Handley

« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2009, 08:26:44 PM »
Congrats to Sam but especially Thomas Bastis.  I know I speak for the Cal Club membership when I say thank you Thomas for all of your hard work during the renovation.  We are very proud of you and your team.
2024 Line Up: Spanish Oaks GC, Cal Club, Cherokee Plantation, Huntercombe, West Sussex, Hankley Common, Royal St. Georges, Sunningdale New & Old, CC of the Rockies, Royal Lytham, Royal Birkdale, Formby, Royal Liverpool, Swinley Forest, St. George's Hill, Berkshire Red, Walton Heath Old, Austin GC,

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2009, 11:27:49 PM »
He beat out some great supers to win the award but the article fails to say why he won it?   Can someone discuss how and why he accomplished this?

Here are the other nominees.
He was chosen from a field of nine finalists that included Thomas Bastis , CGCS, California Golf Club, South San Francisco, Calif.; Eric Bauer , The Club at Carlton Woods, The Woodlands, Texas; Todd Daniel , Riverchase Country Club, Hoover, Ala.; Scott Guidry , Ellendale Country Club, Houma, La.; Mark Hughes , CGCS, Monroe Golf Club, Pittsford, N.Y.; Jake Renner , CGCS, The Legend at Brandybrook, Wales, Wis.; Barry Strittholt , CGCS, Brown’s Run Country Club, Middletown, Ohio; and Fred Theus , The Plantation at Ponte Vedra, Ponte Vedra Beach, Fla.

Jeff Goldman

« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2009, 11:42:40 PM »
(long post) Joel, since you asked,

I have been head of Finance and Vice-Chair of grounds at Olympia Fields for 3 years, and was chairman of the South Course Project.  In those roles I became very well acquainted with Sam.  I think it almost takes someone in positions like that, especially one not really qualified to be there (aside from realizing that the most important thing to be is Hippocratic), to appreciate what Sam accomplished in his first 3 years at the club.  

Sam MacKenzie was hired to be the Director of Grounds of Olympia Fields Country Club in February, 2006, and was immediately confronted with the following:  A membership in an uproar over a damaged North Course, which had several temporary greens in play the previous year, and several others that were on life support; the start of a 3-year Grounds Master Plan that had just begun with the construction of a new Pool and Tennis Facility (already significantly over budget), and under which Sam would be responsible for all landscaping; a renovation plan for the South Course that was slated to start the following July; a demoralized and disorganized Grounds Department, weakened because of infighting and hurt by the ever-worsening condition of the golf courses; and a general economic situation exacerbated by the condition of the golf courses, that placed budgets under stress.
I know; I was there.

Sam's performance that first year resulted in a stunning turnaround.  He lived at the club for the first two months of his tenure to get a running start.  Among other things, he turned off the water and started bi-weekly aerations, which, by September, had the North Course standing tall at the Fighting Illini Olympia Fields Invitational Golf Tournament, which featured  Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Duke, Stanford Arizona State and others.  At the same time Sam convinced the Board and the Membership to undertake a hugely controversial tree removal project, which the club refused to do in preparation for the 2003 Open, to improve sunlight and air movement on his greens.  He also convinced the club to  delay the South Course renovation project by a season to ensure that all necessary preparation and permitting could be completed. Whew!

In 2007 Sam had to manage the renovation of the South Course while continuing to improve conditions on the North Course.  Sam took responsibility for all grassing operations in the renovation so that he could get the turf conditions he wanted.  this included included 29,000 sq. ft. of green expansions, all new tees, one new green and the regrassing of all fairways.  He instilled such esprit de corps in his Grounds Department that his crews stayed into the night to complete seeding operations after rainstorms washed out some of their work.  By that time, a scant 16 months after being hired, he put together a highly trained and motivated staff that did not miss a beat on the North Course while he spent the summer supervising the work on the South.  I was out there pestering Sam a lot, watching the budgets, and it was great to watch.

In the Spring of 2008 he continued final preparations for the opening of the South Course, which received stunning and (to my eyes) almost unbelievable acclaim from the  membership, and has been chosen as the site of the 2010 Illinois PGA and the 2013 Western Amateur Championships.  Sam brought the project in slightly under budget, at a cost of $2.87 million on a budget of $2.9 million. And I have not even mentioned that he has also supervised the building of a new maintenance facility and turf care center, slated to open this spring, which is also right on budget.  Try that!

This past September almost 12 inches of rain fell in a three-day period ending on a Sunday.  The flooding was immense because of Butterfield Creek, which winds through both golf courses.  The creek was not back into its banks until late Monday.  This was FOUR DAYS before the start of this year's Olympia Fields Fighting Illini Golf Invitational, featuring powers UCLA, Oklahoma State, Stanford, Duke, Florida State and others.  By Wednesday, the North Course was ready to play, and the tournament was once again a great success.  Duke Coach O.D. Vincent, posting on Golfweek's College U discussion group after the tournament, said the following:  

"First off, Olympia Fields, in my opinion, is one of the best tournament courses I have seen.  The course demands accurate driving, precise approach shots and tremendous creativity around the greens.  What a great experience for these players to compete on such a championship venue.  Beyond the course, the hospitality and genuine excitement you feel from every member and staff member at the club is incredible.  The Chicago area received over 12 inches of rain the week prior and the fact the grounds crew had the course ready to play was a feat in and of itself."

As important as anything Sam does is mentoring. Five of his assistants have become head superintendents.  Most recently, Brad Fry was recently named head superintendent and responsible for the grow-in at Harbor Shores a new Nicklaus course slated to open in 2009.

This is only a brief summary of what Sam has done in the short time he has been at the club. We can't wait to see what happens to our courses in the next few years.

Jeff Goldman

« Last Edit: February 07, 2009, 11:49:56 PM by Jeff Goldman »

Don_Mahaffey

« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2009, 12:13:39 AM »
Congratulations to Sam and all the other nominees for Super of the year.

The post above illustrates why I think Turfnet’s Super of the Year is such a great program. It’s a great feeling when the people who best know your work and the challenges you face take the time to publically recognize your efforts.

Jeff Goldman

« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2009, 12:57:26 AM »
Let me also say that our experience with Sam is for sure not unusual. Each nominee, and many others, have done such work for their clubs, as Sam has already told me. Recognition of one super's accomplishment is a recognition of all of their work.

Gerry B

« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2009, 01:24:37 AM »
Congrats Sam. Jeff Goldman has accurately described your accomplishments. OFCC is a better place due to your hard work.See you this season.

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2009, 07:43:26 AM »
Jeff - Congrats to you too for having Sam at OFCC.

I especially liked this quote, "As important as anything Sam does is mentoring. Five of his assistants have become head superintendents.  Most recently, Brad Fry was recently named head superintendent and responsible for the grow-in at Harbor Shores a new Nicklaus course slated to open in 2009."

You have a very special guy there (reminds me of our own Mr. Cadenelli).  Don't let him leave!

Stephen Britton

« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2009, 10:42:15 AM »
Congrats to Sam and the crew at Olympia..
"The chief object of every golf architect or greenkeeper worth his salt is to imitate the beauties of nature so closely as to make his work indistinguishable from nature itself" Alister MacKenzie...

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2009, 11:25:36 AM »
He should probably share the honor with the green committee who helped pave the way.  How much of his work was driven by the green committee and how much was his expertise.  Also was there an architect involved?

Jeff Goldman

« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2009, 11:44:21 AM »
Joel,

The grounds committee (led by chairman Dave Allard) deserves great credit for supporting Sam, covering his back and fighting to ensure that his policies were supported by the board and the membership.Dave's understanding of the membership helped immensly. The architects of the south course project, Steve Smyers and Aat Andrews, get all the credit for the quality of the work. Sam as owner's rep managed the project for us, and was hardnosed on costs, changes etc, so that this was a true team effort. Without Sam, wouldn't have happened.

SL_Solow

« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2009, 12:00:18 PM »
This is wonderful news and brings the Super of the year aaward back to Chicago for the first time since Paul Voykin's honor.  I have followed the developments at OFCC closely for years and Jeff's description of Sam's efforts may be understated.  The condition of the North Course's greens which developed after the great Dave Ward left were exceptionally bad.  Sam turned that situation around with remarkable speed without missing a beat on the rest of the course.  His work during the remodelling of the South Course was terrific.  On top of it all, Sam is a real gentleman.  A wonderful honor well deserved.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2009, 12:09:16 PM »
I would hope this award is not seen as going to Sam primarily because of the renovation work.  I was so pleased to see him win because he is an old-school, hands-on superintendent who is all about soil and grass ... and a great role model for all those kids coming out of turf school.

It would be a shame if superintendents got the idea that you only get awards for tearing the course up and spending money on it.

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2009, 01:47:30 PM »
It would be a shame if superintendents got the idea that you only get awards for tearing the course up and spending money on it.

Spoken like a genuis.  I have proof how a superintendent can do exactly the opposite side of what Olympia Fields did on a equally if not a more famous classic course and destroy it.

I'm happy that Sam won this honor but it appears it was a real team effort, congratulations to the following people:

1. The committee who brought in Steve Smyers and his team
2. The committee who hired Sam
3. The current and past greens or grounds  committee members who guided these projects
4. Sam and his crew

Paul Richards

« Reply #23 on: February 08, 2009, 02:07:43 PM »
Congrats to Sam.

I sat on the committee when he interviewed at another club and, unfortunately, he wasn't offered the job.  Instead, he ended up at OFCC as Super of the Year!

Nice work, Sam.

"Something has to change, otherwise the never-ending arms race that benefits only a few manufacturers will continue to lead to longer courses, narrower fairways, smaller greens, more rough, more expensive rounds, and other mechanisms that will leave golf's future in doubt." -  TFOG

Jeff Goldman

« Reply #24 on: February 08, 2009, 02:37:05 PM »
To Tom and Joel's point, I have no idea what the deciding factor was, but from the club's point of view, it was the sum total of all the things I listed and more. Yeah, we're happy with the renovation, but the condition of the courses, morale in the department and the rest was at least as important, as was the work coming in on budget.   You guys have no idea of the uproar at the place at the time he showed up, and the relief once things started improve all around.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back