News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Patrick_Mucci

A most worthy quest ?
« on: January 08, 2009, 06:59:53 PM »
Viewing the 1938 aerials of The California Club and NGLA, Shinnecock and Southampton, along with early aerials of GCGC, I couldn't help but think how valuable these vintage photos are/can be.

Should there be a quest to obtain aerial photos dating as close as possible to opening day on all courses, especially those held in such high regard ?

What's the best way to go about obtaining them ?

Wasn't the USGA going to begin an archival project ?

Wouldn't that be the most practical storage site ?

In the "Courses by Country" section, a footnote indicating the year of the earliest aerial photo of the golf course would help.

It would be interesting to compare the earliest aerials with the most recent aerials.

I would think that EVERY club would be interested in that exercise.

Jim_Kennedy

Re: A most worthy quest ?
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2009, 07:08:03 PM »
Pat,
Here's Tony Pioppi's thread listing just about every golf course in CT., and a few in RI, Ma., & NY., that were in existence in 1934.

I don't know if there were any earlier than '34.

http://golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,32030.0.html

p.s. since this list was compiled more courses have surfaced and Tony has updates. 

« Last Edit: January 08, 2009, 07:14:30 PM by Jim_Kennedy »
"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2009, 07:27:12 PM »
These are all most worthy quests. It was a reaction to a similar, earlier quest that led to the USGA starting to put such things on line. We are not there yet, but if we keep at it we can gradually build up a valuable archive and resource.

There is always the question of authenticating material, of verifying sources and so on, but surely it is better to get as much source material into the public domain as possible to let scholarship flow than to let it stagnate because someone is not sure if they will be shot down by the arrogant who, apparently, know better.

I can't think of a better example of how this website might be used than the current series of inquisitive posts about MacKenzie from Neil Crafter. It sent me to the remnants of a public pitch-and-putt in Buxton, but what a lot I learned from going there! It is on my doorstep, but I didn't know it was there. From a golfing point of view it is negligible, but what a revelation!

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2009, 07:36:51 PM »
Patrick,
It's certainly worthy.  And I hope it gets folks to get photos/aerials of their favorite NEW golf courses.

We at the treehouse have the ability to chronicle the 2nd golden age for future generations.

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2009, 08:25:59 AM »
Many may remember, "The aerial of the day".
The courses compiled in those threads might be a good list to start with in terms of obtaining the earliest aerials possible.

It would also make for interesting comparisons.

Rich Goodale

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2009, 08:36:33 AM »
Mark

If the USGA (or whoever) is serious about this sort of project, they should make it a Wiki-file and let anybody and everybody post to it, editing afterwards if necessary.  If it is just another centrally controlled/jobs for the TFB's sort of project it will never give us the quantity, quality or richness we deserve.  I come across old pictures of great courses weekly, but why would I ever wish to pass on these finds to some black hole in Far Hills?

All the best

Rich

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back