News:

Welcome to the Golf Club Atlas Discussion Group!

Please note, each user is approved by the Golf Club Atlas editorial staff. For any new inquiries, please contact us and we will be in contact.

Mark Pearce

Re: Tiger vs. Mcllroy - dream match
« Reply #25 on: February 27, 2009, 02:03:24 AM »
God forbid that Oliver Wilson and Ross Fisher make the final.   It would be the worst nightmare in televised golf history.
Actually that would be a great final, Fisher hits the ball miles and Wilson squeezes everything out of his game.  Two really good players coming into the best years of their game.  I'd much rather watch that than, say, Cink v Mickelson.  Sadly the bracket has them meet in the semi-final. 
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #26 on: February 27, 2009, 05:30:26 PM »
Mcllroy is still alive although Tim Clark really putted poorly today.  Furyk and Mickelson are on their way home which hurts the tournament for star power.  Maybe Ernie can provide magic.

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #27 on: February 27, 2009, 05:34:36 PM »
This would be a fine opportunity for Phil to win a golf tournament and put some serious pressue on the World Rankings.  It would be really nice to see him buckle up and make the run now that Tiger has returned.  Then he could just say he didn't want to do it while Tiger was away because he knew there would be an asterisk involved.  If Mickelson wins this week and the Masters, I'm guessing he'd have to be pretty close to #1.

P-Mick haters, fire away!!!!

Cink wins 1Up.  Sorry, Tim.

And man, one has to be REALLY into professional golf to get into a match between Oliver Wilson and Ross Fisher.  Mark Pearce, I mean no offense... but methinks I'd rather watch paint dry.

;D ;D

Greg Chambers

« Reply #28 on: February 27, 2009, 05:42:51 PM »
who and who?
"It's good sportsmanship to not pick up lost golf balls while they are still rolling.”

George Pazin

« Reply #29 on: February 27, 2009, 05:47:44 PM »
Leonard just eliminated Wilson, sorry Wilson fans.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #30 on: February 27, 2009, 05:48:29 PM »
Leonard just eliminated Wilson, sorry Wilson fans.

All three of them just wailed like banshees.

;D

Tim Pitner

« Reply #31 on: February 27, 2009, 06:09:36 PM »
Wilson seems like a grinder, but Fisher made 7 birdies in 15 holes and polished off Furyk 4-3.  Ross Fisher's pretty good. 

Brian_Sleeman

« Reply #32 on: February 27, 2009, 06:15:01 PM »
The new dream match: Els vs McIlroy

Ian Dalzell

« Reply #33 on: February 27, 2009, 06:25:05 PM »
Guys,
You might not know who Rory McIlroy is, but everyone in Ireland and Europe does.  If you check your world rankings sheets you might find his name oh, say around #17 or so . . . .  and he is only 19 years of age!!

He is the real deal.  When he was 16 years of age he went around Royal Portrush in a stroke play qualifier for the North of Ireland Amateur Championship, with crowds following, in 61 blows - 11-under par on a top-20 in the world course!!!  Obviously that is and will be for some time the course record.  Rough must have been down that week ;D

Last month he won in Dubai and was paired with O'Meara (or Mark It Near'a as they call him in Europe ;)), and O'Meara excalimed that he is better at 19 than Tiger was at 19.

Now I don't buy that, but he is certainly being tapped as the next great thing to come out of Europe.  He is sure to be many a Ryder Cup team, and would be a good partner for Darren if he can make it back on the team.

Story has it that Rory has received quite a few Sponsors Exemptions this season so you will see him a little bit.

Watch out :o

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #34 on: February 27, 2009, 07:08:17 PM »
For some reason I've followed Mcllroy and know who he is.  On the other hand I have no idea who Fisher and Wilson are.

The thing I've notice about Mcllroy is he can putt, lights out.  He did it in Dubai and of all the matches I have watched in this tournament he seems to make everything from 20 feet.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #35 on: February 27, 2009, 07:08:37 PM »
The new dream match: Els vs McIlroy

Ogilvie  - McIlroy should be a very good match tomorrow morning!

Brian_Sleeman

« Reply #36 on: February 27, 2009, 07:41:31 PM »
Agreed Bill.  As far as McIlroy vs Tiger at 19, he certainly seems to be turning in better results than Tiger did at that age vs the pros.  Granted, Tiger wasn't playing regular pro events, but you have to think his practice even then was at least as rigorous as anything Rory is doing.  He seems to be the real deal and he turned me into a fan in a hurry.

Mark Pearce

« Reply #37 on: February 28, 2009, 12:54:20 AM »
Last month he won in Dubai and was paired with O'Meara (or Mark It Near'a as they call him in Europe ;)), and O'Meara excalimed that he is better at 19 than Tiger was at 19.
That comment has been so widely misreported it has almost become gospel.  O'Meara didn't say McIlroy was better than Tiger at 19, he said he was a better ball striker than Tiger at 19.  Subtle difference, but an important one.

Ross Fisher hits the ball miles and has lots of game.  He may be the best young Englishman out there, though watch out for his namesake Oliver Fisher (easy to confuse Ross Fisher, Oliver Wilson and Oliver Fisher).  Ross won't be scared of anyone.  Just a shame he doen't get to play Wilson.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #38 on: February 28, 2009, 03:52:57 PM »
Well now he's gone, dusted by Oglivey who looks awesome.  Els is gone as well.

David_Tepper

« Reply #39 on: February 28, 2009, 07:09:33 PM »
No tournament better exemplifies the vagaries of match play than this one.

That being said, hats off to Geoff Ogilvey for making the finals for 3 out of the past 4 years. He was the only one of the top 8 seeds to make it to the quarter-finals.  
« Last Edit: February 28, 2009, 07:24:14 PM by David_Tepper »

Ed Tilley

« Reply #40 on: March 01, 2009, 09:20:04 AM »
A couple of quotes re Mr Mcllroy.

Ernie Els - He will be the next number one player

Geoff Ogilvy - There's been a lot of hype, but it's fair. He's the real deal. Far and away the best young player I've ever seen.

61 around Portrush! I think the course record before was 64 or 65.

You never know how a 19 year old will turn out. There have been many examples of hugely talented golfers not making it as expected, but this guy's got every chance. I think he's ranked 14 or 15 now and that's only going to go up as he plays in the majors and WGC events that he hasn't played in before. I would not be surprised if he's ranked in the top 10 before the Open - and he's only 19.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back