News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Dave Schmanke

12 Oaks Holly Springs North Carolina
« on: January 19, 2009, 06:14:21 PM »
Does anyone know the status of this course? I read last year that it would be opening and the public would be able to play it as well. Since then, I've driven by several times and the course looks great, but no flags on the greens and I've yet to see anyone playing on it. Also it looks like there is no work being done on the clubhouse. Thanks, Dave

John Moore II

Re: 12 Oaks Holly Springs North Carolina
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2009, 09:39:49 PM »
I thought it was open. Someone on the site here is a member there, I can't remember his name though. I have not played it, but I was thinking it was open for play.

Scott_Burroughs

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2009, 11:33:48 PM »
The course opened in July, I believe, but it's private.  The course is currently closed for several weeks while they do some changes to the course (I don't know what the changes are).  I hope to take up my invite some time this winter/spring.

The course is a Nicklaus group design.

http://www.12oaksnc.com/golf/index.php

hhuffines

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2009, 10:24:00 AM »
Its good to know they are open, looks like an interesting course from the website.  The Lonnie Poole course at NCSU opens later this spring.  Nice to have Triangle area course openings instead of closings.

Scott_Park

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2009, 10:59:47 AM »
Dave,

12 Oaks has had an interesting first year. The course opened to members in April of 2008, but has not opened to the public yet.  Latest word is that the course will allow outside play until the membership fills up at which time it will go private.  Certainly the current real estate market is affecting the overall project and the completion of the clubhouse.

Jack's son, Michael designed the course and did a very impressive job.  The course really shines from the tee with solid approaches and moderately contoured greens. Its not overly long at 7132 from the tips due to a couple of short par 4's and a reachable par 5. 

Scott

ChipRoyce

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2009, 04:20:47 PM »
Dave,

12 Oaks has had an interesting first year. The course opened to members in April of 2008, but has not opened to the public yet.  Latest word is that the course will allow outside play until the membership fills up at which time it will go private.  Certainly the current real estate market is affecting the overall project and the completion of the clubhouse.

Jack's son, Michael designed the course and did a very impressive job.  The course really shines from the tee with solid approaches and moderately contoured greens. Its not overly long at 7132 from the tips due to a couple of short par 4's and a reachable par 5. 

Scott

There are rumors that 12 Oaks is not doing great (not a surprise in the current economic climate) and that Dr. Jim Goodnight's (owner of SAS) real estate development company, Preston Development, had considered purchasing the development.

The rumor mill says that Preston passed on a deal - too bad as rumor mill lastly thought that 12 Oaks would be made available to Prestonwood CC members as an additional benefit of membership.

John Moore II

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2009, 07:59:47 PM »
Its good to know they are open, looks like an interesting course from the website.  The Lonnie Poole course at NCSU opens later this spring.  Nice to have Triangle area course openings instead of closings.

Well, given we've had 3 courses close in the past 5 years which were all mid-level public courses and the two to open are private or up-scale public, I am not sure we have experienced a net gain in the triangle region. Perhaps in quality, but not in the availability to the average golfer. That is my concern, we have plenty of courses available and even some new ones opening, but they all cater to the upper end of the market. Given the economic situation, affordable golf is needed.

I may try and make it over to 12 Oaks this week if they are presently open and the snow melts.

Dave Schmanke

« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2009, 08:46:57 AM »
John, if you make it over there, please make a post and let us know what is going on over there. I'd appreciate it. Hate to see a nice course like that go to waste. Thanks

John Moore II

« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2010, 05:11:41 PM »
Has there been anything announced about this course? Private, open to the public, whatever? It seems like it would be a good place to play next time I am in Raleigh, if its available. Any information?

Brian Freeman

« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2010, 10:06:15 PM »
John,

Check the link on Scott's post above, looks like the website has been updated since the last time I checked it.

12 Oaks is a really solid track.  Got to play here once late last year and would love to play again.  I just realized I probably should have put this on my Top 25 list but on the local RDU courses I don't think I would put it above Finley, Tobacco Road, or Wakefield.  Maybe closely behind those, definitely in the same league.

It's a big, strong golf course that if they want to make the greens firm and fast and tuck the pins, it can challenge anyone.  And it ranks highly on one of my key criteria - I only played it once and remember all the holes.

Only major knock against the place is it's very impractical to walk, especially in a summer like this one.  I think I would like it less after the housing community is fully developed.

Brian

John Moore II

« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2010, 10:13:21 PM »
Brian-You are making me not want to play there if it is not as good as Finley, TR or Wakefield, as only 2 of those are in my personal top 25.

I went to that website, but I was looking for more information, specifically if they were still completely private, as I had heard that they were going to possibly be open to the public until they could get enough members.

Bruce Wellmon

« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2010, 10:21:45 AM »
Does anyone have an update on 12 Oaks?

Scott_Park

« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2010, 10:42:39 AM »
Technically, the club is private but practically speaking, it functions as a semi-private course.  A call from your pro should be sufficient to secure a time.

My understanding is that the bank owns the course.  The golf shop has been finished as well as a pool and a couple of tennis courts.

Maintenance is still pretty good other than the driving range getting torn up and the greens getting marked up by all of the outside play.

Except for a 250 yd walk between holes 4 and 5 and a 200 yd walk between 11 & 12, the course is quite walkable.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back