News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Anthony Gray

Dormant Grass Around Traps New
« on: February 03, 2009, 08:03:18 AM »
   In the past week's PGA event I liked the contrast in color of the grass around the traps from the fairway.

How is this achieved?

Are the faiways overseeded and trap areas not?

Is this look seasonal?

Is this unique to desert golf?

Anthony

« Last Edit: February 05, 2009, 07:53:08 AM by Anthony Gray »

Dave Givnish

Re: Dormat Grass Around Traps
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2009, 08:10:25 AM »
Mechanically, I think that they use a board or some other barrier when overseeding to prevent the rye from getting into the bunker surround areas.  If you looked at an overview of the TPC, you'll notice that there were several other areas of outlying rough that were not seeded as well.

That is the look from about late November (first frost) to early March depending on weather and type of bermuda.

Dave

Anthony_Nysse

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2009, 08:16:07 AM »
There was an article in the most recent Golf Course Management that the out of play areas were not overseed on purpose-to save money.
  The bunker surrounds were not overseed on purpose as well-This gives a great, defined look and also cuts back on the edging/fly mowing of the bunkers during the winter season with ryegrass. Those edges are seeded with a drop seeder along a specific line. The inside areas that you see dormant, have a preemergent applied to them, so no ryegrass will establish. I'm sure that they touched up the bunker faces within the last month for any "renagade ryegrass" that popped up.

Tony Nysse
Asst. Supt.
Colonial CC
Ft. Worth, TX
Anthony J. Nysse
Director of Golf Courses & Grounds
Apogee Club
Hobe Sound, FL

Kyle Harris

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2009, 09:18:55 AM »
There was an article in the most recent Golf Course Management that the out of play areas were not overseed on purpose-to save money.
  The bunker surrounds were not overseed on purpose as well-This gives a great, defined look and also cuts back on the edging/fly mowing of the bunkers during the winter season with ryegrass. Those edges are seeded with a drop seeder along a specific line. The inside areas that you see dormant, have a preemergent applied to them, so no ryegrass will establish. I'm sure that they touched up the bunker faces within the last month for any "renagade ryegrass" that popped up.

Tony Nysse
Asst. Supt.
Colonial CC
Ft. Worth, TX

I always got worried about measuring half tablespoons of Monument into 15 gallon sprayers...

Just saw this yesterday in Souther Delaware. The bunkers looked as though they were sodded with a different flavor of fescue than the rest of the rough.

Adam Clayman

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2009, 09:22:09 AM »
What's a trap?

Back to rehab. ;D
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Anthony_Nysse

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2009, 09:26:38 AM »

Tony Nysse
Asst. Supt.
Colonial CC
Ft. Worth, TX

I always got worried about measuring half tablespoons of Monument into 15 gallon sprayers...

Just saw this yesterday in Souther Delaware. The bunkers looked as though they were sodded with a different flavor of fescue than the rest of the rough.
  Kyle,
    Not saying that they use this, but if they get cold enough and want instant results and not have to worry about the product running, they MIGHT use Reward instead of having to wait for Monument, Tranzit, Revolver....
Anthony J. Nysse
Apogee Club
Hobe Sound, FL

Nick Pozaric

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2009, 08:48:01 PM »
At Valhalla Golf Club the bunkers have zoysia around them with bluegrass rough after that.  Nice look in the off season.  They went with zoysia because it holds up better in the summer time and didn't die out like the bluegrass did with all of the bunker shots and foot traffic.

TEPaul

« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2009, 09:31:51 PM »
Anthony:

This is only what some of the best speakers after a good tournament would say----eg "I just have a few "housekeeping items" before we get on to the good stuff"----but in that vein perhaps since you started this thread you would be good enough to change the title of this thread from "Dormat" grass to "Dormant" grass!  ;)

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2009, 09:36:08 PM »
Oh...I thought this whole Artificial Movement in course design had reached a new low, and they were now sodding that wiry, synthetic astroturfy stuff around bunkers.   ::) ;D

Anthony_Nysse

« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2009, 07:11:39 AM »
At Valhalla Golf Club the bunkers have zoysia around them with bluegrass rough after that.  Nice look in the off season.  They went with zoysia because it holds up better in the summer time and didn't die out like the bluegrass did with all of the bunker shots and foot traffic.

Nick,
  I'd venture to guess that they also installed the zoysia around the bunkers to cut back on flymowing and trimming. Zoysia grows MUCH slower, therefore requiring less mowing time, or hand laber in their case.

Tony Nysse
Asst. Supt.
Colonial CC
Ft. Worth, TX
Anthony J. Nysse
Apogee Club
Hobe Sound, FL

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back