News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mark_Rowlinson

Ireland's 30 Greatest
« on: January 28, 2009, 07:19:59 AM »
I've been sorting through the rubbish in my office. I came across:

IRISH GOLF INSTITUTE
IRELAND'S 30 GREATEST GOLF COURSES OF THE 20TH CENTURY

1. Royal Portrush 1888 Harry Colt
2. Portmarnock 1894 WC Pickeman/Mungo Park
3. Royal Co Down 1889 Old Tom Morris/Harry Colt
4. Ballybunion Old 1893 Lionel Hewson/others
5. The European Club 1987 Pat Ruddy
6. County Louth 1892 Tom Simpson
7. Waterville 1901 Eddie Hackett/John Mulcahy
8. Mount Juliet 1991 Jack Nicklaus
9. Lahinch 1892 Old Tom Morris/Alister MacKenzie
10. The K-Club 1991 Arnold Palmer
11. County Sligo 1894 Harry Colt
12. Druid's Glen 1995 Pat Ruddy/Tom Craddock
13. Killarney (Killeen) 1893 Eddie Hackett/William O'Sullivan
14. Ballyliffin (Glashedy) 1947 Pat Ruddy/Tom Craddock
15. The Royal Dublin 1885 Harry Colt
16. The Island 1890 Sundry
17. Carlow 1899 Tom Simpson
18. Portstewart 1894 Sundry/Des Griffin
19. Donegal 1960 Eddie Hackett/Pat Ruddy
20. Connemara 1973 Eddie Hackett
21. Malone 1895 Fred Hawtree
22. Enniscrone 1918 Eddie Hackett/Pat Ruddy
23. Belvoir Park 1927 Harry Colt
24. Portmarnock Links 1994 Bernhard Langer
25. Castlerock 1901 Ben Sayers
26. Tramore 1894 Col H. Tippett
27. Killarney (Mahony) 1893 Sir Guy Campbell
29. Hermitage 1905 James McKenna
30. Tralee 1895 Arnold Palmer

The following 75 persons were invited to vote in 1999: I Bamford, E Bradshaw, D Branigan, I Butler, J Byrne, D Clarke, F Cogley, E Condren, T Corridan, G Cullen, E Curran, B Darcy, N Drew, B Edwards, J Fitzgibbon, N Fogarty, M Gannon, P Garvey, D Gilleece, M Gorry, N Goulding, C Harnett, P Harrington, B Higgins, l Higgins, B Hoey, S Hosty, D Jones, E Jones, R Kane, K Kearney, J Kinsella, B Kissock, P Lawrie, P Leonard, T McGee, G McGimpsey, P McGuirk, M McKenna, L MacNamara, D Madeley, J Magowan, B Malone, P Merrigan, C Mulqueen, G O'Brien, M O'Brien, C O'Connor Jnr, C O'Connor Snr, M O'Donnell, D O'Hara, T O'Reilly, P O'Rourke, D O'Sullivan, L Owens, A Pierse, R Pollin, E Power, J Purcell, R Rafferty, RB Reddan, P Reid, P Ruddy, D Sheahan, A Skerritt, P Skerritt, C Smith, D Smyth, S Smith, A Spring, R Staunton, W Sullivan, P Townsend, P Walton

I am a little curious to know when the 20th century began and ended in Ireland, but it makes provocative reading. The cast list of voters is something of a Who's Who, even if you don't agree with their opinions.

Bart Bradley

Re: Ireland's 30 Greatest
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2009, 07:28:05 AM »
"30. Tralee 1895 Arnold Palmer"   :D :D :D

I know Arnold is getting old but this just has to be a typo!   ;)

IMO, Lahinch is ranked significantly too low.  UGGHH behind Mount Juliet?

Bart

Jonathan Davison

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2009, 07:36:34 AM »
Wonderful to see Carlow on the list, an excellent golf course pure Simpson.
Tramore is a nice golf course visited the club alot in the past working on the redevelopment of the club. Would love to visit again to see the changes.
Mount Juliet ?! Was disappointed would prefer both Carlow and Tramore anyday.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2009, 08:05:36 AM »
The dates are for when the club was founded, not necessarily the present version of their golf course.  But, I think the reference to "20th century" has only to do with the fact the list was written in 1999.

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2009, 08:13:07 AM »
Nice to see Hermitage there as well. I played it (and Grange) with my father in the 1960s. Looking in John Redmond's Great Golf Courses of Ireland I note that we don't even have an initial for McKenna, and that he laid out the course for £3.50 an Irish acre. I remember all too little of it, other than the well-known drop-shot 10th. I enjoyed Grange, too, with its unusual opening of consecutive par 3s. Both courses are well secluded despite their proximity to Dublin. But it is over 40 years since I vivited them, and I hadn't discovered GCA then. I was only interested in my score!

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2009, 08:27:54 AM »
Carlow is my favourite inland course in Ireland... 6, 7, 8, 12, 16, 17 are all verging on the great...

The only major change you would see to those rankings in the intervening 10 years is probably high places for Adare, Carton House Montgomerie and The Old Head...

Cristian

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2009, 08:35:08 AM »
Great to see Royal Portrush at no.1

Too bad Ballyliffin is listed for the Glashedy; the Old Course is tons more fun, but probably too short too be ranked anywhere on this list. Much more charm though, and wonderful washboard natural fairways shaped by nature, not bulldozers. The Glashedy is also a good course, but it's a shame it overshadows the old course...

Sean_A

« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2009, 08:39:32 AM »
Carlow is my favourite inland course in Ireland... 6, 7, 8, 12, 16, 17 are all verging on the great...

The only major change you would see to those rankings in the intervening 10 years is probably high places for Adare, Carton House Montgomerie and The Old Head...

Ally

No love for Carne?  To me, it easily belongs on this list - though the course may not have existed in '99.

Like Mark requested while asking about the World Atlas updates, which courses should get dropped? 

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

JMorgan

« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2009, 08:41:14 AM »
Mount Juliet is a nice experience, but the golf ain't Top 10 -- even in '99. 

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2009, 08:41:36 AM »
Of course Sean... Just a cursory look and I came up with those... Completely forgot Carne...

Justin Broderson

« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2009, 08:52:59 AM »
Nice to see The Island up there.  First course I played when we got there and to this day still might be the most fun I've had on a course.

Rory Connaughton

« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2009, 09:06:49 AM »
Royal Dublin has been significantly improved since 1999 but even as improved it is rated way to high.  This list is also pre-Steele at Enniscrone.  The course is an entirely different beast now.

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2009, 09:54:03 AM »
Royal Dublin has been significantly improved since 1999 but even as improved it is rated way to high.  This list is also pre-Steele at Enniscrone.  The course is an entirely different beast now.

That's interesting Rory... I quite rate Royal Dublin... there are a few above it that I would see below...

Shane Wright

« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2009, 10:04:16 AM »
IMO - I cannot figure out for the LIFE of me how Portmarnock could possibly be ranked #2.  It was by far the worst course of the 11 we played.  It has 4-5 really great holes and 4-5 of the most boring/ordinary holes we played the entire trip.  I can't figure out why everyone loves this course so much, What am I missing!  In fact, after we played it, I thought maybe we had played the wrong course.  I didn't plan the trip so the other 3 of us were grilling our 4th to make sure he had picked out the right course. 

I don't mean to offend anyone who loves the course, but I cannot figure out how anyone would could possibly pick it over Waterville, Lahinch, Tralee, Ballybunion, etc. 

I know that the fact Waterville was built by an American, is a newer course, and was redone by an architect who one would not associate with classical links design, but it is a fabulous course and topography wise, is very similar to Portmarnock.  How in the heck could anyone pick it over Waterville.  It fascinates me and something that has bothered me since last July.  Someone please help me out if you don't mind.

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2009, 10:10:55 AM »
Personally I love the scale of Portmarnock...

Shane, I fail to find 4 or 5 really boring holes on the course... Which ones come to mind?

Rory Connaughton

« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2009, 10:12:26 AM »
Ally,

I have nothing against Royal Dublin.  I think it provides an enjoyable day of golf.  That said, of courses on the list that I have played, I would quite easily rank Enniscrone, The Island and Portmarnock Links above it.

Based on the list of voters, I suspect that Royal Dublin gets rated where it is due to its tournament history.  Shane, I also think that is one reason why Portmarnock rates so highly (though I am a big fan of the course).

Deucie Bies

« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2009, 10:15:53 AM »
IMO - I cannot figure out for the LIFE of me how Portmarnock could possibly be ranked #2.  It was by far the worst course of the 11 we played.  It has 4-5 really great holes and 4-5 of the most boring/ordinary holes we played the entire trip.  I can't figure out why everyone loves this course so much, What am I missing!  In fact, after we played it, I thought maybe we had played the wrong course.  I didn't plan the trip so the other 3 of us were grilling our 4th to make sure he had picked out the right course. 

I don't mean to offend anyone who loves the course, but I cannot figure out how anyone would could possibly pick it over Waterville, Lahinch, Tralee, Ballybunion, etc. 

I know that the fact Waterville was built by an American, is a newer course, and was redone by an architect who one would not associate with classical links design, but it is a fabulous course and topography wise, is very similar to Portmarnock.  How in the heck could anyone pick it over Waterville.  It fascinates me and something that has bothered me since last July.  Someone please help me out if you don't mind.

I completely agree about Portmarnock.  Maybe one trip around wasn't enough.  I am willing to give it another shot.

Shane Wright

« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2009, 10:24:58 AM »

I completely agree about Portmarnock.  Maybe one trip around wasn't enough.  I am willing to give it another shot.

I would not give it another shot at the exchange rates we paid last summer.  I always believe you need to give a course a couple of chances and the fact that we played it the day after 36 at RCD might have had some affect, but as much as I have thought about it over the months, I'm still perplexed.  I went back thru the yardage book several times after to make sure I wasn't missing something.

Oh yeah, and it is ranked higher than RCD! haha

Bad drugs is all i have to say.

Dan Boerger

« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2009, 10:39:04 AM »
What, no love for Dooks?

I would also bump up Lahinch.

Have not played Royal Portrush but those I know who have rave about it. It's on my bucket list.
"Man should practice moderation in all things, including moderation."  Mark Twain

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2009, 10:47:22 AM »

I would not give it another shot at the exchange rates we paid last summer.  I always believe you need to give a course a couple of chances and the fact that we played it the day after 36 at RCD might have had some affect, but as much as I have thought about it over the months, I'm still perplexed.  I went back thru the yardage book several times after to make sure I wasn't missing something.

Well, Portmarnock is Ireland's equivalent to Muirfield in some ways... So it's all about perception...

Although I do tend to agree that it's the history that ranks it so high... In '99, it was still very much an Irish Open venue and had held the Walker Cup not that long previously.... It would rank a slot or two lower in 2009 if a similar poll was conducted...

Shane Wright

« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2009, 10:55:07 AM »
Personally I love the scale of Portmarnock...

Shane, I fail to find 4 or 5 really boring holes on the course... Which ones come to mind?

Ally - I don't have as much time as I would like today, in which to respond to this topic, but going from mostly memory:

IMHO:

#1, 2, and 3 - Ok holes, I was fine with #1 as an opener, but the 3 all turned slightly left and #3 was the most interesting of the three.  Overall just an average stretch of holes

#4-6 - Great holes, best stretch of holes on the course

#7 ok par 3

#8 pretty good

#9 pretty good

#10 TERRIBLE hole....and I will stand by that.  I love short par 4's, partially because of variety and partially because I can hit it relatively long and it always forces a tough decision.  But this was a completely BORING hole

#11 if the drive doesn't drive you nuts, it isn't a bad hole

#12 Good Par 3

#13 Bad par 5, hated the tee box area, aesthetics, approach, etc

#14 Best hole on the course

#15 Great par 3

#16 ok par 5 but really not much different than what I said on #13

#17 bad par 4, nothing appealing, boring, put me to sleep

#18 pretty good finishing hole, like both the drive and 2nd shot.  Definitely forces decision.

In summation, I went to college in west Texas which has the flattest topography of about anywhere you can find.  I do not mind flat courses in the least bit.  However, with Portmarnock, I felt like I was playing Shadow Hills in Lubbock, TX ($15 walking) only Shadow Hills has no rough.  The green surrounds at Portmarnock, with the exception of a few holes were just too flat and ordinary for my liking.  The feeling while playing was that I was just in a field in west Texas and just mowed some fairways, had a few buddies dig out some bunkers along the fairways and found a few flat spots to throw down some tee boxes.   But I had to pay about $280 to play it.  

I realize I will offend some with this opinion but I'm just curious if I'm the only one that sees this.

shane

Sean_A

« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2009, 11:05:16 AM »

Well, Portmarnock is Ireland's equivalent to Muirfield in some ways... So it's all about perception...

Although I do tend to agree that it's the history that ranks it so high... In '99, it was still very much an Irish Open venue and had held the Walker Cup not that long previously.... It would rank a slot or two lower in 2009 if a similar poll was conducted...

I am with you.  Portmarnock is clearly a great course, but I think it lacks variety and dare I say charm.  Its one of those places I would like to revisit, but I am not keen to pay the visitor's green fee - its edging toward not really being worth a go.  I expect it will hit these dizzying low heights in the near future.  Ah well, yet another big gun to write off never to be seen again.  Its the way of the GB&I these days.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2009, 02:46:20 PM »
RANKED TOO HIGH. TOP TEN BUT CERTAINLY NOT #1  TOUGH DRIVING COURSE BUT THE GREEN SITES ARE NIT #1 QUALITY
DEMANDING DRIVING COURSE WITH GREAT GREEN SITES.  LACKS CHARM. COULD BE #2
SIMPLY ONE OF THE THREE BEST COURSES IN THE WORLD.
SECOND BEST COURSE IN IRELAND
I HAVE ALWAYS LOVED TEC.  I AGREE WITH ITS RATING.
A VERY GOOD COURSE WITH GREAT GREEN SITES, BUT FOR SOME REASON I DON’T LIKE THE COURSE.
THIS COURSE IW WAY OVERRATED.  UNLESS IT HAS BEEN CHANGED THE GRASS IS THE WRONG KIND.
A NICE COURSE BUT NOT EVEN IN THE TOP 20.
RANKED TOO LOW.  SHOULD BE THREE OR FOUR.
I DON’T THINK IT SHOULD EVEN BE IN THE TOP 30 AT ALL.
A GOOD SOLID COURSE BUT AGAIN I HAVE NO LOVE FOR IT. RATED TO HIGH
PROBABLY THE BEST OF THE NEW INLAND COURSES
RELIES ON ITS SETTING.  RANKED MUCH TO HIGH
VERY VERY TOUGH START.  COULD BE RANKED HIGHER.
PROBABLY RANKED OK BUT IS ON PRETTY BORING TERRAIN.
THIS IS ABSOLUTELY A GEM.  SHOULD BE RANKED HIGHER.  BRILLIATNLY ROUTED
HAVE NOT PLAYED IT
GREAT FRONT NINE BUT BACK NINE IS A LET DOWN EVEN THOUGH IT IS DIFFICULT.
DECENT BUT NOT GREAT.  I WOULD NOT HAVE IT IN THE TOOP 20.
ABSOLUTELY BORING.
HAVE NOT PLAYED
HAVE NOT PLAYED IT SINCE THE REDSIGN.  DYING TO GET THERE
HAVE NOT PLAYED IT.
NICE RESORT COURSE BUT NOT TOP 30 QUALITY
BELONGS TO BE RANKED A LITTLE HIGHER
HAVE NOT PLAYED IT
GREAT 18TH HOLE BUT THE OTHER 17 HOLES ARE NOT TOP 30
HAVAE NOT PLAYED IT
PRETTY SEETTING BUT ONLY A STEP ABOVE MEDIOCRE. 

MISSING;  CARNE, DRUIDS HEATH, CASHEN, OLD HEAD, DOOKS
« Last Edit: January 28, 2009, 06:22:13 PM by Tommy Williamsen »
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Tim Pitner

« Reply #23 on: January 28, 2009, 04:26:52 PM »
Mr. Williamsen,

You're a bit hard on the likes of Donegal and Connemara, IMHO.  I also can't help noticing that, in your comments, you note more overrated courses than underrated ones.  Unless you add sufficiently more courses to the mix, I'm not sure that works. 

Sean_A

« Reply #24 on: January 28, 2009, 05:09:40 PM »
RANKED TOO HIGH. TOP TEN BUT CERTAINLY NOT #1  TOUGH DRIVING COURSE BUT THE GREEN SITES ARE NIT #1 QUALITY
DEMANDING DRIVING COURSE WITH GREAT GREEN SITES.  LACKS CHARM. COULD BE #2
SIMPLY ONE OF THE THREE BEST COURSES IN THE WORLD.
SECOND BEST COURSE IN IRELAND
I HAVE ALWAYS LOVED TEC.  I AGREE WITH ITS RATING.
A VERY GOOD COURSE WITH GREAT GREEN SITES, BUT FOR SOME REASON I DON’T LIKE THE COURSE.
THIS COURSE IW WAY OVERRATED.  UNLESS IT HAS BEEN CHANGED THE GRASS IS THE WRONG KIND.
A NICE COURSE BUT NOT EVEN IN THE TOP 20.
RANKED TOO LOW.  SHOULD BE THREE OR FOUR.
I DON’T THINK IT SHOULD EVEN BE IN THE TOP 30 AT ALL.
A GOOD SOLID COURSE BUT AGAIN I HAVE NO LOVE FOR IT. RATED TO HIGH
PROBABLY THE BEST OF THE NEW INLAND COURSES
RELIES ON ITS SETTING.  RANKED MUCH TO HIGH
VERY VERY TOUGH START.  COULD BE RANKED HIGHER.
PROBABLY RANKED OK BUT IS ON PRETTY BORING TERRAIN.
THIS IS ABSOLUTELY A GEM.  SHOULD BE RANKED HIGHER.  BRILLIATNLY ROUTED
HAVE NOT PLAYED IT
GREAT FRONT NINE BUT BACK NINE IS A LET DOWN EVEN THOUGH IT IS DIFFICULT.
DECENT BUT NOT GREAT.  I WOULD NOT HAVE IT IN THE TOOP 20.
ABSOLUTELY BORING.
HAVE NOT PLAYED
HAVE NOT PLAYED IT SINCE THE REDSIGN.  DYINT TO GET THERE
HAVE NOT PLAYED IT.
NICE RESORT COURSE BUT NOT TOP 30 QUALITY
BELONGS TO BE RANKED A LITTLE HIGHER
HAVE NOT PLAYED IT
GREAT 18TH HOLE BUT THE OTHER 17 HOLES ARE NOT TOP 30
HAVAE NOT PLAYED IT
PRETTY SEETTING BUT ONLY A STEP ABOVE MEDIOCRE. 

MISSING;  CARNE, DRUIDS HEATH, CASHEN, OLD HEAD, DOOKS

Tommy

To each is own, but for MY money, the only courses that I have seen in Ireland which I would say are at least worth a day's detour or more hassle are

Ballybunion
Carne
Co Down
Donegal
Enniscrone
Lahinch
Portmarnock
Portrush
Portstewart
Sligo

Given the breath and quality of courses in Ireland I wouldn't even reco folks see the following unless its 3rd trip or something: Tralee, TEC, Baltray & Portmarnock Links though all may be considered top 30 - I don't know or care really. 

Two other which I like are The Island and Strandhill, but I think these are more the sort to round out a trip rather than really plan to see.

Some I would really like to see or see again because I don't remember them well at all:

Royal Dublin, Portsalon, Rosapenna & Narin & Portnoo. 

For the life of me, I don't know why a tourista goes to Ireland to play inland golf.  I have only been met with a sense of despair after finishing - wishing I hadn't lost a day on the links.  If one wants to see a different style inland golf to the American model(s) - head for England.

Ciao

« Last Edit: January 28, 2009, 05:28:19 PM by Sean Arble »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back