News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Brian Cenci

The Dome Golf Club (w/ Pics)
« on: January 27, 2009, 09:17:01 PM »
I love this course.  A true Michigan winter golf course gem.  You really get a lot of different shot variety.  Sometimes some of the holes seem a bit contrived.  I think the 2' bucket at the 60 yards out seems forced and doesn't fit well with the tee shot.  The green with the blue flag 30 yards out is too firm and doesn't hold shots well either.  But other than those few issues, really a treat for those deprived souls in Michigan.

Keith Buntrock

Re: The Dome Golf Club (w/ Pics)
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2009, 09:19:45 PM »
HA.

At least this one is still standing. The one 5 minutes from my house collapsed, or deflated, right before Christmas because of the snow.

Jon Heise

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2009, 09:41:28 PM »
I feel ya brotha.  Im hurtin too... :(
I still like Greywalls better.

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2009, 09:44:33 PM »
At least you have buckets...at one time we had five domes in western New York.  We're down to two and they certainly are a respite.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Brian Cenci

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2009, 07:06:35 AM »
HA.

At least this one is still standing. The one 5 minutes from my house collapsed, or deflated, right before Christmas because of the snow.

Some high winds knocked this one down a few years ago.  Fortunately they re-inflated it so we can enjoy this treat.

PCCraig

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2009, 08:00:27 AM »
I was never all too crazy about hitting in a dome. Doesn't MI have any ranges with heaters above the stalls?
H.P.S.

Jfaspen

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2009, 08:25:21 AM »
I was never all too crazy about hitting in a dome. Doesn't MI have any ranges with heaters above the stalls?

Heaters barely help in 10 degrees and windy.. + you're hitting off turf anyway.. I tend to let my game go over the winter.. but if you went outside anytime the weather was 25 or above and then dome the rest of the time, you could keep some sembelence of a swing, although it's 10x easier hitting off a mat.

Anthony Gray

« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2009, 09:26:51 AM »

Private or public?

Brad Kane

« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2009, 09:42:45 AM »
Alot of options on that approach shot, the architect really used the landscape to his advantage.

We've got one of those in Calgary that charges by the minute!  Probably the goofiest billing system I've ever seen. 

Want to watch a bad swing grooved?  See someone get through a large bucket with their driver in under 10 minutes!  LOL

I hit at a heated outdoor range yesterday, almost felt like I got a tan under the heater! It's a bit hard to spot your white ball over fresh range powder though. 

B.  (anxiously awaiting spring)

Brian Cenci

« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2009, 11:53:05 AM »

Private or public?

It's semi-private I think.  Because you know at each side of the lower  teeing area is some golf instructor trying to teach a 10 year old how to groove his swing within a 100 yard walled fortress while he's chowing down lasagna and trying to slug a mountain dew charging $50 an hour for his expertise.

Brian Cenci

« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2009, 11:54:01 AM »

There's a new one opening up at Michigan State University golf course supposedly this week but they've been postponing their opening for like a month now.

Ed Oden

« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2009, 12:00:22 PM »
I was wondering if anybody there could recommend any really good golf domes that are worth seeing while I'm there?

Thinly veiled requests for access like this have no place on this site.

PCCraig

« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2009, 12:13:50 PM »

Heaters barely help in 10 degrees and windy.. + you're hitting off turf anyway.. I tend to let my game go over the winter.. but if you went outside anytime the weather was 25 or above and then dome the rest of the time, you could keep some sembelence of a swing, although it's 10x easier hitting off a mat.

This past Sunday morning here in Chicago I was hitting balls in a heat stall when it was 2* and windy. Granted it was in some heavy clothes. But my swing needs the work!
H.P.S.

Charlie Goerges

« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2009, 12:24:06 PM »
I was wondering if anybody there could recommend any really good golf domes that are worth seeing while I'm there?

Thinly veiled requests for access like this have no place on this site.

This is totally unfair. Dave has been more than generous in hosting numerous GCAers at his home dome and has always taken the time to slug some Mountain Dew and Lasagna with them afterward. Don't worry, no one wants to see your dome anyway!

;)
Severally on the occasion of everything that thou doest, pause and ask thyself, if death is a dreadful thing because it deprives thee of this. - Marcus Aurelius

Kalen Braley

« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2009, 02:13:18 PM »
The domes suck in my experience...only good for working on wedge shots.  I went to one in Spokane that was a double decker.  But if you hit off the top deck your wedges would hit the ceiling.  :-[

On the bright side, my driver shots were always amazingly straight as they hit the far end of the dome.  I guess its that last 100-125 yards where it really starts going offline.  :)

George Pazin

« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2009, 02:28:46 PM »
Talk about unimaginative flat greens, yeesh.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Anthony Gray

« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2009, 02:34:56 PM »

I think this is the new dome stadium coach Rod was promised.

Anthony

John Moore II

« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2009, 04:30:14 PM »
Alot of options on that approach shot, the architect really used the landscape to his advantage.

We've got one of those in Calgary that charges by the minute!  Probably the goofiest billing system I've ever seen. 

Want to watch a bad swing grooved?  See someone get through a large bucket with their driver in under 10 minutes!  LOL

I hit at a heated outdoor range yesterday, almost felt like I got a tan under the heater! It's a bit hard to spot your white ball over fresh range powder though. 

B.  (anxiously awaiting spring)

Funny you should say they charge by the minute. I know a pro who charges by the minute for lessons. $3 per minute. He said he got tired of walking down the driving range tee (he doesn't work at a private club, BTW, this approach wouldn't work well there) and have people be like 'hey pro, got a minute?' And then he wind up literally giving the a 15 or 20 minute lesson. So now, when they ask that 'hey pro, got a minute?' he just looks at his watch 'I sure do!' I love the idea.

Richard Hetzel

« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2009, 04:37:19 PM »
The shady bar in there is really happening!
Best Played So Far This Season:
Crystal Downs CC (MI), The Bridge (NY), Canterbury GC (OH), Lakota Links (CO), Montauk Downs (NY), Sedge Valley (WI)

John Burzynski

« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2009, 04:42:40 PM »

None of our driving ranges around here will turn the heaters on...too expensive in this economy.  I would give my left you-know-what for a golf dome, if nothing else to loosen up the short game a bit.  anything is better than staring longingly at my clubs.

Jason McNamara

« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2009, 02:06:27 AM »
Talk about unimaginative flat greens, yeesh.

True, but surely you must appreciate the lack of artificial mounding.

Jason

JC Jones

« Reply #21 on: January 29, 2009, 04:57:46 PM »
Brian

I really love the way you captured the essence of our local winter club.  Dark, cold, sub-par pros giving lessons and selling clubs on either end.  Many of hours spent firing wedges at random flags.  Oh the joys that Funtyme brings during these cold and seemingly never ending months.
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

J_ Crisham

« Reply #22 on: January 29, 2009, 08:02:01 PM »
Wow, what a beautiful dome.  Brian, thanks for sharing.

I'm planning a trip to Michigan next month and will be in the area.

I'd also love to meet up with fellow GCAers for lunch or a beer while I'm there...

;)
Dave,  A couple Sundays ago I hit balls at the dome in Bensenville at White Pines Golf Club. It was packed .As Hogan once said, the secret is in the astroturf! I hit balls until my hands bled just like The Hawk. Unfortunately it only took a bucket! Would be a great winter GCA gettogether site for hitting balls and beers afterwards.         Jack

PCCraig

« Reply #23 on: January 29, 2009, 08:16:12 PM »

This past Sunday morning here in Chicago I was hitting balls in a heat stall when it was 2* and windy. Granted it was in some heavy clothes. But my swing needs the work!

Pat...lemme guess...the one on Dempster just west of McCormick with the batting cages on the side and the mini-golf out front?

Dave-

No way...The Golf Center on River Road!!!

(It's about 3 miles north of where I work, so its an easy side trip on Saturday and Sunday mornings before heading into the office).
H.P.S.

Jason Topp

« Reply #24 on: January 30, 2009, 08:40:47 PM »
Wait!  I suspect these are template courses.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back