News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Sean_A

PRAIA d'el REY Pix and Thoughts New
« on: June 02, 2006, 08:01:13 PM »
I had the opportunity to play a few games at Praia D'el Rey this past week.  The course is situated on a cliff over-looking a superb beach and the Atlantic.  Maybe 1:15 minute drive northwest from the centre of Lisbon and not too far from stunning Obidos.  The land is very sandy, hilly and dune ridden.  There are many inland holes through pine forest and a huge housing complex.  I imagine 5 years ago this course would have been a stunner.  Praia d'el Rey still has its moments, but it is only a matter of time before all that will be left is the Muccian side of things.  Good golf, who needs the the views?  

I think the course was built by Cabell Robinson to accommodate an estate and hotel.  It is very surprising (given the course is a resort type deal) how narrow some of the corridors are.  Several times I paced off fairways less than 25 yards wide with rough, which was severe, offering another 20 yards of respite from wild desert like country.  

For someone who hits the ball 230ish the middle tees are quite a stiff test because of narrowed landing zones and many dogleg holes which require shaping the ball if the driver is in the hand.  It is actually safer to move back a set and not worry too much about about club selection.  On many holes it does make a big difference which side of the fairway you are on for approach angles.  I was just happy to hit the fairway!

I thought the course was very good. However, I didn't think the architect took too many chances with the design.  Perhaps the estate and hotel limited the chances for a bolder course.   Other than the narrowness of the course my biggest complaints are with the amount of bunkers and lack of f&f conditions.  It seems these are two issues which in my opinion most new courses fail miserably on.    

After a dopey little opener the second offers a glimpse of some good stuff to come.  A short par 5 which forces the player to take on water and this bunker if he hopes to reach in two.

Par 3 third hole from short right.

The 3rd from behind the green.

The 4th hole.  Very reminiscent of Cruden Bay's 8th though very different!  This is a short par 4, but very much more difficult to drive the green. The player can drive over the right fairway bunker, but all you gain is distance as the better angle of approach is from the middle of the fairway because this green slides hard left down the dune.  This is probably the best hole on the course.

Behind the 4th green.

The tough 5th hole.  A good drive leaves this approach.  

A closer look of the 5th showing a narrow, raised green.

Another toughie.  The 6th is short, but very tight.  This caps a trio of very good holes on the front nine.  

A closer look at #6.  This photo demonstrates another dislike of mine - trees near bunkers.  The trees really help to transition the course to its surrounds, but they are a playability nightmare.

Another view of the 6th.  This green is fairly typical.  Small target and severely raised.  It doesn't look like it, but this green slopes a load from back to front.

The very uphill 11th.  About four clubs of steepness!  Another difficult target. The green is shaped like a three leaf clover.  You can see how difficult it is to get close to this pin. Those bunkers are 12 yards past the flag.

Another lovely hole, the 12th bends left around the huge Marriott hotel.  

The driveable 13th.  Not a great hole, but fun.

A closer, but misty view of the 13th.

The 13th from well right of the green.

The par 3 14th from the right.  Many greens at PdR are narrow.

From behind the 14th green.

The 15th - another very narrow LZ.

A closer look at #15.

The 16th is a very difficult uphill par 4 followed by this monster par 5 that is oh so narrow.  The 17th turns left and heads up the hill. After two very risky shots the player is rewarded with this very dicey approach.

The 18th is a good finisher.  Tight drive and the approach is even tighter.  

Another uphill approach with trouble both sides.

All in all, Praia d'el Rey is a good course.  It is miles better than the highly touted course I played in Spain a few years ago, PGA Catalunya.  However, I can't help but think it is an opportunity lost.  This is a great site for golf, but I don't think there is a single great hole on the course.  Additionally, the par 3s and 5s are not bad, but I would expect something better for a course rated 13 in Europe.  If you find yourself in the area, bring your sticks and have a game, but don't plan a golf holiday around PdR.    

Ciao

« Last Edit: March 01, 2010, 05:15:03 PM by Sean Arble »
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Jonathan McCord

Re:Praia d'el Rey pix and thoughts
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2006, 08:17:04 PM »
Sean, Great Pics!!!  Looks like some pretty nice green complexes.  By the pictures, I would imagine it could be even better if some of the bunkers were integrated with their surroundings more closely.  Rough and ragged edged bunkers would also give the course a more natural look, especially in the dune areas.  Looks like a nice place!!
« Last Edit: June 02, 2006, 08:17:52 PM by Jonathan McCord »
"Read it, Roll it, Hole it."

Jay Cox

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2006, 01:14:57 AM »
Sean, really fantastic pictures.  Despite your cogent explanations of the course's shortcomings, they still make me want to go out and play golf.  Could you comment a bit on the greens?  From the close-up shots of 3, 4, 5, and 14, they look to have a good deal of internal movement connecting smoothly to the surrounds - and, at least in some cases, to be fairly small and exacting targets, especially if there's wind about.  I'm especially curious about how you thought the greens treated "wrong-side" misses on short to mid length recovery shots; from a quick look, it seems like those shots could be quite interesting.

Marc Haring

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2006, 04:07:55 AM »
Great  pix Sean. Perhaps you could explain your SRA scale?

Surrounded by development? Your pictures have managed to eliminate it. They're all tight courses in Portugal. Must be the relaxing effects of the wine and Port.

Sean_A

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2006, 04:48:38 AM »
Jay

My comments are probably overly critical as RdR is a good course.  I would think it is difficult not to build a good course on this site.  However, for a course ranked 13th in Europe I expected a bit more from the 5s and and particularly the 3s.  Mind, I played Swinley, Pennard, Burnham and Addington just prior to this trip so most par 3s would pale in comparison.  I think that if Strantz designed this course everybody would know about it.  The land is similar to Tobacco Road (with better drainage), but with some lovely views.  

The greens are good for the most part.  They flow fairly well with the land, there is some interesting contour without going OTT (especially on the holes with severe elevation), but I would have liked to see a green or two which really got my head scratching.    

Some wrong misses near the green are absolutely dead.  I am not talking 20 yards off line.  More like 5- 10 yards off line (#s 1, 4, 11, 17 & 18).  There are several drives which are dead with misses either way as well.  Because of the lack of firmness many recoveries aren't too difficult if you can hit a flop shot.  After a few plays seeing how the ball rolls with the dunes it becomes easier to pick a line.  Trying to bump and run was very difficult because the rough is very clingy and and it is kept moist.  It was usually imperative to hit the green first then let the ball roll out.  I don't know what this rough was, but I didn't like it.  It was probably a type that is used in the southern States because of the heat and maybe the sea air.  

Marc

This was the first course I have ever seen in Portugal.  I didn't drink much port as the weather was very hot.  We had several days in the 35 degree range.  However, I did manage a glass or two of my favourite Portugali wine, Dao.  It was a real pleasure to drink the proper stuff rather than that rubbish sold in the UK.  

I tried to avoid getting housing into the pix.  Many of the long range inland views of the hills are marred by housing and there are a few fairways lined with villas.  

My scale is like Rihc Goodale's Michelin Star rip off scale (1*- 3* with recommendations for courses that don't make star level) - otherwise known as the Rihcelin Guida.  

Ciao

Sean
« Last Edit: January 09, 2009, 06:23:22 PM by Sean Arble »
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Ben Cowan-Dewar

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2006, 06:54:24 AM »
Dave Scalletti took a beautiful shot for this course, which is on his website (www.sportscapes.com), which has motivated me to see it.

Sean did you play any of the other Lisbon area courses?

ForkaB

« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2006, 07:07:23 AM »
 In the end, my scale is quite similar to Rihc Goodale's Michelin Star rip off scale (1*- 3*).  

Thanks for the report and the pics, Sean.  Looks like a place to visit.

As for "my" scale I actually ripped it off from the old golf writer Sam McKinlay, who ripped it off from Michelin to rate Scottish courses, and used thistles (Muirfield, TOC, Dornoch and Turnberry were the only 3 thistle courses in his book). :)

Philip Gawith

« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2006, 03:44:07 PM »
Sean - nice to see those pictures. i played the course about four years ago and really enjoyed it. Certainly it is a wonderful location even if the course is not exceptional. When I played there the Marriott hotel was but a distant dream (how was it, by the way?).

Ben - the best course near Lisbon that I played is Oitavos. I would highly recommend a visit there. It is part heathland, part links - I think it is as good a course as San Lorenzo which is often voted best course in Portugal.

Sean_A

« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2006, 04:47:49 PM »
Philip

The hotel is quite good, but without soul.  If you are looking for a few days on the fabulous beach, perhaps a few excursions to nearby Obidos or further afield and/or a few games of golf, than the hotel is very well suited.  

Ciao

Sean

Philip Gawith

« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2006, 06:07:46 AM »
I have not been there for a few years so my memory is a bit hazy. The best holes are the sequence down by the water - the two par fours, followed by a very tough par 5 (depending on the weather). The 18th is quite a fun hole - potentially driveable if you give it a big enough swipe (or am I confusing with 17?).

I don't think it is a masterpiece, but certainly a fun place to play with a few strong holes.

It is a bit lacking in atmosphere - full of foreign visitors, without a strong core of local members - but that is a quibble.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2006, 11:09:40 AM »
Wow, that looks like a great piece of ground.  Dana Fry told me a few years ago that he'd played the course and thought it was exceptional, glad to see what he was talking about.  But sorry to see the houses going in behind some of the greens ... even if they were a necessary part of the financing process.

Richard Boult

Re: Praia d'el Rey pix and thoughts
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2009, 12:23:07 AM »

Cristian

Re: PRAIA d'el REY Pix and Thoughts
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2009, 03:42:11 PM »
Sean,

Thanks for reminding me of a great golfing weekend with your PdR pics.
I played the course 6 or 7 years ago. Back then there was very little housing and no hotel and the place looked great, although some construction was already going on at that stage.

I remember very well the quality of the short par 4 4th hole which you describe and I also remember the coastal stretch of holes (around or just after the turn if I recall correctly). Especially the rough there. Although I remember the coastal links-style holes as being a little bit wider, the rough was really punishing, with just of the fairway some heather-looking iceplant type of vegetation which made it impossible to hack out more than just a few yards, although the ball would look to be sitting up beatifully; very deceptive and very frustrating. I had never seen this type of plant in the UK or northern/western europe. Does anyone know what it is?

Overall I liked the course, although the inland holes didn't blend in well with the coastal links style holes; it made me feel as if I had played two different courses. The place is beautiful however, but in the Lisbon area (stretching it to Setubal) I prefer Troia. A similar maybe even narrower course, but without the extensive housing and with inland and linksy holes blending better. Did you play there to?

Aidan Bradley

« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2009, 04:08:18 PM »
"not too far from stunning Obidos"

While shooting Golden Eagle Golf Club near Lisbon last May I had the good fortune to stay in Obidos for 6 delightful days, a pretty special place. I also went to Praia and requested an audience with the Director of Golf which was declined and I was told I could not go on the course even to check it out. Must not like Irishmen!!!!

Paul Nash

« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2009, 04:15:55 PM »
Sean - great summary - a stunning location and great land which is very enjoyable but very little was exceptional. I liked 2-7 and the coastal holes best - and like you I thought 4 was the best. I was really surprised about the fourth to seventh as turning inland I thought I would enjoy them less. Like all the courses I saw in Spain the clubhouse was dissapointing and felt dislocated from the course - despite this being the best of the bunch. Another course I enjoyed and thought was great value was Aroeira and most dissapointing was Quinta do Peru, which should be ranked nowhere near a top 20

Sean_A

« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2009, 06:08:43 PM »
"not too far from stunning Obidos"

While shooting Golden Eagle Golf Club near Lisbon last May I had the good fortune to stay in Obidos for 6 delightful days, a pretty special place. I also went to Praia and requested an audience with the Director of Golf which was declined and I was told I could not go on the course even to check it out. Must not like Irishmen!!!!

Aidan

Thanks for the memories of Obidos.  It truly is one of the greatest little towns I have seen.  There is a superb little outdoor bar on the left wall (as you look up toward the castle Pousada as in the pic below, but the bar can't be seen) that puts on cool bands.  The pousada is also a neat place to stay - like all the pousadas in Portugal and the paradors in Spain.

Ciao
« Last Edit: January 08, 2009, 06:19:37 PM by Sean Arble »

Alfonso Erhardt

« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2009, 03:28:19 AM »
I played Praia del Rey last year and I was dissapointed by the way housing was cramping over the hole, including some high nets and fences (I recall on 10, 11, 12) to avoid errant balls falling in someone's garden.

I agree with Sean that the 4th is clearly the best hole in the course, along with some of the others along the coastline. The pine section is a little to cramped for my tastes - although not bad holes in any manner.

However, I much prefer Oitavos, closer to Lisbon. The course has an expansive feel that Praia del Rey does not and is kept in fantastic condition (plays very firm), maybe because the Portuguese Open is usually held there every spring. Clearly my choice in Portugal (Troia a short second).

Regards,

Philip Gawith

« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2009, 08:50:44 AM »
I think I agree with Alfonso that Oitavos is the better course - indeed, the best modern course I think I have played in Europe, possibly including the UK. That said, Praia del Rey is a great place to play golf - just a shame as others note re the buildings. My only visit was pre Marriott hotel, about 5/6 years ago and I suspect it was a nicer place.

Jed Peters

« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2009, 09:47:48 AM »
Wow. That looks like a solid course on a great piece of property. I love the "euro" look and feel that it still has as well....

Aidan Bradley

« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2009, 12:22:44 PM »
Oitavos..........

Philip Gawith

« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2009, 06:17:50 PM »
Great pictures Aidan, thank you.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back