News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Bill_McBride

Re: Rounds per year at the Old Course?
« Reply #25 on: January 14, 2009, 08:20:24 PM »
The cemetery within the grounds of the ancient, ruined cathedral is a nice place to visit for some quiet time during a trip to St Andrews.  The graves of Old Tom and Young Tom Morris are near each other, and old Alan Robertson is not far away.

Alan Robertson can be heard still muttering about Old Tom playing a gutty rather than the featheries that Robertson made in his shop.  Seen playing out on the Old Course by Robertson, OTM was fired on the spot for his disloyalty.  At least that's the old legend.

mike_beene

« Reply #26 on: January 14, 2009, 11:15:08 PM »
Melvyn, things I love about St Andrews include standing around 18 and just looking,going in the golf shops, and on every trip at some point in the middle of the night I go walk in The Valley of Sin,think of those who have been through and those that will come and look at the glow of the barely hidden sun to the north. This all sounds overly dramatic but the place is magical to me.I can't imagine what it feels like to you. Mike

Scott Whitley

« Reply #27 on: January 15, 2009, 10:58:53 AM »
The cemetery within the grounds of the ancient, ruined cathedral is a nice place to visit for some quiet time during a trip to St Andrews.  The graves of Old Tom and Young Tom Morris are near each other, and old Alan Robertson is not far away.

Alan Robertson can be heard still muttering about Old Tom playing a gutty rather than the featheries that Robertson made in his shop.  Seen playing out on the Old Course by Robertson, OTM was fired on the spot for his disloyalty.  At least that's the old legend.

Very true but I was quite disappointed to be shooed away by an officious attendant when I tried to visit last May at a very reasonable (I thought) 4:55 p.m.  Unfortunately it is all behind locked gates and quiet twilight contemplation is no longer an option.

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #28 on: January 15, 2009, 11:27:27 AM »
Scott

Just for you

Sorry my photo of Allan's grave is poor so have not downloaded it.

Melvyn
« Last Edit: January 15, 2009, 11:36:01 AM by Melvyn Morrow »

Andrew Brown

« Reply #29 on: January 15, 2009, 02:53:55 PM »
Melvyn:

You know that I love walking/carrying golf and hate slow play.

I do have one question basically concerning St. Andrews and maybe a couple other courses (Pebble Beach?).  Is the length of a round at these special courses due to the fact that maybe a golfer is experiencing that 'once in a lifetime' round on a classic great top 5 course?  Could the desire to soak the experience in and wish it never ended slow down play somewhat at TOC, Pebble and other venues?  I know you can't speak to Pebble Beach, but maybe to TOC.

John,

Of course I can't answer for Melvyn, but from my one (so far) and only (so far) round on the TOC last June, we played in 4.10. 1.50 for the front nine, 15 minutes waiting on 10 tee, a hurry up from a marshall on 14 tee. We were back in position quickly, and then had a long wait on 17 tee, a long wait on 18 tee and then the photos on the bridge over Swilcan Burn...

Of course there was an element of 'rubbernecking' and soaking up the experience.

I hope the only delay I caused (apart from photos on the bridge) were having to take out my handkerchief to blow my nose and wipe away brimming tears walking (as in a dream) along the 17th and 18th holes.

Truly the only time I believe I may ever cry on a golf course....but also because I was touched seeing my wife (who organised the round as a birthday gift without my knowledge) and two young daughters wait for me and wave to me from beside the 18th green....

Magic....it truly exists at St Andrews....

Regards
Andrew

Gary Slatter

« Reply #30 on: January 15, 2009, 03:03:25 PM »
Does anyone know if the Old Course stops tee times as it gets later in the day when 18 holes rounds are not possible?  Are folks allowed to tee off with sufficient light for only an hour or so?  Just wondering if they try and protect the front nine from receiving more wear and tear than the back from such situations. 
the times after regular play are called "DARK" and officially no one plays during this period.  Unofficially a lot of students, caddies, and other local links ticket holders seem to play a few during this time period, more so during the off season months.  I have had the last tee time several times and there has always been players following.  On Christmas Day the Old Course is free, no starter and no rangers. About 70 played including myself.  Most were regulars with family members who normally would not play due to no handicap.
Gary Slatter
gary.slatter@raffles.com

Scott Macpherson

« Reply #31 on: January 17, 2009, 10:41:39 PM »
Jeff,

The answer is about 43,000 rounds per year.

scott

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back