News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Bob_Huntley

O/T Bull Dogs and Gamecocks?
« on: January 30, 2009, 03:36:21 PM »
Does any one here recall Lew Grizzard's famous headline prior to one of their big games?

Bob

Mike_Young

Re: O/T Bull Dogs and Gamecocks?
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2009, 03:45:14 PM »
Yes,
I play golf all the time with one of the participants....Happy Dicks.
Do you know his roomate at the time of the incident?
"just standing on a corner in Winslow Arizona"

Brent Hutto

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2009, 03:46:08 PM »
Would you by any chance mean the following?

DOGS TO PLAY COCKS WITH DICKS OUT

http://forums.onlineathens.com/cgi-bin/bb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=11;t=012132

Brent Hutto

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2009, 03:48:09 PM »
Mike,

Was he rooming with Billy Payne?

Presumably the same one from the Olympics, Augusta National and so forth.

Greg Holland

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2009, 04:03:17 PM »
I love Lewis.  Two of my favorite stories he told are, obviously, about UGA -"That dog would bite youuuu" and Tell it all -- "Damn, brother, I don't believe I'd a told that."

Brent Hutto

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2009, 04:06:09 PM »
I like his comment about not getting married any more. Just find a woman he hates and give her a house.

He died way too young.

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2009, 04:09:58 PM »
Would you by any chance mean the following?

DOGS TO PLAY COCKS WITH DICKS OUT

http://forums.onlineathens.com/cgi-bin/bb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=11;t=012132

Brent,

I knew you would find the source.

What a headline.

Bob

Brent Hutto

« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2009, 04:14:19 PM »
Speaking as a life-long 'cock I'd say that headline captures the true essence, or spirit if you will, of UGA-USC intercourse over at least the 40 years or so to which I can bear witness.

Phil McDade

« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2009, 04:28:36 PM »
Bob:

True story (RJ Daley can confirm, since it happened in his current town of residence...)

A guy working the late-night editing shift on one of the Green Bay newspapers was charged with writing a headline for an Associated Press story that detailed the record number of vetoes issued in the state budget bill by our former governor, Tommy Thompson. The governor was quite liberal with the veto pen, and used it to literally re-write portions of the budget bill, and gut some favored programs put in the bill by the Legislature.

The headline he wrote:

"Thompson's pen is a sword"

On the editing table, the editor cut out the space between the second and third words of the headline. It got printed. He was fired the next day.

Mike_Young

« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2009, 05:58:27 PM »
Mike,

Was he rooming with Billy Payne?

Presumably the same one from the Olympics, Augusta National and so forth.

Yep..he was..Happy is a Neurosurgeon in Athens.....and now plays Mountain Lakes much.....I actually think he met John Burnhart a few weeks back down there.....
"just standing on a corner in Winslow Arizona"

Mark Bourgeois

« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2009, 09:10:13 PM »
One time Lewis Grizzard was driving through Tuscaloosa.  When he rolled down the window, he wrote, someone threw an Alabama diploma in.

Ray Cross

« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2009, 01:00:21 PM »
UGA grad-----1959.    Never met Lewis but had an interview with Furman Bisher once. After I moved away, friends used to mail me copies of Lewis's columns from the paper. New friends in other cities never seemed to understand his humor.
Had to have been from there, I guess.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2009, 02:48:17 PM »
Lewis was born in Moreland, Georgia, which is a wide spot on US 29 just south of Newnan, Georgia, where I was born at about the same time.  If my parents hadn't moved to Northern California when I was 4 yrs old, Lewis and I would have eventually gone to high school and maybe UGA together.  The mind reels. 

I have some mutual friends although I never met Lewis.  If you have a copy of Lewis' golf book, "Does a Wild Bear Chip in the Woods?" there is a chapter where Lewis and my two friends go on a golf trip to Northern Ireland and then by small plane to Gleneagles.  This chapter is absolutely hysterical although written by one of the friends, Mike Steed.  Apparently Lewis was terrified of flying so got very drunk on the small plane from Portrush to Gleneagles.  During the course of the first night in the hotel, it was noted that he checked in three times!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back