News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Wade Whitehead

GCA & Wikipedia
« on: January 25, 2009, 02:00:36 PM »
I've been struck, especially since taking a more focused and recent look, by the significant lack of information on Wikipedia about golf courses most discussed on GCA and, more generally, on golf architecture and architects.

For example, the article on Cypress Point is essentially a scorecard.  Garden City's is a single sentence.  There is no article on Mike Strantz.

Current architects and well-known courses that permit public play seem to have more robust articles; this may be the result of their own involvement in editing as a means of marketing.

For what reasons have more astute GCAers refrained from building Wikipedia's contribution?  Do sites like this (GCA) serve the need?  Is there little - or no - interest in providing that sort of information in a more public (or at least popular) forum?

Just wondering what the reasons might be, assuming they even exist.

WW
« Last Edit: January 25, 2009, 02:02:11 PM by wwhitehead »

Kyle Harris

Re: GCA & Wikipedia
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2009, 02:09:38 PM »
There are a few factors.

First, Wikipedia is meant to be an encyclopedia and not source for publication of original research. As such, a lot of the club histories and other information are not well represented in popular, peer-reviewed, published works. Articles on Wikipedia not containing a wealth of encyclopedic citation are ultimately tagged for cleanup and usually either heavily edited so the content represents a more encyclopedic entry until original research is published elsewhere. 

rboyce

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2009, 02:14:10 PM »
i've had this same thought many times. someone should create a wikigolf.com or similar and let the public start building a collection of knowledge on public and private courses.

Include: History, course description, fees, pictures, locations, maps, legends, etc. etc.

course aficionados could even house their big course debates on this site and present varying opinions for the reader's evaluation.

there has got to plenty of off the shelf wiki software that could be customized to create this service fairly easily and inexpensively. just put the template out there and let the golf world fill it. well, don't look at me.

:-\

Wade Whitehead

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2009, 09:39:23 AM »
Just wondering: Is there interest in rboyce's idea: a template for creating and sharing "articles" on golf courses, complete with features like GoogleMaps links, histories, hole-by-hole, etc., with a focus on depth rather than breadth, and geared more towards a treehouse kind of crowd than a Sports Illustrated reader?

The thought interests me.

WW

Kyle Harris

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2009, 12:46:24 PM »
Just wondering: Is there interest in rboyce's idea: a template for creating and sharing "articles" on golf courses, complete with features like GoogleMaps links, histories, hole-by-hole, etc., with a focus on depth rather than breadth, and geared more towards a treehouse kind of crowd than a Sports Illustrated reader?

The thought interests me.

WW

Quite interested.

Tim_Cronin

« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2009, 05:28:57 PM »
Something like that would take a lot of server space, bandwidth, whatever the techie term is. And that would cost money. I don't know what Ran pays to keep this site running (thanks, Ran!), but it's got to be more than $9.95 a month. Now imagine a site with, eventually, tens of thousands of pages, illustrations, etc. Yikes!
The website: www.illinoisgolfer.net
On Twitter: @illinoisgolfer

Michael Mimran

« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2009, 05:31:55 PM »
Why not just use Wikipedia?  Every course would have it's own page....and it's free.

Matthew Rose

« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2009, 05:40:20 PM »
It'd be nice to see more info on Wiki, not just about courses but archies as well.

I was disappointed to see nothing on Ken Killian there, who just passed away. There was a very small (one paragraph) blurb on his partner, Dick Nugent. Obviously the Dyes and Doaks have a little more on their pages.

I've tweaked some course pages from time to time, usually courses that have been renovated recently.

American-Australian. Trackman Course Guy. Fatalistic sports fan. Drummer. Bass player. Father. Cat lover.

Wade Whitehead

« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2009, 05:42:14 PM »
Why not just use Wikipedia?  Every course would have it's own page....and it's free.

So, back to my original question: Why haven't GCAers been more active on Wikipedia?

Why aren't there better articles on great courses and architects?

WW

Kyle Harris

« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2009, 07:45:09 PM »
I wrote and still watch over the article on the Penn State Golf Courses.

We should probably put together an encyclopedic article on Cobbs Creek.

Steve Lang

« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2009, 09:42:52 PM »
 8) Why aren't there more gca.comer's writing my home course reviews for gca.com??  focus, focus, focus.. time, time, time
Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

Emil Weber

« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2009, 10:12:09 PM »
This isnot true for the German version of Wikipedia - Ulrich Mayring has written some great articles about the Golden Age, the architects, links golf....

John_Conley

« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2009, 10:38:50 PM »
Wikipedia was working just great for golf, but the pages for Michelle Wie, The Bridge, and Merion were changed back and forth so often that a few computers in St. Petersburg flat-out melted.  Jimmy Wales found this a poor use of their donated resources so golf is off the table now.

Phil_the_Author

« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2009, 11:02:17 PM »
"Wikipedia was working just great for golf, but the pages for Michelle Wie, The Bridge, and Merion were changed back and forth so often that a few computers in St. Petersburg flat-out melted.  Jimmy Wales found this a poor use of their donated resources so golf is off the table now."

MERION strikes again!

Steve Kline

« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2009, 07:24:30 AM »

So, back to my original question: Why haven't GCAers been more active on Wikipedia?

Why aren't there better articles on great courses and architects?

WW

Because I've only been to Wikipedia once in my life. I come here for info about architects and golf courses.

Christoph Meister

« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2009, 11:30:42 AM »
This isnot true for the German version of Wikipedia - Ulrich Mayring has written some great articles about the Golden Age, the architects, links golf....

That's true - I can confirm it!

Christoph
Golf's Missing Links - Continental Europe
 https://www.golfsmissinglinks.co.uk/index.php/wales-2
EAGHC European Association of
Golf Historians & Collectors
http://www.golfika.com
German Hickory Golf Society e.V.
http://www.german-hickory.com

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back