News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ross Waldorf

Re: Attributes of a First Hole
« Reply #25 on: January 19, 2009, 03:37:59 PM »
Thanks, Lester. Just a curious question from a non-archie. Because I can see some of the plusses and minuses to par 5 openers based on my own experience. I think I like Mark Pearce's comment that the first hole should just be a good hole.

But for example, I play most of my golf these days at Rustic Canyon, which has a par 5 opener. I like it, because it doesn't test you too severely right out of the gate, but if you're making good swings you can go for it in two (rare for me, as a not-so-long hitter) or have a pretty short pitch to set up a birdie. It's definitely a good hole, so it fits that criterion. Rustic has three 5s on the front nine, so you get a couple more opportunities before the turn. However, if I'm not warmed up, or just making crappy swings, I might feel like it's a drag to get through a par 5 before I feel confident to take advantage of the opportunity.

Anyway, just thinking out loud . . .

Kalen Braley

« Reply #26 on: January 21, 2009, 12:14:04 PM »
Bill,

Your not alone in this. 

Indian Canyon in Spokane, WA in its original routing started off with two short par 5s and it was nightmare city in getting the round off to a fast start.  On the weekends it was not uncommon to be standing on 3 tee and your already 45 minutes into your round.

A few years ago they switched the 9s and its been much better.  Starts with a long 4, then a short par 3, and thirdly a mid range par 5. 

Mike Bowline

« Reply #27 on: January 21, 2009, 12:38:46 PM »
With the given that the first hole should fit the terrain, it should also allow groups of golfers to get off the tee, get into their round without holding up play of groups behind them, and preview the golf yet to come.

A par-3 I have found causes pace of play to lag off the first tee. If the first is a par 5, ideally it would not cause second shot decisions (go or no go) that would unduly delay second shots. Medium length par 4s seem to fit the bill quite nicely.

As you can read, I have a serious pace-of-play concern, and design should consider this factor.

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #28 on: January 21, 2009, 01:23:01 PM »
At Deal we have a 370yd straight par 4 over looked at 220yds by the clubhouse, out of bounds down the right, a small brook across the front of the green and a very large contoured putting surface. On the whole a steady if not overly challenging opening hole. Think 3 iron / 9 iron in a dry summer. Some actually describe the hole as poor.

Now look at the club, our major events are all singles or foursomes matchplay and the Halford Hewitt sees 64 teams of 10 playing matchplay foursomes with much support.

What is an ordinary opening hole now becomes a tiger of a 19th, avoid the OOBb off the tee and you or your partner is now level with a large balcony full of well lunched supporters discussing odds on clearing the water - always audible - and facing a shot where suddenly the green looks smaller and the water wider.

Great hole for our club but at a scorecard and pencil club a possibly disappointing opener.

Cave Nil Vino

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back