News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Don_Mahaffey

Re: Olympia Fields' Sam MacKenzie Superintendent of the Year
« Reply #25 on: February 08, 2009, 04:38:32 PM »
Joel,
I'm sure Sam would be the first to say he didn't do it alone.

Is it your opinion that Sam shouldn't be recognized for his efforts alone yet your guy should take all the blame for the problems you have with your course/club?

I find your personal attack on your super hypocritical if you’re going to keep beating the drum of everyone involved should be noted when it's good but it's the supt alone when something is going on you don't like.

This is a positive thread about a club and super who have achieved success. Must you drag your club politics into this discussion?

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #26 on: February 08, 2009, 05:08:03 PM »
I'm not sure how to answer that. 

I think this is a very positive thread and I congratulated all the people involved.  There is a right way to do things and a wrong way and sadly my club went the wrong way.  Olympia Fields went the right way and Sam won based on his execution which was critical and was the reason he won.  Its like a jockey who wins the Kentucky Derby.  He didn't breed the horse, feed it or train it yet he gets most of the attention.  All of those other mostly unnoticed people set the jockey up to succed.  All of those members and committees at Olympia Fields set Sam up to succed and he did it.

Jeff Goldman

« Reply #27 on: February 08, 2009, 05:40:10 PM »
Joel,

I think you get a yes and no from me on this.  He was helped by about the best Grounds Chairman the club has ever seen, Dave Allard, who knows the membership cold and could tell Sam in specifics what their expectations were, who would squawk about what, etc. etc.  However, in a way, Sam did at least help breed, feed and train the horse, by bringing in some of his own people, reorganizing the grounds department, treating people the right way, and putting those folks in a position where they could succeed.  He was effective in educating the membership via repeated communication with the committee and the membership, and by always keeping his door open.  He was able to convince the committee and the membership  (with the help of a straight man or two  ;D), on things like tree work and to buy into other stuff (there's more work to be done there).  The club, and more important, Sam, well-recognizes the team work necessary to get anything done.  And Sam's modesty and surprise at this whole turn of events are illustrated by his exclamation in the article "I'm baffled by this".  He was happy that the committee and others thought enough of his work to take the time to nominate him, but never expected to win; he told his wife to go shopping.

One thing that doesn't get talked about much, but that I have learned about, is the management skills required in the job; it's more than just dirt.  On his budgeting, Sam basically has every day of the season mapped out and knows exactly what his costs are. He (and probably every other superintendent on GCA) can tell you precisely how many man-hours it takes for each task in caring for the courses and how those costs could change depending on circumstances.  If it rains so he doesn't mow rough one day, that goes into the budget figures.  He has educated me on stuff like the optimal amount of overtime vs adding folks to eliminate overtime, costs associated with different mowing patterns, etc. etc. etc.  Those skills are something that are not much discussed here, but seem critical in a big club that won't just throw money at tasks.   
That was one hellacious beaver.

Paul OConnor

« Reply #28 on: February 09, 2009, 09:50:51 AM »
Congatulations to Sam MacKenzie. 

Jeff Goldman knows alot more about the details of the work Sam has done at OFCC, but I have a couple of thoughts.

The amount of rain OFCC received the week before the Illinois Invitational was staggering.  To say that Butterfield Creek had "come out of its banks" is about as understated as one could make it.  There were roads and underpasses around the club that were closed for that whole week.  I played the course the day before the tournament, and the coach from Duke was right.  That was one tough course, way tougher than the setup for the Open.  The rough was 8 inches long and THICK,  grab your wedge and gouge it out thick. 

I get to play alot of late afternoon golf on the North course, and I have frequently seen Sam MacKenzie out ahead of me, dropping a few balls on the greens, and putting at different spots, checking speeds or pin locations or something.  It's a tremendous feeling for me to know that after all the issues with soil and grass and trees and budgets and staff and politics, that ultimately, Sam is a golfer.   

Well done!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back