News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Deucie Bies

Re: deltona hills worth a look......
« Reply #25 on: January 07, 2009, 09:29:24 PM »

Back in the '80's (when I played there periodically in college), it was 18 holes of unmemorable golf. Nobody would EVER have a reason to go play there if given a choice, unless they lived in the neighborhood. Given what the course was originally, it's a truly amazing transformation.

I disagree.  I've always considered Deltona Hills one of the better layouts in the area, and I'm yet to see it since the improvements.  The course offers great variety through a simple routing on a great piece of property.  It once was a landfill.

Doug, I'll admit it was a low-end facility, but the course was pretty solid.  I think you sell it way short.

John:

I'll agree that is was one of the better layouts in the Greater Orange City/Deltona/Deland/DeLeon Springs Research Quadrangle :)

I can see where you are coming from, but I don't think people back then (remember, I'm talking 20-25 years ago) would have distinguished it to be that far above the rest in the area to make a 30 minute drive. There wasn't anything particularly special about it, other than the terrain around there is different than traditional Florida golf. Maybe I was a bit harsh saying NOBODY would make a special trip to go see it, but you hopefully get my point (which is essentially that the renovation is a HUGE upgrade). When you looked at others in the immediate area at the time (Southridge, Glen Abbey, The Monastery), I don't think it was a standout by typical measures, i.e. normal people, not just us. A lot of people in Orlando wouldn't know it existed.

Regards,

Sobe

I have lived in Orlando for 4 years now and never knew it existed.  The pictures make me want to go play it.  I also need to make it over to Sugarloaf Mountain.  I guess I don't like to branch out of my little bubble!

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #26 on: January 07, 2009, 09:34:27 PM »
Jeff,

It was $44 last week  for all day play and now with the clubhouse opening, I expect it to climb a little. I know the rough numbers. The owner carved out 200 condos of 55+ housing from the old course next to the range. Assuming he can get to the other side of this market, he will be fine. I am told there is no debt on the property so he just has to cover his nut for the time being.

If you want a fancy clubhouse or a quiet cart, it may not be for that player.

I want this course to survive because it is that good. When the condos get built, I will probably bail to the next one.  :D

Mike Tanner

« Reply #27 on: January 07, 2009, 09:54:44 PM »
Isn't this course built on the same underlying sand barrens that runs across Florida to World Woods Golf Club in Brookesville?
Mike T.
Life's too short to waste on bad golf courses or bad wine.

John_Conley

« Reply #28 on: January 08, 2009, 12:21:17 AM »
Isn't this course built on the same underlying sand barrens that runs across Florida to World Woods Golf Club in Brookesville?
Mike T.

Prolly not.  My understanding is that it sits atop an old landfill.  There's a nice sand ridge from Jupiter Hills up to Sebastian where you'll find John's Island West.  That's on the E coast.

The other ridge runs from Lake Wales (Bok Tower, Mountain Lake) up through Davenport (Highlands Reserve) to Mission Inn and maybe even Ocala.  I'm no geologist, but I don't think the Deltona landform is the same as Brooksville to the W.

Brad Fleischer

« Reply #29 on: January 08, 2009, 01:02:15 AM »
Mike

You killed me with the condo info. Oh well I will just have to enjoy it untill than. At least I found a new place to play within 45 min from the parents house in palm coast. Great last pic !! That say's it in a nut shell.

Jeff

No disrespect but 35 with cart I will take all day long and twice on sunday. Come pay me a visit ,we will go play, see what it costs for what your playing and than we will talk ;).

Ron

7 deltona 3 victoria

Sean_A

« Reply #30 on: January 08, 2009, 03:45:15 AM »
Well I didn't look for a while!  You guessed it, the bunkering is well ott, but a great improvement on the rather dull as dish water bunkering that is shown in the older pix.  Be fair though boys, these things are really designed for the exact response you lot gave, but for $44 how can one complain?  I certainly give it a go if I were in the area.

Ciao

Still Waiting For An Archie To Make A Statement Without Hazards
« Last Edit: January 08, 2009, 03:47:44 AM by Sean Arble »
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #31 on: January 08, 2009, 04:32:30 AM »
Mike T.

Prolly not.  My understanding is that it sits atop an old landfill.  There's a nice sand ridge from Jupiter Hills up to Sebastian where you'll find John's Island West.  That's on the E coast.

The other ridge runs from Lake Wales (Bok Tower, Mountain Lake) up through Davenport (Highlands Reserve) to Mission Inn and maybe even Ocala.  I'm no geologist, but I don't think the Deltona landform is the same as Brooksville to the W.

According to Wikipedia in reference to Deltona geography:

"The majority of the land encompassing the city is comprised of Karst topography. Eons ago, when ocean levels were higher Deltona was much closer to the sea shore. The ancient sand dunes and the foliage that adapted there are now an ecosystem that is quickly becoming scarce in Florida because of development. This landscape dominated on the surface by sand hills and sand pine scrub while below its surface limestone and sandy soils work to filter rainfall as it becomes groundwater and part of Florida's unique hydrological system.

In 1962 the Mackle brothers bought 17,203 acres, filed for a planned unit development with 35,143 lots and named the area Deltona. The first Deltona residents arrived in April 1963."

________________________________________________________-

The old course was opened in 1964. Even back then, water was valuable in Florida. With the land movement and the amount of sand that Bobby Weed spoke to me about, it just seems unreasonable for this to have been a landfill. Houses run all through the course in the aerial and in the modern era, it would be near impossible to now get permitting for 200+ condos on top of a landfill.

John Conley where did you get your information?

Sean Arble,

I told you not to look!

Tom Doak is on record here a number of times that he would like to build a bunkerless course. When are you going to fund him and his statement course?

Sean_A

« Reply #32 on: January 08, 2009, 04:41:20 AM »
Sean Arble,

I told you not to look!

Tom Doak is on record here a number of times that he would like to build a bunkerless course. When are you going to fund him and his statement course?

Mike

It might be a lot easier for an archie to build (not necessarily bunkerless) a Statement Course if folks stopped oooooogling over bunkers - no?

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #33 on: January 08, 2009, 04:50:57 AM »

Mike

It might be a lot easier for an archie to build (not necessarily bunkerless) a Statement Course if folks stopped oooooogling over bunkers - no?

Ciao

Sounds like telling people to buy a GM car during a turnaround. Spiritually. I agree but if GM/the golf architect don't build something that people REALLY prefer over Toyota/a course with bunkers, it is just wasting money. Personally, I am finishing with the era of wasting money. If you can fund Tom, I am sure he will give it a go.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2009, 04:56:30 AM by Mike Sweeney »

Sean_A

« Reply #34 on: January 08, 2009, 05:10:40 AM »

Mike

Ciao

Sounds like telling people to buy a GM car during a turnaround. Spiritually. I agree but if GM/the golf architect don't build something that people REALLY prefer over Toyota/a course with bunkers, it is just wasting money. Personally, I am finishing with the era of wasting money. If you can fund Tom, I am sure he will give it a go.

Mike

Give it time my friend.  Old reputations die hard.  I have faith that eventually, folks will figure out that the building of loads of bunkers IS the waste of money.  Besides, we have bunker pushing firms out there that will eventually tire of building so many of the things and I reckon they will have enough clout to push through a minimal bunker designed course from the top down.  Who would have of thought Bandon was possible? 

BTW As I say, old reps die hard.  I have owned two GMs and they have been as good as anything I owned.  I wouldn't mind buying another another if I could find a decent looking one.  In fact, I have never owned a non-American car that was as good as the American counterparts!  That said, the American cars I now buy are really only an American badged cars and are Euro designed - tee hee. 

Ciao

Mark Bourgeois

« Reply #35 on: January 08, 2009, 09:05:52 AM »
The writeup says all they had to do was scrape off the turf layer. Plus, the bunkers contain no rakes.

Are maintenance costs of this arrangement lower than maintained turf?

The real sin IMHO is bunkering a severe terrain or not bunkering a flat terrain.

Cliff Hamm

« Reply #36 on: January 09, 2009, 10:00:18 AM »
Looking for a few days of cheap golf in February.  Deltona Hills looks great and at $45 an incredible bargain.  Have played WW and is a steal at $115 but still interested in DH at less than half the price.  Is there any reason to think this is not the best 'deal' in Florida.  Thinking of 2 days there and one day somewhere else.  Thoughts? 

Jason Connor

« Reply #37 on: January 17, 2009, 07:02:26 PM »
I played there today in a good wind.  I'd say they're the best greens I've played in Florida. The greens were just amazingly good.

Really fun course with some great holes. 

I was a little worried because they had some super thick grass around some of the bunkers.  Fortunately this was aesthetic only in that they didn't do that to bunkers that were in play.

More amusing than anything (this isn't a complaint and I'd recommend anyone check it out) the 10th hole had what I might consider to be the most egregious bunker I've ever seen.  There was a pot bunker on the side of the tee box!

But definitely check it out.  For $45 it's a great time.  And the pro Nathan was very friendly.

We discovered that in good company there is no such thing as a bad golf course.  - James Dodson

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back