News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Neil_Crafter

Mackenzie visits France - Le Touquet
« on: January 20, 2009, 11:54:00 AM »
I've now proof that Mackenzie visited France around 1922, specifically Le Touquet. This in his own words from an article on greenkeeping published in the December 1922 issue of 'Golfing".

"I was recently at Le Touquet, and I was very much interested in observing how by these means they managed to preserve their greens during the six months of continual drought which they experienced in France last year. It was very much drier there than it was in England."

Incidentally, the means Mackenzie refers to is fine compost top dressing of greens.

It is known that Mackenzie visited France during WW1 but for other than golfing reasons, but this is the first evidence we have been able to find for him visiting France post war. Golfing holiday? Work?

Ally Mcintosh

Re: Mackenzie visits France - Le Touquet
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2009, 12:04:48 PM »
Excellent Neil...

Colt laid out La Mer at Le Touquet, didn't he?... Quite an enjoyable course... Some really good holes (Par-3 second was a cracker)... 1922 MacKenzie was working with him still, wasn't he?... Could he have been involved in the design?

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2009, 12:12:07 PM »
Scrap that thought... It must have been the La Foret course that MacKenzie was referring to... laid out in 1904 by Horace Hutchinson... La Mer was from 1931 by the sounds of things...

Neil_Crafter

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2009, 12:46:59 PM »
Ally
Mackenzie was still part of the Colt and Alison partnership in 1922 although it would seem to be on its last legs by then - if it ever had any legs that is. So it is possible Mac went to France for work, but he doesn't mention the purpose of his trip in this article, nor does he mention France in any of his other writings to my knowledge.

Colt & Co suggests Colt laid out the Forest course at Le Touquet in 1908 and with Alison, designed the Sea Course in 1930. Colt's St Germain course (near Paris) dates from 1922 according to Hawtree so its possible Mackenzie was over there to look at that as a proxy for Colt and spent some time at Le Touquet as well.

Sébastien Dhaussy

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2009, 02:23:23 PM »

"I was recently at Le Touquet, and I was very much interested in observing how by these means they managed to preserve their greens during the six months of continual drought which they experienced in France last year. It was very much drier there than it was in England."

1921 was indeed a year of drought in France (february to november).
"It's for everyone to choose his own path to glory - or perdition" Ben CRENSHAW

Sean_Tully

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2009, 12:05:55 PM »
Neil

Another interesting find! Figured that MacKenzie would have been there at some point when you consider how much he traveled throughout his career. Hope this stirs up some new info.

Is there any golf or sporting magazines that would cover golf in France for this period?

Tully

Mark Bourgeois

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2009, 12:52:16 PM »
Sean

The biblioteque nationale has an online database that includes newspapers. Not sure the timeframe covered. Perhaps I will have a chance to look into it. Better though if someone on the ground takes this up!

Mark

Neil_Crafter

« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2009, 01:48:52 PM »
Sebastien
Thanks for confirming the French drought of 1921 and this supports Mackenzie's information in that article, suggesting he visited after the drought was over in 1922.

Ally
A little birdie has told me that the Colt and Co information about Le Touquet is erroneous and that the course was laid out by Horace Hutchinson as you suggested. Apologies!

Tully and Mark
While I'm sure we all suspected travels to continental Europe by him, its nice to have it in his own words. personally I do not know of any golf mags in France but its possible I guess. How's your French?

Neil

Sébastien Dhaussy

« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2009, 02:59:38 PM »
Neil

Another interesting find! Figured that MacKenzie would have been there at some point when you consider how much he traveled throughout his career. Hope this stirs up some new info.

Is there any golf or sporting magazines that would cover golf in France for this period?

Tully

From what I know, the first golf magazine in France was "Tennis et Golf"  (1914) created by Marcel Daninos (uncle of french writer and journalist Pierre Daninos).

During the 20's, there is another golf magazine : "Le golf" (after that, "Le golf et le golfeur").

I will try to contact the Golf French Federation to see if they have any of these old magazines.

"It's for everyone to choose his own path to glory - or perdition" Ben CRENSHAW

Neil_Crafter

« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2009, 04:51:04 PM »
That would be excellent Sebastien.
There may be a wealth of information re the French work of Colt and Simpson lurking in those mags. Good luck!
Neil

Neil_Crafter

« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2009, 06:35:43 PM »
An anonymous source has sent me this information re the Colt course at Saint-Andre in France. This is the translation for Saint-Andre from 1925 Euro golf booklet.

"The golf course was designed by HS Colt in 1921. Its 18 holes are completely
finished, but the current clubhouse is only temporary. Two large valleys
surrounded by high dunes form the golf course, which holes are varied and
interesting. The grass is fine and dense and grows naturally on the
sandy ground. The greens are excellent.

Several known experts among others MM. Mackenzie, Alison, Abercrombie and
Major Guy Campbell predict the future could not be better for this golf
course, which will soon become one of the most beautiful seaside."

So it would seem that Mackenzie saw the Saint-Andre course, or perhaps assisted Colt in its design and construction. Interesting.

Neil_Crafter

« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2009, 07:30:03 PM »
My error.
Saint-Andre is indeed in Belgium, in the town of Coxyde.
So it would seem Mac visited Belgium and France in his continental travels.

The design of Saint-Andre by Colt is missed in both Cornish & Whitten, and Hawtree too. Hopefully the Colt scholars know about this one.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back