News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Adam Russell

Re: New courses you're most looking forward to being opened
« Reply #75 on: February 23, 2009, 08:55:06 AM »
Question - CommonGround #16 - Those trees look like an effective wall in the pics, not sure how "in play" they are? Surprised no one has asked about them based on the many discussion about trees, especially on dog legs. Looks like a great affordable course though, especially with the cross bunkering and raised greens.
If the drive finishes on the left half of the fairway and is not long enough, the trees will definitely be in play - in fact, will block aerial access to the green. The ideal drive will be down the right side of the fairway, longer the better.

The photo was taken way to the right of the tee box, so it skews where the trees sit in relation to the fairway. It seems less of a dogleg and more of a open field with two trees left of the tee. The main draw to me was that standing on the tee, driving over the trees seems like a great option to gaining a better angle to green, especially if the pin was front right. But if you do fly the trees on that side, there's a blind bunker (semi-blind, Mike?) behind the trees that will probably catch it. I thought it was an effective design solution to trap long hitters on a short hole with a wide fairway. Also a good way to play into someone's aggressiveness coming down the stretch in a match. And pretty funny if you think about someone flying the trees only to find the ball in a bunker.  :o
The only way that I could figure they could improve upon Coca-Cola, one of life's most delightful elixirs, which studies prove will heal the sick and occasionally raise the dead, is to put rum or bourbon in it.” -Lewis Grizzard

Trey Kemp

« Reply #76 on: February 23, 2009, 11:15:20 AM »
Cleburne Golf Links in Cleburne, Texas opens in late June/early July.  The course is on a nice piece of land next to Lake Pat Cleburne.

Who designed it?

Colligan Golf Design out of Arlington, TX - www.colligangolf.com
twitter.com/TreyKempGCA

Lester George

« Reply #77 on: February 23, 2009, 11:43:30 AM »
Bill,

For what you get, I think Ballyhack Golf Club is the best value east of the Mississippi River without question.  Of course, I am biased, but those who have stood on it say many similar things.

Our Golf Professional, Jonathan Ireland (no, we didn't hire him because of his name) will be placing the membership options on here today or tomorrow. 

Come see it before it opens.  Just shedule it with Jonathan or me.

Lester

SL_Solow

« Reply #78 on: February 23, 2009, 11:50:33 AM »
Jack Crisham;
Why are you looking forward to this opening other than it is a new course in Chicago?  Arthur Hills on a landfill with lots of non-golf amenities.

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #79 on: March 03, 2009, 04:19:07 PM »
Well, this isn't at the top of my list but,
The Links at Half Moon Bay-Westport (WA)
http://www.lanco-dev.com/thelinks.htm. There are some early construction photos, no grow in tho.

The PNGA magazine says this is one of six courses likely to open in 2009 in the greater Pacific NW.
Others include Wine Valley (Walla Walla, WA), a second Nicklaus 9 at Bear Mountain Resort near Victoria, BC; Desert Falls G&CC near Hermiston in NE Oregon; Huntsman Springs near Briggs, ID a private deelopment by DM Kidd and Galena Ridge near Kellogg ID, affiliated with Jeld Wen done by in-house designer John Tronson (Eagle Crest).

Derek Dirksen

« Reply #80 on: March 13, 2009, 08:16:38 PM »
How about the Patriot GC in Owasso, OK.  Going to be a great course.  They have 4 different environments: canyon holes, wooded holes, prairie holes, and low meadow holes.  1st tee shot drops off over 198 feet into a canyon.  Not what you would expect just outside of Tulsa, OK.  The course will be home to Dan Rooney and the Folds of Honor Foundation (Patriot Golf Day). 

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #81 on: March 14, 2009, 12:38:28 AM »
This shows how out of touch I have become during this romance in Europe. I was not even aware of CommonGround. I am so looking forward to Ole McDonald bad name and all.

Jim Nugent

« Reply #82 on: March 14, 2009, 02:29:56 AM »
Tiger, great name and all.  I'm looking forward to it, too. 

Mike Fowler

« Reply #83 on: March 16, 2009, 01:43:38 AM »
My new home course, The Resort at Village Creek in Wynne, Arkansas. 27 hole facility designed by Andy Dye. Oliphant Golf did all the construction work. 9 holes have been open since November 18 more to open this summer. Extremely difficult. We do not get a lot of new top notch public golf courses in Arkansas. Based on everything I've seen, this will be the best public facility in the state! Can't wait!

Brad Butzke

« Reply #84 on: March 16, 2009, 04:27:01 PM »
Being new, I'd like first add, "Great topic, love the site.."

How 'bout reopen? I'm looking forward to June when Erin Hills is scheduled open for the year. Of course, with softened features on #2, #7, #10, and #17. Should be interesting to see how they're able to keep the natural feelilng of the course/design, with making the holes in question more playable or less severe.

Mike Bowline

« Reply #85 on: March 17, 2009, 09:58:54 PM »
Being new, I'd like first add, "Great topic, love the site.."

How 'bout reopen? I'm looking forward to June when Erin Hills is scheduled open for the year. Of course, with softened features on #2, #7, #10, and #17. Should be interesting to see how they're able to keep the natural feelilng of the course/design, with making the holes in question more playable or less severe.

Don't forget the totally new green on #4 - too bad IMHO.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back