News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mike_Cirba

Re: 5th at Garden City picture
« Reply #25 on: January 21, 2009, 10:20:13 PM »
2006 image
<a href="http://www.historicaerials.com/?poi=3814"

1966 image
<a href="http://www.historicaerials.com/?poi=3815"

This website will allow you to compare two images at once by moving a bar from left to right--like magic you go from 1966 to 2006. The old green is there in the 1966 image (B/W, not crystal clear and certainly not like your drawing, George, but it's there).

Matt,

That may be the most amazing golf course restoration research tool I've ever seen.

Unbelievable technology!!   Thanks for sharing!

George_Bahto

« Reply #26 on: January 21, 2009, 10:38:39 PM »
RTJ knocked out the feature on the 12th in about 1960
If a player insists on playing his maximum power on his tee-shot, it is not the architect's intention to allow him an overly wide target to hit to but rather should be allowed this privilege of maximum power except under conditions of exceptional skill.
   Wethered & Simpson

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #27 on: January 21, 2009, 10:41:02 PM »
The original 12th and 13th greens were still maintained at Merion in 1958.

I can see exactly what the Nike Missile Site that took over the old 13th at Cobb's Creek looked like...holy cow.

Thanks a lot Matt....I think you've created grounds for divorce at my house!   ::) :o ;) ;D

George_Bahto

« Reply #28 on: January 21, 2009, 11:29:54 PM »
forget the old 12th - I've got it
If a player insists on playing his maximum power on his tee-shot, it is not the architect's intention to allow him an overly wide target to hit to but rather should be allowed this privilege of maximum power except under conditions of exceptional skill.
   Wethered & Simpson

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #29 on: January 21, 2009, 11:36:34 PM »
George,

I'll post on the Seaview thread, but the original 5th at Seaview's green was to the left of today's green.

Chris_Blakely

« Reply #30 on: January 22, 2009, 09:17:07 AM »
I thought that was Garden City Golf Club...the site of the Travis Memorial...that is the one pictured above....
Number one is bottom left corner...
now I am confused about which course is which..golf club or country club...
Patrick help us out here!

THERE IS NO CONFUSSION - THE ORIGINAL AERIAL MATT POSTED WAS OF GARDEN CITY COUNTRY CLUB - I POINTED THAT OUT, HE CHANGED IT WITHOUT AN AMENDMENT.

We do not need the help of Patricik Mucci on this one - if an amendment had been added as I just did, there would not have been ANY confusion.

CHRIS

Chris_Blakely

« Reply #31 on: January 22, 2009, 09:26:16 AM »
Matt got it right,

That is indeed the Garden City Golf Club...I'd recognize that 18th hole anywhere after having a big debate with Mr. Mucci about it.   ;D

The Country Club is a mile to the south-west of there.

Kalen,

Please see my post right before this one ( post #30 on this thread) so there is NO CONFUSSION that I do not know which course is Garden City GOLF CLUB and my amendment to my post # 12.  The original aerial posted by Matt was the wrong one of Garden CIty COUTNRY CLUB- that was changed by him after I noted so.

Thank you,
Chris

Kalen Braley

« Reply #32 on: January 22, 2009, 11:31:27 AM »
Matt got it right,

That is indeed the Garden City Golf Club...I'd recognize that 18th hole anywhere after having a big debate with Mr. Mucci about it.   ;D

The Country Club is a mile to the south-west of there.

Kalen,

Please see my post right before this one ( post #30 on this thread) so there is NO CONFUSSION that I do not know which course is Garden City GOLF CLUB and my amendment to my post # 12.  The original aerial posted by Matt was the wrong one of Garden CIty COUTNRY CLUB- that was changed by him after I noted so.

Thank you,
Chris

Chris,

My apologies...I didn't see the original aerial that he posted.  Good call.

CBFriars

« Reply #33 on: January 22, 2009, 12:02:49 PM »
George,

I was the 2nd Assistant Superintendent there '95-'97 and took over for Craig Currier from '97-'01 as Assistant Superintendent when he went to Bethpage.  I miss being there, lot of fond memories of that course.  You don't see many like it, it's a special place.  My only wish is that they restore the 12th back to the original.

Chipoat,

It was the 5th and 14th (not 15th) that were re-done by Tom Doak.

Cheers

Michael Wharton-Palmer

« Reply #34 on: January 22, 2009, 12:16:18 PM »
I love that 14th hole, such a great short par 4.
Fairly demanding tee shot, and a great small tricky green to play into.
The areas around the green are brilliant, a tough green to get up and down on.
I did not realis this was a green redo though, thansk for the info.
Number 12 is one of my favourite holes on the course, any more info on the old green to share?

JSlonis

« Reply #35 on: January 22, 2009, 03:10:27 PM »
I love that 14th hole, such a great short par 4.
Fairly demanding tee shot, and a great small tricky green to play into.
The areas around the green are brilliant, a tough green to get up and down on.
I did not realis this was a green redo though, thansk for the info.
Number 12 is one of my favourite holes on the course, any more info on the old green to share?

Michael,

The par 3 12th is one of your favorites?  That's interesting to hear because I've heard many guys say it's one of their least favorite holes on the course.

Here's a quote from Ran on a thread that was posted about Garden City years ago...

"I have never met one person who has anything remotely nice to say about RTJ's 12th green - it sticks out like a sore thumb. What are the members' reservations about restoring it? Anything, and I mean anything, would be better."

I'm sure someone on this site will post an old photo of the original 12th green.  To say it was interesting would be an understatement.  :)
« Last Edit: January 22, 2009, 03:21:15 PM by JSlonis »

Matt_Davenport

« Reply #36 on: January 22, 2009, 08:39:55 PM »
Chris,
My apologies for pulling the ol' switcheroo and not being forthright about it.  You don't mind a friendly shell game, do you? ;) With your help re-directing me to the northeast, it was alot easier to find the 5th hole (as shown in George's drawing) on the correct course.

Mike,
Grounds for divorce (again)??? Man, I'm sorry but she'll understand--OK maybe not!

Neil_Crafter

« Reply #37 on: January 23, 2009, 02:26:42 AM »
Tom MacWood tried sending these images of the 5th at Garden City to George, but they did not go through. So I'm posting them as an intermediary.
Neil

Chris_Blakely

« Reply #38 on: January 23, 2009, 08:46:04 AM »
Chris,
My apologies for pulling the ol' switcheroo and not being forthright about it.  You don't mind a friendly shell game, do you? ;) With your help re-directing me to the northeast, it was alot easier to find the 5th hole (as shown in George's drawing) on the correct course.

Mike,
Grounds for divorce (again)??? Man, I'm sorry but she'll understand--OK maybe not!

Matt,

No worries - I just got a little frustrated when others thought (after the aerials were switched) that I had the two courses confused.

Chris

George_Bahto

« Reply #39 on: January 23, 2009, 09:51:15 AM »
Tom and Neil - thank you very much fvor your help. I have another one coming next week and I'll post it.
   Wethered & Simpson

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #40 on: January 23, 2009, 09:52:51 AM »
Tom MacWood and Neil,

Thanks for posting that picture.   

Those lay of the land greens are sure beautiful to me, and I'm not sure exactly why I so prefer them to built up "green complexes"?

Perhaps I just believe golf should be a simple game, and they certainly exude that attribute.

George_Bahto

« Reply #41 on: January 23, 2009, 09:57:36 AM »
Actually the lower picture is the one I have coming - hopefully a better quality - it was featured in the 75-yr version of their club history.
   Wethered & Simpson

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back