News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

JSPayne

Re: Northern California's Best Public and Private
« Reply #75 on: January 06, 2009, 12:28:48 AM »
Nice of you to leave Empire out of that bashing Jed.  ;)

Funny though, most people agree Empire has better conditioning, but prefer the layout of Turkey Creek much more.......I'll withhold comment.  ;D

But I'll count you in......and remember....you, or any GCAer really for that matter, is welcome at Empire anytime. Just give me a call or PM. I'm desperate for playing partners lately since a fellow golfer is about my only motivation to play after working all morning through cold and frost!
"To be nobody but yourself in a world which is doing it's best, night and day, to make you everybody else means to fight the hardest battle any human being can fight; and never stop fighting." -E.E. Cummings

Tim Leahy

« Reply #76 on: January 06, 2009, 01:29:20 PM »
I loved Cache Creek and have played all Brad's other creations with the exception of his modifications at Catta Verdera. I would be interested in asking him some questions on his designs.
I love golf, the fightin irish, and beautiful women depending on the season and availability.

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #77 on: January 06, 2009, 04:05:27 PM »
Has anyone played the new TPC San Francisco Bay - Stonebrae?  It would make anyones top 10 private list in Northern California.

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #78 on: January 06, 2009, 04:08:13 PM »
Has anyone played the new TPC San Francisco Bay - Stonebrae?  It would make anyones top 10 private list in Northern California.

Joel:  I have played it twice - once for NCGA rating, one other time just for fun.  It is an interesting course for sure; great views, pretty darn tough.  We had some threads about it in here.

BUT... I guess I must not be anyone, as I can't get it into my Top 10 private list in NorCal.

TH

Anthony Butler

« Reply #79 on: January 06, 2009, 04:19:01 PM »

Cheers,
Dan King
Until recently, all I had to do to get a look around a golf course was walk in the front door and tell them I worked for Pete Dye. But in Northern California, that approach only gets you a look of sympathy. because the only Pete Dye course they're familiar with is Carmel Valley Ranch, the most preposterous course Peter ever built.
 --Tom Doak

Dan,

Leslie and I walked our two Labs from the house to the Carmel Valley Ranch,  which is less than a mile away, then up the tenth fairway across to the Holt Road gate and down to the valley floor.

There is no doubt about it, the back nine of the Ranch leaves something to be desired. However, I heard that Dye said to Gerald Barton, President of landmark Land, the developers that he could build them a world class nine hole course, but not an eighteen. Barton wanted and paid for an eighteen holer, got it and the course has disappointed ever since.

Bob
[/quote]

The only design kudos for Carmel Valley Ranch belongs to whoever designed the rooms at the resort. They are fabulous.

Cypress Point is by far the best course in No. Cal. Pebble has 7 great holes-or another way to look at it-approximately one per hour.

Next!

David Ober

« Reply #80 on: January 06, 2009, 09:57:58 PM »
it's hard for me to imagine Lake Merced not getting more credit, it is a really good, tough golf course, great membership (it was better, of course, a few years ago when I was there lol), and world class food.

Mike,

I agree. Lake Merced does deserve more credit--and I need to get out there again to have another go-round to "take in" more of the atmosphere.

It's hosting the State Am this year, too....

David Botimer

« Reply #81 on: January 07, 2009, 12:17:47 AM »
How about the simplistic Pacific Grove Muny? Is there a sportier bargain in NOCAL golf? The KP day there was a great choice last April. Top 10 ? probably not but a must if you are looking for a fun little track for a quick round.           Jack

Had the misfortune of playing it this August.  Back 9 still great fun, but the front 9 greens had chemical burn which made them virtually unplayable.  Hopefully they are back to playable.

Adam Clayman

« Reply #82 on: January 07, 2009, 12:25:24 AM »
David, The real story about Pacific Grove is one of golfs greatest (and saddest) ironies.

"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

David Botimer

« Reply #83 on: January 07, 2009, 12:36:40 AM »
Even WITH puttable greens on the front nine, PG Muni doesn't belong on anyone's top 10 list.  Perhaps on a 9 hole list?!  I've always enjoyed playing the back 9.

Adam Clayman

« Reply #84 on: January 07, 2009, 12:45:32 AM »
PG Muni doesn't belong on anyone's top 10 list. 

That's a preposterous statement.

People are free to prefer to whatever they want.

As for the GCA, it's all it ever needs to be. Most of the crap that gets passed around for quality does not hold a candle to that 5900 yard gem, flaws and all.
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

David Botimer

« Reply #85 on: January 07, 2009, 01:18:40 AM »
PG Muni doesn't belong on anyone's top 10 list. 

That's a preposterous statement.

People are free to prefer to whatever they want.

As for the GCA, it's all it ever needs to be. Most of the crap that gets passed around for quality does not hold a candle to that 5900 yard gem, flaws and all.

Good job on parsing my statement and missing the point.  It's a great 9 hole course, just like my previous statement read.  I lived there 2 years and 70% of my rounds were at PG.  And if I could have skipped the front 9 and played only the back it'd been 90%.

Adam Clayman

« Reply #86 on: January 07, 2009, 08:28:56 AM »
I lived there for 6 years and clocked well over 1000 rounds. The front has the ability to grow on you and appreciate it for what it is. If for no other reason than in anticipation of the back nine.

JSPayne

« Reply #87 on: January 07, 2009, 09:05:08 AM »
I have to side with the FOR PG muni group......though I agree it couldn't break my top ten.

And I have to agree with Adam. The front 9 definetley grows on you a bit. I actually consider some of the shot making decisions on the front better than the back. The actual condition and style of the holes may not be top notch, but I love holes where you have to make a decision and have opportunities to be bold (typical risk reward).

Coming to mind are the short par 4 with the green over and down the hill blind, where many, even a not-so-long ball hitter, could attempt to drive the green, but risk bunkers, houses on the right, and the road immediately behind. I also enjoy the longer par 4 coming back in, dogleg right, where you can take the straight line out but may need to hold back a bit to avoid the trees, or get agressive shaping it around the corner to the right. And a hole that is not that spectacular but always gets to me is #9, the par three tucked in a narrow corridor that requires a moderately long, ACCURATE tee shot that you hopefully don't blade into the new clubhouse or take out one of the innocent bystanders waiting to begin their round.

They're not the BEST holes I've ever played, but I've only played there less than half a dozen times and as you can see, they were memorable and exciting enough for me to remember them, and the feelings I encountered while playing them.

And the back 9 truly is one of the most unique 9 holes you will find of that style in California. Which is why I recommend the course to anyone that happens to be in the area or just passing through. It'll never be anyone's favorite I don't think, but it's better than half the cookie cutter, run-of-the-mill munis people are forced to play in other parts of the state/country.
"To be nobody but yourself in a world which is doing it's best, night and day, to make you everybody else means to fight the hardest battle any human being can fight; and never stop fighting." -E.E. Cummings

Jed Peters

« Reply #88 on: January 07, 2009, 01:29:44 PM »
PG is fun, and I like the front.

But it doesn't make my top 10, no way no how.

I will say this though--I'd play there over any other publics in the monterey area if I'm payin'.

Richard Boult

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back