News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Kyle Harris

Ashbourne Country Club: A Postmortem
« on: January 09, 2009, 09:43:06 PM »
I received the news of the passing of Ashbourne Country Club while in Florida, and felt a bit saddened that I had never gotten the chance to play the course. Philadelphia lore had the course attributed to Frank Meehan, the courses of whom I had always enjoyed.

It was with bittersweet surprised that I received the news that Joe Bausch's research had uncovered that Willie Park, Jr. was responsible for the course at Ashbourne. Needless to say, my curiosity was immediately piqued and Joe and I put it in the back of our minds to one day get out there and catalog the golf course before it was too late.

Today was that date. Armed with the J. E. Ford course profile and a digital camera, Joe and I braved near 30 degree weather to set about on our grim deed.

We started near the pro shop on what appeared to be the Par 3 10th:

Ford describes this hole as follows, "My journey is half finished. On the tenth I gain a brief respite from the terrors I have viewed on the last few holes. The tenth is a simple hole and by traveling 165 yards, crossing safely the bunker 130 yards from the tee and avoiding the bunkers on either side of the green and the grass bunker in the back, I get home."*

*Ford wrote his course profile from the vantage point of the ball.

The 10th began a promising start as the Ford profile closely matched what we were seeing on the ground.

The 11th is an impressive par 5 which runs along Ashbourne Rd. I was immediately reminded of the great downhill Par 5 8th at Schuylkill CC (Ross) and the similarities from tee to green are striking.

From the tee:

The green appears just over the second rise:

A hint at the great drop off behind the green. Like many Park greens I've seen, this green is full of wonderful internal contour and several run-off spots for drainage. Particularly noteworthy was a thumb print which emptied on the right side.

A view from the front left, showing the thumb print lost from the shrinkage of the green edge:

The tumble down the hill from behind the green:

12th through 15th after the break!

Kyle Harris

Re: Ashbourne Country Club: A Postmortem
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2009, 09:51:35 PM »
The tee shot on the 12th is uncomfortable at first glance. With the fairway severely sloping into the Tookany Creek along the left side, I was left to wonder how the modern golfer accepted such obvious quirk, especially with the tighter fairways of today.

I believe this hole may have featured more bark than bite as respite is found with a well-struck tee ball. While the slope is still uncomfortable, a drive finding the crest of the ridge is fed to a flat spot giving a fair look at the green tucked behind the creek:

Turning around, I was still amazed at the severity of the fairway sloping toward Tookany's particular brand of death:

The green is situated in an attractive corner of the property, with the tributary to Tookany Creek in front and bunkers both flanking and to the rear:

I smiled, and thought of Sean Arble, at discovering this rear strip bunker, perhaps located to prevent overkill from the omnipresent creek:

Perhaps exasperated, perhaps triumphant, the golfer can look back at this severe corner and reflect upon his journey while walking to the next tee:

Kyle Harris

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2009, 09:57:52 PM »
As we found it, the 13th hole was located up a short rise above and southeast from the 12th green. A few things stuck out about this particular hole for Joe and I, including the directional signage spray painted on the cart path indicating that the 12th tee was in this direction.

At this point, Joe and I had not referred to the Ford articles in pocket but we noted this curiosity.

After mounting the slight rise, Joe and I happened upon an attractive, yet still perplexing Par 3:

My first thought was that the hole played MUCH longer than it did (I guess 200, actually yardage: 165). There are some serious Z-Axis lines on this hole allowing it to appear much longer.

I was further perplexed by the bunkering, which seemed to be disjointed with the green complex. This was especially apparent with a back bunker cut into a built up berm behind the green. I have not seen anything like this from Willie Park in the past. Furthermore, the green was a bit flatter and circular than most Park greens.

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2009, 09:59:51 PM »
12 was always a fun hole play. I haven't seen the Ford article. Asbourne was always thought to be designed by Meehan?

"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Kyle Harris

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2009, 10:07:47 PM »
As Joe and I walked to the 14th tee, we happened upon a flat area that seemed to be a tee box lined up toward what we assumed was the next green. However, a mature tree stood directly in the path of the would-be hole. Undaunted, but still perplexed I speculated that this could have been the nursery green area - but the location of the flat area still seemed odd and the area did not have the characteristic look of the other abandoned greens.

Following the path a bit more, we were presented with this view which seemed to be an equally logical position for the 14th tee:

I was particularly taken by the attractive tee sites benched into the hillside and the intricate stone work done on the retaining walls. The effort and care taken to construct such a teeing ground is exemplary and a testament to the care Francis Warner and the GAP committee took in following Park's plans for Ashbourne.

Alas, when we reached the tees and turned around, we were presented with our first "correct" look at the 14th hole:

Like the 12th, the severity of the area in the front of the tee does much to show the general nature of the site at Ashbourne. Unlike 12, however, a well struck tee ball would harmless fly over the severe portion and find a much flatter area for the approach to a green, again, situated behind the Tookany Creek.

Crossing the bridge affords this view of the green site, with an attractive tier and sloping front:

Park often provided a sloping front upon which the lesser player could land a mishit, but accurate, approach and allow it to release to the back portion of the green. That appeared to be the case with this green, and the location of the bunkering and creek indicates that Park was throwing the lesser player a break while allowing him to accomplish overtaking a severe hazard.

A picture of some of the more distinctive bunkering found on the course, this on the right side of the green:

Kyle Harris

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2009, 10:16:56 PM »
My partner in crime and I climbed to the next tee and I was presented, for the first time, with a view of the hole most photographed at Ashbourne.

J. E. Ford's golf ball had this take on the 15th:

"Five strokes are allotted me on the fifteenth. It is the creek, always the creek, on this hole. On the drive I cross the first one and the second after being struck by a brassie. All the while I must keep away from another stream skirting the left side of the fairway. After crossing the second creek I am pitched to a green, but must still avoid out of bounds on the left and the creek that swings around the right side of and behind the green."

Mr. Ford's golf ball obviously did not find this attractive bunker along the right side of the fairway (and neither did I on the 1942 aerial):

The brassie shot would have traversed this portion of the hole:

And finally, the ball pitched over this terrain:

I was particularly taken with the right bunker and how it both covered the green and the approach - perhaps gobbling up any slightly pushed swing at the green in two:

Unlike many of the holes at Ashbourne, where par is defended at the green or by severe fairway grades, this hole on the flatter portion of the property afford Park the ability to design a hole with many angles and routes with which to play while allowing only the natural features to dictate strategy. I believe this to be a Modus Operandi for Mr. Park, as such design features abound at Penn State's White Course.

Kyle Harris

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2009, 10:30:39 PM »
Walking across the bridge behind the green takes us to the dual level 16th green. Joe and I both agreed that the upper level left tee provided the more difficult angle, and I even found myself drawn to the creek while taking the picture:

From the lower right tee:

The approach to the 16th is guarded by this attractive little pit:

A good view of both the 16th and 15th greens, this portion of the property is a little cramped and perhaps a bit dangerous - however - the golfers are all presented with unobstructed views of what is occurring around them.

Joe and I became confused at this point, and the subsequent realizations are worthy of their own post.

Kyle Harris

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2009, 10:47:27 PM »
Joe and I looked back up the hillside and faced a road which diverged through the wood. After we meed the necessary Robert Frost joke I decided to consult the J. E. Ford profile folded neatly in my coat pocket.

I scanned the article to confirm our supposition that the course as explored was near the original as designed. The 10th, 11th and 12th descriptions were spot on and my excitement rose at the thought of a majority of the course in a state of frozen preserve.

Then I read the following for the 13th:
"I must negotiate another dogleg at the thirteenth. Again I face a creek on the left and woods on the right. On the second shot I climb a steep hill to the green with a trap snarling at me on the left and a grass bunker on the right."

I briefly thought Mr. Ford's ball had found its way on nearby Melrose CC, until I realized my odd feeling on the 13th hole was justified.

In reading this aloud to Joe, I believe we both connected the dots regarding the odd flat spot on the walk to the 14th hole, the odd extended walk from 13 green to 14 tee, and even why the hole numbering was off.

Apparently, the 13th hole played as a dogleg to a wider shared fairway with 14. I would imagine this hole was dangerous even when the course first opened and I can see why the hole was relocated.

Looking back on the view of the greenside bunker on 14, I believe the hole was routed up the slope on the right side, with the center line following the frost tire marks (this is why there is frost delays!):

Bob Harris

« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2009, 10:54:19 PM »
Very sad to see the course in this state.  My Grandfather was a member and my father caddied there as a kid.  A fun course to play, no longer than 6000 yards, it was always in pristine condition.

TEPaul

« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2009, 10:56:11 PM »
I did not realize Ashbourne went out of business. That is particularly sad to hear for me and tomorrow I'll explain why.

Kyle Harris

« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2009, 11:04:27 PM »
Undaunted, Joe and I trekked up the hillside to the 17th tee.

We were presented with a tee corridor easily rivaling the 15th at Rolling Green for tightest in the region:

Compounding the difficulty of finding the line is the fact that the shot is played into the hillside with the crest of the hill tantalizingly out of reach in the distance. Surprisingly, J. E. Ford's ball found the trek up the 17th as it (he?) only comments on the green site.

Upon exiting the urethral comfort of the chute of trees, the landing area appears a bit more forgiving than originally though, but still a formidable challenge:

I should note that the location of the original 13th green is just right of the picture roughly where the path hits the edge. I can imagine this area would be quite popular off the 17th tee, perhaps furthering the case against the original 13th green site.

Upon cresting the hillside, I saw fit to capture the journey from the destination:

At this point, the wind saw fit to remind Joe and I that we were no longer in the relative comfort of the valley below and we shivered a bit as we turned toward the green:

The bunker guarding the right side of the green seemed to be placed over the original:

17 provided a casual, but stern reminder that little happiness is found beyond a Willie Park green:

A look left provided an even sterner reminder on a as-of-yet unexplored green:

So far, the greens at Ashbourne (with the exception of 13) had exhibited a subtle, yet definable trace of Willie Park. The 17th is Park at his very sternest, with subtle ridges and fall offs that make for hazardous putting from the man who literally wrote the book on the subject:

Kalen Braley

« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2009, 11:04:48 PM »
How long has this course been closed?  Mother nature sure seems to be reclaiming the land fast....

Bob Harris

« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2009, 11:10:15 PM »
The course closed two years ago with plans to re-open in 2008.  When the township would not approve plans to build condos, the owners decided not to re-open.  I think that the course was maintained in 2007, but not in 2008.

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2009, 11:15:45 PM »
Ashbourne was founded around 1913-5 as the second of the "historically Jewish" clubs in the Philladelphia area. It is closer in to the city than the older Philmont and attracted members from the city who liked the idea of less travel. It's located in Cheltenham Township just across the city border. The club thrived through the 1980s and into the 90s but due to changing demographics of the residential community nearby and the club losing some younger members to Philmont,the club really didn't go after new members. As a consequence, the club, as they say in the business, got old. A merger was discussed with nearby Melrose. Then a club ownership and management company offered to buy the club from the members.That offer was accepted. The members retained access rights while the company sold annual memberships and some daily fee was allowed as well so the club became semi-private. The company tried for a zoning change to allow construction of 3 mid rise condos on the site of the clubhouse while building some new holes. The zoning change wound up in litigation. The real estate market went south. The club closed. I don't know if it will reopen as a golf course or if the owner will try to build the condos if and when the market turns around.

That's my version.

I await Tom's version
« Last Edit: January 10, 2009, 09:58:27 AM by Steve_ Shaffer »
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson

Kyle Harris

« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2009, 11:28:08 PM »
A curiosity sits behind the 17th green which we shall talk about later. After catching our bearings, we begin to explore the 18th hole:

A straightaway hole to a green situated below the pro shop.

Again, Park gives the golfer a little room for an accurate shot to use the run-up approach on this longer hole. Park is content for the golfer to show accuracy, even if the trajectory is slightly lower than is ideal.

Kyle Harris

« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2009, 11:37:48 PM »
Steve,

The J. E. Ford article I have in front of me was published on January 25, 1925 and states that the course had been open for one full season. This puts the design and construction of the golf course in the 1922/1923 time frame. Curiously, this must have been after the oft-cited advertisement brochure from Park which cites both Philmont and the Penn State Golf Course. I have it on darn near primary source information that the Penn State course did not begin construction until 1923 and we all are aware of Philmonts true pedigree so I find it curious that Park did not list Ashbourne among his courses.

I was curious about a paragraph in the Ford article that seems to imply that Park was not terribly fond of the design or routing:

"...To the eye of the inexperienced this estate possessed every requisite for a country club. The sharp slopes of the land, the wooded areas and the creek promised a fairyland in which golfers might some day revel.

This dream was dispelled temporarily when the estate was leased with the option of buying and Willie Park called in to design the course. The wooded slopes that enthralled the founders of the club were to Park simply obstacles in the path to a good course. Further, the buildings were so situated as to interrupt the straightforward sweep of fairways.

Despite these difficulties, Park succeeded in mapping out a course that employed the natural hazards of the location to the best possible advantage..."

This seems very similar to Park's attitude regarding the land chosen for Philmont's North Course and perhaps reflects Park's idea of "land suited for the purpose" of golf. Apparently, Park was a true pioneer in the sense that he was willing, albeit grudgingly, to attempt designs on sites on which he did not favor for golf.

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2009, 11:43:17 PM »
Since the club history is no longer on gapgolf, perhaps my memory fails me as to the date of the course. Perhaps the club took a long time in getting the course designed and built.  Where did the Meehan attribution come into play? I understand the current owners do not have any of club's records.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2009, 12:05:04 AM by Steve_ Shaffer »

Kyle Harris

« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2009, 12:03:30 AM »
Steve,

I don't believe your memory is fading because I recall you stating similar before. The Meehan attribution is perhaps linked to the fact that it was Francis Warner of the GAP that oversaw the actual construction of the course and it seems that Frank Meehan was a point man for agronomic issues at the time. The J.E. Ford article alludes to some changes necessitated during the construction of the golf course.

At this point it's all pure speculation, but every press release about the place I've seen to date about Ashbourne's founding points to Park as the original designer. What's in the ground is also quite sophisticated for Meehan, but is definitely similar to the style of Park.

Interestingly, Meehan had his hand in the development of Schuylkill under the same circumstances, perhaps.

Bradley Anderson

« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2009, 12:41:02 AM »
That is really painful to see a golf course in that state.  :'(

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2009, 01:27:26 AM »
Ashbourne had some terrific holes and it's really sad to see a golf course die, as I watched Alex Findlay's Valley Forge GC expire every day as I drove by for work a few years back..

It's amazing how quickly nature will reclaim a golf course.

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2009, 07:29:11 AM »
Thanks to the internet version of Joe and Mike's archives, I'm happy to report that the club history is available at http://web.archive.org/web/20051219212941/www.gapgolf.org/clubs.asp?cid=5

(The Internet Way Back Machine is really great for this sort of thing).

Here's the club history from gapgolf.org in 2005:

Just as Gulph Mills Golf Club is an outgrowth of Merion, so does Ashbourne Country Club trace its roots to Philmont, though perhaps in neither instance should the older organization be considered the parent club.

By 1922 a small group of Philmont Country Club members had become dissatisfied with certain conditions there. In one of the group’s early meetings. Judge Horace Stern made a pronouncement that not only sheds light today on the source of the dissatisfaction but served as a statement of policy of the embryonic club: "I warn you against the lavish ostentation and present day materialistic riotness of clubs. The object of the Ashbourne Country Club is not social dances and entertainment, but rather a place for healthy outdoor exercise and life."

Its founders conceived of their club as an all-male organization "devoted to Golf and Golf alone." However, Ashbourne was to be neither, as the original prospectus, prepared in the fall of 1922, made clear. One discerns in it the imprint of the founders’ spouses:

.... There is not a Club better fitted to meet the demands of the younger element and the busy men of our community. We will have a course so conveniently located in Cheltenham that one can remain in the office until as late as three o’clock, quickly get to the club, enjoy his eighteen holes of golf, and still be home to dinner at the proper hour; a beautiful place where you can entertain in the evening; where we can have our dances, dinner parties and social events, without the necessary time and travel for miles on the dusty roads.

The new club will have a combination of all of these qualities, at the same time having an atmosphere of modesty in design and construction. Modesty in cost, in maintenance, and annual dues, will be one of the most important factors

The club was chartered on September 2, 1922. The number of directors was fixed at eight, and they were named in the incorporating document: Siegfried Guggenheim, Lawrence Myers, David Nierenberg, Gilbert J. Kraus, Fred J. Rosenau, A. Leon Rosenblatt, Edwin L. Rothschild, and Louis Hirsch. Six of the eight resided in Philadelphia. Mr. Myers lived in Elkins Park, Mr. Nierenberg in Oak Lane. The list of Active Members was limited to 300, with each of them required to purchase one share of stock at a cost of $500. An Active Member’s dues were $100 a year.

The property that the new club leased had been known as Lifford Hall when it was the estate of Elizabeth de Querioz, Countess of Santa Eulalia. The Countess was a daughter of John B. Stetson. As called for in the prospectus, a clubhouse was built. The stable was put to use as a locker house. The carriage house, which is still standing, became in time the storage shed for the golf course equipment.

J. Franklin Meehan was brought in to lay out an 18-hole course on a tract of land that was less than a hundred acres. Meehan, who had designed the original nine and then its successor eighteen at North Hills, knew instinctively how to get the most out of a modest (to use the new club’s favorite adjective) piece of land. The result was a course which, while lacking in length, was in no sense short on either charm or challenge. It opened for play in 1923.

I was curious as to what $500 would be worth today, went to http://www.measuringworth.com:
$500 in 1923 would be worth
  • 6,073.29  using the Consumer Price Index 
  • $4,986.02  using the GDP deflator 
  • $13,659.33  using the value of consumer bundle * 
  • $20,801.53  using the unskilled wage * 
  • $29,952.85  using the nominal GDP per capita 
  • $80,827.30  using the relative share of GDP 
in 2009
« Last Edit: January 10, 2009, 07:36:36 AM by Dan Herrmann »

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2009, 07:46:20 AM »

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2009, 09:15:11 AM »
Dan,

Thanks for the "way back" research. I guess my date of 1913-15 is in error.

There are some big names mentioned in the history: John B. Stetson, founder of the world famous Stetson Hat Company whose factory and corporate office was located in Kensington neighborhood of Philadelphia.He was a pioneer in providing employee benefits. He built houses,parks and even a hospital to entice his employees to stay and produce. Horace Stern was the first Jew to serve on the Pennsylvania Supreme Court having been appointed in 1936. He became Chief Justice in 1952. Before Stern's elevation to the PA Supremes,in 1903 he co-founded the major law firm today known as WolfBlock and was a professor at Penn Law School. The other founders were prominent in the Philadelphia business and professional community.

I witnessed a hole in one the first time I played at Ashbourne.

astavrides

« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2009, 10:35:05 AM »
This thread reminds me that Philadelphia is really the capital for Golf Club Atlas scholarship and geekdom.   ;)  I played the course once and my overall impression was 'too many trees'. This doesn't show up as much with the leaves off the trees. For example, you almost had to hit a draw around the trees on the par 3 10th to get it onto the green.  I should learn to see the architecture even if a course is overtreed.   Maybe I was also hitting it particularly crooked that day. I wish this thread had been written before I played it (or I had done more research before I played it)--I would have appreciated it more.  Indeed it is also interesting how nature reclaims the course.

Bob Harris

« Reply #24 on: January 10, 2009, 01:51:14 PM »
A curiosity sits behind the 17th green which we shall talk about later. After catching our bearings, we begin to explore the 18th hole:

Kyle,

Are you referring to the new green complex.  The developer's plan was to build condos on the 9 th and 10th hole.  To complete the 18, the 3 rd hole was changed to a dogleg right and a new par 3 4th was built.  To replace 10, they built a new par 3 with the green behind the 17th.  If you check out Google Earth you can see that in 2004, the 9th green had already been abandoned.

Bob

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back