News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Anthony_Nysse

Colonial write on cybergolf.com
« on: January 07, 2009, 02:00:56 PM »
He's a review of the work done at Colonial this past summer. A very well written piece.

http://www.cybergolf.com/golf_news/colonial_in_winter_the_yellow_rose_of_texas

Tony Nysse
Asst. Supt.
Colonial CC
Ft. Worth, TX
Anthony J. Nysse
Director of Golf Courses & Grounds
Apogee Club
Hobe Sound, FL

Mark Smolens

Re: Colonial write on cybergolf.com
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2009, 07:11:26 PM »
Tony, I saw this writeup listed on golfobserver.com.  Sounded like the work done came out very well.  Just curious, is this the round where there was the (apparently inadvertent) screwup with the scheduling?  Tho I haven't met Jay Flemma, I've only heard good things about him from a fellow gca denizen, and I do hope that any bad feelings from the earlier thread about guests have indeed been satisfactorily resolved. . .

Anthony_Nysse

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2009, 07:03:52 AM »
Mark,
  That is it.

Tony Nysse
Asst. Supt.
Colonial CC
Ft. Worth, TX
Anthony J. Nysse
Director of Golf Courses & Grounds
Apogee Club
Hobe Sound, FL

Michael Wharton-Palmer

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2009, 09:12:01 AM »
As only Jay can do, a marvelous colourful write up of a wonderful golf course.
Colonial is one of those courses that gets respect for its Hogan connection and of course the pga tour event.
However, I dont think people truly realise what a great course this is...it is on everybody lists because it is "supposed" to be and when they actually see the place they think...wow..it really is that good!

David Stamm

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2009, 10:25:16 AM »
The article says that Hogan won 10 majors. He in fact won 9. 4 US Opens, 2 Masters, 2 PGAs and 1 British.
"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

Michael Wharton-Palmer

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2009, 04:29:28 PM »
Hogan siad he won ten..that "other" US Open...so at Colonial he did win 10!

Mark Smolens

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2009, 05:23:50 PM »
Where is Dan Jenkins when I need him?  Over cocktails during a very cool evening, he explained in very great detail how Mr. Hogan was being screwed out of a major. . .  He's written on the subject a couple of times in Golf Digest, but I'd be hard pressed to recall when.

Sam Morrow

« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2009, 05:30:14 PM »
Where is Dan Jenkins when I need him?  Over cocktails during a very cool evening, he explained in very great detail how Mr. Hogan was being screwed out of a major. . .  He's written on the subject a couple of times in Golf Digest, but I'd be hard pressed to recall when.

I think it's between 42-45 the USGA didn't call it the US Open, called it something else but you got the same gold medal.

Kevin_Reilly

« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2009, 06:11:40 PM »
The Hale America Open.
"GOLF COURSES SHOULD BE ENJOYED RATHER THAN RATED" - Tom Watson

Dan Moore

« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2009, 06:15:31 PM »
I think, if my memory serves, that Hogan considered his win in the Hale American Red Cross tournament held at Ridgemoor CC in 1942 as the equivalent of the US Open.  The Open was not staged that year because of the ongoing war effort.  
"Is there any other game which produces in the human mind such enviable insanity."  Bernard Darwin

J_ Crisham

« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2009, 06:28:49 PM »
Might that have been in Chicago in 1942 if I recall correctly? It was cosponsored by the CDGA and the USGA.  Hogan shot 62 in the 2nd round.                                 Jack

Sam Morrow

« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2009, 06:35:46 PM »

David Stamm

« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2009, 09:18:49 PM »
Hogan siad he won ten..that "other" US Open...so at Colonial he did win 10!

I know that Hogan thought it was a major, but there wasn't a 5th USGA trophy presented, despite the medal looking identical. The record shows he won 9 majors.
"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2009, 09:31:23 PM »
Now, had that tournament in Chicago been played over the very testing "monster" of the Reverse Jans course we might be much more inclined to give him the beneift of the doubt.

Mark Smolens

« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2009, 10:53:31 AM »
Not sure that with his low ball flight that Bantam Ben would have been able to handle the Reverse Jans.  Tho he'd have loved the tunnel option on the Alps hole!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back