News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ed Oden

Re: RTJ
« Reply #50 on: November 10, 2009, 12:19:47 PM »
Maybe the biggest, wildest green I've ever played is the 10th at Peachtree. The irony is that - given its size - there are relatively few pinnable areas.

Bob

Bob, good call.  Here is a photo...

Its probably the biggest punchbowl green I have seen.  I'm guessing the right and left flanks are largely unpinnable.  Regardless, a fantastic green.

Ed

Matt_Ward

« Reply #51 on: November 10, 2009, 01:52:23 PM »
Ed:

How is a green "fantastic" if the bulk of the green is virtually unputtable ?

Ed Oden

« Reply #52 on: November 10, 2009, 03:10:59 PM »
Matt, the comments were about pinnability not puttability.  No one ever suggested the "bulk of the green is virtually unputtable".  You pulled that one out of thin air.  My "guess" was merely that the edges are not pinnable since they curl up in punchbowl fashion.  Since when are unpinnable areas an indicator of poor quality?  How many great greens don't have unpinnable locations?  I've only played Peachtree once, so I am no expert.  But I found the #10 green to be equal parts fun, challenging and baffling. 

Ed

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #53 on: November 10, 2009, 03:36:38 PM »
I remember that green well!

What it demonstrates to me is that old RTJ sure had some of the Golden Age concepts in mind at points of his career.  Its funny how we tend to remember him for the repititious stuff.
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Matt_Ward

« Reply #54 on: November 10, 2009, 04:08:24 PM »
Ed:

At today's modern speeds for what greens are cut today there are many greens -- the 10th at Peachtree included -- that have become the modern equivalent of putt-putt -- save for the clown's mouth and the bowling pins.

If the green speeds were reduced to say 6-7 on the stimp then that's a different matter. When you get speeds upwards of 10 or more then the design has gone overboard in my mind. The same holds true for the old time designers who designed major contours with the idea that a well-played putt could be made. I think they would be shocked to see their designs have speeds which are truly mindboggling for the contours they possess.

Ed, it's a semantic exercise -- if a green contains major areas which are unpinnable hence they are by logical extension unputtable.

The back of the former 18th at Lake at Olympic fits that bill quite nicely.

Ed Oden

Re: RTJ New
« Reply #55 on: November 10, 2009, 04:30:19 PM »
Matt, just curious, have you actually putted #10 green at Peachtree?
« Last Edit: November 11, 2009, 10:58:48 AM by Ed Oden »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back