News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Michael Dugger

Re: GCAer's as guests
« Reply #25 on: January 03, 2009, 11:50:56 PM »
The "so and so told me to post this" has to be one of the funniest LOL moments in years on this site.

Well, I'm not sure I considered it an LOL moment. More like a WTF moment. 'He told me to tell you this' sounds like something girls in middle school would say.

The guy (Jay) no longer has the ability to post.  How is he suppose to come in and defend himself when he no longer has access to the site?

I guarantee the majority of you have never met Jay.  Just because Tommy despises the individual does not mean gca needs to start a witchhunt, which is what this seems like to me.

This coming from someone who has never met Jay himself, so I'd like to think I'm being objective.

Jeff Brauer didn't seem to have any problems with Jay.  Jeff Brauer even apparently likes the guy.

Maybe Jeff Brauer is a d-bag now too ::) :P

What's middle school is how everyone is jumping on the "Jay Flemma is an ass" bandwagon.
What does it matter if the poor player can putt all the way from tee to green, provided that he has to zigzag so frequently that he takes six or seven putts to reach it?     --Alistair Mackenzie--

Chris Cupit

« Reply #26 on: January 03, 2009, 11:53:53 PM »

If anyone wants to golf the Champions Club in ootelwah TN I would love to host them on my nickel.

Anthony

Anthony I must know.  I am familiar with Ooltewah, TN.  Where is the Champions Club?  If I can find it, I'm in--on your nickel ;D
« Last Edit: January 03, 2009, 11:57:12 PM by Chris Cupit »

Bill_McBride

« Reply #27 on: January 03, 2009, 11:55:54 PM »
I have met and played with Jay, and I have known Tommy for a long time.  I found Jay to be a gentleman, and I know Tommy is one.  I know they have "issues" and I don't think there is a resolution.  I, and a few others who know both, would genuinely like to see a "Chinese Wall" or some other separation that would allow both to participate on GCA.com, as they both have contributions to make.

I don't know what happened at Colonial and feel badly that Tony is po'd enough to go public with this, but things do happen sometimes.  Tony is right, it is really important for those who are guests to err on the side of overcommunication every time they are being hosted somewhere.  It's embarrassing to the host when things are not right on track.

Mike Mosely

« Reply #28 on: January 04, 2009, 12:30:06 AM »
hey guys, there's a difference between being tripped over and being kicked.  Jay thought he was playing with Tony at 9:28.  He thought he had confirmed when he left a v-mail.  Is it possible it got lost?  That's being tripped over.  But in this unhealthy atmosphere of hate, where Jay is being publicly kicked for sport,  Jay may have...innocently, of course..been paid asymetrically when Tony didn't mention it privately instead.  In retrospect, I don't think the tenor of the original post should have been that harsh without checking with Jay first to find out WTF, especially since he and tony talked afterward, and tony gave Jay no inkling anything was amiss.

I dunno, if I was a ref, I'd no call this one.  Players get tangled up sometimes, and this seems like something "I'm sorry" can fix easily. Nobody's hurt, nobody died, nobody lost a dollar or even a penny, nobody's girl is upset with them, and nobody's boss is pissed.  I bet Jay would even offer to make it up to Tony somehow if Tony called him.

How bout a happy ending for once, guys?  Kiss and make up?

Not for nothing but people's personal lives are not entertainment for the board.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2009, 12:57:55 AM by Mike Mosely »

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #29 on: January 04, 2009, 12:41:04 AM »

Jeff Brauer didn't seem to have any problems with Jay.  Jeff Brauer even apparently likes the guy.

Michael,

I am sure that according to most here you are late to that bandwagon..... :(

As it happens, I have been in recent communications with both Jay and Tommy.  Both are nice guys.  I had a nice round of golf with Jay and also spent NYE with him at the hockey game.  So, I appreciate the "no call" reference and think it would be the right call. I will actually see Tommy next week when I am in LA.

I just don't get their feud, and have listened only briefly to both sides.  It won't solve anything anyway and I prefer not get involved in any dramas.

I love everybody and wish everyone a happy everything. ;)
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Michael Dugger

« Reply #30 on: January 04, 2009, 12:56:32 AM »

Michael,

As it happens, I have been in recent communications with both Jay and Tommy.  Both are nice guys.  I had a nice round of golf with Jay and also spent NYE with him at the hockey game.  So, I appreciate the "no call" reference and think it would be the right call. I will actually see Tommy next week when I am in LA.

I just don't get their feud, and have listened only briefly to both sides.  It won't solve anything anyway and I prefer not get involved in any dramas.

So in other words you went to the fights and a gca discussion forum broke out?
What does it matter if the poor player can putt all the way from tee to green, provided that he has to zigzag so frequently that he takes six or seven putts to reach it?     --Alistair Mackenzie--

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #31 on: January 04, 2009, 01:11:55 AM »
I enjoy the grace and skill of the hockey game.  I watch the fights, but don't drool over them.  Jay is a pretty knowledgeable hockey guy actually.

Mike Mosely

« Reply #32 on: January 04, 2009, 08:44:29 AM »

Michael,

The problem is jay goes out of his way to avoid Tommy and his two friends that got tossed with him, and they in turn, seek him out to hassle him with no provokation because of some Yale argument from 2006.  They didnt like something he wrote, so they hound him.  They even said to contact them so they could collect stories about jay and spread them around.  Despicable.

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #33 on: January 04, 2009, 09:22:33 AM »
I once showed up at MPCC in shorts. My host then found a pair of medium size rain pants to fit my 6'6" body. He still  has fun with that one!  ;)

Let's all take away the need for extra communication especially when someone's employment is at the host club.

Moving on.......

Steve Lang

« Reply #34 on: January 04, 2009, 09:24:12 AM »
 8) too much drama, lines were crossed, all should move on

..but officer..

were you exceeding the speed limit, yes or no?

..yes.

here's your ticket, have a nice day
Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

Anthony_Nysse

« Reply #35 on: January 04, 2009, 09:26:46 AM »
I just spoke with Jay. Even in this day and age, with all our technology, there can be miscommunications. I know that we will all be better in the long run by being even clearer about tee times, places to meet and confirmation.  I was told that Jay and his group were nothing but gracious and polite to everyone that they came in contact with.  That’s more that what I can say for a lot of people, in general.
  I also didn’t intend for Jay to get persecuted by several of the “Golden Boys” who used to be on this site and if that remains true, that is pretty sad that they have nothing better to do with they’re time.  I was unaware of there being a “past.” We are all entitled to our opinions of golf courses and if they don’t agree with other peoples assessments, so be it. It’s not worth harassing a man for printing his opinions. Life is too short, grow up.
All of our purposes of the site it to learn more about golf course architecture-the chance to meet, drink and play golf with each other is the gravy.

Tony Nysse
Asst. Supt.
Colonial CC
Ft. Worth, TX
« Last Edit: January 04, 2009, 09:28:59 AM by Anthony_Nysse »
Anthony J. Nysse
Director of Golf Courses & Grounds
Apogee Club
Hobe Sound, FL

HamiltonBHearst

« Reply #36 on: January 04, 2009, 10:01:59 AM »

Seems to me that this "access" angle and the sense of entitlement of some, is just another one of those divides on this website between those who have access to the great courses in the USA, and those who feel they should have access to the great courses in the USA.

Tom Birkert

« Reply #37 on: January 04, 2009, 10:12:51 AM »
I am happy to report that all my (limited) experiences with GCAers have been fantastic. I've met some great people and shared some wonderful rounds of golf, both at my home course and also when on my travels.

I hope to meet many more of you in the future.

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #38 on: January 04, 2009, 10:15:42 AM »

Seems to me that this "access" angle and the sense of entitlement of some, is just another one of those divides on this website between those who have access to the great courses in the USA, and those who feel they should have access to the great courses in the USA.

Not all of us.  I don't have access, nor do I feel it's appropriate to ask.   On the other hand, I'm always thrilled to host anybody.

Sean_A

« Reply #39 on: January 04, 2009, 10:20:26 AM »
I am happy to report that all my (limited) experiences with GCAers have been fantastic. I've met some great people and shared some wonderful rounds of golf, both at my home course and also when on my travels.

I hope to meet many more of you in the future.

I am with Tom on this one.  All the chaps I have met through GCA.com have been well worth my time.  I don't have a bad word to say except that Tony Muldoon is a bandito - tee hee!

Anybody coming to England and looking for game, don't hesitate to give me a shout.  I am happy to give you a game if I can.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Nothing

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #40 on: January 04, 2009, 10:24:51 AM »
My off line experience with all gca.com participants has been fantastic, as well.  Its usually only here that we get ornery.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #41 on: January 04, 2009, 11:49:21 AM »
I once showed up at MPCC in shorts. My host then found a pair of medium size rain pants to fit my 6'6" body. He still  has fun with that one!  ;)

Let's all take away the need for extra communication especially when someone's employment is at the host club.

Moving on.......

The shorts might have looked better than the Capri pants.  I'd love to have a picture of that!

Eric Smith

« Reply #42 on: January 04, 2009, 11:59:11 AM »
This site is great.  Meeting other GCA’ers is great.  I hosted a GCA’er recently and before he left he invited me to play his club with him anytime - all I have to do is ask.

So yesterday, while making arrangements for my Super Bowl golf trip, I contacted my GCA bud, told him I was coming through town...

He’s stoked that I’m coming down to play his course, but not half as much as I am. 8)  The club doesn't have tee times, however we have agreed on the date and time I will arrive and we'll stay in touch.

Please know this, anyone on here who wants to play my club, consider it done, just ask.  :)

Also, I've had the pleasure of meeting Jay and my take on this quasi-debacle is that this was obviously a miscommunication, and they happen.  It's weird that he's not here now, especially that this thread came up, but sounds like both Tony and Jay have talked it through and everything's ok.  Jay is a down-to-earth good guy who I'd play golf with any time anywhere.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2009, 12:10:50 PM by Eric Smith »

RJ_Daley

« Reply #43 on: January 04, 2009, 01:32:51 PM »
Regarding access questions, I would like everyone to know that you all, and your family and friends are welcome at either of my two golf clubs at anytime.  Just call ahead, make your desired tee time, pay your modest fees, and you really don't even need to drop my name. 

Brown County municipal golf course

Wild Horse, Gothenburg community golf course

You too Hammy.  ;D ;D ;)
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

JLahrman

« Reply #44 on: January 04, 2009, 02:23:49 PM »
I've only had a chance to meet two GCAers.  One met me for lunch while I was on a work assignment in another city, and proceeded to invite me for a round at his club.  It was incredibly gracious (and his idea, I didn't know he had any affiliations).

John Moore II

« Reply #45 on: January 04, 2009, 02:40:45 PM »
The "so and so told me to post this" has to be one of the funniest LOL moments in years on this site.

Well, I'm not sure I considered it an LOL moment. More like a WTF moment. 'He told me to tell you this' sounds like something girls in middle school would say.

The guy (Jay) no longer has the ability to post.  How is he suppose to come in and defend himself when he no longer has access to the site?

I guarantee the majority of you have never met Jay.  Just because Tommy despises the individual does not mean gca needs to start a witchhunt, which is what this seems like to me.

This coming from someone who has never met Jay himself, so I'd like to think I'm being objective.

What's middle school is how everyone is jumping on the "Jay Flemma is an ass" bandwagon.

My point was supposed to be that Jay should have gone and somehow contacted Anthony directly (which he eventually did). Having a friend post on a public website in your stead is a little silly. I don't dislike any of them. I have no clue what Jay and others got into a fight about. I don't care. I don't think Jay is an ass, but given the original post from Anthony, it sure seemed like he was being a tool.

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #46 on: January 04, 2009, 03:05:09 PM »
I'm sorry, but this seems to be one of, if not thee, most convoluted threads that has ever made it onto these pages and I think it's a whole lot of......

MHO  :P
"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

Jim Nugent

« Reply #47 on: January 04, 2009, 05:36:27 PM »
...and I think it's a whole lot of......

MHO  :P

...pigs bathing in a sink?

Bart Bradley

« Reply #48 on: January 04, 2009, 05:44:28 PM »
Jim:

HOGWASH!

Bart

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #49 on: January 04, 2009, 09:16:35 PM »
I know Jay pretty well and he has always followed thru on everything. That's his MO.
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back