News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ran Morrissett

Feature Interview with Ian Andrew is posted
« on: January 28, 2009, 09:48:30 AM »
Last month’s Feature Interview centered on the new edition of the World Atlas of Golf and the yeomen like work put in by Mark Rowlinson and Dan Wexler to update this seminal book. I will forever contend that its original 1976 edition has influenced my generation (I’m 45) of golf course architects more so than any single book. Thus, it is little surprise to see golf course architect Ian Andrew’s response to question one in this month’s Feature Interview that points to the World Atlas of Golf as being a major influence on him as well.

From first playing the board game Par Golf to being given The World Atlas of Golf by his Dad to working for Doug Carrick to establishing Ian Andrew Golf Design in 2006, Ian’s design career has progressed smartly. Presently, he has several great projects on the go at hidden gems like Plymouth Country Club and Country Club of Scranton. As far as I’m concerned, Ian rivals Bruce Hepner for being as knowledgeable as anyone on Walter Travis’s work. Wait till you see two photographs of the greens at Country Club of Scranton and you’ll quickly appreciate that Travis was a designer apart. Unfortunately, his work is little understood and thus many of his features like his singular mounding have been lost across his northeast courses. Fortunately, Ian is methodically helping CCS bringing back such features. Given that it already starts with fifteen original Travis greens, CCS is well on its way to returning as one of the star courses in golf-rich Pennsylvania.

In addition, Ian now is the consulting architect on record at Highlands Links on Cape Breton island. This course is NOT  :'( universally considered the best in Canada simply because it continually suffers from too many turf issues. Ian is going to help fix all that in part by hopefully opening back up the playing corridors and letting some sunlight in as well as addressing drainage issues. If you start contemplating the day that you might be walking down the tumbling second fairway and be staring at the crashing surf of the Atlantic to your right (presently now it is a thick strand of evergreens), you may conclude that the best course in Canada debate will soon be over (at least before Cabot Links arrives  ;)  ;D ).

Impressive for man who ventured out on his own just three years ago, Ian was selected on January 14th, 2009 to be a partner in Weir Design. That falls under the category of nice guy finishing first. Hopefully, like it has for Bob Harrison and Bill Coore, teaming up with a star golfer will get Ian some choice property upon which to work. Read what we can expect from their designs going forward and you too will conclude that the game will be all the better for it.

Here is an official  :) (don’t accept a cheap substitute!) GolfClubAtlas.com prediction: great things lie ahead for Ian. Apart from the success he already enjoys, I say that for two reasons. First, he had the guts to go out on his own. Many talented architects never quite reach that point but Ian has every reason to bet on himself. Second, in the Bill Coore and Baxter Spann mode, Ian is quick to pay compliments to many of his peers and their work. By such gracious actions, he again displays his own quiet confidence in his proven ability. Also, though, it sends a clear signal that this is a person of quality, the very sort of which any club would want to enter into a long range relationship.

Cheers,

Garland Bayley

Re: Feature Interview with Ian Andrew is posted
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2009, 10:46:42 AM »
Thanks Ran,

Very timely interview.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2009, 02:24:31 PM »
Presently, he has several great projects on the go at hidden gems like Plymouth Country Club and Country Club of Scranton.

In addition, Ian now is the consulting architect on record at Highlands Links on Cape Breton island.

Ian was selected on January 14th, 2009 to be a partner in Weir Design.

great things lie ahead for Ian.

Excellent interview.  I agree that great things lie ahead for Ian if he can accomplish the above tasks.  Seems like a lot on his plate for an industry that is down.  Good luck, Ian.

Mike_DeVries

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2009, 02:51:38 PM »
Ran - a great interview.

Ian, congratulations on your success and new association with Mike Weir, who I have always admired as a "thinking" player who manages his way around a golf course.  I think the two of you will make a great team!

All the best,
Mike

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2009, 02:53:43 PM »
Congratulations Ian, and a superb interview.

For anyone who loves bunkers internal to fairways, this old aerial from the Country Club of Scranton (mentioned prominently in Ian's interview) shows them galore.

George Pazin

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2009, 02:55:16 PM »
Thanks Ran and Ian for another terrific interview.

I can't wait to play my first Ian Andrew design. Although I haven't had the pleasure of meeting Ian in person, I have a feeling when we finally hook up, it will be like seeing an old and dear friend.

------

Addendum: Mike C, it's quite obvious where you tried to manipulate that image in Photoshop, what with all those white lines and tape marks. :)
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2009, 03:27:18 PM »
George,

Actually, if memory serves, I pilfered that aerial from one of Ian's posts here.  ;D

BCrosby

« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2009, 05:42:21 PM »
Ian is a terrific guy and well deserving of a little GCA face time. I also couldn't be happier about his Weir association. Though I think Weir got the better deal. 

BTW, Ian also wins the best blog site award, architect category. The time and effort he must have poured into his site are amazing. It pays repeat visits. Anyone have his url handy?

Who did Scranton and how much remains? That picture is remarkable.

Bob

Guy Nicholson

Mike_Young

« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2009, 06:45:27 PM »
Congratulations to Ian.  Good feature interview....good choice in Weir.....and also good blog.....

I met Ian for the first time this weekend and he spent a couple of days in the south with me. I enjoyed it.  
 I think it was the first dormant bermuda he had seen.....
I showed him a few rednecks and then promised if he was really nice he could meet Bob Crosby at the airport....and they did meet.... ;D

"just standing on a corner in Winslow Arizona"

Bill_McBride

« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2009, 10:29:19 PM »
Did you and/or Bob take him to a Waffle House?  ???

Mike_Young

« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2009, 10:35:03 PM »
Did you and/or Bob take him to a Waffle House?  ???

No...but I did take him to a "breakfast think tank" group....and he spent about an hour "learning" things.....
they were excited they thought I had Mitch Miller with me..... ;D
"just standing on a corner in Winslow Arizona"

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2009, 10:39:44 PM »

Who did Scranton and how much remains? That picture is remarkable.

Bob

BobC,

Oh, that was the ubiquitous Mr. Walter Travis, and LOTS of it remains, and Ian is recapturing more of the original style and flair.   I can't think of a single Travis course I've played that doesn't have incredible green internals, whether it's Scranton, Lakewood, Hollywood, pre-Rees Equinox, and so on..

I'm beginning to think that my favorite three internal green designers, in no particular order are Walter Travis, Perry Maxwell, and George Crump.

BCrosby

« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2009, 09:26:53 AM »
Mike -

I met up with Ian at Atlanta Hartsfield. Because of weather issues, his flight was delayed and we spent a couple of hours chatting.

I can report that he had a very good visit with you and Chris. As Bill notes above, however, Ian was disappointed that you did not take him to the Waffle House in I-20 to meet Modine and Lavonia.

But perhaps that was a good thing. A man with his dashing good looks would have swept them off their feet and then where would we be?

Bob

Matt Bosela

« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2009, 11:26:56 AM »
Great interview and a hell of an introduction from Ran in the first post.

Ian must be blushing!  ;D

Forrest Richardson

« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2009, 08:01:05 PM »
Ian is one of the smart and talented people we have in the art of golf design. Those two qualities are very often independently bestowed to golf architects. No one knows why. It is a great read and an inspirational story about the board game than changed a life. I think there are many of us who fell in to golf design at an early age — and there are many out there who wanted to fall but never did.
— Forrest Richardson, Golf Course Architect/ASGCA
    www.golfgroupltd.com
    www.golframes.com

Bill_McBride

« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2009, 08:11:16 PM »
How many future golf architects drew golf holes on their notebooks in the back of the classroom?

I did but somehow I got sidetracked.  Plus all my holes were dead flat, sort of like Talking Stick North.

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2009, 06:42:01 AM »
How many future golf architects drew golf holes on their notebooks in the back of the classroom?

I did but somehow I got sidetracked.  Plus all my holes were dead flat, sort of like Talking Stick North.

Bill,

I used to draw them but at the time I was a "Maximalist", and that trend never really caught on.  ;)

What's that saying about being an artist is not knowing what to put in but what to leave out?   

I never saw a water hazard/bunker combination that I didn't want to add to the paper until the only way to play any of my holes was with a wedge from tee to green.   ::) ;D

Mike Nuzzo

« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2009, 03:03:11 PM »
Great interview.

I love the picture of the 4th at Highlands - the new hole is a million times better.
I'm assuming the corridor is all proposed....

I'm not a big fan of the 18th at Jasper.
Not sure why.
Tee shots wind up similarly down the hill?
The hole isn't against the water?
Maybe because 17 was a complete bore after the great stretch prior and I couldn't get back on track at 18.

I LOVE the Travis greens at the 18th of Scranton and the 7th.
Makes me want to go visit with Ian - I was thinking there wasn't much worth traveling to see.

I think the firm would have been better called A&W - Flavorful Golf Course Design.

- Congratulations Ian.
Thinking of Bob, Rihc, Bill, George, Neil, Dr. Childs, & Tiger.

Norbert P

« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2009, 06:16:59 PM »
Mike, thanks for bumping this up. It is, as you say, a great interview.

"Golf is only meant to be a small part of one’s life, centering around health, relaxation and having fun with friends/family." R"C"M

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2009, 07:29:54 PM »
You Travis aficionados need to make time to visit western New York/southern Ontario.  Here's the list from Batavia, NY to St. Catherines, ONT:

Stafford
Orchard Park CC (16 of 18, at least)
Penn Hills
Cherry Hill
Lookout Point

I can't get you on them, but I can show you the best holes in the hedges through which to sneak!
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Philippe Binette

« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2009, 08:46:53 PM »
Pretty cool interview...

No regrets, got to love this philosophy.
I would imagine that when an associate in a firm is going totally in the opposite direction from the main guy, it must create a difficult situation.

Ed Homsey

« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2009, 10:22:20 PM »
For those of us who have developed a great appreciation of the genius of Walter Travis through his green sites at places such as CC of Scranton, Cape Arundel GC, CC of Troy, North Jersey CC, Cherry Hill Club, Lookout Point CC, Yahnundasis GC, Hollywood Golf club, and others, it is a pleasure to see the Ian Andrew featured interview.  He has shown a great knowledge and respect for the works of "The Old Man", and is one of a small hand full of architects who have demonstrated an ability to capture the spirit of Travis while renovating one of his courses.

I would add to Ron's note regarding western New York, southern Ontario, and northern Penn.  If you want to learn more about Mr. Travis, check out:  www.buff-golf.com/travis/htm  and, get your application in to the Walter J. Travis Society. 

Ed Homsey
Travis Society Archivist

paul cowley

« Reply #23 on: February 11, 2009, 10:32:33 PM »
I just want to go on record that I knew Ian before he became a very deserved 'somebody'....and that he was just as 'cool' then, as he is now!
paul cowley...golf course architect/asgca

Robert Thompson

« Reply #24 on: February 11, 2009, 10:58:25 PM »
No you are wrong Paul. Ian was never hip, nor cool, nor did he pretend to be.  :D

He does, however, have great taste in golf. He might even be cutting edge when it comes to his tastes there.
Terrorizing Toronto Since 1997

Read me at Canadiangolfer.com

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back