News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Steve_ Shaffer

A New Vision for a Country Club
« on: February 03, 2009, 09:19:04 AM »
Forget about golf, it's for motor sports enthusiasts:

http://www.motorsportcc.com

The Motor Sport Country Club of Colorado, on 2,600 acres about an hour’s drive southeast of Denver, will include four Formula One-inspired racetracks, known as the Ring of the Rockies, designed by Hermann Tilke. Envisioned as a place where owners can get the most out of their high-priced sports cars and motorcycles, the club has already signed Rusty Wallace, former Nascar driver, and Brandon Marshall of the Denver Broncos as members. Current plans call for 50 homesites, each 35 acres, which are being sold as a package with the club’s founding memberships. Buyers will have houses designed and built for them independently while adhering to architectural guidelines. A driving school will be available, as will high-performance cars for those who don’t bring their own. There will be a clubhouse with a spa, a fitness center, a pool, a wine-tasting room, a cigar bar and the restaurant.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2009, 09:21:43 AM by Steve_ Shaffer »
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Sam Maryland

Re: A New Vision for a Country Club
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2009, 10:03:44 AM »
any idea which bank is on the hook for this one?

Craig Sweet

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2009, 10:06:33 AM »
If I recall last spring when Garland, Slagburt, and i played Blue Heron in Portland the roar from the near by race track was rather....loud.  I bet this club in Colorado will be a quiet peaceful place to live....not!
LOCK HIM UP!!!

John Moore II

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2009, 10:11:27 AM »
I have heard of places like this before. Just another way for the rich to spend money. In Raleigh (and many major cities I'd think) we have a couple of tennis based 'country clubs' that charge as much as most of the golf clubs. So long as people have money to spend, they'll find odd ways to spend it.

jeffwarne

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2009, 10:17:05 AM »
so I buy a 35 acre lot, build a mansion,

........and go to the club to use the pool and work out ??? ???
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Jerry Kluger

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2009, 11:04:13 AM »
I don't see why golfers would find this to be unusual - just a way to spend a few hours on a weekend.  I believe that there are similar properties in New York, Palm Beach and Las Vegas.  In Germany, there is a venue which is open to the public and you can just pay a fee to drive a ten mile road course as fast as you can. 

Bruce Katona

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2009, 11:04:32 AM »
Why do I have a sneaky feeling this project may either be on hold or struggling to get financed?

Jay Kirkpatrick

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2009, 11:25:22 AM »
http://racehighrock.com/home.aspx

here is another one that is being built in NC... between Charlotte and Greensboro.  can't imagine these concepts are too popular right now given the economic environment.  then again, we certainly love "racing" here in the carolinas.

John Moore II

« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2009, 02:57:03 PM »
http://racehighrock.com/home.aspx

here is another one that is being built in NC... between Charlotte and Greensboro.  can't imagine these concepts are too popular right now given the economic environment.  then again, we certainly love "racing" here in the carolinas.

Yes, but it makes me laugh that we are building a road course here in the Carolinas. 'Round here we like to go fast and turn left. We don't like none of them right hand turns. ;D

Like I said, just another way for the rich to spend through money.

JESII

« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2009, 03:05:11 PM »
That could be built on the front niine at Huntingdon Valley?

Kyle Harris

« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2009, 03:05:45 PM »
That could be built on the front niine at Huntingdon Valley?

According to Doak.

JC Urbina

« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2009, 05:08:52 PM »
Steve

Now your talking. 

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2009, 05:29:46 PM »
Funny. You leave the big city to avoid the noise and the traffic....

Jim, Kyle - I assume Tom meant the canted fairways there, but I think the turns at Daytona or Talledega have 45 degree banks...which means that if you get a golf ball moving at 200 miles per hour it'll stick

Peter

John Moore II

« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2009, 05:35:05 PM »
Funny. You leave the big city to avoid the noise and the traffic....

Jim, Kyle - I assume Tom meant the canted fairways there, but I think the turns at Daytona or Talledega have 45 degree banks...which means that if you get a golf ball moving at 200 miles per hour it'll stick

Peter

The banks are not quite 45 degrees, they are closer to 35 degrees. Either way, the point stands.

C. Squier

« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2009, 08:03:34 PM »
Gotta love a website trying to sell memberships up to $2,500,000 looks like it was designed by a high schooler. 

Kyle Harris

« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2009, 09:48:31 PM »
Gotta love a website trying to sell memberships up to $2,500,000 looks like it was designed by a high schooler. 

Couldn't agree more. Some old guy have me some stock in this company awhile back:

http://www.berkshirehathaway.com/

I went to that website and found it lacking in everything so I just gave it away to some friend of mine. Oddly enough, that same friend moved to some island he was able to purchase soon after. I guess he hid his wealth from me very effectively!

David Stamm

« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2009, 11:23:00 PM »
I don't see why golfers would find this to be unusual - just a way to spend a few hours on a weekend.  I believe that there are similar properties in New York, Palm Beach and Las Vegas.  In Germany, there is a venue which is open to the public and you can just pay a fee to drive a ten mile road course as fast as you can. 

I believe you're thinking of the Nurburgring (also known as the 'Ring). It's actually a public toll road and is the greatest race track in the world. In the '20's it was 17.5 miles long. Today, it's about 13 w/ about 170 turns. It's the annual site of the 24 Hours of Nurburgring and has been the test site for Porsche, BMW and Mercedes Benz for many years.
"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

Jim Sweeney

« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2009, 09:48:47 AM »
Somjeone tried a similar thing west of Phoenix (no pool/spa/wine/cigar stuff, though) and got shut down because he had mislead zoning officials on the purpose. For the short time it did operate the noise was horrible.

I don't find this effort surprising at all- there are a number of private clubs with homesites and private hangers for the flying crowd. I actually think this could work, though I wouldn't include all the luxuries were I the developer unles the membership demanded them later.
"Hope and fear, hope and Fear, that's what people see when they play golf. Not me. I only see happiness."

" Two things I beleive in: good shoes and a good car. Alligator shoes and a Cadillac."

Moe Norman

David Stamm

« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2009, 09:54:53 AM »
"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back