News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Matthew Mollica

Re: Article on Australia, MacKenzie by Lloyd Cole
« Reply #25 on: January 07, 2009, 04:13:02 PM »
I've already put in a vote for him to return to Australia, but he has to see the Mornington Peninsula, and Barnbougle.

MM
"The truth about golf courses has a slightly different expression for every golfer. Which of them, one might ask, is without the most definitive convictions concerning the merits or deficiencies of the links he plays over? Freedom of criticism is one of the last privileges he is likely to forgo."

Jeff_Mingay

« Reply #26 on: January 07, 2009, 04:15:47 PM »
I hope this doesn't burst any bubbles, but the truth is Lloyd worked exceptionally hard, over an exceptionally long period of time, to make it look this easy. Writers with such a memorable voice and distinct view of the world are incredibly rare, but the effort still has to be there, and Lloyd went above and beyond in that department. So congratulations are definitely in order.

The only question I have is: Where to next, Lloyd? Call me crazy, but I happen to think the south of France might be a nice choice. I liked the little circuit Alfonso Erhardt outlined in another thread: Chiberta, Biarritz, Hossegor, some fine wine, some good food, some light-hearted fun at the expense of the French.... What's not to like!

Tom,

It certainly would be an interesting regular feature, to have Lloyd file a piece such as his Melbourne one following every tour during which he played some of the world's great courses. Great idea.
jeffmingay.com

James Bennett

« Reply #27 on: January 07, 2009, 05:31:09 PM »
Actually I picked up the phrase "La La Land" from Ian Chappell on the cricket commentary the other day who used it to describe the batting performances of AB De Villiers since the Perth test. Just seemed an appropriate moniker for the Big V. As for Sydney James, perhaps Desolation Row might do, the Dylan fans will know what I mean.
Neil

One mention of the word 'Dylan' from you Neil, and I get flashbacks of duets with your co-singer William Page at ungodly hours in Melbourne 1978.  Once heard, never forgotten!

Lloyd Cole has little to fear from that duet.

James B
Bob; its impossible to explain some of the clutter that gets recalled from the attic between my ears. .  (SL Solow)

Bill_McBride

« Reply #28 on: January 07, 2009, 05:40:30 PM »
I always like to read the golf essays and travelogues of a non-golf industry player or writer, but one who has some noteriety in another field, be it sports or entertainment.  Just when you think you have a take on a public figure's persona due to their profession, you can get a much more interesting look at them expressing their feelings and observations of a subject for which you may share a similar passion.

Lloyd really does sound like a terrific golf buddy with a keen eye for the architecture, but also a keen eye for the folks surrounding a club. 

I also thought the opening Lola line was one of the best I've read in a while, despite being too dense or not hip enough to get it right on the first take.  Although I may have come close to the essence, my lack of knowledge of YAPCR is sadly lacking.  I thought it was in reference to the lyric:

Her name was Lola, she was a showgirl
With yellow feathers in her hair and a dress cut down to there
She would merengue and do the cha-cha
And while she tried to be a star, Tony always tended bar
Across a crowded floor, they worked from 8 till 4
They were young and they had each other
Who could ask for more?

But, of course some googling and it brought home the real essence of the witty opening hook:

Well I left home just a week before
And I'd never ever kissed a woman before
But Lola smiled and took me by the hand
And said dear boy I'm gonna make you a man

Well I'm not the world's most masculine man
But I know what I am and I'm glad I'm a man
And so is Lola
La-la-la-la Lola la-la-la-la Lola
Lola la-la-la-la Lola la-la-la-la Lola

All the more funny Mr. Cole...  ::) ;) ;D 8)

Uh Dick, er Mr. Daley, sir....I'm not sure but I think those are two different -- and I do mean "different" -- Lolas!  ;D

RichMacafee

« Reply #29 on: January 07, 2009, 07:21:35 PM »
I've already put in a vote for him to return to Australia, but he has to see the Mornington Peninsula, and Barnbougle.

MM

The cultural and culinary references for Bridport would certainly be worth the read Matt :)

Loved the article Lloyd, well done! Great to see Cooper's Red getting it's deserved recognition ;)
"The uglier a man's legs are, the better he plays golf. It's almost law" H.G.Wells.

ward peyronnin

« Reply #30 on: January 07, 2009, 10:12:00 PM »
I am thrilled for golf writing and Lloyd
"Golf is happiness. It's intoxication w/o the hangover; stimulation w/o the pills. It's price is high yet its rewards are richer. Some say its a boys pastime but it builds men. It cleanses the mind/rejuvenates the body. It is these things and many more for those of us who truly love it." M.Norman

ed_getka

« Reply #31 on: January 19, 2009, 02:37:01 PM »
Paging Lloyd. I can't find Lloyd's email, could someone please send it to me at edgetka@gmail.com. Thanks.
"Perimeter-weighted fairways", The best euphemism for containment mounding I've ever heard.

ed_getka

« Reply #32 on: January 19, 2009, 05:40:37 PM »
I have it now. Thanks guys.
"Perimeter-weighted fairways", The best euphemism for containment mounding I've ever heard.

ANTHONYPIOPPI

« Reply #33 on: January 20, 2009, 09:25:28 AM »
A fine job.

I wish I could play guitar as well as he writes.

Anthony

John Kirk

« Reply #34 on: January 20, 2009, 08:52:23 PM »
I finally got around to reading the whole thing.  The article has a very nice personal touch to it.  I liked it a lot.

Andrew Bertram

« Reply #35 on: January 21, 2009, 12:55:33 AM »
Lloyd

You played some other courses while in the sand belt. You did not get the chance to touch on these in the article, your thoughts please?

Thanks

Andrew

Lloyd_Cole

« Reply #36 on: January 21, 2009, 10:12:32 AM »
Andrew
I ate at many other restaurants also. It was quite tough to compress the experience into one piece.
The only course that I played (I walked Commonwealth) which isn't mentioned was Yarra Yarra which I found quite frustrating as I believe that there is a very good course there but the trees have been allowed, maybe encouraged even, to dominate the course, and they do not help, in my opinion. One tee shot in particular felt like playing indoors. Still it is a good course, and I was frustrated not to be able to mention the 11th in the piece - I loved the story of Thomson vs Snead there.

Anthony Butler

« Reply #37 on: January 21, 2009, 10:47:18 AM »
A fine job.

I wish I could play guitar as well as he writes.

Anthony

Or write as well as he plays guitar.
Next!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back