News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Sam Kestin

Folks,

Let me first thank those of you who have checked out the Insider's Guide to Riviera CC that I wrote. Your feedback and compliments about it were unbelievably kind. For those of you who haven't seen it, it is available at  http://www.azaleagolf.com/rivieraGuide.shtml. Take a look...it might further enhance the experience of watching the TOUR players tackle the brilliant Thomas design this afternoon.   

As a thanks to you guys (not just for your input on the guide, but for collectively making this site the best place on the internet to learn about golf course design/architecture), I wanted to give all you GCAers the first crack at the first-ever prize ever to be awarded via an AzaleaGolf contest--a free box of your favorite golf balls (monogrammed with your initials, if you so desire).

The contest is entitled the Ben Hogan Sunday Challenge and the basic concept is simple: entrants answer ten trivia questions about Riviera CC (specifically about its history and design) and then make ten predictions as to how the events may unfold at Hogan's Alley later this afternoon. Players get points for each correct answer, and the player who earns the most points wins the free box of balls.

I describe this contest in the title as an "easy shot to win" because as of this posting I literally have ZERO entries. I just created the contest over the course of the last few hours, and you all are the first ones to know about it. I honestly think, at best, I'm going to get like ten entries...so anyone who participates should feel good about their chances of winning knowing there isn't going to be a whole lot of competition.

Beyond the free golf balls, I hope participating in this contest might also add a little more enjoyment to the experience of watching the Northern Trust late this afternoon. There's nothing I hate more than getting fired up to watch a golf tournament and then it turns out to be a drama-free six shot rout...and, unfortunately, it's looking like we might have a rout on our hands if Phil continues to get it up and in every single time and Butch's emergency help after Friday's round continues to pay off.

To keep it interesting, I designed the questions for the "Crystal Ball" aspect of the competition around the last three pairings in the tournament and their performance on the last two holes at Riviera CC...so if the tournament proper turns out to be less than exciting you all can still have fun rooting for your predictions to pan out.

It will remain open for new entries right up to the minute that the third-to-last pairing completes the sixteenth hole...not only to give more people a chance to see it and get involved, but also to add what I think is an interesting dynamic...those who are so inclined can use the late contest closing to their advantage by watching some (the first two hours or so) of the CBS coverage and using what they see to make their predictions.

If you've got any interest in participating, head on over to the contest's home page at http://www.azaleagolf.com/northTrivia.php and check it out.

-Sam

PCCraig

Once I took the test and hit enter the screen gave me an error sign.
H.P.S.

Sam Kestin

Hmm...give me a few minutes and figure out what the heck that's all about...I'll post on here when I've solved the problem...Sorry for the inconvenience!

Sam

Ronald Montesano

Ditto...here's the error message:

Could not insert data because Duplicate entry '0' for key 1

I used Firefox...I'm going to try it with internet explorer and see if it makes a difference...Nope same error.

Sorry, Sam, but if you tested it before you made it live, something went wrong.  That might be why you have zero responses.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Sam Kestin

Guys-

I just woke up my web guy and he's fixing the problem as we speak. He assured me we should be up and running within the hour...so take your time figuring out your predictions and check back in an hour (hopefully it'll be less...30 minutes is what he told me). There are still some 4+ hours remaining before entries close.

If you're pressed for time and you can't come back later today but still want to participate in the contest, you're welcome to submit your entry via email directly to me at "skestin@azaleagolf.com."

Not that it matters to you all, but the glitch occurred when I changed some of the Crystal Ball questions to make them a little more interesting. Prior to the changes, all of our testing of the interface was working just fine. I can't imagine why changing just the text would have caused a synchronization problem with our database server, but apparently it did.

Again, please accept my apologies for the inconvenience and thanks for the head's up about the problem. Thanks to you, this thing should be back on track shortly. I hope this hiccup doesn't discourage too many of you from participating.

Ronald Montesano

The questions look completely different on IE and Firefox.  On IE they don't have A. B. C. D., whereas on Firefox they do.

Ron M.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

PCCraig

Ok I entered!

Hopefully I'll be the only one  ;)  ;D
H.P.S.

Ronald Montesano

Ahh, too bad...now there are two of us entered.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Sam Kestin

As you can probably tell from Mr. Craig's post, the contest is back up and running. Sorry for the delay...clearly, we were victims of an elaborate sabotage effort by Mr. Craig to ensure that he was the only one who played and thus giving himself a chance to win the free golf balls. Me and my web guy have gone back and undone the work of this sly fox...and now it's open again to one and all.

Just kidding...the real story is that we had a small glitch regarding the site files on the server like 3 days ago and had to revert to a backed-up version that was a few hours behind the version as we had it at the time of the glitch. When we went back to check each page and make sure we had the most updated version possible (or make the changes that had been lost), we saw the contest and it visually looked exactly as it had looked before...but the key difference was an inconsistency in some back-end coding that hadn't been completely finished when we saved the backed-up version of the site. To us, it looked the same as it did before the glitch and thus it never occurred to us to re-test the interface--a big time rookie mistake.

Sorry for making a double bogey on this thing...but I hope there's still enough time that some of you can still enjoy it. If not, I suppose Mr. Craig will enjoy it enough for the rest of you!

Sam

PS- My apologies for the difference in the question presentation between IE and Firefox...but I promise you that it doesn't affect the validity of your entry in any way shape or form.

PCCraig

Ahh, too bad...now there are two of us entered.

Bring it Ronald!   :) :) ;D
H.P.S.

Ronald Montesano

Did this complex mother ever declare a winner?
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

PCCraig

I've checked a couple times...but no winner yet. I'm not sure my predictions were too great!
H.P.S.

Steve Lang

8) No offense, but am I the only one that finds this a rather blatant commercial misuse of Ran's gca.com bandwidth?
Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

Ronald Montesano

not the only one, not that it stopped me from having a go.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back