News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jim Nugent

Re: 89% average on putts under 10 feet....WOW...
« Reply #25 on: January 14, 2009, 02:32:28 PM »
My guess is that that stat is more a measure of good chipping.  The last time I saw the stats, tour pros were about 99% from 3 feet and 50% from 6 feet.  This means that very small marginal improvements in chipping can really drive down their (and our) scores and putting statistics. 

I was thinking it may be a measure of good ball striking.  When you hit more greens, you putt more.  That means you get your ball closer to the cup, on average, than when you chip or play from the sand.  Instead of those pesky 5 to 10 footers, you get more 1 to 3 footers.

I'm pretty sure GIR at Kapalua are among the highest on tour.  The great-looking 10 foot and under putting stats may be an artifact of that. 

Paul OConnor

« Reply #26 on: January 14, 2009, 04:58:59 PM »
I love these stats.  But what it means to me is this: 
If I played 100 rounds a year and averaged 80, I had 8000 shots.
For putts in the 0-3 ft range, I probably missed on average 1 every other round, low estimate, but that's 50 shots over the course of a year.  If I made all those, my shot total drops to 7950.
For putts in the 3-5 ft range, I probably missed at least 2 every round, that's 200 shots over the course of a year.  If I made half those, that's another 100 shots, my shot total drops to 7850.
For putts in the 5-10 ft range, I probably missed at least 4 every round, that's 400 shots over the course of a year.  If I just made a quarter of those, that's another 100 shots, my shot total drops to 7750.
For putts in the 10-20 ft range, I probably missed at least 5 every round, that's 500 shots over the course of a year.  If I just made a quarter of those, that's another 125 shots, my shot total drops to 7625.
Just with this small change, my handicap would drop at least 4 points. 
And that's still hitting the ball as crappy as I always have from tee to green.  Forget the driving range, I should spend every waking moment on the practice putting green.  Eureka!!!

Jason McNamara

« Reply #27 on: January 14, 2009, 07:57:01 PM »
But a number the really strikes me, the average putts per round has not gone down that much since 1980. The PGA Tour website has stats back that far. The leader in putts per round last year had 27.92 ppr. In 1980 the leader had 28.81. And putts per GIR has gone down only a little bit as well. Last year, PPGIR was 1.718 and in 1986 it was 1.736. The difference in those numbers strike me considering how much everyone harps about how bad greens were and such when we used steel spikes more.

John, what are the stats like for GIR themselves?  How many more par-5 birdies are 2-putts these days, rather than up & downs?  I am also assuming that 190-yd hole is easier to hit with (say) a new 6-iron than with an old 3-iron (even if the lofts are fairly similar).

J_ Crisham

« Reply #28 on: January 14, 2009, 08:42:13 PM »
I love these stats.  But what it means to me is this: 
If I played 100 rounds a year and averaged 80, I had 8000 shots.
For putts in the 0-3 ft range, I probably missed on average 1 every other round, low estimate, but that's 50 shots over the course of a year.  If I made all those, my shot total drops to 7950.
For putts in the 3-5 ft range, I probably missed at least 2 every round, that's 200 shots over the course of a year.  If I made half those, that's another 100 shots, my shot total drops to 7850.
For putts in the 5-10 ft range, I probably missed at least 4 every round, that's 400 shots over the course of a year.  If I just made a quarter of those, that's another 100 shots, my shot total drops to 7750.
For putts in the 10-20 ft range, I probably missed at least 5 every round, that's 500 shots over the course of a year.  If I just made a quarter of those, that's another 125 shots, my shot total drops to 7625.
Just with this small change, my handicap would drop at least 4 points. 
And that's still hitting the ball as crappy as I always have from tee to green.  Forget the driving range, I should spend every waking moment on the practice putting green.  Eureka!!!

Paul,  Let's look at it differently: If you pick up all your putts inside 3 feet you will improve by 100 strokes over the Summer! ;) By the same logic if you do the good/good with me on the 5 footers you will shave 200 more strokes etc. If you use this method I can have you down to scratch by the end of the Summer. ;D Why waste time practicing?          Jack     

Pat Burke

« Reply #29 on: January 15, 2009, 03:54:12 AM »
all i know is that a year or so ago Tiger did not miss even 1 putt of 3 feet or less the entire season!!!!!!!!! :o :o :o
Couple things that strike me about that.  First, since he is in the hunt ALL the time, that stat amazed me.
Second, he knows he hadn't missed any, he just had to, and he still made them all.
I played a tournament one time and did not miss a green through 17, as soon as I realized that, I promptly missed the 18th :D
Next day, had not missed a fairway coming to 18, and yup, you guessed it, wide right!
What I believe separates Tiger from a schmuck like me, was even at My best, an intrusive thought would still get in the way.  Tiger may go a whole tournament without those intrusive thoughts during his shots.  His single minded focus on the task is amazing

Rich Goodale

« Reply #30 on: January 15, 2009, 07:01:47 AM »
Pat

I have never been at your level, but the first time I played Pebble Beach I noticed on the 18th tee that I was playing the same ball I teed off with at the first, and you can guess the rest of the story....... :'(

Rich

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back