News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Adam Sherer

Superintendents?
« on: January 05, 2009, 05:10:58 PM »
How many superintendents are registered on gca.com? 

Off the top of my head, I can think of a few that post somewhat regularly.  But, I would like to hear more from them and what they have going on at their clubs (which may be a sticky subject) and moreover, how they handle the maintenance of the old courses (assuming that they are employed by a "golden era" club). 

We always talk about the designs of Ross, Macdonald, Flynn, Colt, et al but we never hear what it's like to maintain their creations on a day-to-day basis. 
"Spem successus alit"
 (success nourishes hope)

- Ross clan motto

Eric Johnson

Re: Superintendents?
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2009, 06:05:54 PM »
Without research, I would guess about 50 Superintendents are registered. 

Many more lurk....

For obvious reasons.........

Adam Sherer

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2009, 07:42:07 PM »
50 is actually more than I was thinking, but you may be right Eric.

Roll call anyone?
"Spem successus alit"
 (success nourishes hope)

- Ross clan motto

Anthony_Nysse

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2009, 09:34:28 PM »
Adam,
  Though not considered an old course, but now 28 years old, Long Cove had certain things we had to do yearly to keep the course in Pete Dye fashion. With the demand for well edged bunkers and everyday raking, the orginaly bunker lines had a tendency to change. Whether the edge made for a slight lip or the sand was blown out of bunkers, we tried to keep the "floors" of the bunker flat and the surrounds and banks only grass. Occasionally, in the smaller bunkers, where players hit exploded the sand out near the same place, over time, we had to cut out and resod these areas because there wasnt any grass left or we had severe LDS. We seemed to redo the practice bunkers every year. We would do 6-8 every summer.

Tony Nysse
Asst. Supt.
Colonial CC
Ft. Worth, TX

Anthony J. Nysse
Director of Golf Courses & Grounds
Apogee Club
Hobe Sound, FL

Adam Sherer

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2009, 10:39:17 PM »
Anthony,

And what about Colonial?  I have nothing but GREAT things to say about Keith Foster, but overall what is it like taking care of CCC as a Maxwell course? Is there anything that exists in the routing, bunkering, strategy that effects maintenance?

Adam
"Spem successus alit"
 (success nourishes hope)

- Ross clan motto

Anthony_Nysse

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2009, 07:45:43 AM »
Adam,
  Mr. Foster is a stud, simply put. He doesn't like all the attention-its about the golf course and those working around him. A very special individual.
  as for taking care of a "Maxwell" course-Thats the misconception of Colonial. Maxwell was to assist Bredemus, and then Maxwell came back and redid #3-#5 for the '41 Open
 Mr. Marvin Leonard engaged John Bredemus of Texas and Perry Maxwell of Oklahoma to assist with the course layout by asking each to submit five alternative plans for the course. After reviewing their recommendations, he asked them to submit five more from which Mr. Leonard began picking and borrowing from both designers to create the Colonial design.
  Adam, with the work that was done this past summer in the short timeframe, we will have some "bugs" to figure out in regards to how to maintain certain things. One thing that was built into the renovation of C3 is the relationship between the fairway lines and fairway bunkers. All the fairway intermediates are intended to fall "into" the bunker edges, similar to how Southen Hills mows their fairways 'into" the bunker edges for the 2007 PGA.

Tony Nysse
Asst. Supt.
Colonial CC
Ft. Worth, TX
« Last Edit: January 06, 2009, 09:58:48 AM by Anthony_Nysse »
Anthony J. Nysse
Director of Golf Courses & Grounds
Apogee Club
Hobe Sound, FL

JSPayne

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2009, 08:38:55 AM »
I'll chime in as a GCA Super....a new one at that with almost a year under my belt now. My courses is no where near the "oldies but goodies" we like to discuss on here being only 8 years old. But I did have the privilege to work at Meadow Club, MacKenzie's first US design, albeit as a greenskeeper/intern only. I learned a ton there, but GCAer Sean Tully is more adept to answer questions about the long term maintenance of the property.

Should anyone have specific questions that I may be able to answer though, here is my VERY abbreviated resume:

Dairy Creek GC, San Luis Obispo - Student Intern
Poppy Hills, Pebble Beach - NCGA Summer Intern
Meadow Club, Fairfax - NCGA Intern
Sharon Heights G&CC, Menlo Park - Asst. Superintendent
Sierra View CC, Roseville - Asst. Superintendent
Empire Ranch GC, Folsom - Superindentendent

All in beautiful California. :)
"To be nobody but yourself in a world which is doing it's best, night and day, to make you everybody else means to fight the hardest battle any human being can fight; and never stop fighting." -E.E. Cummings

Greg Chambers

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2009, 09:04:08 AM »
Adam,

I am a superintendent in Colorado.  My course is fairly new, having opened in 2002.  I have been here since the construction.  The course is a Tripp Davis design, and he did a great job with a relatively restricted site. 

A couple of things we've been working on to enhance playability:

1.  We've changed a lot of fairway mowing lines, bringing fairways right into bunkers, bringing bunkers into play, making golfers really think about their tee shots, as well as approaches.  Some of these new fairway areas have created entirely new angles of approach into some greens, angles that were not there when those areas were thick rough.

2.  We've begun phasing into an organic approach to fertility and cultivation.  We've reduced fertilizer and pesticide inputs dramatically, as well as reduced the amount of irrigation we put on the turf.  We have a much more aggressive thatch removal and topdressing program, leading to healthier overall turf, as well as firm and smooth conditions.

3.  The above has begun a transition into an overall fast and firm maintenance program.  Areas that have been over irrigated in the past have been identified, and addressed through adjusting of the irrigation scheduling.  We've been much more tolerant of brown spots on the course (although our members are still trying to grasp this concept) rather than just trying to keep everything emerald green.

The above changes have really brought out the architectural features throughout the course.  It's not a long course, only 7k at 8000 feet, so its defense is bunkering and strategy around the greens.  These features have been enhanced by the fairway changes and the firmness of the course.  We plan to keep moving in this direction, and I'm not quite sure at what point I'll be entirely satisfied with the process, but it sure has been a lot of fun to do.

JS,

Dairy Creek, I'm assuming you're a Poly grad?  I grew up in SLO, both my parents and my sister are Poly grads, however, I'm not, having moved to CO just out of high school.
"It's good sportsmanship to not pick up lost golf balls while they are still rolling.”

Bill_McBride

« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2009, 09:33:10 AM »
  Adam, with the work that was done this past summer in the short timeframe, we will have some "bugs" to figure out in regards to how to maintain certain things. One thing that was built into the renovation of C3 is the relationship between the fairway lines and fairway bunkers. All the fairway intermediates are intended to fall "into" the bunker edges, similar to how Southen Hills mows their fairways 'into" the bunker edges for the 2007 PGA.

Tony, that is so refreshing to hear.  Ever since the Bethpage Open, I have this nightmare of all the "fairway" bunkers looking like islands of sand surrounded by deep rough.  >:(  Congratulations on achieving a maintenance plan where fairways actually run into the bunkers.

Here's the model to me:

RDecker

« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2009, 10:08:24 AM »
I'm a Super at a 1895 vintage 9 holer in the Beautiful Berkshires here in Massachusetts.  Mr. Ross redid the place in 1927 and because of economics at the club it hasn't really been touched.  Taking care of an old course requires a delicate hand at times and a commitment to either eradicate poa or admire the tenacity of 80 or 90 year old plants that have actually morphed from being a supposed annual grass to being perennial and quite hardy.  I'd say that as with most supers on old, clay/native soil based courses drainage is the biggest challenge every year.  I do sometimes like to stop and admire the beauty of my office and feel lucky for being able to work on a living, breathing masterpiece.

JSPayne

« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2009, 02:28:41 PM »
Greg,

Yup, I'm a grad of the Cal Poly five year program. Switched majors half way through though.....don't think anyone will guess what my previous major was unless they really searched or I happened to mention it on here sometime before.

Sad though that Cal Poly is one of a few very turf schools on the West Coast, and a program that, at least when I was attending, was still lacking in overall quality over many of the Midwest and Eastern contenders. It always struck me as odd seeing as how you'd think the sheer number of courses in the Western states should yeild to producing more new superintendents than having to bring in all these people from way outside the region that are often unfamiliar with California's climate and grass growing methods (for lack of a better term). No offense to those CA supers from out of state, but I've always hoped at some point in my career I could help somehow build a stronger offering of turf education on the West Coast.

We'll see if that ever comes to pass......I love being a super too much right now to forego it as a professor in a university.
"To be nobody but yourself in a world which is doing it's best, night and day, to make you everybody else means to fight the hardest battle any human being can fight; and never stop fighting." -E.E. Cummings

Eric Johnson

« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2009, 04:21:05 PM »
Sad though that Cal Poly is one of a few very turf schools on the West Coast, and a program that, at least when I was attending, was still lacking in overall quality over many of the Midwest and Eastern contenders. It always struck me as odd seeing as how you'd think the sheer number of courses in the Western states should yeild to producing more new superintendents than having to bring in all these people from way outside the region that are often unfamiliar with California's climate and grass growing methods (for lack of a better term). No offense to those CA supers from out of state, but I've always hoped at some point in my career I could help somehow build a stronger offering of turf education on the West Coast.

We'll see if that ever comes to pass......I love being a super too much right now to forego it as a professor in a university.

There is strong turf education in the West, Pacific Northwest that is.  Oregon State University and Washington State University have solid turf programs.  Although one program (like the football program) is vastly superior to the other ;)

Damon DiGiorgio

« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2009, 10:11:15 PM »
Long time lurker, recent member and first time poster:

Damon Di Giorgio
Golf Course Superintendent
The Faldo Legacy Course at Roco Ki Golf Club
Macao Beach, Dominican Republic

JSPayne

« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2009, 10:15:02 PM »
Welcome Damon!

Tom Jefferson

« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2009, 10:33:41 PM »
Welcome, Damon!

I am the lurker down the hall from Eric Johnson!  He and Ken Nice are, well, nice to me and keep me around Bandon Dunes for two reasons; 1) I fill in the cribbage game each lunch, and 2) I am the seniorish citizen of all of us, and the easy target for all their childish humor!!!

I became a supt. at Bidwell Park Golf Course in Chico, Ca., in 1982, and have been joyously suffering ever since.  11 years there, working for a small management company led by Jim Summers, who, in developing work for us, did some design work in Northern California, including Mt. Shasta Resort.  I got a complete education at Bidwell, attempting to manage 3500 sq.ft. pushup greens and 80,000 rounds annually.
My family and I moved to Mt. Shasta  in 1993 and I helped build that beautiful little course, then stayed as superintendent for 11 more years.
The sirens of Bandon Dunes lured me here in 2004, where I have been having the time of my life.........putting up with Eric, as well as managing all the landscape that isn't these four great courses.

Always lurking, always listening, and still attempting to play the blessed game!

Tom
the pres

RJ_Daley

« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2009, 11:57:35 PM »
Wow, a long time lurker from an exotic place!  Welcome Damon!  ;D 8)

Not that Bandon isn't exotic...  ;)
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Mat Dunmyer

« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2009, 12:54:41 AM »
Present-

Mat Dunmyer
Rock Creek Cattle Company
Deer Lodge, Montana
Tom Doak

Prior Superintendent at Sonoma Golf Club
Sam Whiting

Also spent time at Lahontan Golf Club (Weiskopf), The Park Country Club of Buffalo (Colt & Allison), and a few others
« Last Edit: January 08, 2009, 01:12:19 AM by Mat Dunmyer »

Eric Morrison

« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2009, 07:21:38 AM »
Eric Morrison
Shennecossett Golf Course
Groton, CT
Founded 1898 - Donald Ross redesign 1916
1997- renovation by Mungeam
11 original holes remain, 4 "new" holes, 3 "altered" holes

I have really dug into the history of our course, and that is what led me to want to learn about GCA, and brought me to this site...maintaing Shenny is like maintaining 2 courses:13 original Ross soil based greens, and 7 sand based greens. Utilizing old photos to expand fairways, recapture original green space, restore bunkering, and remove certain trees has been my focus over the years to try and capture the essence of what the course used to look and play like. Being a muni, trying to create great playability with limited budget is always the big challenge...
It is what it is.

Tom Jefferson

« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2009, 07:36:54 AM »
Adam, are you a supt?

If so, we are up to 10 supts. in this informal roll call.

Drizzly on the Oregon coast this early morning.

Tom
the pres

Nick Cauley

« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2009, 07:42:52 AM »
Present-

Nick Cauley
Assistant Superintendent
Squire Creek CC
Choudrant, La

Previous assistant job

Preston Trail GC
Dallas, Tx

Bill_McBride

« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2009, 08:42:13 AM »
Adam, are you a supt?

If so, we are up to 10 supts. in this informal roll call.

Drizzly on the Oregon coast this early morning.

Tom

Tom, did Bandon get any snow when Portland was buried in 12"?  My daughter and granddaughter were lucky to get out the Sunday before Christmas on one of only two flights that were able to leave Portland that day!

Happy New Year!

JSPayne

« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2009, 09:11:10 AM »
Tom,

If you check out this older thread, the poll generated 15 votes for Golf Course Maintenance as users of this forum. If we've got 10 signing in already on this thread, we may be pretty close. Unless there are alot more lurkers out there!  :)

http://golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,32965.0.html

Actually, I'm a little surprised that out of 2000 members only 15 of them would be representatives of the maintenance industry who are interested in GCA or know about this site. I have to admit, there was a time I knew absolutely nothing about architecture.....now I think at least a basic understanding and ability to converse about it should be a mandatory part of the job description!! I may even add "Member of GolfClubAtlas.com" to my resume!! Who knows......could land me a job or at least strike up an interesting interview topic! (Kinda like when I sometimes add that I am fluent in Swedish!  ;D)

Ryan DeMay

« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2009, 09:46:33 AM »
Present -

Ryan DeMay

Superintendent at Kinsale Golf and Fitness Club (Arthur Hills) outside of Columbus, Ohio that opened in 2004.  I have been here since 2004 as an assistant and then was promoted last year to superintendent.

Prior to Kinsale I was an assistant at Avalon Lakes Golf Course (Pete Dye/Liddy).

Craig Sweet

« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2009, 10:01:35 AM »
Mat...how's the elk situation at Rock Creek this winter?
LOCK HIM UP!!!

Damon DiGiorgio

« Reply #24 on: January 08, 2009, 10:40:59 AM »
Interesting note.  Mat Dunmyer and I are located about 4,000 miles apart.  But, we both worked as assistant superintendents at the same golf course in Northern California.  Not at the same time though.  Also, I spent a weekend afternoon helping him repair a fence in his backyard.  Still waiting for repayment.... ;D

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back