News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Anthony Butler

The Golfing Desert
« on: January 06, 2009, 10:47:02 PM »
Will be in Scottsdale this February for a family visit.

All in all, should be a great trip. Tennis court next door. Pool out back for the young 'uns to splash around in. Fully stocked liquor cabinet. Good Company. Tickets to a couple of Giants spring training games. All in all it beats a week shoveling snow off the sidewalk in Cambridge, MA.

The only possible problem is the golf.

We have a connection at Gold Canyon for a free round. It's been 6 years since the last visit, so would also like to see the revised TPC Desert Course. I could also pull a connection for a game at Whisper Rock. That's about it.

I have set aside time for two other rounds of golf. With this recession going on, however, I don't want to spend it paying $250 to play Cactus Pines in Glendale.

Would love suggestions from the GCA community on the best courses under $100 near Scottsdale. Thanks in advance for any advice-architectural or otherwise.

Next!

Steve_ Shaffer

Re: The Golfing Desert
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2009, 11:02:20 PM »
Try www.golfnow.com for discounted rates.

Vista Verde should be close to $100 in peak season.

Rates are due to rise again Jan 15 but Talking Stick North is now $90

Legend Trail is another possibility as is Longbow in Mesa.

By all means, play Whisper Rock and if you can, the new Papago.

"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Jason Topp

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2009, 11:03:05 PM »
A few quick ideas of courses that may meet your price criteria

Vista Verde
Papago
Vistal

Each has been discussed in the past - just do a simple search for the course name.

Andy Troeger

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2009, 11:07:02 PM »
Keep in mind that Papago is evidently now $120 for non-residents unless you can get some kind of discount. It may be a bargain for locals, but not so much for the rest of us.

Definitely go see Gold Canyon, its one of my favorite public courses out there.

As Steve said, Longbow in Mesa is usually under $100 and worth playing. Vista Verde would give you the Ken Kavanaugh triple-play.

David Botimer

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2009, 11:52:06 PM »
TPC Champions (formerly Desert) Course had a twilight walking rate a year ago below $50.  Nice track and very walkable.

Adam Jeselnick

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2009, 01:23:00 AM »
Played TPC Champions (Desert) recently and I would not recommend it.  The greens were inconsistent and the cart paths are a disaster (I know, I should have walked...)

Lots of other good options and deals to be found...PM me if you want more detailed info.
-AJ

Bill_McBride

« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2009, 09:00:03 AM »
Make the trek up to Globe and play Apache Stronghold - you won't be sorry.

Jerry Kluger

« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2009, 09:39:15 AM »
This may be a bit OT but I go with my kids to Scottsdale every Spring and we go over to Jerry's Golf Balls in Phoenix and the kids have fun picking through the balls.  The owner has a deal with most maintenance crews within a few hundred miles and has an incredible selection of used balls at a great price.  Most players don't like snakes and leave their new Pro V1s in the desert.

Tom Yost

« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2009, 11:19:50 AM »
I will echo the Vista Verde recommendation for both value and a solid golf experience.

Anthony Butler

« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2009, 10:40:19 AM »
Thanks for the suggestions. Any more welcome. Will give Matt Ward's thread "Best 10 in AZ" a read too.

If I can convince my uncle to drive out to Apache Stronghold, I will definitely play there. He knows a lot about the local tribes in AZ. since he served as a doctor on one of the reservations after going through Dartmouth on a Govt. scholarship back in the early 70s. (Alternative posting-field surgeon in Vietnam.)

Next!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back