News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Steve Salmen

Great pieces of land that could use a golf course
« on: January 29, 2009, 01:29:47 PM »
Supposedly the members of HCEG have discussed for years adding a second course.   I suppose Mr. Doak would be an ideal candidate to do it since he was able to build a few holes in the dunes at the Renaissance next door.

There appeared to be great linksland near the Berwick Upon Tweed Golf Club, 50 or so miles east of Gullane.  There's already one good course there and more than enough room for another.

Finally, can't wait for Machrihanish Dunes to open.  That land is phonomenal.  Anyone have an idea when it may open?

Sean Leary

Re: Great pieces of land that could use a golf course
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2009, 01:41:56 PM »
Seems like the Maine coast should be able to produce a great course somewhere along it.

Jeff Spittel

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2009, 02:16:30 PM »
As I was driving on Highway 290 this summer from Houston to Austin, I noticed some very appealing rolling farmland right before you get to the hill country. The land is quite open with widely scattered, mature trees and seemed like it would make an ideal setting for a golf course.

Not as dramatic as something on the coast but maybe my fellow TX CGAers can back me up on this.   

Fare and be well now, let your life proceed by its own design.

brad_miller

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2009, 02:30:49 PM »
Given that it is currently difficult to make a new course work even with free land this seems just pie in the sky. It would seem to be the only building of new courses that makes sense is around and in addition to an existing project, something like Old MacDonald. I believe projects in the planning stage will be put on hold, those that are in process many will be stopped and the many with memberships that are not yet sold out and are charging too much and don't have positive cash flow are in big trouble. There will be plenty of this to talk about in 2009.

Mark Pearce

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2009, 02:41:37 PM »
Supposedly the members of HCEG have discussed for years adding a second course.   I suppose Mr. Doak would be an ideal candidate to do it since he was able to build a few holes in the dunes at the Renaissance next door.

There appeared to be great linksland near the Berwick Upon Tweed Golf Club, 50 or so miles east of Gullane.  There's already one good course there and more than enough room for another.

Finally, can't wait for Machrihanish Dunes to open.  That land is phonomenal.  Anyone have an idea when it may open?
I don't think there's much chance of a second course at HCEG.  As one member said to me "why would we want another golf course when we already have the best one in the world?"  It's not as if they would be that keen on increased visitor play.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Michael Wharton-Palmer

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2009, 03:17:15 PM »
The marvelous Dune country that is untouched in Chile...wonderful location just waiting for development.
Attractive coastal area that could be a gold mine..

Mike Benham

« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2009, 03:27:44 PM »
"... and I liked the guy ..."

Sean_A

« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2009, 05:18:00 PM »
Go to Pennard.  Play the 1st & 2nd holes.  Walk to the 3rd tee.  Look forward and right then turn around and take a look.  This is the most majestic piece of land which could accommodate something like a 9 hole (maybe 7 holes) par 3 course.  To be honest, as it seems the club won't make a move, I am not sure why an archie looking for an opportunity to show his stuff hasn't made a move on the club.  The land is really that good.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Craig Sweet

« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2009, 05:35:23 PM »
Just off Hwy 200...south/west of Ovando, MT....might be the best piece of land in Montana
LOCK HIM UP!!!

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2009, 05:57:47 PM »

I, of course can’t talk about sites in North America, but here in GB&I there are many untouched areas that could be ideal for links courses. Yet I must first wonder why in a time of falling numbers playing golf would anyone actually go to the expense of building a new links course – perhaps with the exception of Trump.

The interesting part of my on going research into course from the 19th Century is that I have found or come across many lost and closed courses that could be the starting point for new courses. Not forgetting that we have a multitude of inland closed courses that have also disappeared and which again could be the basis of new courses.

I would go one step further and advise that there are many courses out there throughout our islands that are still open and just waiting for visitors to discover them. The problem as always is everyone wants to play the well known courses yet in truth while they are more than enjoyable, there are many more small gems still lurking out there for the unsuspecting golfer to experience.

GB&I is way more than just the general 14 days offered by Golfing tours, but it takes a brave golfer who is willing to gamble with his limited time over here to decide to go off the beaten track and perhaps miss Dornoch, Cruden, North Berwick etc, etc. But I say be adventurous, plan your golfing holiday carefully and incorporate a mix of out of the way course with your favourites.

To those who have not had fun or enjoyed our courses, I would just say did you come over to play golf with an open mind or in your normal mindset and discovered it was not what you had expected. It’s a lot of money to visit our shore, so adjust your game to take best advantage of the courses and your skills. Links course have great fairways so use them in the windy conditions. We may not have long courses but that does not mean they are pussycats.

We have many sites and sections of land (new and closed) that can still be made into great courses.

Melvyn       

PCCraig

« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2009, 06:19:21 PM »
Cuba, Cuba, Cuba, Cuba.
H.P.S.

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2009, 07:36:47 PM »
It'll not happen because the land is too expensive, but the trip down PA 82 between Coatesville and Uniontown, PA is among the best inland land I've ever seen for golf.

Gently rolling hills, good soils, majestic views.  Bucolic doesn't do it justice.

hick

« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2009, 09:10:26 PM »
This is a picture of land my family has owned for 200 years on Block Island, RI.  The land you can see in the distance is Montauk.

hick

« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2009, 09:18:05 PM »
Here's a look further to the east than the photo above.  It's on the southwest point of the island.

MHiserman

« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2009, 01:30:27 AM »
Mr. Hickey,
I beg you.  Start the process!
Merrill Hiserman
"Whether my schedule for the next day called for a tournament round or a trip to the practice tee, the prospect that there was going to be golf in it made me feel priviledged and extremely happy, and I couldn't wait for the sun to come up the next morning so that I could get on the course"-BH

Rich Goodale

« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2009, 01:38:04 AM »
Next time you are in Dornoch, take the time to walk the land north from the 9th tee towards Embo.

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2009, 02:04:12 AM »
Driving down to Bandon, if you take the Drain-Reedsport highway you eventually come to Scottsburg, where a bridge crosses the river. A few miles before the small town there is a wide pastureland with some neat contours where Weatherly Creek meets the Umpqua.

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2009, 06:00:46 AM »

This is Skagen on the northern tip of Denmark. Miles and miles of dunes, but I bet you'd never get planning permission.

Chris_Clouser

« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2009, 08:48:13 AM »
I've mentioned several times on here a place between Carmel and Noblesville in Indiana off of 146th street that would have been a great location for a shortish 18 hole or nine hole facility that could be low key and would have great land movement.  Unfortunately, one of the people that prevented that idea from taking shape was a developer who wanted the land to turn it into a high-scale housing development.  Guess which one came out on top.  Who knows, maybe when all of those homes go into foreclosure someone can come in scoop it up and salvage what could still be a nice layout.

Brad Tufts

« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2009, 11:32:53 AM »
I noticed one in ID when driving up to Tamarack.  Just off to the right, a sand-covered expanse with pine trees on it, maybe 10 miles south of Donnelly...
So I jump ship in Hong Kong....

Sam Morrow

« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2009, 11:38:13 AM »
As I was driving on Highway 290 this summer from Houston to Austin, I noticed some very appealing rolling farmland right before you get to the hill country. The land is quite open with widely scattered, mature trees and seemed like it would make an ideal setting for a golf course.

Not as dramatic as something on the coast but maybe my fellow TX CGAers can back me up on this.   

Before or after Brenham?

D_Malley

« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2009, 12:21:43 PM »
mat H,
Block island is just an awesome place.  how many acres does your family have up there? 
There must be many restrictions as to what can and can not be built on the island in
order for it to have stayed very underdeveloped.  i visited ther for a long weekend several years ago and had a great time.  i remember watching the ryder cup at brookline at the national.

Kirk Gill

« Reply #22 on: January 30, 2009, 12:56:44 PM »

Just kidding. I'm sure that a lot of the pieces of land out there that could use a golf course could also stand being left alone, although Mat's pictures from Block Island did cause some drool to form.
"After all, we're not communists."
                             -Don Barzini

Tim Leahy

« Reply #23 on: January 30, 2009, 01:10:34 PM »
The dunes at Seaside, Ca on the Monterey Bay just below Fort Ord. Unbelievable natural links land.
I love golf, the fightin irish, and beautiful women depending on the season and availability.

Jeff Spittel

« Reply #24 on: January 30, 2009, 03:23:57 PM »

Before or after Brenham?

I honestly can't recall, Sam. Had a few too many at the Save Muny tournament and out in A-Town that weekend.
Fare and be well now, let your life proceed by its own design.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back