News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ran Morrissett

California Golf Club of San Francisco profile is posted ...
« on: January 06, 2009, 03:24:46 PM »
... under Architecture Timeline and Courses by Country.

Photographs showing the transformation of the California Golf Club of San Francisco have already graced this Discussion Group. Is it the best course in San Francisco now? With its combination of expansive property, superior playing surfaces, acres and acres of short grass, and MacKenzie bunkers all leading to some outstanding holes, it's easy to construct such an argument. Regardless, everyone at the very least is startled by how a course could come so far, so fast. In fact, in ~ 24 hours after you have had a chance to look at some of these photographs, I am going to post a couple of photographs from 2003 to demonstrate this point.

At the heart of this renovation/restoration centers the successful marriage of Kyle Phillips's proposed sweeping changes and how the club board lead by Al Jamieson was able to convince the membership that it was the best direction to go. Originally, the project could have been curtailed to addressing the nematode issue of the greens but thankfully, it grew into something far more grand. Very few clubs can lay claim to their Golden Age course being the best that it has ever been - the Cal Club now joins that select company. As he displayed at Kingsbarn, Kyle Phillips has an uncanny ability to take a big picture approach and create something special that most other architects can't either fathom or execute.

Here, his five new holes meld into the Locke/Macan/MacKenzie ones with no one being able to tell who did what. Though hindsight shows Phillips's plan was the right one to pursue of the fourteen that the club board considered, every plan needs a sponsor, especially one that involves shutting down the course for fifteen months. Fortuitously, the then club president was Al Jamieson, whose favorite golf credo is, "Play the course as you find it. Play the ball as you find it. Leave the course better than you found it."  That mindset helped guide him throughout the process of shepherding this through. Though the approval process took a chunk of time, he was more than glad spend it as, in his words, it represented ‘a once in a lifetime opportunity to give back to a place that has given much to me. I'm glad it happened on my watch, assisted by many able and dedicated hands.’ 

The net result is that starting six feet under ground, this is a Golden Age golf course with the best that modern agronomy has to offer. What could be better?! As Al states, ‘The goal was to leave the course better than we found it, for the benefit of future generations’ and this was hands down accomplished.

One of the neat aspects about this project is the impact that several 30-35 year olds had. There is Mark Thawley at Phillips Design whose research proved a key guiding factor to the overall project. His passion for the project started five plus years ago when he first discovered a 1938 aerial. Though the potential was evident before any dirt work commenced, Mark's back and forth with the shapers Kyle Franz and George Waters during construction on the black and white aerials was critical to the project's overall success.

Also, Mark tried to get Josh Smith to the site at least a year before Josh ended up taking the Second Assistant Green Keeping position. Even after Josh took the job, the members had not yet voted on the project. Al is quick to pile credit on Josh and according to Al, 'All of the finishing touches that highlight the golden age of American golf are a direct result of his influence and artistic eye, including research as well as some of the material objects on the course including rakes, flags, benches. etc. ' Having listened to Josh talk about this project for three years, I can personally attest to how much heart and soul he invested into it. Bottom line: he was there each and every day and if, for instance, a bunker was ever so slightly misaligned, everyone heard about it from Josh.

Such devotion to detail nearly became commonplace as everyone involved sensed something special was going on. Take Kyle Franz and George Waters. Late on an October evening, a group of us were going over the finer details and the conversation turned to the feeder mound in front of the long par three eighth green. It turned out that George had shaped that one and he talked about some of the holes in Britain where a ridge begins out in the approach area and then carries through the putting surface, holding up a narrow high shelf and acting as a feeder for the broader lower shelf. He noted the seventeenth at St. George's Hill as well as Old Tom's sixth green on the Valley Course at Rosapenna. It did make me think that the ease of travel and the better world economy/politics of the start of the 21st century allowed someone's interest like George's to foster and grow as opposed to people who pursued the profession from 1950 through 1980 that weren’t afforded such opportunities of studying UK courses. Here is an in the dirt example of the benefit of that.

Hopefully, this is the next generation of folks who will be shaping the future of golf course architecture. Based on their work at the Cal Club, we are in very good shape indeed. In the meanwhile, we are all left with this 'new old' gem to savor once again.

Cheers,
« Last Edit: January 06, 2009, 05:16:25 PM by Ran Morrissett »

Tom Huckaby

Re: California Golf Club of San Francisco profile is posted ...
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2009, 03:26:49 PM »
Don't know much about history... don't know much biology....

But I do know that this course used to be pretty good, but an overly-treed, not all that much slog.\

It's now as fun as golf can possibly be.

Yet another excellent profile, Ran.

TH

ps - apparently we missed each other by a week there.

ed_getka

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2009, 03:34:30 PM »
Ran,
   Thanks for the post. Mark Chalfant and I had an eye-opening tour of the course with Josh last year and I was amazed by the land up there. I had heard indifferent things about the course over the years so had never made an effort to see the property. It must really be amazing to those who saw the course before thousands of trees came down to restore vistas across the course and to see the new holes and the removal of the pond near the clubhouse. The course just seems so right that it is hard to imagine how it got off track in the recent past. The one hole I wonder about is the par 4 on the back side that curves around the range. I'm not sure if that one is going to work or not. I will be interested to hear from those who have played it what their thoughts are. A couple of greens on the course seemed to have a little too much movement which seemed like it would reduce significantly the pinnable area of the green, but not having played the course I could be totally off base with that observation. Overall I think Cal Club is very impressive in its current iteration.
"Perimeter-weighted fairways", The best euphemism for containment mounding I've ever heard.

Chip Gaskins

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2009, 03:39:08 PM »
Congrats to all involved with this...it looks amazing.  And just from the pictures, it sure has to be considered in a very short list of the best in SFO if not NorCal or even California. 

Everyone affiliated with this must be thrilled.  Great job.

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2009, 03:45:06 PM »
Ran says it's arguably in the top 5 of our state... think about what that means.

While I'm not sure I can get it to those lofty heights, well.. at least he's not crazy.  It's definitely arguable.

It is one hell of a great course.

TH

Jeff_Mingay

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2009, 03:48:50 PM »
This transformation of California Golf Club is remarkable... a very special project involving a bunch of talented and dedicated individuals. Though I haven't visited the course in person yet, I'm fortunate to call Mark Thawley, George Waters and Josh Smith friends. I've followed this project closely, and I'm stunned by the outstanding results.

Congratulations to all involved. Hopefully California Golf Club will become an inspiration to other clubs with similar potential. 
jeffmingay.com

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2009, 03:55:40 PM »
I played it a few months ago and its a wonderful piece of work.  The bunkers are like art.  

This little section of San Francisco is a case study for golf courses and renovations and restorations.  Two have done it correctly and others have not.  It just goes to show that if you hire a world class architect, who has a vision, along with a great superintendent who also has a vision and a membership that appreciates and understands architecture you come out with a product that is world class.

Tom Yost

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2009, 04:22:00 PM »
Google's satellite view has captured it mid-renovation it appears.

K. Krahenbuhl

« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2009, 04:29:02 PM »
Ran,

Great job on the profile.  I was drooling over it last night.  Cal Club is a place that I can't wait to see.  It looks every bit as good as any other course in the area and that is saying a lot.

Tim Leahy

« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2009, 04:39:31 PM »
Cal Club, next years Kings Putter? ;D
I love golf, the fightin irish, and beautiful women depending on the season and availability.

Jed Peters

« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2009, 04:52:30 PM »
I'm excited to visit this Club next Thursday with two other GCA'ers!
 ;D

Kyle Henderson

« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2009, 04:55:24 PM »
I'm excited to visit this Club next Thursday with two other GCA'ers!
 ;D

We're excited for you!
"I always knew terrorists hated us for our freedom. Now they love us for our bondage." -- Stephen T. Colbert discusses the popularity of '50 Shades of Grey' at Gitmo

Adam_Messix

« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2009, 04:57:46 PM »
From the pictures, the look of the Cal Club has changed rather dramatically.  Besides the obvious bunker changes and the new holes, it looks like there were a lot of trees removed.  I seem to remember the course be rather heavily treed, what's there now looks awesome. 

RJ_Daley

« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2009, 06:53:09 PM »
Ran certainly has ever improved in his turn of classic golf phrases.  What an enjoyable read!

I was particularly interested to read that Mark Thawley had some hand in the teamwork there.  Mark was a rare but early contributor to this whole GCA discussion network as a new L.A. student out of (I think AZ state).  He was immediatley very interested in the discussion of the ODGs it seemed, and now he has taken his interests and acquired knowledge to a place where real impact on the art of GCA can be appreciated for many years to come.  He worked early on just after school, living in a trailer and working as an assistant at a Lohmann project near here in WI.  Then, I think he moved on with Harbottle to CA.  Now, I'm not sure if he is a floater gun for hire, or permanently with Phillips.  But, we all like to see an original enthusiastic student of these golf discussion groups get up in the world and apply his sensibilities so finely.   ;D

I'm very glad to see the well written piece by Ran, particularly as he spare no words to give great credit to the likes of the whole team, Mrrs. Franz and Waters, included. 

Also, to continue to be a bit of a homer, Olliphant has a Madison WI connection.  I beleieve he did the Nicklaus remodel work of the par 3 at Pebble and has a pretty big resume of projects that don't seem to get discussed much in terms of his construction company input.  Man, what a collaboration he struck with the use of the permanent crew at Cal Club!

All hail to Kyle Phillips, what a project architect leader, what a great team, what a result! :o ;D 8)

No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Jed Peters

« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2009, 06:59:03 PM »

All hail to Kyle Phillips, what a project architect leader, what a great team, what a result! :o ;D 8)

Maybe I'm just a homer as well....but Phillips, in my opinion, is one of the best out there.

I'm extremely excited to play Cal.

Carl Nichols

« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2009, 07:06:41 PM »
WOW.

Out of a lot of very cool looking holes, 11 looks really cool -- first you get the view of 18 behind 11, then as you turn left, you get the view of the clubhouse (which itself is quite stunning) behind/above 11. 

Jeff_Mingay

« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2009, 07:49:52 PM »
RJ,

Mark Thawley is a full-time associate of Kyle Phillips.
jeffmingay.com

Dave_Miller

« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2009, 08:08:58 PM »
Ran says it's arguably in the top 5 of our state... think about what that means.

While I'm not sure I can get it to those lofty heights, well.. at least he's not crazy.  It's definitely arguable.

It is one hell of a great course.

TH

Huckster:
The key word here is "arguably".  I have been fortunate to have the opportunity to play there many times over the years. To me it was always a great course.  Admittedly the Club does not have the strength of Olympic in the par 4's but not many do.
Top 5 not sure but top 10 or 15 absolutely.
Happy New Year
Best
Dave

David Stamm

« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2009, 09:47:50 PM »
Great write up, Ran! And well done Kyle! The course looks absolutely magnificent!!! What a special looking place!
"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2009, 10:19:42 PM »
Ran,

It's unfortunate that your golf game doesn't come close to matching your observation and writing skills, which are brilliant.

I now understand why you've elected to enroll in a golfer's protection program on the west coast, thereby avoiding any potential golf matches on the east coast or Florida.

There's really something special about MacKenzie's bunkering isn't there.
It's a unique art form unto itself.

Kyle Phillips is to be complemented for a remarkable job.

But, we'd be remiss if we didn't sing the praises of the visionary behind the project, Al Jamieson.  He's the person responsible for bringing the project from concept to reality.  Those familiar with club politics know how difficult that process can be.  Al Jamieson should take great pride in what he's accomplished.

If I return to the San Francisco area, I'd sure like to play the California Club, it looks rather special, and your write-up seems to confirm the outstanding nature of the golf course.

Other clubs might want to use the California Club as exhibit "A" when considering any work on their golf course.

Thanks for the great write up and please thank Kyle and Al for the exceptional product they produced.

Scott Stambaugh

« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2009, 10:28:20 PM »
For all (maybe mostly Jeff Mingay)

Macan is credited for the original placement of greens/greenside bunkers.  To me, the rebuilt bunkers look more like MacKenzie-type bunkers than Macan. 

Does anyone know if the bunker style was modeled after one or the other?

SS

David Stamm

« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2009, 10:37:51 PM »

Macan is credited for the original placement of greens/greenside bunkers.  To me, the rebuilt bunkers look more like MacKenzie-type bunkers than Macan. 

SS

Scott, if you read the profile again, I beleive Ran stated the club hired MacKenzie to redo the bunkers and the club decided to go with Kyle's proposal of bringing that style back. He's done a great job and there is no mistaking the influence. Bell is the only other architect that was close to producing such a stunning look like MacKenzie's.
"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

Bill_McBride

« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2009, 10:42:25 PM »

SS

Scott, I don't know if there is a Macan bunker style.  Most of his existing courses have been extensively redone, including Columbia Edgewater in Portland where I was a member.   

Thanks,
Bill

John Handley

« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2009, 10:52:11 PM »
Ran-

Sorry I missed you when you were at the Cal Club.  The profile is outstanding and I can speak for the membership that we are proud of what we have in the golf course.  Kyle Phillips and his team did a brilliant job, Thomas Bastis and his team have busted their asses and the leadership of the club has made the Cal Club something very special.  It is a physical challenge as well as a mental challenge to get around the golf course with the fewest amount of mistakes made.  The golf course gives you nothing, it is all earned.  I hope those on this board who appreciate the game of golf and architecture get a chance to experience the Cal Club.  You won't be disappointed.

John
2024 Line Up: Spanish Oaks GC, Cal Club, Cherokee Plantation, Huntercombe, West Sussex, Hankley Common, Royal St. Georges, Sunningdale New & Old, CC of the Rockies, Royal Lytham, Royal Birkdale, Formby, Royal Liverpool, Swinley Forest, St. George's Hill, Berkshire Red, Walton Heath Old, Austin GC

Scott Stambaugh

« Reply #24 on: January 06, 2009, 10:55:06 PM »

SS

Scott, I don't know if there is a Macan bunker style.  Most of his existing courses have been extensively redone, including Columbia Edgewater in Portland where I was a member.   

Thanks,
Bill

I would agree on your modern-day observation.  Most of his courses have been redone (i.e. ruined) and there is nothing left resembling his style.

But, of the few photos of the Golden-Age Macan courses (Inglewood, Colwood, Fircrest) a certain 'style' is evident.

For a reference- think Wine Valley with grass faces...

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back