News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Melvyn Morrow

The Inch Stones on Scotland Golf Courses
« on: January 27, 2009, 11:40:01 AM »

Have you spotted the ‘INCH’ Stones on Scotland Courses.

How many have notice or knew about the Inch stones found in Scotland?

There are stone markers on TOC and Elie. I have just been in contact with Elie and Allan Mackie has confirmed the following “They are known in Scotland as "Inch" stones and were commonly used to mark out boundaries of land. I can immediately think of two on the sixth fairway which are protected with plastic artificial grass, not only so that they are not damaged but to reduce the risk of balls be deflected.”

So the next time in Scotland keep an eye out for them as they are part of the history of golf. Don’t believe me then  read the following letter dated 4th September 1890

It would appear that the course is still highly regarded today as it was then, so not much has changed in 119 years. Just some fun information in these days of pain.

Melvyn

Ally Mcintosh

Re: The Inch Stones on Scotland Golf Courses
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2009, 11:50:15 AM »
Hi Melvyn,

I believe Scott MacPherson talks about the Inch Stones on TOC in his book... with some photographs and plans showing the old width of the course as marked out by them...

I think it's in Scott's book anyway...

Bill_McBride

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2009, 11:55:24 AM »
Elie was one of the venues for last year's Buda Cup, and as fun a golf course as I have played in many years.  It has a very high quirk factor starting with its par of 70 including 16 par 4s and two par 3s, no par 5s.  There are at least six tee shots blind over ridges with an aiming pole on top.  The par 4s range from 256 to 450 yards, with a great variety.  

Melvyn, do you know if the current routing is the same as laid out by Old Tom?  It is so much fun, as you play over the big hill by the periscope on #1, then back up the hill on short par 4 #2, then down to the town on par 3 #3.  Then the course heads out to sea and along the beach until you return to town on #17 and back to the clubhouse on #18.  It is really a spirited routing and I'm just wondering how old it is.

Didn't see any Inch Stones, but I do remember seeing them on TOC, I thought one is on #5.

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2009, 12:32:25 PM »

Bill

I have not checked out the course i.e. what is left of old Tom's holes, but Bob Kroeger in his book of 1995 claims with assistance form A Drysdale & G Cunningham that the 7th, 8, 9 & 17 are his. These holes were undertaken in 1896 to extend the course from 14 to 18 holes.

Although the letter adds another interesting element in to the conversation because it was dated 6 years before Old Tom extended the course, so he must have undertaken previous work at Elie prior to 1890. That is what I am looking into at the moment. So I believe there is more to tell - the story on Old Tom continues.

Melvyn

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2009, 06:53:14 PM »
I've always known them as 'March Stones' ('Stanes' in the Scots).

The ones on the various links of St Andrews are now covered with bonnie wee astroturf condoms (probably for H&S issues!!!). Wish I had a photo.

FBD.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

David Stamm

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2009, 06:57:39 PM »
If I'm not mistaken, didn't AM include these markers in his map of St Andrews?
"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back