News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Bryan Izatt

Ian Andrew gets a new project
« on: January 15, 2009, 03:42:38 AM »
Just received the mid-winter report form my home course, St Andrew's Valley in Aurora, ON.  Buried in the middle was the following statement:

"We will continue with tee deck and bunker reconstruction under the supervision of leading golf course architect Ian Andrews (sic)."

I'm very happy to hear that, since the bunkers were a bit of a sore point with the members.

So, inquiring minds, at least mine, want to know whether this "reconstruction" will be a restoration to the original Muylaert style, or a renovation to some other style, or just reconstruction in a physical sense.  Certainly the bunkers needed work, particularly in drainage, sand depth and sand consistency, but they have also been modified considerably over the years from their original style.  I, for one would like to see them returned to their original style, although being a quasi-public course I could see why ownership might not want to do that.

Now, the bad news is that they've raised the membership fees in these hard economic times, although I'm sure we can't blame that all on Ian's fees.  ;)  Their business model is that since they are not encumbered with excessive operating costs related to a large clubhouse, they can keep the daily player fee relatively low and attract more players coming down from more expensive CCFAD's and private clubs.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2009, 11:57:43 AM by Bryan Izatt »

Ronald Montesano

Re: Ian Andrew gets a new job
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2009, 05:45:31 AM »
Jeez, I didn't know that Muylaert had a style!  If you're lucky, they'll do what they did at Cherry Hill in Ridgeway.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Gary Slatter

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2009, 06:58:56 AM »
I think St Andrews Valley was more Bill McWilliams style than Muylaert bros.  They did some fine work, Chingouscy (sorry about spelling) used to be fun.  Ian Andrew will certainly improve any course.
Gary Slatter
gary.slatter@raffles.com

Brian Phillips

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2009, 07:01:33 AM »
Bryan,

Could you please change the title to "...gets a new project".

At the moment it looks like he has got a new job...ie with another comapny..  ;-)
Bunkers, if they be good bunkers, and bunkers of strong character, refuse to be disregarded, and insist on asserting themselves; they do not mind being avoided, but they decline to be ignored - John Low Concerning Golf

Matt Bosela

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2009, 09:56:24 AM »
Heh...I thought this was about something else :D

Lots of rumours up here about Ian and a possible new business partnership...

Garland Bayley

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2009, 10:29:12 AM »
Yea Bryan, we want the big news. Not how many ponds Ian is going to construct on your home course.  ;D
« Last Edit: January 15, 2009, 11:06:55 AM by Garland Bayley »
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Paul Stephenson

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2009, 11:05:02 AM »
Oh there are a few there already  ;D

When I saw St. Andrew's Valley I was hoping he was going to fix #9.

Bryan Izatt

Re: Ian Andrew gets a new project
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2009, 12:07:44 PM »
Ronald,

Muylaert may not have been in the upper echelons of architects appreciated around here, but some of his courses are pretty good.  I take it that there are others that you find wanting.

Brian/Matt,

Title changed.  But, if you're referring to the Ian/Mike Weir job, wasn't that outed by Lorne Rubenstein in the Globe last Saturday?

Garland,

We have enough ponds (and rivers) already, being located on a flood plain.  Thanks for your concern.  See above for the big news.

Paul,

I guess you're one of the many who don't appreciate the strategic aspects of #9   ::)  It can be a round killer, but if you play it as target golf and don't try and overpower it, it's not a bad hole.  Now, if I could only take my own advice.  ???

Garland Bayley

« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2009, 12:14:39 PM »
Any link available to the big news? I wasn't able to google anything.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Paul Stephenson

« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2009, 12:24:46 PM »
Agreed Brian.

But the day that big tree falls down is the day it very well may become a bad hole.

Or a good par 4???  ;D

Bryan Izatt

« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2009, 12:43:06 PM »
Garland,

Here's a link.  It's in the Jan 10 article, near the end.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/LAC.20090110.RUBE10/TPStory/?query=rubenstein

Paul,

Agreed, the tree makes the hole, although I have seen some god players (RH) hit a draw over the trees on the corner and then a fade around the big tree to reach the green.  Perhaps we could get Ian to piss on the tree like he did to one at Osprey in an attempt to kill it.  ;D The tree, being oak, must be worth a fortune as lumber.

It'd be an interesting par 4 if they moved the green up about 50 yards and a little left, but then it'd have to be built up some because that area floods in heay rains.

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2009, 02:05:30 PM »
Ronald,

Muylaert may not have been in the upper echelons of architects appreciated around here, but some of his courses are pretty good.  I take it that there are others that you find wanting.

I'm familiar with Peninsula Lakes near St. Kits, an enjoyable amalgamation of common holes.  27 holes forced into a quarry that can hardly hold them.  I believe the three nines top out around 3300 yards each.  The par fives have a certain enviable extension to them, but the fours are all brief and cramped and the threes are a mixed bag.  When you used the word "style," it caught my attention as being the absent thing at Pen Lakes.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Ian Andrew

« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2009, 05:41:07 PM »
Bryan,

I'm working with St. Andrew's East - the private course - but not St. Andrew's valley.

Matt,

Me too - I was curious... ;D

Robert Thompson

« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2009, 07:57:41 PM »
At least Lorne spelled Ian's surname correctly.  :D

Wouldn't a better title for this be -- Andrew Rumored to Work with Former Masters Champ, And to Renovate Quiet Public Course Near Ballantrae
« Last Edit: January 15, 2009, 07:59:18 PM by Robert Thompson »
Terrorizing Toronto Since 1997

Read me at Canadiangolfer.com

Jeff_Mingay

« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2009, 08:27:42 PM »
Rob,

You should know better. It's "Masters Winner", not "Masters Champ".

The event has to be a "Championship" to declare a "Champion". The Masters is a "Tournament", not a "Championship"  ;D

And, speaking of Ballantrae, I've heard some of the best pond work in Canada is found there  ;)
« Last Edit: January 15, 2009, 08:29:14 PM by Jeff_Mingay »
jeffmingay.com

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2009, 09:43:04 PM »
Ballantrae?  You don't mean Maples of Ballantrae, do you?
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Jeff_Mingay

« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2009, 09:47:11 PM »
Rob (and Ian),

There's been so much talk about Ballantrae over the years (and, I've never been there), it could be a perfect course for a Golf Club Atlas outing... seriously  :)

Set it up. I'll be there.
jeffmingay.com

Bryan Izatt

« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2009, 12:00:20 AM »
Ian,

Now, I'm perplexed.  The letter was from the GM and part owner of the Valley - David Nesbitt, and it says, as quoted above, that you would be supervising reconstruction of the bunkers at the Valley.  Perhaps you have another project and just don't know it yet.  Or perhaps your supervision is going to be from a few kilometers to the east? ;)  Anyway, I sure hope it's true that you'll be doing the Valley too.

I have played Ballantrae, both original and with the wonderful new pond work, and would be happy to join in an outing there (when it's a whole lot warmer).  We could debate if the greens were inspired by Ross, or if 17 is really a Redan, and ......

Ian Andrew

« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2009, 12:01:29 AM »
You guys are killing me.

Ronald,

No they don't - it's the other course a little further north.

Bryan,

I did not do the changes or new pond - although that was still by Carrick Design
« Last Edit: January 16, 2009, 12:03:35 AM by Ian Andrew »

Ian Andrew

« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2009, 12:06:58 AM »
I've been trying to keep this out of the press - but yes I have committed to a new company.....

Bryan Izatt

« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2009, 12:18:15 AM »
Yeah, I knew you didn't do the changes and the pond work.  I was being facetious.  At least they reused one of the two green sites (and a fun green site it is).  You really need to get on with these new (rumoured) jobs and projects - you obviously have way too much time on your hands to do such clever photoshopping.

Robert Thompson

« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2009, 07:59:09 AM »
Rob,

You should know better. It's "Masters Winner", not "Masters Champ".

The event has to be a "Championship" to declare a "Champion". The Masters is a "Tournament", not a "Championship"  ;D

And, speaking of Ballantrae, I've heard some of the best pond work in Canada is found there  ;)

Well who knew Larry Mize was going into the course design business -- and in partnership with Sandy Lyle and Ian Andrew to boot!
Terrorizing Toronto Since 1997

Read me at Canadiangolfer.com

Peter Pallotta

Re: Ian Andrew gets a new project New
« Reply #22 on: January 16, 2009, 04:24:24 PM »
Bryan - I never thought I'd see Rene Muylaert's name on this site, but I'm glad you put it up here. Besides St. Andrew's Valley, which I enjoy very much, I've played several of Muylaert's courses and have developed a fondess for his (usually) good and (almost always) relatively-inexpensive lay outs. There's one near my house now that I played this summer - he didn't have a lot work with (I think the site was some pretty flat farmland) but it is a good and simple design that could be played by all.  Say what you will, but those kind of courses give a lot of pleasure to a lot of people  - so, thank you Mr. Muylaert!

Ian - if it's not too early, congratulations!

Peter
« Last Edit: January 16, 2009, 04:46:55 PM by Peter Pallotta »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back