News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mike_Young

Re: Do we take this GCA stuff too seriously???
« Reply #25 on: January 03, 2009, 07:49:30 PM »
MikeY;

Unfortunately with the ODGs we don't get to do that so whatta you gonna do?  ;)

Oh but Tom P....I think some have.... ;D ;D
"just standing on a corner in Winslow Arizona"

Mike Hendren

« Reply #26 on: January 03, 2009, 07:49:59 PM »
Michael,

You know that I love the ODG's and MYF's (Mike Young's Farmers) so the answer is no - BUT there are those among us who take themselves too seriously.

Bogey
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Tom_Doak

« Reply #27 on: January 03, 2009, 07:52:45 PM »
MY:  When we were building Stonewall, I had to have a meeting one day to determine the final greens mix with a superintendent/consultant, the contractor, a project manager who thought he was an architect, and two of the owners.  They started out at an 80/20 mix but then the super/consultant said he'd like to see a bit of topsoil in there too, so then they started trying to figure out if it should be 80/10/10 or 80/15/5 ... eventually someone suggested 80/13/7 at which point I got up and walked out.

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #28 on: January 03, 2009, 07:54:37 PM »
Michael,

You know that I love the ODG's and MYF's (Mike Young's Farmers) so the answer is no - BUT there are those among us who take themselves too seriously.

Bogey

Good point and well put.   
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Mike_Young

« Reply #29 on: January 03, 2009, 07:57:40 PM »
MY:  When we were building Stonewall, I had to have a meeting one day to determine the final greens mix with a superintendent/consultant, the contractor, a project manager who thought he was an architect, and two of the owners.  They started out at an 80/20 mix but then the super/consultant said he'd like to see a bit of topsoil in there too, so then they started trying to figure out if it should be 80/10/10 or 80/15/5 ... eventually someone suggested 80/13/7 at which point I got up and walked out.
You are/were a patient man ;D ;D

Mike_Young

« Reply #30 on: January 03, 2009, 07:58:52 PM »
Michael,

Bogey

Good point and well put.   
Tommy,
You are one of the few that could actually claim to be communicating with the ODG's where I would listen..... ;D ;D

TEPaul

« Reply #31 on: January 03, 2009, 08:00:34 PM »
"........ eventually someone suggested 80/13/7 at which point I got up and walked out."

TomD:

And well you should've walked out at that point! Did I hear you ask why? Well, anybody who has half a brain knows that 80/13/7 is the magic combination and if they don't they should!

Anthony Gray

« Reply #32 on: January 03, 2009, 08:06:36 PM »

Mike,

God Bless You and THank You. In my short time on this site may I say you are the prime example of "The Spirit of the Game". At Holston Hills I never picked up a club. But the time we all spent in the club house together is what makes me want to stay on this site.

I just have one question sir. Can you eat it.

Anthony

Mike_Young

« Reply #33 on: January 03, 2009, 08:10:31 PM »

Mike,

God Bless You and THank You. In my short time on this site may I say you are the prime example of "The Spirit of the Game". At Holston Hills I never picked up a club. But the time we all spent in the club house together is what makes me want to stay on this site.

I just have one question sir. Can you eat it.

Anthony

Anthony...you can eat it but I don't think you will find it in any store.....but....I would have to say yes you can eat it ;D

Eric Smith

« Reply #34 on: January 03, 2009, 08:11:18 PM »

Mike did you leave your shirt in my locker last month?

Mike_Young

« Reply #35 on: January 03, 2009, 08:13:53 PM »

Eric,
I am having those printed monday..that is the best.....what size you wear? ;D
do you have a good picture of the doney you think would work?

Eric Smith

« Reply #36 on: January 03, 2009, 08:15:25 PM »
I'm sending you the file right now. XXL thanks.

Mike_Young

« Reply #37 on: January 03, 2009, 08:16:30 PM »
I'm sending you the file right now. XXL thanks.

you got it....

Bill_McBride

« Reply #38 on: January 03, 2009, 08:18:33 PM »
Rich,

I have seen T shirts saying "Hockey is Life" and "Soccer is Life" but for some odd reason, have never seen a golf shirt proclaiming that.

Jeff,
Look at my quote...

"Life is a game, golf is serious!" I have a little wall hanging that says that, a gift from some non-golfer who probably thinks I'm nuts.

Even better is "Golf is not a matter of life and death, it's WAY more serious than that!"

Adam Clayman

« Reply #39 on: January 03, 2009, 08:26:43 PM »
My first exposure to this site was reading the Pete Dye interview. I never knew people thought about golf courses in such a way as to even ask those questions.

http://www.golfclubatlas.com/interviewdye.html

To go back and read it now, I was struck by how much I've learned since that day.

"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

TEPaul

« Reply #40 on: January 03, 2009, 08:35:16 PM »
"My first exposure to this site was reading the Pete Dye interview. I never knew people thought about golf courses in such a way as to even ask those questions."

Adam:

Apparently Pete didn't either. Nevertheless, the man's basic yes or no answers are unquestionably some of the most brilliant I've EVER read.

Joe Hancock

« Reply #41 on: January 03, 2009, 08:39:57 PM »

Is that in reference to two boys playing a word guessing game?
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

Bill_McBride

« Reply #42 on: January 03, 2009, 08:40:55 PM »

Is that in reference to two boys playing a word guessing game?

Actually it's a Georgia Tech guy taking advantage of a bunch of Georgia guys in a game of 20 questions.

Mike_Young

« Reply #43 on: January 03, 2009, 08:46:02 PM »
I'm not a GT guy nor a UGA guy......just an onlooker ;D

Bill_McBride

« Reply #44 on: January 03, 2009, 08:46:48 PM »
I'm not a GT guy nor a UGA guy......just an onlooker ;D

I'm glad you didn't say "an innocent onlooker."

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #45 on: January 03, 2009, 10:10:28 PM »

Do we take this GCA stuff too seriously???

Of course we do, pity some owners/developers and the odd architect did not over the last 30 years. No exclude the architect he was just doing his clients bidding.

A weeks has passed already since Christmas, time seems to be speeding up. Our modern life is all about now, this moment in time, forget the past that’s gone. The future will be here in a second so get ready for it, but when do we have time to breath and experience our real lives.

Well I can’t talk for you lot, but I find the quality of life settling around my shoulders, diminishing my stress levels as I walk around a course. Enjoying the majesty of the balanced environment I encounter as I follow my ball from one side of the fairway to the other, deep into the tree line. Finally hit the Green in four just to watch my ball hit the flag and bounce straight into the deepest bunker on the course. Forced to retreat out of the bunker then chip to the flag and if lucky down in another three.

Do we take this GCA stuff too seriously – of course we do and if I get my hands on that architect who placed that bunker then the surgeons will have to extract the 9 iron - Do we take this GCA stuff too seriously.

Had a glass too much of the single malt last week and took my bag & clubs to bed instead of my dear wife. Result, only 6.7 on the Richter scale - after all the verbal abuse (and addition list of things to do) not to mention her telling me that her mother was right about me all the time. Now sleeping in the spare room but the dog seems happy with me sharing his bed, so you tell me - Do we take this GCA stuff too seriously???

It's 3AM so back to bed after the dog lets me out in the garden first.

Goodnight to all

Melvyn

Garland Bayley

« Reply #46 on: January 03, 2009, 10:13:36 PM »
Goodnight to all

Melvyn

Goodnight Melvyn, sweet dreams. :)
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Eric Smith

« Reply #47 on: January 03, 2009, 10:15:10 PM »
Goodnight to all

Melvyn

Goodnight Melvyn, sweet dreams. :)

...and God bless you.

Anthony Gray

« Reply #48 on: January 03, 2009, 10:41:09 PM »

Mike,
  Thanks for this thread and thanks for dinner. Tasted just like chicken. I am sorry we drank $2000 worth of your wine.    tell the staff to Just fill it up!!!

See you at the next blizzard,

Anthony

Bill_McBride

« Reply #49 on: January 03, 2009, 11:58:57 PM »

Do we take this GCA stuff too seriously???

Of course we do, pity some owners/developers and the odd architect did not over the last 30 years. No exclude the architect he was just doing his clients bidding.

A weeks has passed already since Christmas, time seems to be speeding up. Our modern life is all about now, this moment in time, forget the past that’s gone. The future will be here in a second so get ready for it, but when do we have time to breath and experience our real lives.

Well I can’t talk for you lot, but I find the quality of life settling around my shoulders, diminishing my stress levels as I walk around a course. Enjoying the majesty of the balanced environment I encounter as I follow my ball from one side of the fairway to the other, deep into the tree line. Finally hit the Green in four just to watch my ball hit the flag and bounce straight into the deepest bunker on the course. Forced to retreat out of the bunker then chip to the flag and if lucky down in another three.

Do we take this GCA stuff too seriously – of course we do and if I get my hands on that architect who placed that bunker then the surgeons will have to extract the 9 iron - Do we take this GCA stuff too seriously.

Had a glass too much of the single malt last week and took my bag & clubs to bed instead of my dear wife. Result, only 6.7 on the Richter scale - after all the verbal abuse (and addition list of things to do) not to mention her telling me that her mother was right about me all the time. Now sleeping in the spare room but the dog seems happy with me sharing his bed, so you tell me - Do we take this GCA stuff too seriously???

It's 3AM so back to bed after the dog lets me out in the garden first.

Goodnight to all

Melvyn

Melvyn, I hope that was a nice Glenmorangie!  All the best to you in 2009, never lose your passion for our wonderful game.

It would be great if all U.S. golfers could experience golf in the United Kingdom (or Ireland's Republic) at least once in their lives, they'd understand what Melvyn's always going on about!  ;D
« Last Edit: January 04, 2009, 11:42:53 AM by Bill_McBride »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back