News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Bob_Huntley

Reverse TOC Rounds
« on: January 16, 2009, 08:51:48 PM »
I received this from the R&A today.

Old Course Reverse Play, April 2009

The Old Course will be played in reverse on Friday 3, Saturday 4 and Monday 6 April 2009.

The ballot for Saturday 4 April morning local times (0800 - 1000) will be drawn by
the St Andrews Links Trust well in advance, on Friday 20 February, to give local
golf club members the opportunity of guaranteeing their golf early enough to make arrangements.

Who is applying?

Bob

Carlyle Rood

Re: Reverse TOC Rounds
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2009, 09:39:57 PM »
Wow!  How unique would that be?

C

P.S.  How do you play the 18th backwards?
« Last Edit: January 16, 2009, 09:42:23 PM by Carlyle Rood »

James Bennett

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2009, 09:48:18 PM »
Carlyle

from the 2nd tee.  Just as #9 green in reverse is from #11 tee.

A round on TOC followed by a round on TOC reverse must be the quickest way to understand some of the magic of TOC.  This unique course is playable from both directions, which says something unique for the greens and surrounds compexes, and the bunkering throughout the course.

James B
Bob; its impossible to explain some of the clutter that gets recalled from the attic between my ears. .  (SL Solow)

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2009, 10:32:53 PM »
Carl,
This "In My Opinion" piece will guide you around. http://www.golfclubatlas.com/opinionglenn3.html

A number of GCAers went there two (three) years ago and had a great time, and great weather. The reverse course may be +4 on Standard Scratch over the regular route.
You also play the New. The international sign-up period may already be done. Check the Links Trust site for contact info.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2009, 10:42:28 PM »
I went over in March 2007 with John Krystynak and had a great time.  James Bennett was there from Australia, hometown favorite Martin FBD Bonnar was there, Portland's Peter Pittock, Matt and Shane Sullivan from China.  It was a terrific experience.  The reverse TOC must be played to fully appreciate the nuances of the Old Course.  After all, the course was played in both directions for many years.

I would say the two most frightening shots were (1) the approach to #1 Reverse (18th fairway to 17th green  :o ) and Reverse #7 (?) - 12th fairway to 11th green from 13th tee.  That last shot was played into a strong wind over Hill Bunker onto a green sloping away from you and left to right, the Eden green.  Also, you could see the fairway bunkers in the 12th fairway!

*** If I overlooked any one else who was part of those fun festivities, sorry.  The memory is the second thing that goes........ ;)
« Last Edit: January 16, 2009, 10:44:11 PM by Bill_McBride »

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2009, 11:54:12 PM »
Carlyle,
Here is the link to apply for play.
http://www.standrews.org.uk/golf/book_golf/Old_Reverse09.html

When we went two years ago North Berwick, Muirfield, a Renaissance tour by Doak and dinner at Duck's in Aberfeldy(?) were on the 'official' itinerary.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back