News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mark Pearce

(OT) Bang that's bad for you.....
« on: January 05, 2009, 08:54:50 AM »
Seems modern drivers are bad for your health: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/7811143.stm.  Someone should tell Matt Ward.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Jon Wiggett

Re: (OT) Bang that's bad for you.....
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2009, 09:38:37 AM »
Maybe the answer to the distance question is to limit the decibels a club is aloud to make ;D

Garland Bayley

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2009, 10:35:42 AM »
Jon,

Great spelling!

Rounds of golf just got longer now that we have to put in earplugs before teeing off!

"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

John Burzynski

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2009, 10:41:33 AM »
Now the USGA will have to study this whole phenomena, and of course place the proper limits on drivers so that they do not exceed a decibel rating that damages hearing.  They have so much on their plate, well with groove studies, loft limitations and the like, this could take years and years. 

Probably your existing 460cc driver will have to be deemed illegal and all future drivers to be made of styrofoam or something a bit quieter.   But it will be Ok to use your existing titanium driver until 2025, unless you are Tiger Woods or other pro, in which case by 2015 you need to switch to a quieter driver.

John Moore II

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2009, 12:15:49 PM »
I can believe that one of those Cobras damaged his ears. Those clubs are crazy loud. Same with the Nike Sumo2 original drivers. Generally though, I would say that most of the drivers you can buy are not so loud that they damage your hearing (I'm no doctor though). I can tell you though that sound is one of the things that I factor in when buying a driver. Even if I hit is good, if I can't stand the look of the club or it sounds terrible, I'll put it back on the rack.

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2009, 01:07:30 PM »
Jon,

Great spelling!

Yes, I thought it was spillt rather gud ;D

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2009, 01:26:02 PM »

Sorry Mark

Can’t hear you with this ringing in my ears, any good with hand signs?

Melvyn

PS  Perhaps the old clubs are better after all  ;)

Kyle Harris

« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2009, 02:04:19 PM »

Sorry Mark

Can’t hear you with this ringing in my ears, any good with hand signs?

Melvyn

PS  Perhaps the old clubs are better after all  ;)

Wait... does this mean you're packing heat?

I've been playing with a Persimmon Driver, it's been great fun.

JohnV

« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2009, 04:10:45 PM »
Beware of the danger of Second Hand Driving.  Don't play with anyone who uses a titanium driver either.

Jim_Kennedy

Re: (OT) Bang that's bad for you..... New
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2009, 04:17:53 PM »
What'd you say John?

edit: lost some text -- I was recently at the range with my son and his .45 caliber rifle produces dbs of 130,  but ear protection lowers this to about 100.

Drivers are loud, but nowhere near the level of  this gun when it goes off.     
« Last Edit: January 05, 2009, 04:33:36 PM by Jim_Kennedy »
"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back