News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

David Stamm

Article on Australia, MacKenzie by Lloyd Cole
« on: January 05, 2009, 10:36:25 AM »
"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

John Chilver-Stainer

Re: Article on Australia, MacKenzie by Lloyd Cole
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2009, 12:45:28 PM »
Very entertaining article - some people have it good ;).

It reinforces my desire to visit aussie one day

Jeff_Mingay

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2009, 12:56:07 PM »
Lloyd,

This is an exceptionally well-written, entertaining piece. I enjoyed it very, very much.

Thanks for the link, David.
jeffmingay.com

Neil_Crafter

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2009, 02:43:15 PM »
Congrats Lloyd on a very readable and interesting article. You definitely have a knack for writing - have you ever tried writing songs?  ;)

Jeff_Lewis

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2009, 03:11:34 PM »
"The bartender at the Prince of Wales looks like Ray Davies wrote “Lola” for her"... undoubtedly the greatest opening line in the history of golf journalism.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2009, 03:42:37 PM »
Good stuff, Lloyd, want to fly on down to Melbourne more than ever!  You are a lucky dog indeed to be able to combine your tours with golf.

Mark Bourgeois

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2009, 05:18:15 PM »
Very well written, Lloyd!  Great stuff on Kingston Heath, sounds like it deserves six stars -- or maybe downgrade the other courses and slot it alone at 5...

Mark

James Bennett

« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2009, 05:32:44 PM »
Great article Lloyd.  You could be a ghost writer for some GCA's, making their Master Plans so more readable and engaging.

Kingston Heath has two prospective immigrant members now - Lloyd Cole and Ed Getka.  It says something about the whole package of the place that one round at the Heath amidst a week of sandbelt quality can elicit such high praise for an ideal member's club.

James B
Bob; its impossible to explain some of the clutter that gets recalled from the attic between my ears. .  (SL Solow)

Neil_Crafter

« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2009, 07:44:57 PM »
James
If I was ever forced to emigrate to La La Land (Victoria) I'd be quite happy as a member of KH as well.
Neil

Tyler Kearns

« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2009, 09:37:59 PM »
Lloyd,

Well written, and a very enjoyable read. I am glad you enjoyed your time touring with 'Clayts' as much as I did, he truly does tell it as he sees it, which is refreshing, and doesn't try to make the subject of golf architecture more complex than it really is.

Your comment about him playing from the "tip of the tips and beyond" made me laugh, as I remember teeing it up with Mike on the 10th at Victoria where he put his tee in the ground between the 1st & 10th teeing grounds, stating that's where the back tee 'should' be. I know that course is in good hands under his guidance.

TK

Paul Carey

« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2009, 09:45:23 PM »
Not to jump on the bandwagon but that was a great piece Lloyd.  It combined a great sense of the architecture with great stories. 

L-O-L-A....just like cherry Cola!

Lloyd_Cole

« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2009, 11:15:26 PM »
Many thanks for the kind words. If there is any credit due for this piece, though, it should go to Tom Dunne who commissioned it and who's editing made it readable.  I'm not sure I knew very much about structuring an essay when I delivered the first draft.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2009, 11:18:03 PM by Lloyd_Cole »

Jason Topp

« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2009, 11:17:09 PM »
Terrific article Lloyd.  Congratulations.

Anthony Butler

« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2009, 04:06:44 PM »
Lloyd. Ditto on the article. Certainly beats the pants off anything you'd read in "Hemispheres" in the plane on the way home.
Next!

Sean Walsh

« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2009, 05:27:01 PM »
Neil,

I think your confusing Melbourne with Sydney  :)

James Bennett

« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2009, 09:24:32 PM »
Neil,

I think your confusing Melbourne with Sydney  :)

I am looking forward to Neil's concise description of Sydney.  Come on Neil!

James B
Bob; its impossible to explain some of the clutter that gets recalled from the attic between my ears. .  (SL Solow)

Mark Bourgeois

« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2009, 09:44:44 PM »
James, I am partial to Bill Bryson's description of Sydney having the intellectual vibrancy of daytime television! Mark

ed_getka

« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2009, 12:10:25 AM »
Lloyd,
    Well done. I don't imagine it takes much editing from what I have seen of your lyrics and your writing.
"Perimeter-weighted fairways", The best euphemism for containment mounding I've ever heard.

Neil_Crafter

« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2009, 05:23:08 AM »
Actually I picked up the phrase "La La Land" from Ian Chappell on the cricket commentary the other day who used it to describe the batting performances of AB De Villiers since the Perth test. Just seemed an appropriate moniker for the Big V. As for Sydney James, perhaps Desolation Row might do, the Dylan fans will know what I mean.
Neil

Terry Thornton

« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2009, 06:32:53 AM »
If you're not living in Sydney, you're camping out.

Lloyd, great article. I keep re-reading your opening paragraph, sensational.

Matthew Mollica

« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2009, 07:08:39 AM »
One might say that if you're living in Sydney - you're camp!

MM
"The truth about golf courses has a slightly different expression for every golfer. Which of them, one might ask, is without the most definitive convictions concerning the merits or deficiencies of the links he plays over? Freedom of criticism is one of the last privileges he is likely to forgo."

Andrew Mitchell

« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2009, 09:47:29 AM »
Excellent article Lloyd, you write essays as well as you write songs.

Your essay, following on from Mark's excellent thread re Royal Melbourne has made me determined to visit the Melbourne sand belt area when I eventually get out to Australia.
2014 to date: not actually played anywhere yet!
Still to come: Hollins Hall; Ripon City; Shipley; Perranporth; St Enodoc

Garland Bayley

« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2009, 11:00:39 AM »
No worries mate, have a nice flight.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

RJ_Daley

« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2009, 12:43:08 PM »
I always like to read the golf essays and travelogues of a non-golf industry player or writer, but one who has some noteriety in another field, be it sports or entertainment.  Just when you think you have a take on a public figure's persona due to their profession, you can get a much more interesting look at them expressing their feelings and observations of a subject for which you may share a similar passion.

Lloyd really does sound like a terrific golf buddy with a keen eye for the architecture, but also a keen eye for the folks surrounding a club. 

I also thought the opening Lola line was one of the best I've read in a while, despite being too dense or not hip enough to get it right on the first take.  Although I may have come close to the essence, my lack of knowledge of YAPCR is sadly lacking.  I thought it was in reference to the lyric:

Her name was Lola, she was a showgirl
With yellow feathers in her hair and a dress cut down to there
She would merengue and do the cha-cha
And while she tried to be a star, Tony always tended bar
Across a crowded floor, they worked from 8 till 4
They were young and they had each other
Who could ask for more?

But, of course some googling and it brought home the real essence of the witty opening hook:

Well I left home just a week before
And I'd never ever kissed a woman before
But Lola smiled and took me by the hand
And said dear boy I'm gonna make you a man

Well I'm not the world's most masculine man
But I know what I am and I'm glad I'm a man
And so is Lola
La-la-la-la Lola la-la-la-la Lola
Lola la-la-la-la Lola la-la-la-la Lola

All the more funny Mr. Cole...  ::) ;) ;D 8)
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Tom Dunne

« Reply #24 on: January 07, 2009, 04:03:19 PM »
I hope this doesn't burst any bubbles, but the truth is Lloyd worked exceptionally hard, over an exceptionally long period of time, to make it look this easy. Writers with such a memorable voice and distinct view of the world are incredibly rare, but the effort still has to be there, and Lloyd went above and beyond in that department. So congratulations are definitely in order.

The only question I have is: Where to next, Lloyd? Call me crazy, but I happen to think the south of France might be a nice choice. I liked the little circuit Alfonso Erhardt outlined in another thread: Chiberta, Biarritz, Hossegor, some fine wine, some good food, some light-hearted fun at the expense of the French.... What's not to like!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back