News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Cristian

Re: Lesser Known Scottish Holes - An Ideal 18
« Reply #50 on: February 06, 2009, 07:31:22 PM »
BoG 6, 12, 15
The New Course (TNC?) 9, 10
Glasgow Gailes 2, 17

jeffwarne

« Reply #51 on: February 07, 2009, 01:15:34 AM »
I'd have to include the 13th, Sea Hole, at the Glen Golf Club in North Berwick.  It's a short, blind par 3 from an elevated tee down toward the water.  I thought it was fun.  The Glen Club's website features the hole on its opening page -- looking from behind the green toward the tees on the hill in the background.

I thoroughly enjoyed the Glen Club-but it doesn't get much love on this site.
That is a cool hole. The veiws from that course are great.
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Niall C

« Reply #52 on: February 07, 2009, 08:08:33 AM »
I'd have to include the 13th, Sea Hole, at the Glen Golf Club in North Berwick.  It's a short, blind par 3 from an elevated tee down toward the water.  I thought it was fun.  The Glen Club's website features the hole on its opening page -- looking from behind the green toward the tees on the hill in the background.

I thoroughly enjoyed the Glen Club-but it doesn't get much love on this site.
That is a cool hole. The veiws from that course are great.

Jeff,

I have to agree with your taste in courses, the Glen is is alot of fun, what I would call good holiday golf. By the way, don't you think the 13th would be an even better hole approaching the green from the 14th fairway ?

Niall

Gary Daughters

Re: Lesser Known Scottish Holes - An Ideal 18 New
« Reply #53 on: February 07, 2009, 10:43:28 AM »
Photos of several holes mentioned so far:

Boat of Garten #6

Tarlair #13

Tain #12 (Alps)

Moray #2

Moray #3

Moray# 12

Another view:

Moray #18 Tee (Sea gulls in the fairway. If your draw happens to be working you can play it over the rock formation on the right)

Moray #18 Green

And here are a few I would toss out:

Boat of Garten #2

Tain #15

Moray #17.. a wonderful par 5 that bends around the dunes on the left

« Last Edit: February 08, 2009, 12:33:18 PM by Gary Daughters »
THE NEXT SEVEN:  Alfred E. Tupp Holmes Municipal Golf Course, Willi Plett's Sportspark and Driving Range, Peachtree, Par 56, Browns Mill, Cross Creek, Piedmont Driving Club

Andrew Mitchell

« Reply #54 on: February 07, 2009, 03:44:11 PM »
Great photos Gary, thanks for sharing.

I've played Moray once and remember 17 & 18 vividly, two excellent finishing holes.  I don't remember the early holes so well, probably because of the distraction of the jets constantly taking off and landing at the adjacent RAF base.
2014 to date: not actually played anywhere yet!
Still to come: Hollins Hall; Ripon City; Shipley; Perranporth; St Enodoc

Gary Daughters

« Reply #55 on: February 07, 2009, 04:14:27 PM »

Andrew,

Those takeoffs and landings can be quite severe, or so I hear.

The trick is to play on a weekend.. flyboys take Sat-Sun off.

Landing lights = quirk?

THE NEXT SEVEN:  Alfred E. Tupp Holmes Municipal Golf Course, Willi Plett's Sportspark and Driving Range, Peachtree, Par 56, Browns Mill, Cross Creek, Piedmont Driving Club

Phil McDade

« Reply #56 on: February 08, 2009, 08:51:27 AM »
Gary:

Machrihanish's 9th has similar landing lights visible from the fairway for the adjacent airport, although I don't think it gets nearly as much traffic as Moray Old.

Have you played Moray New? How does it compare to the Old? I've heard great things about the Old, esp. the St. Andrews-like fee to the closing hole.

Gary Daughters

Re: Lesser Known Scottish Holes - An Ideal 18 New
« Reply #57 on: February 08, 2009, 12:15:15 PM »
Phil,

I did not play Moray New.

The weather was so dreadful in the morning we didn't think we were going to play at all.  But the morning round turned out to be so enjoyable that after lunch I went out again.

Moray Old is a very straightforward Old Tom course.  A few scraggly dunes aside, the landscape is unremarkable.  But the course is solid and very fun.  The greens were like glass and they have some really cool ripples.

The locals are known to gather on the hillside and benches above number 18 and applaud nice shots.  It's pretty neat.

Paul Lawrie won a Scottish Open there.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2009, 12:28:58 PM by Gary Daughters »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back