News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

JohnV

Northgate GC in Reno closing
« on: January 22, 2009, 07:56:58 PM »
This time it isn't a rumor.  The Reno / Sparks Convention and Vistors Authority is closing Northgate GC.

Article on closing

JV

Joel_Stewart

Re: Northgate GC in Reno closing
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2009, 11:25:23 AM »
I never played it, it was another one of those courses that are under the radar.  With the resort courses that are close by, it never picked up the tourists and I guess locals couldn't keep it afloat.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2009, 11:32:34 AM »
Is that the course that started with a big swooping par 4 dogleg left with a deep valley in front of the green?

Mike Benham

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2009, 11:38:30 AM »
I played it a few times, when on the North Shore of Tahoe and no private club access, it was the most affordable alternative to Northstar, Incline Village ...

It was/is a windy location and it feels like the design was compromised by a lack of property as some of the holes required layup tee shots (with mid-irons) short of the mini-canyons and barrancas.  With the altitude, it always played short ...

It might have been expensive to maintain, I don't believe the soils in that area are all that great and with the wind and humidity in the Reno area, they probably had to dump a ton of water on it.  (As a side-bar, during one round at Northstar, I played with a member of the grounds crew who stated that during the season, the would apply a million gallons of water a night on the course ... I have no idea if that is a lot or a little but it sounds impressive)

Bill - Yes ...
"... and I liked the guy ..."

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2009, 11:54:05 AM »
 (As a side-bar, during one round at Northstar, I played with a member of the grounds crew who stated that during the season, the would apply a million gallons of water a night on the course ... I have no idea if that is a lot or a little but it sounds impressive)

Bill - Yes ...

Thats huge.  I'm told the average course uses 300,000 gallons per day. 

I would love to know the source of the water because if they had to pay for it, that alone would explain the $500k loss.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2009, 12:05:08 PM »
I played it a few times, when on the North Shore of Tahoe and no private club access, it was the most affordable alternative to Northstar, Incline Village ...

It was/is a windy location and it feels like the design was compromised by a lack of property as some of the holes required layup tee shots (with mid-irons) short of the mini-canyons and barrancas.  With the altitude, it always played short ...

Bill - Yes ...

Long time ago but I remember feeling that "this is an awkward course."

Tim Leahy

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2009, 12:57:51 PM »
I am surprised Trump hasn't swooped in and bought it up.  Times must be hard.
I love golf, the fightin irish, and beautiful women depending on the season and availability.

Mike Benham

« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2009, 02:15:01 PM »
I am surprised Trump hasn't swooped in and bought it up.  Times must be hard.

The Reno / Sparks Authority did not own the course, they were operating it under a lease agreement.  The article said the course / property is being returned to the group that owns it.

"... and I liked the guy ..."

Bill Kubly

« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2009, 09:03:30 PM »
We, Landscapes Unlimited,  built  the Brad Benz designed Northgate probably 20-25 years ago.  It actually was a very unique course to build with very tough, rocky conditions.  There are major ravines on the site as well, but when it was maintained properly it had a great look.  The water came from the irrigation ditches but this water was not available all of the time, so the biggest problem that this course had was lack of water.  The rural water folks would just cut off the water supply and their only option at that time was to haul water to the greens with water trucks and hand water the greens only.  The rest of the course would go dormant or die.  This happened almost every year, so the conditions were terrible at times. 

I remember taking a client out to the the course to show him some of our great work and I was very embarassed about the course conditions.  I remember purchasing a brand new trencher at that time which was one of the biggest I had seen.  We couldn't wait to see what it could do with its "rock teeth", and we were very surprised that it would not even go into the ground.  Most of the irrigation was installed with large caterpillar track backhoes, something that us mid-westerners were not use to. 

It's sad to hear that it is closing because at one time, it was the best course that we had built, and undoubtedly the most difficult. 

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2009, 11:49:00 PM »
Another Reno course could close according to the local paper.  Sierra Sage which boosts $20 green fees is a money loser and may be on the block.

http://www.rgj.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/200902200137/NEWS04/902200434

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back