News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Richard Hetzel

Dear Ian,

With this system completely installed would the golf course be able to forgo the twice or more yearly aeration of the greens because so much oxygen is pumped into the root system via the Sub Air system?
Best Played So Far This Season:
Crystal Downs CC (MI), The Bridge (NY), Canterbury GC (OH), Lakota Links (CO), Montauk Downs (NY), Sedge Valley (WI)

Joe Hancock

Dear Ian,

With this system completely installed would the golf course be able to forgo the twice or more yearly aeration of the greens because so much oxygen is pumped into the root system via the Sub Air system?

Not to butt in, but that's only part of the equation. Removal of organic matter(specifically, thatch) and replacing it with soil is an important aspect of aeration. Oxygen in the soil is certainly important too.

Joe
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

Ian Larson

Rich,

NO! Absolutely not. Nothing will ever replace the practice of removing organic matter with aerification. Aerification not only allows gas exchange it improves water infiltration rates and keeps greens firm with minimal thatch supported by a good topdressing program.

Organic matter accumulation is very very bad, cores need to be pulled.

Chris Cupit

Ian,

I am correct in tinking that it is more common to suck moisture out of the green profile and help pull oxygen down through the profile versus the notion of blowing air up and into the soil profile?

I could be way wrong but I think the notion of the SubAir used to blow in and cool greens is not accurate.  (I'm not saying you suggested that but the common perception among many golfers I speak with is that this system "air conditions" the green).

Ian Larson

Chris,

Yes I use it for both, but mostly for suction. Yes you are correct that with drawing water out of the profile and into the pipe you are also drawing down oxygen through the canopy.

Blowing air into the green is also very effective.

1. It obviously is blowing oxygen into the rootzone.

2. While i was in college in Myrtle Beach summer temps could get up to 100 degrees with alot of humidity. The temp of the greens canopy could also reach 100 degrees which is no bueno for bent grass. We actually blew air into the green which pushed cooler air up to the canopy and cooling it down in between syringes. There are studies done by Clemson to support this.

3. There are cases where the macropores at the bottom 2" of the soil profile are clogged with silts and fines that have made there way down from the canopy. The clogging can create a perched water table at the bottom of the profile, turn anaerobic and eventually form a blacklayer. Using the Sub-Air to blow air from the pipe up into the profile can help break up and oxygenate that small layer at the bottom.

Michael Rossi

On a visit to Bay Hill last year in late January we were exposed to a cooling system they were testing. As I understood the purpose was to cool the soil to grow bentgrass and test other options, the series of pipes ran throughout the the soil profile and the temperature could be controlled down significantly. The nursery was supporting 4 types of turf, paspalum, hybrid bermuda, 2 bents if I recall correctly. Pretty "cool" system, sounded expensive but very useful. Not sure if they opted to go with the system or not.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2009, 12:34:00 PM by Michael Rossi »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back