News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Bill Shamleffer

John Updike, Author, Dies at 76
« on: January 27, 2009, 01:46:28 PM »
http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/2009/01/27/books/AP-Obit-Updike.html?_r=1

I thought this may be relevent due to Mr. Updike's occasional contributions to the literature golf.
“The race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but that's the way to bet.”  Damon Runyon

David_Tepper

Re: John Updike, Author, Dies at 76
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2009, 01:56:48 PM »
Very sorry to hear this. "Golf Dreams" should be on every golfer's bookshelf.

Sébastien Dhaussy

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2009, 02:03:42 PM »
A quick google search and I found this :

June 10, 1973 - NY Times
Golf
By JOHN UPDIKE

"I think I have been asked to write about golf as a hobby. But of course, golf is not a hobby. Hobbies take place in the cellar and smell of airplane glue. Nor is golf, though some men turn it into such, meant to be a profession or a pleasure. Indeed, few sights are more odious on the golf course than a sauntering, beered-up foursome obviously having a good time. Some golfers, we are told, enjoy the landscape; but properly the landscape shrivels and compresses into the grim, surrealistically vivid patch of grass directly under the golfer's eyes as he morosely walks toward where he thinks his ball might be. We should be conscious of no more grass, the old Scots adage goes, than will cover our own graves. If neither work nor play, then, if more pain than pleasure but not essentially either, what, then, can golf be? Luckily, a word newly coined rings on the blank Formica of the conundrum. Golf is, let us say, a trip.

A non-chemical hallucinogen, golf breaks the human body into components so strangely elongated and so tenuously linked, yet with anxious little bunches of hyper-consciousness and undue effort bulging here and there, along with rotating blind patches and a sort of cartilaginous euphoria -- golf so transforms one's somatic sense, in short, that truth itself seems about to break through the exacerbated and as it were debunked fabric of mundane reality.

An exceedingly small ball is placed a large distance from one's face, and a silver wand curiously warped at one end is placed in one's hands. Additionally, one's head is set a-flitting with a swarm of dimly remembered "tips." Tommy Armour says to hit the ball with the right hand. Ben Hogan says to push off with the right foot. Arnold Palmer says keep your head still. Arnold Palmer has painted hands in his golf book. Gary Player says don't lift the left heel. There is a white circle around his heel. Dick Aultman says keep everything square, even your right foot to the line of flight. His book is full of beautiful pictures of straight lines lying along wrists like carpenter's rules on planed wood. Mindy Blake, in his golf book, says "square-to- square" is an evolutionary half-step on the way to a stance in which both feet are skewed toward the hole and at the extremity of the backswing the angle between the left arm and the line to the target is a mere 14 degrees. And 15 degrees. Not 13 degrees. Fourteen degrees. Jack Nicklaus, who is a big man, says you should stand up to the ball the way you'd stand around doing nothing in particular. Hogan and Player, who are small men, show a lot of strenuous arrows generating terrific torque at the hips. Player says pass the right shoulder under the chin. Somebody else says count two knuckles on the left hand at address. Somebody else says no knuckle should show. Which is to say nothing about knees, open or closed clubface at top of backswing, passive right side, "sitting down" to the ball, looking at the ball with right eye -- all of which are crucial.

This unpleasant paragraph above, strange to say, got me so excited I had to rush out into the yard and hit a few shots, even though it was pitch dark, and only the daffodils showed. Golf converts oddly well into words. Wodehouse's golf stories delighted me years before I touched a club. The story of Jones's Grand Slam, and Vardon's triumph over J. H. Taylor at Muirfield in 1896, and Palmer's catching Mike Souchak at Cheery Hills in 1960, are always enthralling -- as is, indeed, the anecdote of the most abject duffer. For example:

Once, my head buzzing with a mess of anatomical and aeronautical information that was not relating to the golf balls I was hitting, I went to a pro and had a lesson. Put your weight on the right foot, the man told me, and then the left. "That's all?" I asked. "That's all," he said. "What about the wrists pronating?" I asked. "What about the angle of shoulder-plane vis-a-vis hip-plane?" "Forget them," he said. Ironically, then, in order to demonstrate to him the folly of his command (much as the Six Hundred rode into the valley of Death), I obeyed. The ball clicked into the air, soared straight as a string, and fell in a distant ecstasy of backspin. For some weeks, harboring this absurd instruction, I went around golf courses like a giant, pounding out pars, humiliating my friends. But I never could identify with my new prowess; I couldn't internalize. There was an immense semicircular area transparent, mysterious, anesthetized, above the monotonous weight-shift of my feet. All richness had fled the game. So I gradually went back on my lessons, ignored my feet, made a number of other studied adjustments, and restored my swing to its pristine ineptitude. Crass success had bowed to man's unconquerable will.

Like that golf story of mine? Let me tell you another: the greatest shot of my life. It was years ago, on a little dog-leg left, downhill. Apple trees were in blossom Or the maples were turning; I forget which. My drive was badly smothered, and after some painful wounded bounces found rest in the deep rough at the crook of the dog- leg. My second shot, a 9-iron too tensely gripped, moved a great deal of grass. The third shot, a smoother swing with the knees nicely flexed, moved the ball perhaps 12 feet out onto the fairway. The lie was downhill. The distance to the green was perhaps 230 yards at this point. I chose (of course) a 3-wood. The lie was not only downhill but sidehill. I tried to remember some tip about sidehill lies; it was either (1) play the ball farther forward from the center of the stance, with the stance more open, or (2) play the ball farther back, off a closed stance, or (3) some combination. I compromised by swinging with locked elbows and looking up quickly, to see how it turned out. A divot the size of an undershirt was taken some 18 inches behind the ball. The ball moved a few puzzled inches. Now here comes my great shot. Utterly demented by frustration, I swung as if the club were an axe with which I was reducing an orange crate to kindling wood. Emitting a sucking, oval sound, the astounded ball, smitten, soared far up the fairway, curling toward the fat part of the green with just the daintiest trace of a fade, hit once on the fringe, kicked smartly toward the flagstick, and stopped rolling two feet from the cup. I sank the putt for what my partner justly termed a "remarkable six."

In this magical experience, some deep golf revelation was doubtless offered me, but I have never been able to grasp it, or to duplicate the shot. In fact, the only two golf tips I have found consistently useful are these. One (from Jack Nicklaus) on long putts, think of yourself putting the ball half the distance and having it roll the rest of the way. Two (from I forget -- Mac Divot?): on chip shots, to keep from underhitting, imagine yourself throwing the ball to the green with the right hand.

Otherwise, though once in a while a 7-iron rips off the clubface with that pleasant tearing sound, as if pulling a zipper in space, and falls toward the hole like a raindrop down a well; or a drive draws sweetly with the bend of the fairway and disappears, still rolling, far beyond the applauding sprinkler, these things happen in spite of me, and not because of me, and in that sense I am free, on the golf course, as nowhere else."
"It's for everyone to choose his own path to glory - or perdition" Ben CRENSHAW

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2009, 02:38:52 PM »
Sebastien - thanks much for posting that. There are several strokes of genuis in that bit of writing, and the whole of it is just wonderful.  Rest in Peace, Mr. Updike

Peter

Rich Goodale

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2009, 02:42:20 PM »
Yes, there were some very good moments in that piece.  RIP, John Updike, Golfer.

Phil McDade

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2009, 03:43:09 PM »
Apparently did a lot of golfing here:

http://www.golfclubatlas.com/myopiahunt1.html

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2009, 03:56:52 PM »
Indeed, he was as proud of Myopia as any rabbit that might run.  Updike was our great literary figure in golf and he currently is not replaceable.  Pick up any of his works that deal with golf (concur on Golf Dreams) and you will appreciate what a great writer can do with our fine game.  Godspeed and good travels, John.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

goldj

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2009, 05:17:24 PM »
John Updike was my host and playing partner at Myopia the only time that I've had the opportunity to play this marvelous course.  John's stepson is one of my business partners and, after a few polite nudges on my part, he was able to arrange a game for me with John.

I was advised beforehand that John liked to talk golf when he played and that any discussion of weightier subjects like his books or the state of the cosmos was to be left to another time and venue.  And, true to the advice that I had received,  that was what happened.  Our day was about golf.

John was a joy to be with, full of stories of great and not-so-great golfers and the pecadillos of all. While he had never seen the GCA writeup, he knew all the stories, and many more.  It was clear that golf was one of his great passions. 

It was a glorious afternoon and I will never forget what a wonderful man he was.

Dan Kelly

« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2009, 05:37:14 PM »
Every baseball fan here should read this, too (before or after finishing "Golf Dreams"):

"Hub Fans Bid Kid Adieu"

http://www.newyorker.com/archive/1960/10/22/1960_10_22_109_TNY_CARDS_000266305
"There's no money in doing less." -- Joe Hancock, 11/25/2010
"Rankings are silly and subjective..." -- Tom Doak, 3/12/2016

Bill Shamleffer

« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2009, 05:51:05 PM »
Every baseball fan here should read this, too (before or after finishing "Golf Dreams"):

"Hub Fans Bid Kid Adieu"

http://www.newyorker.com/archive/1960/10/22/1960_10_22_109_TNY_CARDS_000266305

Dan,

I just read that essay for the first time early today and you are right, what a great piece of sports writing.

For the first few years after Herbert Warren Wind's retirement, I was actually hoping that Mr. Updike would do some post-tournament articles for the New Yorker.  But I can appreciate he likely did not have the interest to do a journalistic writing that would be required for that type of essay.  Although I suspect he also may not have had the interest in professional tournament golf as did Mr. Wind.

But that Ted Williams piece is so good that I immediately forwarded it to a couple of close friends who are baseball fans.
“The race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but that's the way to bet.”  Damon Runyon

John Sabino

« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2009, 07:22:58 PM »
very sad news, one of the best and funniest golf writers of our generation
Author: How to Play the World's Most Exclusive Golf Clubs and Golf's Iron Horse - The Astonishing, Record-Breaking Life of Ralph Kennedy

http://www.top100golf.blogspot.com/

Jim Sweeney

« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2009, 07:29:36 PM »
He wrote one of the great lines, I think, about true golfers. It is the last sentence from his address to the USGA anniversary banquet in 1995. Unfortunately I am on the road and do not have "Golf Dreams" with me, but the line is something like,

"All a golfer needs is a fence to hang his coat and a target somewhere over the rise."

Indeed.
"Hope and fear, hope and Fear, that's what people see when they play golf. Not me. I only see happiness."

" Two things I beleive in: good shoes and a good car. Alligator shoes and a Cadillac."

Moe Norman

Walter Bart

« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2009, 08:47:37 PM »
   He will be missed.

As an aside,  I played the 9 hole Cape Ann course in Essex last year.
 Knowing that he had played this course most every day prior to his joining Myopia,  I asked  whether he still played there.  Was told that he  was still
coming  there on a irregular basis.

This course was the subject of the 1979 story " The Golf Course Proprietor" which appears in Golf Dreams

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2009, 01:09:30 AM »
He wrote one of the great lines, I think, about true golfers. It is the last sentence from his address to the USGA anniversary banquet in 1995. Unfortunately I am on the road and do not have "Golf Dreams" with me, but the line is something like,

"All a golfer needs is a fence to hang his coat and a target somewhere over the rise."

Indeed.

Another vote for Golf Dreams.  Here's the speech, on the strength of this we could adopt him as an Honarary Member.

USGA’s Centennial Dinner on Dec. 8, 1994 at The Met in New York City:

When I was asked to speak to you this evening, my first thought was, "Oh, no – my golf is not nearly good enough!" But then I reflected that one of the charms of the game is that nobody’s golf, not even Fred Couples’ and Nick Faldo’s, is good enough – good enough to please them and their supporters all the time. Golf is a game that almost never fails, even at the highest levels on which it can be played, to mar a round with a lapse or two, and that at the other extreme rarely fails to grant even the most abject duffer, somewhere in his or her round, with the wayward miracle of a good shot. I am here – I have written so much about the game – because I am curiously, disproportionately, undeservedly happy on a golf course, and perhaps we are all here for much the same reason.

We are assembled, specifically, to celebrate the 100th anniversary of the USGA. In the beautiful book observing this centennial, John Strawn’s chapter on the history of the USGA was fascinatingly informative – the organization was founded, essentially, by a champion golfer, Charlie Macdonald, who resented a ruling and rough conditions which cost him a victory in the first American golf championship, played in Newport (Rhode Island) in 1894. Once the USGA had been founded, in the words of its first meeting’s minutes, "to promote the interests of the game of golf" and "to establish and enforce uniformity of the Rules of the game," Charlie Macdonald was able to win the first official Amateur Championship, again at Newport, in 1895. Like the Church of England, then, the USGA was founded to ease one man’s dissatisfactions, and the continuity in its Executive Committee, whose overlapping membership goes back to Macdonald, suggests the Episcopal laying on of hands.

Mr. Strawn points out, too, that from quite early on American golf differed in some particulars from its parent golf in Scotland and England; what was there a game of the people, played on otherwise worthless links land became here a game for gentlemen, played at private country clubs. And yet a democratic sense of fairness, we read, dictated the eventual demise of the stymie and the rise of the dainty custom of cleaning and marking your ball on the green. Primordial golf was a rough and ready game, wherein nothing but a club touched the ball between tee and holing out; you took the terrain and your luck as they came. But in the New World, the ideal of human perfectibility favored medal play over match play, and precise and faithful scorekeeping encouraged ever more perfect golf course conditions.

I wonder, one hundred years after Charlie Macdonald cried out for some rules and course standards, whether we Americans aren’t in danger of taking golf too seriously – too mechanistically. The Canadian writer Arnold Haultain, in his book "The Mystery of Golf," perhaps the first extended literary meditation upon the game, evokes a humble golf course thus: "Certain links I know, far away on a western continent, a nine-hole course, miles from train or tram. Clubhouse there is none; you throw your covert coat and your hat over a fence and – play. There are no greens, there are no flags: the player more familiar with the ground goes ahead and gives you the line. The teeing grounds are marked by the spots where the soil has been scraped by the boot for the wherewithal for tees. Bunkers abound, and bad lies, in the form of hoof marks and cart ruts, do much more abound … And yet to these links," he goes on, "daily gaily trudge ardent golfers, carrying clubs under a sub-arctic August sun."

Haultain, even the rhapsodic rhythm of his prose tells us, was happy on this course, and we might ask ourselves if our own happiness would be significantly diminished if our own courses had less than four different well mowed teeing areas, each framed by flower beds, and if the yardage figures were not inscribed on the sprinkler heads, and if the greens were a shade less smooth than pool tables, and if players without a medical certificate were forbidden to ride golf carts, and if metal woods were banned? Would American golf fall into irremediable melancholy if manufacturers ceased coming up with new lines of ever more ingeniously weighted and shafted clubs, with which pro shops can churn their clientele into an annual lather of technology-based hope? Would American golf, in short, be less happy if a bit less money were to wash through the grand old game?

When did American golf come of age? Some might say in 1904, when Walter Travis won the British Amateur Championship, the first foreigner to do so. Some might pinpoint the 1920s and the international admiration and affection won by the great Bobby Jones. But perhaps most would specify the happy moment in September of 1913 when the unknown 20-year-old Francis Ouimet beat the two foremost British players, Harry Vardon and Ted Ray, for the U.S. Open Championship – an upset that made news, not just golf news. The moment is commemorated by a USGA Centennial logo, based on a well-known photograph. Look at it; what do we see? Two figures, one of them our heroic golfer, a workingman’s son who happened to live in a modest house across from The Country Club in Brookline, Mass. He picked up golf balls on his way to school, he watched the matches across the street, a member gave his older brother some cast-off clubs, the young Ouimets fell in love with the game. Francis played without fuss; needing, on the 18th green, needing to sink a 5-foot putt to enter a playoff with the Englishmen, he rapped it at the back of the cup without a second look. The next day, he calmly beat Vardon by five strokes and Ray by six. And who is the other figure in our logo, a little figure? He is Ouimet’s caddie, a local 10-year-old called Eddie Lowery, carrying a canvas bag that looks to hold about eight clubs. Think of the caddies in today’s championships – burly yardage technicians toting bags the size of small sofas, loudly blazoned with manufacturers’ names for the greedy eyes of the television cameras.

We have come a long way in American golf, but has it been a journey without a price? Amid the million-dollar tournaments and the $5 million clubhouses, might we be losing the unassuming simplicity of the game itself? This out-of-doors simplicity, surely, lies at the heart of golfing bliss, as we are reminded by our logo of two New England boys out for a walk on a drizzly September day. All it takes for a golfer to attain his happiness is a fence rail to throw his coat on, and a target somewhere over the rise.

Let's make GCA grate again!

Sébastien Dhaussy

« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2009, 03:18:47 AM »
Thanks Tony.

And thanks to the USGA Museum (http://www.usgamuseum.com/) for publishing "The spirit of the game" from John Updike :

"I never feel more happily American than when on a golf course. Golf is a game of space, and America is a spacious land - even more so one hundred years ago when the USGA was founded. Nor for the U.S., once the pawky old game took root here, the thrifty Scots’ use of waste linksland by the sandy shore. Forests and farms went under to the shoveling crews and horse teams and then the bulldozer and the front loader to make space for the booming drive, the elevated tee, the glimmering water hazard, the cunning dogleg. This largeness of scale, the epic earthworks that carve a winding green firmament beneath the firmament of cloudy blue, is one of the powerful charms that strikes a newcomer to golf, and that continues to entrance the duffer heavy with years. The tennis court is a cage by comparison, and the football field a mirthless gridiron. Only baseball also consecrates a meadow to play, and not one so wide and various, besprinkled with flowers, studded with trees, haunted by wildlife - a giant humming odorous piece of nature. The same course, played ninety times a summer, is never the same; the wind, the wetness of the soil, the thickness and tint of the foliage all affect the flight of the ball and the condition of the lie. Playing golf, we breathe natural vastness, and reclaim Adam’s Edenic heritage.

The tools of the game answer to this vastness - the little ball, engagingly dimpled all over, and the hawk-faced clubs, with their wooly hoods. When else does a person move an object so far and high with mere musculature, as mystically leveraged by the mechanics of the swing? What a beautiful thing a swing is, what a bottomless source of instruction and chastisement! The average golfer, if I am a fair specimen, is hooked when he hits his first good shot; the ball climbs into the air all of its own, it seems - a soaring speck conjured from the effortless airiness of an accidentally correct swing. And then, he or she, that average golfer, spends endless frustrating afternoons, whole decades of them, trying to recover and tame the delicate wildness of that first sweet swing. Was ever any sporting motion so fraught with difficulty and mystery?

The golf swing is like a suitcase into which we are trying to pack one too many items - if we remember to keep our heads still, we forget to shift our weight; if we remember to shift our weight, we lift our head, or stiffen the left knee, or uncock the wrists too soon. A playing partner of mine has had great luck with the four-part formula, “low, slow, inside-out, and finish high.” But this is one too many thoughts for me to hold in the perilous two seconds or so between the stately takeaway and the majestic follow-through. The swing thought that worked so well last Wednesday flies out of my head on Sunday. “Arms like ropes,” “soft from the top,” “turn your back,” “hit with your feet,” “throw your hands at the hole,” “keep the right elbow close to the body,” “touch first the left shoulder with your chin and then the right,” “think oily” - all have worked for me, if only for a spell. The excitement of hitting the ball and seeing where it will go are too much for me. Of all sports, golf at least favors an excitable disposition. You don’t have to look as sleepy as Fuzzy Zoeller, or be as expressionless as Davis Love III, but it takes more than a dash of phlegm to apply one’s talents steadily over the length of eighteen holes.

This, too, this drawling quality of good golf, seems well suited to our national character. Laconic, cool, easy in the saddle, eyes dryly squinting at the distant horizon - these attributes belong equally to the cowboy and the good golfer. Who is more American, Gary Cooper or Sam Snead? Our champions, from Francis Ouimet to Ben Hogan on up to Fred Couples, tend to be terse types who let the clubs do the talking. Once American golfers, basking in the electronic sunshine that Arnold Palmer turned on, became personable on television and productive of gracious on-the-spot interviews, the underexposed Europeans began to win our championships.

Among the benisons golf bestows upon its devotees is a relative hush. One says “good putt” or “too bad” or “two up and three to go” and there is no obligation to say much more; a worshipful silence attends the long walks between shots, the ignominious searching of the rough, the solemn, squatting appraisal of a treacherous, critical putt. Golf is a constant struggle with one’s self, productive of a few grunts and expletives but not extended discourse; it is a mode of meditation, a communion with the laws of aerodynamics, a Puritan exercise in inward exhortation and outward stoicism. Since its rules can be infracted in the privacy of a sand bunker or a sumac grove, it tests the conscience. And it is the only professional game that, under the stress of ever-bigger bucks and crowds, hasn’t lost its manners.

How much poorer my sense of my native land would be if I had not, at the age of twenty-five, fallen in love with golf! Many landscapes have been engraved in my consciousness by the pressures of this or that golf shot. The magnificent view, for instance, from the fourth tee of the Cape Ann public course in Essex, Massachusetts - of salt marshes interwoven with arms of a steel-blue tidal inlet, cottage-laden peninsulas, and strips of glowing white beach - takes fire in my mind’s eye from the exaltation of a well-struck drive drawing into the leftward curve of the fairway, taking a big bound off the slope there, and winding up in fine position to set up a birdie on this scenic patsy of a par five. In Florida, where we can no longer draw close to the original landscape, so thoroughly paved over and air-conditioned, but on a golf course, as one strives to retrieve the ball from the edge of a mangrove swamp or hit it cleanly out of a nest of dried-up palm fronds. The secrets of a locale declare themselves in the interstices of a golf game: the sun-baked spiciness of Caribbean underbrush, the resiny scent and slippery lie beneath a stand of Vermont pines, the numerous anthills of Pennsylvania, like so many cones of spilled coffee grounds. And I am not a golf tourist - the same course day after day holds adventure enough for me, and strangeness, and inexhaustible matter for thought. Until I played golf, for instance, I scarcely knew what grass was - its varying lengths, breadths, resilience, and greens of resistance, glossy uprightness, and just plain friendliness, as it sits your ball up or snuggles it down, and it returns your stare as you trudge the length of the long fifteenth fairway to the pot bunker where your errant three-wood, in an ocean of grass, has found a single lonely island of depressed, depressing sand.

People, too, yield up their nuances to golf. As it happened, several of my early, formative playing partners were women: my first wife’s aunt, who first put a club into my hand and gave me my first tips (hit the ball with the back of your left hand, she said, and take the putter back as many inches as the putt is feet long); a Japanese widow, somewhat my senior, who told me, after an adequate but unsweet shot, “Not you, Not fly like bird”; an Englishwoman, as smart and spiky as her kiltied shoes, who kept the ball stolidy in the center of the fairway and beat me hollow on her green and soggy layout in suburban London. It was a lesson in feminism to pace the course with these determined females. In the seaside Massachusetts town where I spent my masculine prime, my faithful partners were a local druggist, a pediatrician, and the Baha’i owner of an automatic car wash. Reduced each Wednesday to the same innocence and ineptitude, we loved one another, it seems not too much to say; at least we love the world we shared for those four hours, a common ground outside of whose bounds we had little to communicate to one another. A priest without his collar, a movie star without his agent, and a Martha’s Vineyard hippie without his shoes have been some of my other playing companions, all enjoyable, as the differences between us were quickly subdued to the glories and frustrations of the sport of golf.

No other game, to my knowledge, provides so ready and effective a method of handicapping, which can produce a genuine match between gross unequals. On the ski slopes, the son quickly outspeeds the father; at the backgammon table, the mother consistently outsmarts the daughter; but on the golf course, we play our parents and our children with unfeigned competitive excitement, once the handicap strokes are placed on the card. Golf is a great social bridge, and a great tunnel into the essences of others, for people are naked when they swing - their patience or impatience, their optimism or pessimism, their grace or awkwardness, the very style of their life’s desires are all bared. Like children trying to walk and bear cubs trying to climb a tree, they are lovable in their imperfection and then all the more lovable in their occasional triumphs of muscle and will. The putt that wobbles in, the chip that skids up close, the iron that climbs like a rocket and sinks like a plumb line - we cheer such momentary feats as if they were our own. Golf is a competitive experience, yes, but also an aesthetic one - a mutual appreciation that burns away the grit of selfish aggression, or sublimates it, alchemically, into a hovering bonhomie.

On a golf course, I feel free - free of my customary worries, left back at the clubhouse and in the parking lot, and free even of the physical limits placed on my body, as I try to imagine this or that soaring, unerring shot. In Michael Murphy’s mystical yet practical “Golf in the Kingdom,” the acolyte-narrator relates of his critical midnight lesson with the guru Shivas Irons: “As I fell into the focus Shivas wanted, my body widened until it embraced the ball all the way to the target. He had said that the club and the ball are one. ‘Aye, ane fiedle afore ye e’er swung’ [all one field before you ever swung]...and sure enough I became that field.” The spirit of golf is transcendental and free. Americans are not the only people to treasure freedom - all people treasure it, even when they dare not name it - but here above all is freedom proclaimed as a national ideal. After the game’s slow start a century ago (our first golf course, St. Andrew’s in Yonkers, was founded in 1888, fifteen years after Canadians formed the Montreal Golf Club), the United States took to golf with such a vengeance that, between the Age of Jones and the Age of Nicklaus, it seemed an American game. A curious number of that long era’s stars (Byron Nelson, Ben Hogan, Jimmy Demaret, Lee Trevino, Ben Crenshaw) came from Texas, the American superstate, with the widest open spaces and a superabundance of those hot days that bring out golf’s subtlest juices. Now, the Europeans are in the game, and not just our old cronies the English and the Scots; even Germany has produced a superstar. In golf, as in every other international activity, the United States must prove itself anew, and this is a good thing. On the first tee, all men, and all nationalities, are equal, and after the eighteenth green, there is no arguing with the scorecard.

Complexity and simplicity: in the tension between them lies the beauty of the real. Golf generates more books, more incidental rules, more niceties of instruction, and more innovations in equipment than any other game, yet it has a scoring system of divine simplicity: as all souls are equal before their Maker, a two-inch putt counts the same as a 250-yard drive. There is a comedy in this, and a certain unfairness even, which make golf an even apter mirror of reality. But its reflection is a kindly one, with some funhouse warps and waves in the glass; it is life without the weight. Or so it has seemed to me, on many a dewy morning and many a long-shadowed afternoon spent in those pretty pieces of America set aside for this grand and gracious form of play. "

Sébastien Dhaussy

« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2009, 03:20:08 AM »
A Bibliography of John Updike's Golf Writing is also published on USGA museum website :

http://www.usgamuseum.com/about_museum/news_events/news_article.aspx?newsid=40

Sébastien Dhaussy

« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2009, 03:33:29 AM »
Thanks to the North Shore Golf website, a quick 18 by Gary Larabee with John Updike on his passion for the game :

"John Updike, a long time North Shore resident, is one of the world’s most accomplished poets, short-story writers, essayists and novelists. He has won two Pulitzer Prizes, as well as the National Book Award, the American Book Award, the National Book Critics Circle Award and the National Arts Club Medal of Honor.

The Los Angeles Times noted that he “has earned an imposing stance on the literary landscape… earning virtually every American literary award, repeated bestsellerdom and the near-royal status of the American author-celebrity.”

In recent years, he has become a prolific and much-sought-after writer on golf, which has played a prominent role in several of his most successful novels and essays. In 1996, his collection of golf essays, anecdotes and short stories called “Golf Dreams” was released to rave reviews.

Updike is just as likely to be found on one of his many favorite North Shore public courses as he is on Myopia Hunt Club, his home course.

We began our exchange with the creator of Rabbit Angstrom by asking the 71-year-old Updike about his earliest experiences with the game.

1. North Shore Golf: What were your golfing roots?
John Updike: My roots were shallow; golf was beyond my family’s social station, and I didn’t touch a club until my first wife’s Aunt Dorothy put one in my hand on her Wellesley lawn, at the side of the house. I took a piece out of her lawn, but she told me I had a lovely natural swing, and I was hooked. She and I used to play at Nehoiden, in Wellesley, and I began to play by myself at the public courses in and around Ipswich. Soon I acquired some Wednesday afternoon partners, and there was no looking back.

2. NSG: How difficult has the game been for you to learn?
JU: Pretty difficult; my best handicap at Myopia was a 17 and now it’s a 24. I think my basic problem is that I can’t believe, with the irons, that I must take turf for a crisp hit, and that the arms should descend with the wrist-cock intact. I tend to hit from the top, with the usual feeble, pushed and fat results.

3. NSG: Are you a good student on the lesson tee?
JU: No. I get uptight and feel intruded upon. I’d rather work things out for myself, as in my other fields of endeavor.

4. NSG: What is the most important golf tip you have received?
JU: Two from Jack Nicklaus, in some instruction piece I read. On a chip, imagine yourself throwing the ball with your right hand to the desired spot for the first bounce. And in putting, think of yourself stroking the ball halfway to the hole and having it coast the rest of the way. Of course on an uphill putt you imagine more than halfway; on a downhill, less.

5. NSG: What is it about the game that creates such a powerful attraction for so many?
JU: The beautiful landscape, the occasional good hit, the sense of freedom and infinite possibility. The fact that it’s a mind game, which gives even the elderly hope, and makes every round a fresh start.

6. NSG: You are known for popping up without fanfare on any number of modest public courses on the North Shore. Can you give us a condensed update as to your impressions of your preferred layouts in the region?
JU: I played a lot of Candlewood in Ipswich and Cape Ann in Essex when I lived in that area. [Candlewood] is a short, tight course and a real experience in golfing democracy: retirees, 10-year-olds, grandmothers. We all poke it around, trying not to hit each other, and nine holes takes less than two hours.

7. NSG: Your golf writing indicates a strong affection for Cape Ann Golf Course in Essex. Could you explain?
JU: Cape Ann is a more spacious course, with a wonderful high marsh view from the fourth tee, and an amusing tidal water hole for the seventh. It’s actually been improved since I began to play it 45 years ago, though the same family runs it. A nice low-pressure venue. I had my best round ever there: 38 on the first nine, and par 35 on the second, for a sparkling 73. I’m not sure I ever broke 80 again.

8. NSG: What is your history of accomplishment and failure at your home course, Myopia Hunt Club?
JU: Myopia records fewer rounds than any course in New England, I am told, and you can walk on without a tee time most any day, even weekends. The full 18 is a real grind, if you carry your bag as I do. My favorite exercise there is to play a few holes alone, and try to work on what I’m doing wrong. Or right, even.

9. NSG: What was the gist of the conversations you had with the late Jack Lemmon during his visits for the Myopia Fourball?
JU: Lemmon was very charming and low-key; he played with his prep-school roommate, Rick Humphries. The one exchange I remember came on the fourth hole, a dogleg. I had foozled my second shot and, in foul temper, hit down furiously on the ball in the short rough with an 8-iron; it took off like a sizzling rocket and landed right on the green. Lemmon said, “Jesus!”

10. NSG: You do quite a bit of traveling. What are your favorite golf venues outside the North Shore?
JU: I travel, but rarely take my clubs, unless it’s a golf trip. A group of us were going golfing in Brittany just after the World Trade Center was hit, and instead we traveled to Rhode Island. All the courses were delightful, but I remember especially the Newport course, with its clubhouse, up on a knoll, that follows you around, visible from everywhere. I birdied a tough par 3, I remember. I got to play Augusta in ’79, as a reporter covering the Masters, and played St. Andrew in the gloaming with a Welsh father and son, and my wife along with us. Both were idyllic experiences, especially the latter. But I’m not a golf course collector; any old layout is good enough, or too good, for me.

11. NSG: What course would you most like to play for the first time?
JU: Royal Portrush, in Northern Ireland. I missed that trip and people raved about it. I would like to play Dornoch (in Scotland) again, and I suppose Pebble Beach for the first time.

12. NSG: Can you tell us about your greatest triumph on a golf course? What was your worst experience?
JU: I’ve already described my good round at Cape Ann. Playing in a 4-ball at the Essex County Club, my partner and I in the flight finals went up against a formidable pair of brothers and were holding even with them. On the 15th hole, I pulled my drive into the overhanging branches of a pine tree, miss-hit the next shot into the rough halfway up the fairway, got mad with an eight-iron, like the Lemmon shot, come to think of it, and put it within a gimme, for a four. Our hole, and since we had strokes on the next, the long 16th, it seemed likely we would win. We did.
As for worst experiences, I can’t choose between a number of Sunday mornings when, dressed in shorts that were inadequate against the morning chill, I showed up for a final match I knew in my bones we were going to lose, and did. I don’t like playing on Sunday mornings; a lifetime of churchgoing puts a jinx on the clubs.

13. NSG: If you had one “golfing dream” that could become reality, what would it be?
JU: Since I’ve parred every hole at Myopia, putting it all together and parring them all in a row.

14. NSG: How much golf do you watch on TV? Who are your favorite players to watch?
JU: I watch Saturdays and Sundays when I can, especially in the winter, before golf becomes locally feasible.
I love Tiger, and on the distaff side Se Ri Pak. I remember her on television, when she was a new golfer to me, taking off her shoes in an LPGA tournament, standing there in a pond up to her calves and advancing the ball off a bank onto the green. With never as much as a flicker of expression. The mystery of the Orient. As [TV commentator] Johnny Miller said, just the sound of her club on the ball is pure. And I like how she wears her sunglasses on her visor.
Ernie Els has the swing I wish I could emulate. And Vijay Singh. Betsy King is from Berks County, Pennsylvania, as am I, and as long as she was around I rooted for her.

15. NSG: What are you working on for your next major literary project?
JU: I have a massive collection of early short stories to see through the press for this fall and a half-done novel to complete for [Fall 2004. After that, a graceful, grateful silence.

16. NSG: Any future golf writing plans?
JU: None. I think I’ve said it all, including some of this interview, before. Golf was meant to be my relief from writing, not an extension of it.

17. NSG: Golf writing has changed dramatically since the days of Herbert Warren Wind’s masterful works. It seems to have more of an edge, an attitude, if you will, whether it’s daily/weekly reportage or essays, even golf fiction. Do you like the “modern” style of golf journalism?
JU: I loved Wind’s loving resumes of the way golf was, back to Bobby Jones and Walter Travis and Ouimet at Brookline in 1913.
He really put you there, whether he was there or not. Good golf writing has to be saturated in the past, to have Wind’s quality of reverence for achievements written, as it were, on the wind. Playing St. Andrews, we walk the same ground as Old Tom and Young Tom Morris, squint at the same distances, over the same yellow gorse. Good golf writing extends the great fellowship of golfers, dead and living both. I fear that the reporting on the game, along with the game itself, is getting caught up in the hype, the money washing into the game from the advertisers on TV. All this hype about Annika Sorenstam was unheard of when Babe Didrikson did the same thing in 1945. As if male golfers haven’t had some of their most enjoyable rounds with female players, and haven’t learned from them. Golf, like politics, is in danger of being boiled down to video-bites, a Reader’s Digest approach to one of the few leisurely activities left.

18. NSG: Your “Hub Fans Bid Kid Adieu” essay about Ted Williams’ final game at Fenway Park in 1960 is a literary classic. Would you like to do a Jack Nicklaus version when the Golden Bear plays his final tournament?
JU: Jack’s last tournament isn’t apt to be as dramatic as Ted’s last game. Nor does Nicklaus captivate me the way that Williams did.
I was a [Arnold] Palmer rooter, and resented the way “Fat Jack” took golf over. Also, people emulating his hanging over putts added an hour to the average American round.

Still, with Tiger faltering a little lately, you have to appreciate the record the man left. Anyway, golf isn’t like baseball - the last game is the one just before you die."

Rich Goodale

« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2009, 04:54:23 AM »
Most of the little golf I played in my youth (50's and 60's) was on summer holidays at Candlewood and Cape Ann.  I wonder if I had a close encounter with the great man during those times.....

Bill Weber

« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2009, 07:07:12 AM »
John Updike, as is the case of many members on this site, truly "got it". In our everyday life we find just a few who fit this description and is one of the reasons I continue to lurk. I believe this will become one of the gems of the discussion group. Thanks to all who have contributed additional pieces of Mr. Updike. RIP John.

Bill Shamleffer

« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2009, 07:21:51 AM »
http://www.linksmagazine.com/best_of_golf/features/what's_ahead_for_tiger.aspx?ht=updike%20updike

Hopefully Golf Digest will soon post on their site some of the old Updike essay's written for Golf Digest.

JMorgan

« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2009, 09:33:06 AM »
I have always been a fan of Updike's collected critical writing, starting with Hugging the Shore.  He matured gracefully from a protected "bright young thing" into an erudite man of letters, and developed a unique style of reviewing that gave the author a chance to defend himself while at the same time giving the reader a choice and ample taste of the work under his microscope.  It's an excellent template for any type of criticism -- golf course architecture included.

And he was much more than a writer of "parochial neighborhoods" and "wife-swapping," as stung Salman Rushdie recently characterized him. 

One of the first great golf moments in Updike: Rabbit, Run, Rabbit playing golf with Rev. Eccles, Rabbit tries to explain what is missing from his marriage. Rabbit then hits a perfect drive:  "That's it! ... That's it." 

J.U. played quite a few rounds with Tim O'Brien, too.  I hope O'Brien will recount a few of those moments in print somewhere.

Agman

« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2009, 09:46:08 AM »
Two years ago, the Wall Street Journal asked me to interview Updike about the game for a special golf section the paper was putting together in anticipation of the Ryder Cup in Ireland. His thrall for the game remained undiminished, and, in his mid-70s, was still embraced by golf's essential hopes and frustrations. Since the only online access to the Q+A is via subscription to the Journal website, I've cut-and-pasted it below...

js

-------------------------------------------------

Rabbit, Golf
John Updike talks about his dreams, his clubs, his game and Tiger Woods

By JEFF SILVERMAN

For nearly half a century, John Updike -- his 25th novel, "Terrorist," arrived in June -- has managed to integrate his writing life with his golfing life, even merging the two, from time to time, in both his fiction and his essays. Ten years after the publication of "Golf Dreams," the collection of his golfing prose and poetry, Mr. Updike sat down to talk about his continuing relationship to the game.

Still Dreaming
THE WALL STREET JOURNAL: Do you still have golf dreams?

MR. UPDIKE: Sometimes, but fewer. I think that my subconscious seems to be less busy with golf, but my conscious mind is still working away trying to figure out how to do it right.

WSJ: Have your golf dreams changed?

MR. UPDIKE: They're still frustrating, and they still ask me to accept basically impossible situations like trying to putt on a highly uneven surface or aiming for tiny targets that get tinier as the dream goes on. I think that's pretty well expressive of my daytime experience with golf.

WSJ: How is that experience?

MR. UPDIKE: It's still hopeful. I've had a couple -- for me -- pretty good rounds where it all seemed easy. But I've found that as I get older and closer to senility that I tend to do those primitive things like looking up, especially with an easy shot -- an easy chip 40 yards from the green, I look up and squirt it over into a sand trap. So, my golf still has attitudinal problems.

WSJ: Still, that sounds optimistic because 10 years ago you seemed on the edge of despair with your game.

MR. UPDIKE: I'm still looking for the perfect tip that will cure my beginner's slice. I find that picturing the descent of the clubhead, and making sure it doesn't stray outside the limits of where the ball is, kind of squares it up, and I do hit some straight shots as a result. But then with every tip like that you begin to inhibit your swing and kind of lose power. But I'm still hopeful.

WSJ: Sounds like the game still has you in its thrall.

BEAUTIFUL GAME 'I like having the clubs wrapped around me'
MR. UPDIKE: Yes. It's a difficult game and yet it's a beautiful one, and I think people who work with their heads like it because it is a thinking man's game. You're always looking for the mental tip that will improve your game. That's exciting. And just being out of doors in that wonderful artificial landscape. I'm happy that at 74 I have no striking infirmities. I can still turn. I'm probably not as elastic as I was in my 30s, but I still feel that the fault is basically mine and not my body's.

WSJ: You've written about being on an island of happiness on the golf course. What is it about this game?

MR. UPDIKE: I once wrote that I'm "undeservedly happy" on a golf course, especially in the beginning, when you can envision a superior round ahead of you, and before the strokes begin to mount up. But I kind of remain happy throughout. I think it's the challenge. The fact that it's exercise that's not too demanding. The fact that there's some companionship involved. Also, I was a math teacher's son, so the mathematics of it is appealing to me. I often keep the score and keep it rigorously, as rigorously as I can. I never give anybody more than an 8, and don't give myself more than a 7.

WSJ: What concessions have you made as you've gotten older?

MR. UPDIKE: We're having a hot spell up here in New England, and my wife is very worried that I'm going to overdo out of macho reasons. So yesterday I did consent to riding a cart. Five or 10 years ago, even in the heat, I would have walked and, in fact, I'd have carried. I like having the clubs kind of wrapped around me. I like being close to the clubs, and I like walking up to the ball instead of zig-zagging toward it in a cart.

WSJ: So you normally walk?

MR. UPDIKE: Ideally I like to walk and carry. You want to get some health benefit out of this, otherwise it's all exasperation and disappointment.

'A Shoe on a Stick'
WSJ: What do you have in your bag?

MR. UPDIKE: I carry a Ping driver, which has been pretty good. It's one of these things that look almost like a shoe on a stick, the clubhead is so big. It has a nice blue stripe that comforts me, and a green shaft which I like. I have a Callaway 3-metal, which occasionally has done wonderfully. The irons are Cobras, wedge through 4, and I have an old sand wedge that a good golfer won for us in a tournament. It's kind of rusty, but I can't really function with any other sand wedge, and don't do very well with this. My putter was given to me as a birthday present by my first wife very many years ago. I wanted a center-shafted putter, and I've never seen any reason to change it or update it. It's kind of a minimal set.

WSJ: But you do have that big-headed driver.

MR. UPDIKE: Occasionally, a sweet hit will go farther than my drives usually do. I just don't have enough of them. We all like technology when we can use it, but the best club in the world and the farthest flying ball in the world aren't going to straighten out your drives for you.

WSJ: Do you think that far-flying ball goes too far?

MR. UPDIKE: Not when I hit it. It can never go too far for me. I would think if you're going to make an adjustment in the game the ball is much easier to tinker with than the clubs. I don't think it should go any farther than it does now. And already, the fact that the pros miss so many fairways indicates to me that the ball may just be flying too far.

WSJ: Technology and its costs -- both in dollars and cents and how it's made some of the classic courses obsolete -- are aspects of the game that many complain about. What irks you?

MR. UPDIKE: There's a certain agony in waiting. It takes the best part of the day to play a round.

WSJ: You once said that if you spent as much time writing or thinking about writing as you did on the golf course or thinking about golf, you'd have won the Nobel Prize. Have you really spent that much time around golf?

MR. UPDIKE: Not as much as sleeping and probably not as much as eating, but it has taken a giant slice, and many's the time I've had to jump up from writing and go off and play golf. Some of the human aggravation is that it all moves terribly slow, whether it really does or whether it's your Einsteinian relative time sense. It's kind of a time-wasting game.

WSJ: Does the writer in you regret that?

MR. UPDIKE: No, because you can't write all the time, and I don't. I wouldn't have taken the game up when I was 25 if I was an accountant or a doctor or a ditch digger, but I have some free afternoons and I'm happy to a have an excuse to get out of doors and do something physical. And I've been able to write about golf, so I've even made a little money out of all that wasted time.

Bonds of Golf
WSJ: Why do so many golf friendships go so deep?

MR. UPDIKE: Golf is kind of an experience you go through together. It's not exactly like war, not as deadly, but I think you develop the same affection for people who are suffering parallel to your own suffering. I was an only child, and male bonding wasn't one of my great ambitions, but the male bonding bit is nice.

WSJ: Do you pay much attention to the professional game?

MR. UPDIKE: I love to watch the good people do it, and to try to figure out how they do it. And then you find you fall in love with certain players. I'm very partial to Tiger. The women's game, too. I think that the female swing has in a way more to teach the average male player than the male swing, which is so quick and mysteriously powerful that you're not well off trying to emulate it.

WSJ: You said you're partial to Tiger. What do you like about him?

MR. UPDIKE: His ability to concentrate. His ability to come through in the clutch. The human heart longs for heroes, and if you're still playing golf, you tend to idolize the great stars. I don't think that his swing, speaking of emulating swings, it's not exactly an ugly swing, but it certainly isn't Ernie Els's or Vijay Singh's. Those are the swings that I would like to have.

WSJ: The golf world seems to break down into Tiger fans and Phil Mickelson fans. When you think about the way Tiger approaches the game vs. the way Phil does, what do you see?

MR. UPDIKE: Tiger is what they call in this country black. He has a lot of other kind of blood in him, too. But I root for any black player. I root for Jim Thorpe over in the Seniors. I just think it's a terribly white sport, for various sociological reasons, including the fact that there aren't too many golf courses in Harlem.

Lost Simplicity
WSJ: You've written quite movingly about golf in its simplest form vs. the flower beds, cart paths, breaches of etiquette and excessive costs. Is it getting worse?

MR. UPDIKE: I don't see it shrinking. When you do go to Scotland or Ireland and play on the unnamed, unknown courses, you realize what a simple and charming dip this is into the countryside. It's too bad that American courses trend the other way, becoming more manicured, ergo more expensive, more fuss about getting into the clubs, more and more a rich man's sport, where in Scotland and Ireland it began as a poor man's sport.

WSJ: Where have you liked playing over there?

MR. UPDIKE: I went up to Dornoch, and that's really worth it because there you really see a majestic, natural course up there in the twilight zone. I played St. Andrews once in the twilight serendipitously. My wife was with me. I rented clubs and she walked around with me and we joined up with a twosome, father and son, and had a lovely round that ended in the gloaming. That was a great lyrical experience. They're all kind of fun and shaggy and no fuss, and I like that kind of golf.

WSJ: You witnessed the 1999 Ryder Cup at the Country Club in Brookline as a marshal. Another cup is coming up. You've observed that the event gets our blood boiling. Is that good for the game?

MR. UPDIKE: You hate to see the partisanship become so extreme that the crowds heckle the golfers. The game is meant to be a gentleman's game in which you call rule infractions on yourself, and you shake hands before and after, never show hostility, and I think in the Ryder Cup there's the danger of all those manners being suspended. The Ryder Cup I was at was the one where Justin Leonard sank an amazingly long putt and suddenly we went from being losers to being winners and they mobbed him and trampled all over the green [before the match was completed]. That left a bad after-feeling.

WSJ: Do you read much about golf?

MR. UPDIKE: I follow the newspaper accounts. I don't read everything written about the game because it detracts from my writing, but my first acquaintance with golf was through writing -- in murder mysteries. English murder mysteries often have a golf course with a corpse on it.

WSJ: Why is golf such a writer's game?

MR. UPDIKE: It's contemplative. You kind of think your way out of corners. Often you find yourself both in plotting and in golf in an awkward situation of your own making and you try to get out of it. And I think both writing and golfing involve a patient temperament that can be content with slow progress. And you can play golf very happily and hardly talk to anybody for four hours. All those things are appealing to a writer.

WSJ: What do you see as the cornerstones of the golf library?

MR. UPDIKE: I would put certainly one or two of P.G. Wodehouse's golf tales. They're so funny and yet so vivid and you really come to understand golf. And Bernard Darwin's accounts of the British courses and British tournaments. A book that I learned from was Tommy Armour's "How to Play Your Best Golf All the Time," which I find more helpful than Hogan's.

WSJ: If you could fix one thing about the game what would it be?

MR. UPDIKE: You can't really do much about attitude except maybe try to emphasize the basic principles of golf etiquette. Beyond that, it would be nice if you could disconnect golf and money. You lose something when it becomes a privileged sport. It was nice when everybody was out there swinging away with their lessonless, self-taught swings.

WSJ: Finally, at 74, what keeps you coming back?

MR. UPDIKE: It's a curious mixture of peace -- because it's peaceful out there -- and challenge, because you always have another shot to hit. Golf keeps you on your toes, but not to the point of hysteria. It's a gentle, slowly unfolding experience like no other sport that I can think of.

—Mr. Silverman is a writer in Chadds Ford, Pa.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2009, 09:49:21 AM by Agman »

Ray Richard

« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2009, 10:26:37 AM »
I extracted Hub Bids Kid Adieu from the New Yorker archives  last week. Once a year, I reread this story to relive my youth. I attended that game with my father. He wanted me to witness Ted's final game, so I skipped school and sat chilled in the left field stands. An incredible writer.

rboyce

« Reply #23 on: January 28, 2009, 11:14:25 AM »
Remember really enjoying Farrell's Caddy in The New Yorker...which I just read was also collected in "Golf Dreams."

http://www.newyorker.com/archive/1991/02/25/1991_02_25_033_TNY_CARDS_000354729

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #24 on: January 28, 2009, 12:19:07 PM »
Thanks to all who've posted more of Mr. Updike's writing.

He compels me to take up my clubs, and to put away my pen; undoubtedly a good deal all around.

Peter

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back