News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

David Neveux

Lesser Known Winter Destinations
« on: January 20, 2009, 07:07:52 PM »
At this point in the winter I've developed a wicked case of Cabin Fever (this website helps A LOT).  I haven't swung a club in what seems like forever.  As the PGA tour seasons begins and football comes to an end, I realize it's time to take a trip.    Generally I take a week or more during March / "spring break" and go play as much golf as possible.

Last year the usual suspects and myself decided to take a road trip from Michigan to Augusta and back.  We played some outstanding courses, and got to see a practice round on Tuesday at the Masters.  It was a real "BLOCKBUSTER" trip, we played Oakmont, Pete Dye GC, Kinloch, The Ocean Course, Bulls Bay, The Honors Course, and few holes elsewhere.  The day we spent at Augusta was needless to say highly enjoyable, especially considering the discount beers, and the fact that Padraig Harrington signed my day pass. 

This year, with everyones schedule being a bit tighter, we have opted to do a couple Long Weekends.  At the end of February we're planning a trip down to Florida.  We are staying in Crystal River, near Brooksville.  We are hoping to play 6 rounds, 3 days.  There seems to be some very worthy courses to visit, and obviously anything beats the Golf Dome or the Heated range at Forest Akers.  It all works out because we have a place to stay, and flights are reasonable. 

BUT,

For the second trip, I'm hoping late March / Early April, Where are some viable destinations to play some good golf for a couple days outside of places like, Pinehurst, Kiawah Island, Bandon, Ect. ?  I'm wondering if anybody can recommend a spot that maybe doesn't get much attention but has enough interesting golf to satisfy our craving.  It has to be a central location, we don't have time to be driving all over the country like maniac's like we typically do.  Nightlife not required, but is a PLUS.  I'll open it up to the experts, thanks in advance,

Nev

Brian Cenci

Re: Lesser Known Winter Destinations
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2009, 09:30:33 PM »
Nebraska, Western Colorado, S.D or Kansas.....Sand Hills, Ballyneal, Sutton Bay, Prairie Dunes, Flint Hills National?

Phoenix and stay w/ friends.....We-Ko-Pa, Troon North, Talking Stick, Forest Highlands (little ways north), Desert Forest

San Fransisco area....Pebble (I'll split my round with ya'), Spyglass, Pasatiempo, Monteray CC

Hilton Head area....Long Cove, Harbor Town, Colleton River, May River

Anything at this point is worth a look.  You and some bad cabin fever going on with the golf.

Andy Troeger

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2009, 10:23:32 PM »
Just as an FYI...Forest Highlands or anything up that way won't be open in March or April. Flagstaff is at 7,000 feet. You could check on Payson or Sedona as those courses might be open. Obviously you can also find plenty of golf in Phoenix to keep you busy.

Albuquerque is warm enough that time of year, but the winds can be really strong depending on the day.

Brian's suggestions are obviously very solid if you can make them happen. You could go to Jacksonville and play TPC Sawgrass, Sea Island, Ocean Forest as a similar type of trip potentially. Or go to the KP in LA in April.

Don Hyslop

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2009, 06:47:09 AM »
Right now the largest potential of growth, I believe, rests in Cuba. Les Furber designed El Varadero, It has several salt water lakes that connect directly to the sea, a feature that makes it almost unique worldwide.
As soon as the U.S. settles normalization issues with Cuba, the golf industry will take off on this beautiful island. Canadians have enjoyed it for some time. At the moment it is one of only two courses on the island. The other is a 9 hole course, the Havana Golf Club.
http://www.golftoday.co.uk/clubhouse/coursedir/world/caribbean/cuba/varadero.html
« Last Edit: January 21, 2009, 06:53:25 AM by Don Hyslop »
Thompson golf holes were created to look as if they had always been there and were always meant to be there.

PCCraig

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2009, 08:55:34 AM »
David-

I have spent a good amount of time in the Pinehurst area in the late March timeframe and the weather is very good, maybe 60* and sunny most days with cool mornings. Other than #2, Forest Creek, Pine Needles, and Tobacco Road are worth your time.

Kiawah would be a little warmer at that time of year. Probably a bit cool for the beach, but perfect for golf. I'm a big big fan of Kiawah and other than the obvious Ocean Course there are the two private courses on the island (River and Cassique) and Briars Creek.

Let me know via PM if you have any questions.
H.P.S.

Bruce Katona

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2009, 09:05:50 AM »
March is Spring in Vegas....golf and a bit of nightlife are a good combination.

Cliff Hamm

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2009, 10:37:48 AM »
RTJ Trail in Alabama?

Tim Gavrich

« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2009, 12:01:30 PM »
If you play the right courses in the Myrtle Beach area, I think you'll be pleased.

Tobacco Road/Tot Hill Farm/others?

Lake Oconee, plus Longshadow isn't too far.  I really like Cuscowilla.

There are some interesting courses in the Aiken, SC area.  If it was good enough for the Rockefellers in the winter...
Senior Writer, GolfPass

Jon Heise

« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2009, 01:49:41 PM »
How about western NC?

We spent a week in Lake Lure, NC, a little resort town ~30 miles east of Asheville.  Played a few really nice, really varied courses, all at a pretty low price too.

Check out Reems Creek, Apple Valley, and Bald Mountain.  We took a little drive out near Charlotte and played Rock Barn and Verdict Ridge, both were pretty damn good.

Of course, youve got some big'guns in that part of the state, but there's a couple we'll want to get to next time down there, Mt Mitchell, Grove Park, Mimosa Hills, Brights Creek...
I still like Greywalls better.

Tom Ferrell

« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2009, 04:34:03 PM »
I like the JAX suggestion.  You have a couple of high-profile "anchor" courses - TPC Sawgrass, Sea Island - and then a whole slew of good, solid budget courses...

Jekyll Island (don't forget the little Oceanside nine-holer by Walter Travis)\
Brunswick CC (arrange in advance - it's private)
Osprey Cove in Saint Mary's
FERNANDINA BEACH Muni
Hyde Park in Jax
and a bunch of others.

You won't be playing Sand Hills, Sutton, Prairie Dunes, etc. in March or April.

Sean_A

« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2009, 06:18:58 PM »

For the second trip, I'm hoping late March / Early April, Where are some viable destinations to play some good golf for a couple days outside of places like, Pinehurst, Kiawah Island, Bandon, Ect. ?  I'm wondering if anybody can recommend a spot that maybe doesn't get much attention but has enough interesting golf to satisfy our craving.  It has to be a central location, we don't have time to be driving all over the country like maniac's like we typically do.  Nightlife not required, but is a PLUS.  I'll open it up to the experts, thanks in advance,

Nev

I haven't seriously checked out the logistics of this trip and I am no expert, but it definitely ticks a lot of boxes.  The trio of http://www.aikengolfclub.com/, http://www.camdencountryclub.com/ & http://www.palmettogolfclub.net/ sounded very appealing to me. 

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Brian Joines

« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2009, 08:53:07 PM »
Nebraska, Western Colorado, S.D or Kansas.....Sand Hills, Ballyneal, Sutton Bay, Prairie Dunes, Flint Hills National?

Phoenix and stay w/ friends.....We-Ko-Pa, Troon North, Talking Stick, Forest Highlands (little ways north), Desert Forest

San Fransisco area....Pebble (I'll split my round with ya'), Spyglass, Pasatiempo, Monteray CC

Hilton Head area....Long Cove, Harbor Town, Colleton River, May River

Anything at this point is worth a look.  You and some bad cabin fever going on with the golf.

12-16 of my friends and I are going to Phoenix during the first week of May. (Not exactly a winter escape) I was also out in Phoenix over Christmas break and think it's an excellent destination for a buddy trip. This time we're planning to play Talking Stick North, We-ko-pa, Vista Verde, Sedona GR and Forest Highlands. Andy is right about Forest Highlands. They open up on May 1st according our member friend. Just make sure to book any tee times that you can on golfnow.com or golfhub.com. Rates are usually half off the rack rates at many courses. Troon North, Talking Stick, TPC, Vista Verde, The Boulders and many more use those sites.

We rented a house there in December and if you have enough people, this is the way to do it. We're renting the same again when we go out in May. It's a great location, resonably priced and much more comfortable than everyone squeezing in to a block of hotel rooms. If you're traveling with enough people, I'd definitely consider it. I used vrbo.com to do it. The exact house was http://www.vrbo.com/213914 (You can even work on your short game in the evenings)

Anyway, I would highly recommend Phoenix/Scottsdale as a great winter escape.

David Heiser

« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2009, 09:57:15 AM »
www.GolfCarambola.com
www.Carambolabeach.com

Golf/Scuba/beach

For those of you preferring something a bit more tropical.....

Dave Heiser
GM
CGCC
STX, USVI

Richard Boult

« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2009, 10:34:46 AM »
California Central Coast (Santa Barbara, San Luis Obispo). Golf in the AM, Wineries in the PM. www.golfslo.com.

Sandpiper, Rancho San Marcos, La Purisima, Marshallia, Monarch Dunes, Cypress Ridge, Hunter Ranch

J_ Crisham

« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2009, 07:11:27 PM »
Houston is a great option as well. I just returned  from there Weds. The temps were 70 and crystal clear. Played with 3 other GCAers. Conditions are very firm and fast as the grass has gone dormant. Greens were exceptional. Multitude of courses to play and reasonable airfare to get to.I was quite impressed for this time of year.      Jack

David Neveux

« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2009, 12:28:01 PM »
Thanks for all the suggestions.  I'd like to take my little brother on a long weekend over his college spring break. 

Arizona seems to be like a good idea, I've never been there, It's warm and we have some family out that way. 

Houston (Texas alone) has always intrigued me.  Jack, be curious to hear some suggestions in and around the Houston area; I've also got an old roomate in the area.

Pinehurst is always an option, and offers so many courses with quite a bit of diversity. 

Vegas baby, vegas.  Has always been appealing, but cost (both golf / food / hotel / blackjack) has always been a deal-breaker for me. 

Sam Morrow

« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2009, 12:36:14 PM »
Thanks for all the suggestions.  I'd like to take my little brother on a long weekend over his college spring break. 

Arizona seems to be like a good idea, I've never been there, It's warm and we have some family out that way. 

Houston (Texas alone) has always intrigued me.  Jack, be curious to hear some suggestions in and around the Houston area; I've also got an old roomate in the area.

Pinehurst is always an option, and offers so many courses with quite a bit of diversity. 

Vegas baby, vegas.  Has always been appealing, but cost (both golf / food / hotel / blackjack) has always been a deal-breaker for me. 

If you come to Houston I'd play High Meadow Ranch................. ;)

J_ Crisham

« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2009, 02:14:35 PM »

David,   I would agree with Sam that HMR is a great choice. Redstone is nice but not cheap . The other golf I play in Houston is on the private side so my knowledge of other publics is limited. Good luck,  Jack

Anthony Gray

« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2009, 02:18:49 PM »

Winter here. Summer down under.

Anthony

Jason Topp

« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2009, 03:09:49 PM »
San Antonio

New Mexico

Both have good to great golf options, outstanding food, relatively reasonable prices and good weather at that time.

Andy Ryall

« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2009, 10:29:30 PM »
I would highly recommend the RTJ Trail - specifically the Opelika/Auburn site.  Plus you have Auburn University about 15 minutes away with world class co-eds and college bars.  Marriott resort on-site is nice and you could do 3 days and get the 4th free. 

I know the merits of RTJ's design (or Roger Rulewich's actually) have been questioned by some, but I think the two 18-hole big courses and the 18 hole Par 3 track are a great value.  The Short Course is fantastic and a great venue for skins.

Weather-wise, the biggest threat is rain.  Temps should at least be in the 60s.

Damon Groves

« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2009, 11:57:56 PM »
California Central Coast (Santa Barbara, San Luis Obispo). Golf in the AM, Wineries in the PM. www.golfslo.com.

Sandpiper, Rancho San Marcos, La Purisima, Marshallia, Monarch Dunes, Cypress Ridge, Hunter Ranch

Given the question is "lesser known" winter destinations I agree that these in the Central Coast are excellent choices. Sandpiper and La Purisima are great and Monarch Dunes is fun at a great price. Also do not forget Ojai which you can play without staying there.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back