News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

David Schofield

Looking for a Book - TOC
« on: January 11, 2009, 10:32:05 AM »
I have a vague recollection of Golf Digest printing an excerpt from an upcoming book about the history of The Old Course.  I recall searching for the book at that time but finding that it hadn't been released yet. 

The book just came to mind when reading the "How Many Rounds..." thread from a few days back.  Of course, I can't recall the title or author.  Anyone recall the book?

ed_getka

Re: Looking for a Book - TOC
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2009, 10:55:55 AM »
You may be referring to the Scott Macpherson book. An excellent book from what I saw in my friend's copy. Not so much a history as the course evolution itself.
"Perimeter-weighted fairways", The best euphemism for containment mounding I've ever heard.

Dan King

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2009, 10:59:26 AM »
You might be thinking of Tom Jarret's St Andrews Golf Links: Six Centuries of Golf, scheduled to be released in May. I'm guessing it is a re-release of his earlier St. Andrews Golf Links: The First 600 Years.  I have an autographed copy of St. Andrews Golf Links: The First 600 Years and it is an excellent history of the course. Both books have forwards by Tom Watson, so my guess is they are the same book. The earlier book was 192 pages and the new book is listed as 240 pages.

Cheers,
Dan King
St. Andrews? I feel like I'm back visiting an old grandmother. She's crotchety and eccentric but also elegant. Anyone who doesn't fall in love with her has no imagination.
  --Tony Lema

« Last Edit: January 11, 2009, 11:05:35 AM by Dan King »

Bill_McBride

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2009, 11:06:14 AM »
"St Andrews: The Evolution of the Old Course"
Scott MacPherson, with foreword by Peter Thomson
Hazard Press

I don't see it on Amazon.com.   It is amazing in the detail of the changes to the Old Course over the years.  

Scott Macpherson

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2009, 12:18:07 PM »
Bill, Ed,

Thanks for the nice comments on my book.

David,

If it is my book you would like to order, may I suggest you visit our website. The link is;

http://tmgolfdesign.com/books.html

scott

Bill_McBride

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2009, 02:18:18 PM »
Bill, Ed,

Thanks for the nice comments on my book.

David,

If it is my book you would like to order, may I suggest you visit our website. The link is;

http://tmgolfdesign.com/books.html

scott
That's where I bought my copy, which Scott was nice enough to autograph.  It is an important book if you love the Old Course.

I don't know about others, but I loved the Old Course long before I finally got there six years ago at age 60.  I had studied books and maps (the Mackenzie) for years, and the caddies were amazed that I knew the names of all the bunkers.   It is truly an amazing place to play golf and experience Scotland.

Dan King

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2009, 03:12:22 PM »
Scott, shockingly enough I don't have your book. Looks like something I'll have to order. Are you familiar with the Jarret book? The two books sound very similar.

Cheers,
Dan King
Whenever I look down the docile first fairway, I always think of those historical figures of golf and how they played their first drove down the Burn.
 --Tom Watson (on playing the Old Course)

ed_getka

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2009, 04:39:34 PM »
Dan,
   I don't know anything about the Jarrett book but I am quite sure that it will not come even close to the scholarship that went into Scott's book. If you are fond of TOC it is a very interesting book to peruse.
"Perimeter-weighted fairways", The best euphemism for containment mounding I've ever heard.

Scott Macpherson

« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2009, 11:55:49 PM »
Dan,

I am familiar with Tom Jarret's book. He did a very nice job. It's a good general history of St Andrews and TOC. From memory, I think his book has a small section on the changes to TOC. Mine is a more specific and in depth look at how TOC changed physically, when and why (with lost of pictures, plans and photos). I do not consider myself an 'author'. My book was a personal research project that I was badgered into publishing. For people who like details, and TOC, it seems to have hit the spot.

Thanks again to all those people who have bought it. Most copies have been sold.

scott

Gary Slatter

« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2009, 10:59:00 AM »
Scott's book is perfect, a great reference book.
OT: picked up 1976 copy of GCA for £3.00 the other day. Oxfam Shop.
Gary Slatter
gary.slatter@raffles.com

Brian Phillips

« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2009, 12:15:23 PM »
I do not know of a better book about TOC than Scott's book.  Every student of the profession should own one.

The best book about playing TOC is Muirhead and Tip Andersen's book.

Brian
Bunkers, if they be good bunkers, and bunkers of strong character, refuse to be disregarded, and insist on asserting themselves; they do not mind being avoided, but they decline to be ignored - John Low Concerning Golf

Bill_McBride

« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2009, 12:35:49 PM »
I do not know of a better book about TOC than Scott's book.  Every student of the profession should own one.

Brian

That is a fun book, Brian.  Desmond shows his droll sense of humor and Tip is quite the character.

One of my first golf architecture books features TOC.  It's "Sandy Lyle Takes You Around the Golf Courses of the British Open."  The large format, almost coffee table size, and the great courses pictured and described hole by hole, make this an enjoyable book to browse.

BCrosby

« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2009, 05:17:42 PM »

Absolutely. A wonderful book. Muirhead was a terrific writer and had a good eye for architecture. Or maybe he just loved TOC. A book everyone should have. It's a little hard to find these days.

Scott's book, for different reasons, is also a must have.

Bob

ed_getka

« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2009, 11:01:23 PM »
I was disappointed in the Muirhead book, I was expecting more out of it. I preferred the Sandy Lyle book.

Andrew Mitchell

« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2009, 05:55:55 AM »

Absolutely. A wonderful book. Muirhead was a terrific writer and had a good eye for architecture. Or maybe he just loved TOC. A book everyone should have. It's a little hard to find these days.

Scott's book, for different reasons, is also a must have.

Bob

Bob
Agreed the Muirhead book is a great read and certainly the best guide I've read on how to actually play TOC.  A worthwhile buy for anyone planning a trip there.

I picked up a copy relatively cheaply on ebay a couple of years ago.
2014 to date: not actually played anywhere yet!
Still to come: Hollins Hall; Ripon City; Shipley; Perranporth; St Enodoc

BCrosby

« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2009, 02:14:01 PM »
I was disappointed in the Muirhead book, I was expecting more out of it. I preferred the Sandy Lyle book.

Ed -

Lyle's book is very good too. (BTW, he did a number of similar pieces on the Open rota courses which are also very good.)

But the humor, style and contrast of Muirhead and Anderson playing off each other are a special delight, imho.

I first bought the Muirhead book when I was fishing for quotations for a golf calendar I was working on. It turned out to be a jackpot of great stuff.

Bob

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back