News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Rob Rigg

What are the Best Walking Courses in America?
« on: January 18, 2009, 06:55:10 PM »
We often talk about how many on the site would rather walk than take a part for a myriad of reasons.

I would be very interested to hear what courses the treehouse thinks are the "best walking courses in America"?

If you really enjoy walking, what courses in each state would you advise a fellow walker to visit if possible (public and private are both okay).

Walking Only is a definite bonus, but not a necessity.

For example, I think Pumpkin Ridge - Ghost Creek is a solid walking course. There are carts, but the terrain is not overwhelming and it is a good test of skill. 8 out of 10 for total walking experience IMO.

I also really enjoy Summit in Toronto, which is a pretty tough walking course but most members (at least when I was there) still walked. I think the scenery and challenge make up for any extra strain. Probably 7 out of 10 for walking experience IMO.

Tetherow on the other hand, not a great walking course although I did walk it (aside from getting a lift on some of the really really long green to tee transfers). The 9 mile walk with some fairly significant elevation change would probably have to make it a 5 out of 10 for walking experience IMO. It would be a 2 or 3 but the aesthetics and challenge add a lot to the long trek.

The Bandon Resort would have to be a 10 - the ultimate walking experience (BT might be an 8 because I see a lot of whining about walking that one).

Jed Peters

Re: What are the Best Walking Courses in America?
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2009, 07:08:58 PM »
SFGC is probably the best walking course (and best routing) that I've played.

Andy Troeger

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2009, 07:20:33 PM »
I would assume that pretty much every great classic course qualifies--there wasn't much option but to make for good walking courses!

And really if you look at it most of the courses that are really high on the modern list are pretty walkable too.

But it sure seems like most golfers have become so conditioned to riding that unless there's a walking only policy it tends to be an afterthought. Municipal courses from my experience might have a higher percentage of walkers than just about anywhere else.

J_ Crisham

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2009, 07:26:02 PM »
In Wisconsin, I enjoyed walking and carrying at Lawsonia links.
In IL too many courses come to mind-probably not any that I wouldn't enjoy walking with the exception of Weaver  Ridge in Peoria.
                                                                Jack

PCCraig

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2009, 07:26:39 PM »
I remember thinking that Pine Needles was a great walking course...1 because all the tees are close to the greens, and 2 because it is such a nice place to take a walk on some rolling ground.

Also, Shoreacres is just about as nice of a walk as there is anywhere.
H.P.S.

Sam Morrow

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2009, 07:32:22 PM »
In Texas Colonial and Austin Golf Club are both great walking courses. In Oklahoma Southern Hills is a very pleasant walk, except for in August.

Stephen Britton

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2009, 08:05:23 PM »
Robert Trent Jones Golf Club in Gainesville, VA.

No long walks from tee to green except from 8 green to 9 tee which is a beautiful walk through an Augusta National style bed of Azaleas and Rhododendrons. Not too hilly but nice rolling terrain with amazing views of lake Manassas. Also has a fantastic caddy program..
"The chief object of every golf architect or greenkeeper worth his salt is to imitate the beauties of nature so closely as to make his work indistinguishable from nature itself" Alister MacKenzie...

Bill_McBride

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2009, 08:07:15 PM »
Robert Trent Jones Golf Club in Gainesville, VA.

No long walks from tee to green except from 8 green to 9 tee which is a beautiful walk through an Augusta National style bed of Azaleas and Rhododendrons. Not too hilly but nice rolling terrain with amazing views of lake Manassas. Also has a fantastic caddy program..

Stephen, do they still have the four-bagger carts with one caddie, or is now a carrying caddie program?  I didn't care much for those four baggers when the club opened so my two member buddies and I usually carried our own.  It is a good walk and fun to play.

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2009, 08:07:53 PM »
Applebrook, GCGC, Hidden Creek, Seminole and NGLA come to mind.

Stephen Britton

« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2009, 08:26:31 PM »
Bill,

You can still get a "four caddy" if you like although most walk with their own caddy. Pretty sure it's club policy to play with a caddy.

I don't mind the four caddy, everytime I played with a four caddy they really hustle and do a good job. Also a good situation for the caddy because he usually makes out like a bandit getting tips from four guys.
"The chief object of every golf architect or greenkeeper worth his salt is to imitate the beauties of nature so closely as to make his work indistinguishable from nature itself" Alister MacKenzie...

PThomas

« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2009, 08:46:52 PM »
CPC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

Jim Thornton

« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2009, 08:48:11 PM »
I'll second Patrick Mucci on Hidden Creek.  The proximity of tees and green make it a very easy walk.  Playing by myself (with a caddy), I've done 18 holes walking in 2 hours several times.

Other great walking courses: Myopia Hunt, Newport, Merion

Hardest walking course I've played in the past few years: Bayonne - you've got to be part goat to walk climb up to some of those tees and there are a few holes where you have to walk backwards to get from a green to the next tee.

Jim

JNC Lyon

« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2009, 08:53:29 PM »
West Course, Oak Hill Country Club, Rochester, NY.  Great routing, terrain is rolling, with enough steepness to force some exertion but not enough discourage walking.  Green to tee distance maxes out at 30 yards.

Monroe Golf Club in Rochester, NY is also a fantastic walk.
"That's why Oscar can't see that!" - Philip E. "Timmy" Thomas

Garland Bayley

« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2009, 09:51:18 PM »
Tetherow on the other hand, not a great walking course although I did walk it (aside from getting a lift on some of the really really long green to tee transfers). The 9 mile walk with some fairly significant elevation change would probably have to make it a 5 out of 10 for walking experience IMO. It would be a 2 or 3 but the aesthetics and challenge add a lot to the long trek.

So they gave you that 9 mile BS too. I'm surprised you didn't see through it! What a bunch of jerks at that course. You call them up and they tell you they encourage walking. When you arrive they do everything they can think of to try to get you in a cart including a bunch of BS about it being a 9 mile walk. Well I tell you what. If it is a 9 mile walk then it is a big fat 0 as a walking course. Since it is well under 9 miles, I'll let you get away with call it as high as a 2 or 3.
Note: it is the same person on the phone telling me they encourage walking as it was in the pro shop giving us the 9 mile BS.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Jimmy Muratt

« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2009, 10:31:20 PM »
Mountain Lake
Old Sandwich
Chechessee Creek

Sam Maryland

« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2009, 11:52:56 PM »
all the Bethpage courses are great walking courses.  Green and Black will challenge you, but both are a great walk.

next tee close to last green -- makes for a great walk.

the list is endless...
« Last Edit: January 19, 2009, 10:06:51 AM by Sam Maryland »

C. Squier

« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2009, 12:03:48 AM »
Garden City is a pretty easy stroll in the park. 

Peter Ferlicca

« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2009, 12:11:55 AM »
Riviera Country Club  is a fantastic walk with the cool ocean breeze usually coming in the afternoon.  All green to tee walks are close and the only uphill walk is hole 18 heading up to the clubhouse.

Mark Smolens

« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2009, 12:16:49 AM »
We-Ko-Pa Saguaro, where walking is much preferable to cart paths only, is one of the few places where walking is encouraged in the Valley.  I actually was able to get a caddy at the TPC Champions on Thursday afternoon -- slow going for the caddies across the street.  Apache Stronghold is I suppose walkable, and the shortcuts do help (so long as you've got fellow playing partners to point them out), but that's a very tough hill from 13 to 14 -- makes for a difficult tee shot to a brutal back left pin.  I was a pretty tired camper after a fine afternoon with some gca cohorts on Saturday.

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2009, 12:47:41 AM »
Are we looking for the easiest walks or the best course to walk? 
My favorite walks are Ballybunion, Royal County Down, Sunningdale (both), The European Club, Merion, CPC, and my club, Four Streams outside DC is a great walk with a good caddy.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2009, 12:50:16 AM by Tommy Williamsen »
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Rob Rigg

« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2009, 03:39:06 AM »
Tommy - I was thinking - The Best Courses in America that are an enjoyable/comfortable walk.

I loved Lahinch, Ballybunion was a bit more of a trek but also a grand walk indeed.

Garland - Tetherow might only be an eight mile walk :)

Some of the holes are not bad, although the lack of a "walking path" really ticked me off. ie) You have to walk along the cart paths which are often a bit out of the way and by no means direct on many holes.

The killers at Tetherow are - 2nd Green to 3rd Tee - aka - the voyage to Kidd Corner (300ish yards over a bridge), 6th Green to 7th Tee - aka - the voyage back from Kidd Corner (250ish yards), 9th Green to 10th Tee (250 yards), 12th Green to 13th Tee (200 yards), 13th Green to 14th Tee (200 yards), 15th Green to 16th Tee, (200 yards), 18th Green to Clubhouse (1/2 mile or so).

I will readily admit that I really enjoy the course, I love it in Bend, the views are spectacular, the ground is F&F and the layout can be kind of crazy, so my 5 out of 10 walking rating is totally biased.

Stephen Britton

« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2009, 05:11:44 AM »
Old Memorial in Tampa, FL.

Flat, tees and f/ways close together and also has a good caddy program.

Andy Silis

« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2009, 07:17:16 AM »
Courses recently played:

Black Sheep Golf Club
San Antonio CC
East Hampton
Garden City Mens
Del Paso CC
SFGC
CC of Fairfield
The Everglades Club

Matt Bosela

« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2009, 09:29:00 AM »
I'll second the vote on Riviera, even with the tough walk up 18 and tougher walk up to the clubhouse.  However, the routing is incredible - you can get from one side of the course to the other in a little over five minutes and I imagine it's a pleasure navigating the grounds during LA Open/Northern Trust Open week.  It's a pretty flat piece of land but it doesn't FEEL that way when you're playing.

I'll also throw a vote in for Oakmont.  When I played out there a year and a half ago, I remember overhearing a conversation between a couple of older gents in the locker room after their round.

One guy asked his friend the last time he walked a golf course before today and the reply stuck with me.

"Well, I'd say it's been about 25 years and I loved every minute of it!"

Words to live by...

George Freeman

« Reply #24 on: January 19, 2009, 10:02:54 AM »
Franklin Hills in Metro Detroit is a great walk.

Oakmont

Kingsley Club & Crystal Downs (Both front nines are probably the best walks I've played.  Back nines are a hair tougher, but still great walks)

Pacific Dunes
Mayhugh is my hero!!

"I love creating great golf courses.  I love shaping earth...it's a canvas." - Donald J. Trump

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back