News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mike_Young

Do we take this GCA stuff too seriously???
« on: January 03, 2009, 06:21:41 PM »
I have been in this business of golf for almost 30 years.....and when being honest with myself I cannot take it to seriously because it is such a disposable in the overall scheme of things.   
95% of the problems we face today with the game of golf have been brought on by RE Development....the model was bad and courses have been created in order to sell lots.....this will correct itself and if it ever comes back to such it will be a very long time.....
Recessions have always eliminated the excesses and depressions have always brought things back to the bare basics.....which brings me to this.....
I read so much overdone BS as it relates to architecture on this site....sort of like reading Cigar Afficianado or Wine Connoisseur magazines.....and most of it was never thoght about by the ODG's yet we take it to a level where many on here actually take it seriously enough that we now have begun deleting OT threads etc....we got guys claiming to be architects that have never done a course....we got fan clubs for ODG's that were developed by a bunch of guys pissed at some architect that did a bunker they did not like.....and now we are discussing how many greens are still original after topdressing , earthquakes and people waking on them... come on guys....there ain't enough truly "on topic" stuff to keep a site like this interesting......come on do you guys really take this stuff that seriously????  I would wager most architects and supts don't  ;D ;D ;D  It's sort of like telling me I should stop and taste the oak or the blackberry in a wine....some guys just think too much.....no one at any time in history has taken this stuff as seriously as this site does......is that healthy???? or sad??? ;D ;D ;D
« Last Edit: January 03, 2009, 06:25:31 PM by Mike_Young »
"just standing on a corner in Winslow Arizona"

Joe Hancock

Re: Do we take this GCA stuff too seriously???
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2009, 06:36:53 PM »
In an attempt to make you and Tim Bert happy, I resolve to be less serious on GCA.com in 2009.

(I think I just heard a collective *gasp*)
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

Mike_Young

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2009, 06:43:37 PM »
Joe,
I think that would be good. 
The only suggestion I have on a serious note is for you to make sure if you build any greens this year....use an 84/16 mix instead of the 85/15..or use an 89/11 instead of the 90/10....we will have a thread discussing the benefits of such at a latter date....and would expect your input. ;D

Steve Lang

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2009, 06:43:49 PM »
 8)
YES! but not all of us..

.. little of both, probably a tad bit sadder.. :(

I've played for 47 years, worked on clubs for 30 years, been interested in gc architecture for 15 years, participated on gca.com for 6..  was just interested in gaining insight into gc design to enable playing smarter, if not better

gca.com does stray, but its still roughly going in its stated purposeful direction

one day it will vanish from the virtual real time world and become a large bunch of reference links and then those will break down in time..  sad, so make the most of it while its here.

Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

Bill_McBride

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2009, 06:46:31 PM »
If at any time you feel yourself taking things too seriously --- lighten up!  ;D  This site to me is great, I can read the experts offering important information and I can read the guys who are fun to play with.  Once in a while those guys are both.  ;)

Mike_Young

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2009, 06:49:33 PM »
If at any time you feel yourself taking things too seriously --- lighten up!  ;D  This site to me is great, I can read the experts offering important information and I can read the guys who are fun to play with.  Once in a while those guys are both.  ;)
Bill,
I just don't think people should quit playing, take their toys and go home ;D

Bill_McBride

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2009, 06:53:09 PM »
Bill,

I agree 100% if you're talking about what I think you are talking about. 
« Last Edit: January 03, 2009, 06:56:53 PM by Bill_McBride »

PCCraig

« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2009, 06:55:03 PM »
Mike-

I think GCA is a hobby and a passion for most on here. The natural progression of this forum is for the members to look into the details and unique parts of their passion.

I thought the thread on original greens still left in the US was neat...maybe the most as a way to learn about how greens evolve. Someone like me who is somewhat new to this learns the most from threads like these.
H.P.S.

Ryan Farrow

« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2009, 06:56:26 PM »
Mike, yes.  

I find myself laughing at some of things I have said before and many of the comments made by others. Perhaps there should be more discussion on art and less nitpicking about the crap you brought up in your original post....

But, Hey! If we didn't do the pointless bickering, who would?

Mike_Young

« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2009, 06:56:53 PM »
Mike-

I think GCA is a hobby and a passion for most on here. The natural progression of this forum is for the members to look into the details and unique parts of their passion.

I thought the thread on original greens still left in the US was neat...maybe the most as a way to learn about how greens evolve. Someone like me who is somewhat new to this learns the most from threads like these.

Seems like a good attitude to me :) :) :)

Mike_Young

« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2009, 06:57:52 PM »
Mike, yes.  

I find myself laughing at some of things I have said before and many of the comments made by others. Perhaps there should be more discussion on art and less nitpicking about the crap you brought up in your original post....

But, Hey! If we didn't do the pointless bickering, who would?

Correct so keep the OT stuff  ;D

Mike_Young

« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2009, 07:01:13 PM »
Bill,

We are on same page.... but I got one waffle house waitress thinking it was all her fault ;)

PCCraig

« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2009, 07:08:21 PM »
Mike-

Seems like a good attitude to me :) :) :)

Maybe to add on to my first post I would say that almost all of us take this seriously...perhaps too many on here take it too personally.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2009, 08:17:31 PM by Pat Craig »
H.P.S.

Andy Troeger

« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2009, 07:09:56 PM »

Uh oh...I'm not sure I fall into either category! ;D

henrye

« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2009, 07:11:16 PM »
....we got guys claiming to be architects that have never done a course....

Not to take away from your main message, and I don't mean to sound like a nit, but it strikes me that one could be an architect, without ever having done a course.  One could be employed at a firm, completed numerous renovation works and yet have never designed a course on their own.

I think this is quite common among building architects.  They have a degree in architecture and get employed at an architectural firm, but don't get to do their own designs for a period of time.

Mike Golden

« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2009, 07:16:24 PM »
Bill,

We are on same page.... but I got one waffle house waitress thinking it was all her fault ;)

Mike, it was more likely one too many El Cholo margaritas ;D

I agree completely with you as well, the O/T stuff helps build the spirit of community that is so important to this site, IMO.  And the ones who criticize the most will always chime in on a subject, like college football, when it suits them...

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2009, 07:19:40 PM »
As you can tell from my occaisional goofball comments, I always discuss gca with all the seriousness it deserves.......now, when I work at it, I am serious, but for me this is fun time, too.
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2009, 07:20:52 PM »
Mike Young,

We don't take it seriously enough.   :(

;) ;D

Mike_Young

« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2009, 07:21:09 PM »
....we got guys claiming to be architects that have never done a course....

Not to take away from your main message, and I don't mean to sound like a nit, but it strikes me that one could be an architect, without ever having done a course.  One could be employed at a firm, completed numerous renovation works and yet have never designed a course on their own.

I think this is quite common among building architects.  They have a degree in architecture and get employed at an architectural firm, but don't get to do their own designs for a period of time.

Henry,
I am speaking of guys that are "playing house"....not the scenarios you mention.....

Bill_McBride

« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2009, 07:22:35 PM »
Bill,

Mike, it was more likely one too many El Cholo margaritas ;D

I agree completely with you as well, the O/T stuff helps build the spirit of community that is so important to this site, IMO.  And the ones who criticize the most will always chime in on a subject, like college football, when it suits them...

Remember the "Grillroom" website?  The idea was you could talk about anything you might talk about in the grillroom at your golf club, but you had to do it in a civilized manner.  This means you don't talk to anyone in cyberspace in a manner other than you would talk to them face to face.

Sometimes that concept gets lost here.

We should always practice that "grillroom" manner but try to stay on target...or does OT mean "on tangent?"  8)

Rich Goodale

« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2009, 07:25:27 PM »
Mike

It is impossible to take the game of golf too seriously, as it is both a metaphor for and an integral part of life.  As for the components of the game, including golf course architecture, it is hard to not take them too seriously, as they are only peripheral to the game.

Rich

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #21 on: January 03, 2009, 07:30:34 PM »
Rich,

I have seen T shirts saying "Hockey is Life" and "Soccer is Life" but for some odd reason, have never seen a golf shirt proclaiming that.
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

TEPaul

« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2009, 07:42:09 PM »
MikeY;

Your entire initial post is right on the money---RIGHT on the money!

If most of us on here tried to carry on these kinds of discussions with architects we wouldn't get a whole lot more than blank stares and shaking of heads, that's for sure. I've been fortunate to get to know a lot of architects over the last dozen years or so and luckily out in the field from time to time too. I think that's necessary or more like essential. It would be my recommendation for anyone who wants to learn.

I'm certainly not saying one can't begin to understand golf course architecture somehow otherwise, but if one really wants to understand it, in my opinion, the deal is it's probably better to first get to understand where architects are coming from and why rather than to try to figure it out on one's own.

And there's only one way to figure that out even moderately well in my book, and that's not to just play their courses but to go out there with them when they're designing them and making them.

Unfortunately with the ODGs we don't get to do that so whatta you gonna do?  ;)

Andy Troeger

« Reply #23 on: January 03, 2009, 07:46:22 PM »
Rich,

I have seen T shirts saying "Hockey is Life" and "Soccer is Life" but for some odd reason, have never seen a golf shirt proclaiming that.

Jeff,
Look at my quote...

"Life is a game, golf is serious!" I have a little wall hanging that says that, a gift from some non-golfer who probably thinks I'm nuts.

Mike_Young

« Reply #24 on: January 03, 2009, 07:46:55 PM »
Rich,

Jeff,
I happen to have a t shirt proclaimng   "Taters is life"  true ;D

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back