News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Craig Sweet

Monty?
« on: January 28, 2009, 10:30:04 AM »
Monty to captain Euro Ryder up...hmm.
LOCK HIM UP!!!

Greg Chambers

Re: Monty?
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2009, 10:33:12 AM »
Great choice.  Maybe he can qualify, too, and be a playing captain.
"It's good sportsmanship to not pick up lost golf balls while they are still rolling.”

Dan Boerger

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2009, 10:35:21 AM »
The man is all about the Ryder Cup. Never saw a golfer get up for that one single event better than he does. That stated, I would keep him as captain on his home turf. At times he seems hears clouds bumping, so even a well behaved partisan crowd could send him over the edge.
"Man should practice moderation in all things, including moderation."  Mark Twain

Bill_McBride

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2009, 10:36:57 AM »
It's just as well he'll captain in the UK, the US crowds could be too much!  ;D

I hope Olazabal gets a crack at it next, he's always been a class act, both as Seve's sidekick and Sergio's mentor.

Sam Morrow

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2009, 10:54:25 AM »
Great choice but does this mean that Sandy Lyle = Larry Nelson?

Pat Burke

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2009, 02:56:49 AM »
It's just as well he'll captain in the UK, the US crowds could be too much!  ;D

I hope Olazabal gets a crack at it next, he's always been a class act, both as Seve's sidekick and Sergio's mentor.
Bill,
I'll second that!  Ollie played in our Foundation's fundraiser pro am a couple years ago.  The kicker was that he played the day after he had lost the playoff in san Diego.  He drove up that night (about 2 hour drive) came to the cocktail party and was absolutely incredible with everyone.  A total class act.

RJ_Daley

« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2009, 03:44:54 AM »
They should move the venue out of Euro to Monty's course he designed in Dubai!!!  ;) ::) :P
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

James Boon

« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2009, 04:15:16 AM »

For all Sandy Lyle's great victories in the past, this is a man who pulled out of the Open last year because it was a bit wet and windy? We need a bit of fighting character to get the Cup back, which Monty has plenty of. Unfortunately, Sandy doesn't anymore...
2023 Highlights: Hollinwell (Notts), Brora, Aberdovey, Royal St Davids, Woodhall Spa, Broadstone, Parkstone, Cleeve, Painswick, Minchinhampton, Hoylake

"It celebrates the unadulterated pleasure of being in a dialogue with nature while knocking a ball round on foot." Richard Pennell

Sam Morrow

« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2009, 07:52:22 AM »

For all Sandy Lyle's great victories in the past, this is a man who pulled out of the Open last year because it was a bit wet and windy? We need a bit of fighting character to get the Cup back, which Monty has plenty of. Unfortunately, Sandy doesn't anymore...

That's no worse that Monty "improving his lie" during that delay a few years ago.

James Boon

« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2009, 08:45:32 AM »

That's no worse that Monty "improving his lie" during that delay a few years ago.

Sam,

I've always been a bit of a Monty fan but as he has often come in for criticism I have tended to not bother taking much notice when things have gone wrong for him, so I have to admit to missing that one?

What I was suprised about when Sandy pulled out of the Open was that surely most people from Scotland or elsewhere in Britain have grown up playing in those sort of conditions. Maybe if he had been a player from slightly warmer and dryer climate I could understand it, but a former Open Champion? A shame really, as he comes across as a nice bloke on TV, I just don't think he would be as up for the fight these days, and the Ryder Cup certainly needs strong characters, especially as Captains. Just look what Azinger managed to achieve...

Cheers,

James
2023 Highlights: Hollinwell (Notts), Brora, Aberdovey, Royal St Davids, Woodhall Spa, Broadstone, Parkstone, Cleeve, Painswick, Minchinhampton, Hoylake

"It celebrates the unadulterated pleasure of being in a dialogue with nature while knocking a ball round on foot." Richard Pennell

Sam Morrow

« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2009, 08:48:58 AM »

Sam,

I've always been a bit of a Monty fan but as he has often come in for criticism I have tended to not bother taking much notice when things have gone wrong for him, so I have to admit to missing that one?

What I was suprised about when Sandy pulled out of the Open was that surely most people from Scotland or elsewhere in Britain have grown up playing in those sort of conditions. Maybe if he had been a player from slightly warmer and dryer climate I could understand it, but a former Open Champion? A shame really, as he comes across as a nice bloke on TV, I just don't think he would be as up for the fight these days, and the Ryder Cup certainly needs strong characters, especially as Captains. Just look what Azinger managed to achieve...

Cheers,

James

I'll try and find the Monty story for you. I know on paper you want a strong captain but strong captains don't always get the job done, see Curtis Strange.

James Boon

« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2009, 08:55:05 AM »
Sam,

Good point! Though I have to admit that as a European I'm looking forward to seeing how Corey Pavin does as Captain. I'm not the longest hitter myself, so seeing how this little guy could still keep pace with some of the big hitters (like his 4wood to the last at Shinnecock) was always good to watch.

Cheers,

James

Sam Morrow

« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2009, 08:59:45 AM »
Here's the basic jist

Colin Montgomerie

The Scot fails to mark his ball beside a bunker when play at the Indonesian Open in March is halted by a thunderstorm. The ball is lost overnight and the Scot replaces it inaccurately, allowing him to play it without having to stand in the bunker. Watching on television, the Danish golfer Soren Kjeldsen spots the infringement and contacts the tournament referee, as does the Asian PGA tour board member Gerry Norquist. The referee decrees that no rule has been broken, but Montgomerie gives his winnings from finishing fourth to charity.

Sam Morrow

« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2009, 09:02:28 AM »
Sam,

Good point! Though I have to admit that as a European I'm looking forward to seeing how Corey Pavin does as Captain. I'm not the longest hitter myself, so seeing how this little guy could still keep pace with some of the big hitters (like his 4wood to the last at Shinnecock) was always good to watch.

Cheers,

James

I just don't know what it takes to be a good captain, I don't think there is one tried and true way that gets the job done. Many different styles have gotten the job done, I suppose at the end of the days you're only smart if your players are making their putts.

Scott Warren

« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2009, 09:07:21 AM »
I believe there are some links to stories about the Monty "improved lie" issue at Geoff Shackelford's website.

James Boon

« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2009, 09:25:36 AM »
Here's the basic jist

Colin Montgomerie

The Scot fails to mark his ball beside a bunker when play at the Indonesian Open in March is halted by a thunderstorm. The ball is lost overnight and the Scot replaces it inaccurately, allowing him to play it without having to stand in the bunker. Watching on television, the Danish golfer Soren Kjeldsen spots the infringement and contacts the tournament referee, as does the Asian PGA tour board member Gerry Norquist. The referee decrees that no rule has been broken, but Montgomerie gives his winnings from finishing fourth to charity.

Thanks Sam, now I remember!

All I'll say is when thinking of this type of thing, I usually think of what Darren Clarke did a few years ago in the Irish Open. After driving into deep rough, play was suspended and when he returned the following day some locals had improved his lie. But rather than take advantage of this he just hit a wedge back to the fairway as this is all he would have been able to do from his previously poor lie:
http://www.golftoday.co.uk/tours/2006/Nissan_Irish_Open/round_4.html

Cheers,

James

Sam Morrow

« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2009, 09:27:51 AM »
Here's the basic jist

Colin Montgomerie

Thanks Sam, now I remember!

All I'll say is when thinking of this type of thing, I usually think of what Darren Clarke did a few years ago in the Irish Open. After driving into deep rough, play was suspended and when he returned the following day some locals had improved his lie. But rather than take advantage of this he just hit a wedge back to the fairway as this is all he would have been able to do from his previously poor lie:
http://www.golftoday.co.uk/tours/2006/Nissan_Irish_Open/round_4.html

Cheers,

James

Thanks, I didn't recall hearing the Clarke story!

Rich Goodale

« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2009, 09:40:48 AM »
I think this is a great choice--for TV ratings and for the fortunes of the USA team.  Except for Ryder Cup play, Monty is a chronic underachiever, and as he is unlikely to play in Wales it will all boil down as to whether he can inspire his squad.  This I doubt, particulalry if things get tight, as they most assuredly will.  Also, given the fact that it is probable that the European team will be mostly Eurozone players, the fact that yet another Brit has been chosen as Captain can hardly be conducive to team harmony.  Or so I hope! ;)

Mark Pearce

« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2009, 10:05:11 AM »
I think this is a great choice--for TV ratings and for the fortunes of the USA team.  Except for Ryder Cup play, Monty is a chronic underachiever, and as he is unlikely to play in Wales it will all boil down as to whether he can inspire his squad.  This I doubt, particulalry if things get tight, as they most assuredly will.  Also, given the fact that it is probable that the European team will be mostly Eurozone players, the fact that yet another Brit has been chosen as Captain can hardly be conducive to team harmony.  Or so I hope! ;)
Remember Monty has already captained the GB&I team in the Seve Trophy 4 times.  Whilst it isn't on anything like the same scale the word is that those who played in those teams were extremely impressed by his captaincy.  He's bright (possibly too bright for a pro golfer) and articulate.  I don't see any reason to doubt his ability to inspire.  It can't be any less than Sandy Lyle's though, a lovely bloke but too laid back and disinterested, frankly.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2009, 10:17:56 AM »
"Smarting from their recent loss, the European side elects to bring out 'The Full Monty' in 2010!"

Thinking of Monty being part of the final scene of "The Full Monty" is not a pretty picture.  ;)

Mike Vegis @ Kiawah

« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2009, 10:47:40 AM »
Should be interesting...  Both Pavin and Monty cut their Ryder Cup teeth on the shores of Kiawah Island... ;D ;D

Kalen Braley

« Reply #21 on: January 29, 2009, 12:30:13 PM »
Anyone who wouldn't want Monty on his side in any capacity whether it be playing, coaching, or just cheer-leading has gotta be crazy.

Monty is a Ryder Cup assassin and legend and can't think of anyone else I would rather lace em up with if I was picking teams.

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #22 on: January 29, 2009, 01:42:52 PM »
Anyone who wouldn't want Monty on his side in any capacity whether it be playing, coaching, or just cheer-leading has gotta be crazy.

Monty is a Ryder Cup assassin and legend and can't think of anyone else I would rather lace em up with if I was picking teams.

As a player, in his prime?  Hell yes.  The Ryder Cup brought out the best in Monty, and his record speaks for itself.

But as a captain?

Methinks the words of Mr. Goodale are wise and right on... so this is indeed a fine choice for us American fans.... but maybe Rich and I are indeed crazy.   ;)

TH

Andrew Mitchell

« Reply #23 on: January 30, 2009, 04:09:25 AM »
Tom

Whilst noting Rich's wise words of caution for us Brits (Rich - despite your years living in the UK you clearly wouldn't pass Norman Tebbit's sports team test ;)) I'm with Mark on this one.  There has been plenty of positive feedback about Monty and his captaincy in Seve Trophy matches and he was effectively captain on the course in the 2004 & 2006 Ryder Cups.

Having said all that I do think that the importance of the role of the Ryder Cup captain is overplayed by the media.  At the end of the day it's down to the players to perform.  I don't think it was Faldo's fault that Europe lost last year - more that his leading players didn't play their best.
2014 to date: not actually played anywhere yet!
Still to come: Hollins Hall; Ripon City; Shipley; Perranporth; St Enodoc

Rich Goodale

« Reply #24 on: January 30, 2009, 04:26:47 AM »
Andrew and Mark

The Seve Trophy?  Is that the one where the winner gets to play the winner of the Isleworth vs. Lake Nona Cup?

Rich

PS--as for The Tebbit Test, you will be pleased to know that I do support England when they play Pakistan, but as for their other test opponents......... ???

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back