News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jim Colton

Ballyneal June 13-15
« on: February 04, 2009, 02:40:12 PM »
Last year, I was fortunate enough to visit Ballyneal for the first time thanks to a post similar to this one by John Kirk.  I got to meet a handful of GCA members and by all accounts, everybody had a great time.  The weekend was literally a life-altering one for me.

There's really no way that I can thank John enough for his generosity.  The only thing I can do is...give back to the GCA community.  With that said, I have a weekend in Holyoke set-up for Saturday June 13-Mon Jun 15th and can accomodate 6-7 guests.  I'm aiming to attract GCA'ers that have yet to play the course, although it seems like most have.  Please PM me if you're interested.

Jim
« Last Edit: February 04, 2009, 02:43:10 PM by Jim Colton »

John Mayhugh

Re: Ballyneal June 13-15
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2009, 06:05:17 PM »
This should be at the top of the page!  A really great opportunity for people to experience a superb modern course. 

Justin Broderson

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2009, 06:59:39 PM »
Thank you for the amazing offer.  Never seen the course before, but I'm damn sure hoping to :o

Damon Groves

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2009, 07:05:59 PM »
Jim -

Very generous offer. I played Ballyneal this past year and it is fantastic. Given I have already played I would certainly want others to get a chance that have not played there.

For those who have not played, take Jim up on the offer. Well worth the trip out there.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2009, 07:08:14 PM »
Jim -

Very generous offer. I played Ballyneal this past year and it is fantastic. Given I have already played I would certainly want others to get a chance that have not played there.

For those who have not played, take Jim up on the offer. Well worth the trip out there.

I'll 2nd this statement by Damon...its indeed a special course that is worth the effort to see.

And a big shoutout/kudos to Jim for taking the time and effort to put this together!!!

Justin Broderson

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2009, 07:19:29 PM »
How does one get there, where do you fly into?

Richard Choi

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2009, 07:21:01 PM »
Let me 3rd it!!!

I was lucky enough to play it last year. It was an amazing experience. If you are a true gold afficianado, this experience is a must.

You have a couple of options on how to get there, but the easiest is to fly into Denver (direct flight from almost anywhere via United) and drive about 3 1/2 hours to get there. Well worth the trip.

Justin Broderson

« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2009, 07:23:49 PM »
Richard, I'd drive from NJ if I had to, thanks for the info.

Adam Clayman

« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2009, 07:34:53 PM »
One correction. its 2:20 from DIA
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Scott Szabo

« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2009, 07:44:13 PM »
An amazing opportunity for those who haven't had the pleasure of playing Ballyneal.  A very generous offer on your part, Jim.  I've played numerous times, thanks to another here on GCA, and have a guy from my regular Friday afternoon group that is a member.  It keeps getting better and better as the years go by.

I'd love to meet up with some of you, but will defer to those who have not yet played this amazing course.

I live only an hour away, so if there is any kind of dinner gathering, etc. I'd love to come be a part of that.

Scott
"So your man hit it into a fairway bunker, hit the wrong side of the green, and couldn't hit a hybrid off a sidehill lie to take advantage of his length? We apologize for testing him so thoroughly." - Tom Doak, 6/29/10

Kenny Baer

« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2009, 10:18:38 AM »
What an amazing offer!!!  I have never seen it and would love the opportunity. ;D

ChipRoyce

« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2009, 10:45:20 AM »
That's very kind of you to offer this. I'm very tempted (need to clear with my Chief Home Operating officer who's been helping with an austerity program in the current economic climate). I will be sure to reply back - I can only imagine how much fun that weekend could be.

Justin Broderson

« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2009, 11:21:20 AM »
Chip and Kenny, where are you guys located?  If Jim so happens to chooses us maybe we can link up in Denver and share a car to Hoylake.

Jim Colton

« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2009, 11:24:36 AM »
I will sort through the responses tonight, so if you're interested, please let me know today if you haven't already.

I will admit that when sorting through the responses, those who contributed to the site in 2008 will get first crack.

Jim

Cory

« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2009, 12:50:34 PM »
Jim, I would love this opportunity to play this course.  I live in Nebraska and so this would be a short trip for me.  Thanks!

Craig Van Egmond

« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2009, 02:21:59 PM »

This may be one trip I can make this year, mainly because I can drive there, its only 567 miles. Like Chip I will need to confer with the home CEO.

Pete Lavallee

« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2009, 03:15:13 PM »

This may be one trip I can make this year, mainly because I can drive there, its only 567 miles. Like Chip I will need to confer with the home CEO.

Craig,

You must be the only GCA Veteran who hasn't played Ballyneal; what gives?
"...one inoculated with the virus must swing a golf-club or perish."  Robert Hunter

Kenny Baer

« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2009, 03:45:41 PM »
Chip and Kenny, where are you guys located?  If Jim so happens to chooses us maybe we can link up in Denver and share a car to Hoylake.

I am in Atlanta.

Wyatt Halliday

« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2009, 04:18:53 PM »
I also was fortunate enough to visit Ballyneal last year thanks to John Kirk and wanted to echo the comments regarding this fantastic opportunity. It is a very generous gesture on Jim's part, and a trip you will not soon forget.

A wise man once said:

"Not all golf trips are great.  Some can be disappointing.  Not this one."

Craig Van Egmond

« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2009, 04:24:36 PM »

Pete,

I haven't played much actually golf these last few years, but the wife usually lets me out for one trip a year. 

I have a conflict for the Kings Putter or I'd be groveling for that. Or the Kingsley trip.... :)

ed_getka

« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2009, 09:48:04 PM »
Jim,
   Ash Towe is coming up from New Zealand near that time and would love to see Ballyneal. I was fortunate enough to meet Ash when I traveled down to New Zealand/Australia a couple of years ago. Great guy and he would love the opportunity to meet as many GCA'ers as possible. Sounds like a great fit.
"Perimeter-weighted fairways", The best euphemism for containment mounding I've ever heard.

John Mayhugh

« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2009, 12:46:26 PM »
For those who take Jim up on his invitation......... if you see this, you're going the right way.   ;D

Doug Wright

« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2009, 12:51:11 PM »
For those who take Jim up on his invitation......... if you see this, you're going the right way.   ;D

John, to paraphrase:  "There's golf in them thar hills..."
Twitter: @Deneuchre

Mitchell Schneringer

« Reply #23 on: February 11, 2009, 04:42:04 PM »
If there are still avail spots, I'd like a few more details and will most likely sign up for the trip.  Thanks for the offer.

Damon Groves

« Reply #24 on: February 11, 2009, 10:55:29 PM »
For those that make the trip the photo of the dirt road is correct and you are on for a decent ways. When you get to the cattle gate with the beat up wood sign make a right turn and go up the hill. When you get to the top you will know that you are going to have some fun.

The Chop Hills are amazing and this place was waiting for a golf course to be built on it. Good thing we were lucky enough to have Tom Doak get the shot at it. The greens are awesome. Crazy undulation but left at a speed that makes them a ton of fun.

Was there this past June and it is awesome. For those that go have a great time and enjoy it.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back