News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Anthony_Nysse

GCAer's as guests New
« on: January 03, 2009, 10:13:40 AM »
Just a reminder to all,
  This is a wonderful site for meeting other junkies, gaining information and playing golf at courses that many of us would not have access to otherwise. Just because a contact is made or a request is sent DOES NOT mean that an individual or group is promised the opportunity to play golf as a guest. We must always remember that it is an honor and privilege to play golf courses as a guest of a host, usually on the host's time.
  I had an incident this past weekend where Jay Flemma contacted me 2 ½ months ago about playing golf at Colonial. At the time, I did not know when I was going to be heading home to Michigan to visit my family for Christmas.  My pro said that it shouldn’t be a problem and to check back in at a later date. I sent Jay an email on the 21st, asking if he was still going to be in town and if he was set up at Colonial. I received no reply.
  Sunday, December 28th, we had a heavy frost, therefore later than normal start times. I received a call around 9:45am on my radio that a group was in the pro shop, dropping my name to anyone that would listen, saying they had a tee time to play golf. Never once was I asked to play golf with the group, nor was I asked to set up a time for them to play. And to top it off, Jay and Co. never made any effort to meet me while I was on property, even after I had to do ‘damage control’ to cover them. For their sake, they were lucky because was a slow morning because of the frost and the caddies needed the money.
  It just reminded me how a courtesy to golf as a guest can quickly elevate to “play at all costs, even if it ruins it for others.’ Some of on this site are blessed to be members at golf courses or be employed by a golf course.  I have been a guest of GCAer’s many times and have opened up whatever course I’ve worked on to GCAer’s  as well.  In the future, to make sure course exposure to GCA guests isn’t ruined, make sure that the communication lines are open, clear and respected. I’d hate to not be allowed to take guests to a course because someone from GCA ruined it for the others.

EDIT-Jay and I have spoken about the miscommuncation and its water under the bridge. a good lesson to be learned for all.

Tony Nysse
Asst. Supt.
Colonial CC
Ft. Worth, TX
« Last Edit: January 06, 2009, 07:23:46 AM by Anthony_Nysse »
Anthony J. Nysse
Director of Golf Courses & Grounds
Apogee Club
Hobe Sound, FL

Sam Morrow

Re: GCAer's as guests
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2009, 10:29:17 AM »
Thanks for this friendly remind Tony. I consider Tony a good friend, I have been his guest before and he knows all he has to do is say the word and he's my guest anytime. We need more guys like him on this site.

Dave_Miller

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2009, 10:35:14 AM »
Just a reminder to all,
  This is a wonderful for meeting other junkies, gaining information and playing golf at courses that many of us would not have access to otherwise. Just because on contact is made or a request is sent DOES NOT mean that an individual or group is promised the opportunity to play golf as a guest. We must always remember that it is an honor and privilege to play golf courses as a guest of a host, usually on the host time.
  I had an incident this past weekend where Jay Flemma contacted me 2 ½ months ago about playing golf at Colonial. At the time, I did not know when I was going to be heading home to Michigan to visit my family for Christmas.  My pro said that it shouldn’t be a problem and to check back in at a later date. I sent Jay an email on the 21st, asking if he was still going to be in town and it he was sent up at Colonial. I received no reply.
  Sunday, December 28th, we had a heavy frost, therefore later than normal start times. I received a call around 9:45am on my radio that a group was in the pro shop, dropping my name to anyone that would listen, saying they had a tee time to play golf. Never once was I asked to play golf with the group, nor was I asked to set up a time for them to play. And to top it off, Jay and Co. never made any effort to meet me while I was on property, even after I had to do ‘damage control’ to cover them. For their sake, they were lucky because was a slow morning because of the frost and the caddies needed the money.
  It just reminded me how a courtesy to golf as a guest can quickly elevate to “play at all costs, even if it ruins it for others.’ Some of on this site are blessed to be members at golf courses or be employed by a golf course.  I have been a guest of GCAer’s many times and have opened up whatever course I’ve worked on to GCAer’s  as well.  In the future, to make sure course exposure to GCA guests isn’t ruined, make sure that the communication lines are open, clear and respected. I’d hate to not be allowed to take guests to a course because someone from GCA ruined it for the others.

Tony Nysse
Asst. Supt.
Colonial CC
Ft. Worth, TX

Tony:
Thanks for posting this. No one should take the type of access that Tony and others make so available for granted. It is a real privilege to have persons like Tony be so open.  All of us need to respect this.
Happy New Year to all
Dave

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2009, 10:42:19 AM »
Tony,

There must have been some miscommunication somewhere, because, as you know, Jay played Cowboys the day before and we played together the day after, and in both cases, the communication with Jay was frequent, total and complete about our plans.  It was an unfortunate oversight on his part, but certainly not intentional, based on his conduct the other days.

That said, the warning is a good one.  I hate for anything to spoil a special day of golf or make it difficult for those who host me.  I once set up a client at Pine Valley via a member and that client failed to show or contact anyone about it, and believe me, I got calls, and rightfully so.  I probably had one chance to call in that favor, and I was sorry to have used it on someone who didn't realize the importance placed on procedure, protocol and common courtesy for everyone's efforts on their behalf.
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Anthony_Nysse

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2009, 06:41:07 PM »
I notice that Mr. Flemma is no longer a registered member of this site....?

Tony Nysse
Asst. Supt.
Colonial CC
Ft. Worth, TX
Anthony J. Nysse
Apogee Club
Hobe Sound, FL

Casey Wade

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2009, 06:45:09 PM »
Tony,

That is a shame.  I hope you don't have any red marks from Dow.

I hope it was some kind of miscommunication on Jay's part like Jeff said and not him thinking he had a "right to play"
Some people are alive simply because it is illegal to shoot them.

henrye

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2009, 06:58:08 PM »
Tony,

I see no need for you to remind anyone.  You''re talking about common courtesy and decency.  I'd be shocked if Jay doesn't contact you with a complete apology and explanation.

Sean Leary

« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2009, 07:30:01 PM »
I agree with your premise but was it necessary to name names before you talked to him?

henrye

« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2009, 07:33:33 PM »
I agree with your premise but was it necessary to name names before you talked to him?

Tony has done nothing wrong here.

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2009, 07:52:18 PM »
I have to say that I have been burned a few times.  I have set up a couple tee times at Four Streams, playing partners and caddies and have had no shows each time.  I have also set up a tee time with a friend of mine in New York to play a high profile course and was a no show.

On the other hand I have been blessed to meet many of you especially in England who have graciously hosted me.  I hope I behaved "proper"(ly).
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Anthony Gray

« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2009, 07:53:29 PM »

Let me say that I truly enjoy this site. I have played every course that I have wished to play.  Living inTN and growing up in WV it is refreshing to find this site. The other day I went into the proshop at my gated-private golf course. I had a Bandon Dunes hat on. My pro asked "Where's that". Gentelman thank you for this site.

I got 21 points in todays low-ball, so my abilities on the course are poor, but noone had more fun than me today. As far as architecture we all know what we like when we see it. Again thank you for this site.

Anthony

Michael Dugger

« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2009, 08:00:12 PM »

Tony has done nothing wrong here.

You mean he's done nothing wrong other than possibly unnecessarily embarass someone over something which very well may have been a genuine accident?

I am inclined to agree with Sean here. 
What does it matter if the poor player can putt all the way from tee to green, provided that he has to zigzag so frequently that he takes six or seven putts to reach it?     --Alistair Mackenzie--

Mike_Young

« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2009, 08:04:33 PM »
OK..off to the races after the last reply.....any bets on how long until this thread is deleted?????

I take 40 post.....if you win just go to ANGC and tell them I had made you a tee time....if there is an issue ask if you can go off the back nine untll they can contact me or tell them you will just go to the practice area and hit a few balls..... ;D
"just standing on a corner in Winslow Arizona"

Anthony Gray

« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2009, 08:10:04 PM »

I would rather have lunch with people like Eric Smith than golf Pine Valley.

Anthony

C. Squier

« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2009, 08:10:18 PM »
The other day I went into the proshop at my gated-private golf course. I had a Bandon Dunes hat on. My pro asked "Where's that". Gentelman thank you for this site.

Didn't know Bandon?  Perhaps the club should let him out the front gates once in awhile  ;)

As one who has hosted and been hosted, there is no way one can over-communicate.  

Eric Smith

« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2009, 08:28:54 PM »

I would rather have lunch with people like Eric Smith than golf Pine Valley.

Anthony

Dude - YOU ARE INSANE!  ;D  But I appreciate the remark.  I WAS going to invite you to Pine Valley next Saturday, but hey, Cracker Barrel in Ooltewah will do I guess.

Be sure to send your shirt size to Mike Y, it's on me laddie.

Anthony Gray

« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2009, 09:23:39 PM »
Eric,

Remember when Chevey Chase broke that record in "Funny Farm"?

Anthony

Mike Mosely

« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2009, 09:25:00 PM »
Jay told me to please post this.  Tony, he thought you WERE playing with him.  He was surprised when he arrived at the course and heard you had to work.  His group did in fact look for you and was told you were on the course working.  Jay had indeed worked everything out with head pro dow finsterwald.  He asked both Matt and Alicia to find you.  That's why you got the call out on the course, Jay asked them to find you.  But he was all set, because Dow had arranged it, he even thought you were in his group.   Jay even asked them to find you again after the round, but you had left.  He called you after the round on the way home and got your v-mail.

He also said he talked to you the next day and that everything seemed fine.  He even got answers to questions from you about the renovation and wonders why all of a sudden you raise these issues and even further why you didn't call him about them first.  There is a mis-communication here.  He was looking for you, he thought you were going to [play with him, and he thought you were booked to join him.  He says he's sorry if he missed a call from you and for any confusion.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2009, 09:43:53 PM by Mike Mosely »

John Moore II

« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2009, 09:29:52 PM »
When I was still pro at club (not an instructor like I am now) I would have people come out every so often (my club was somewhat private). It was never a problem and I always made sure we both communicated what was going on.

But to take Anthony's side, as someone who has made reservations for people before, if someone did that to me, it would certainly be the last time I ever hosted them to come play, and I might have come up to the pro shop and told them that they could just leave. And I wouldn't ask any questions about mistaken communication or anything else. Just go away.

Anthony_Nysse

« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2009, 09:57:05 PM »
Jay told me to please post this.  Tony, he thought you WERE playing with him.  He was surprised when he arrived at the course and heard you had to work.  His group did in fact look for you and was told you were on the course working.  Jay had indeed worked everything out with head pro dow finsterwald.  He asked both Matt and Alicia to find you, but you had left while his group was still out on the course.

He said he talked to you after the round and that everything seemed fine.  He even got answers to questions from you about the renovation and wonders why all of a sudden you raise these issues and even further why you didn't call him about them first.  There is a mis-communication here.  He was looking for you, he thought you were going to [play with him, and he thought you were booked to join him.  He says he's sorry if he missed a call from you and for any confusion.
Mike,
  It may have been a miscommunication on his part, but I called him while traveling the Monday before and also wrote him an email on the Tuesday prior about when his tee time was. I never got the impression that I was playing or he even wanted me to play, which is fine. Yes, Dow took care of him because I talked with Dow, but he didnt have a time at the pro shop nor with the starter. Alicia and Matt didnt help in finding me because, as you could imagine, my mood wasnt the greatest. A miscommunication? Sure. But if I was going to be the guest to play at someone else's course, you'd better believe that I'd be damn clear as to what my starting time was and who was all playing.
  Several GCAers, that I respect, PMed me throughout the day and told me their stories about GCAers trying to gain access, going through the loop holes and then having it not work out. 
  Jay wrote a credible piece on C3 and the work that was done this summer. At the time, I was over the situation, but in explaining what happed to several individuals and hearing their stories, I felt the need to make a reminder to all. Its a privilage and honor to play at someone else's course, especially on the weekend, and between the Holidays.
  I think that this is gentle reminder as we start the New Year, to make sure no one on this site, myself included, abuses the opportunitues to play some of the fine courses that we all have access to.

Tony Nysse
Asst. Supt.
Colonial CC
Ft. Worth, TX
Anthony J. Nysse
Apogee Club
Hobe Sound, FL

brad_miller

« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2009, 10:04:13 PM »
The "so and so told me to post this" has to be one of the funniest LOL moments in years on this site.

John Moore II

« Reply #21 on: January 03, 2009, 10:17:04 PM »
The "so and so told me to post this" has to be one of the funniest LOL moments in years on this site.

Well, I'm not sure I considered it an LOL moment. More like a WTF moment. 'He told me to tell you this' sounds like something girls in middle school would say.

Anthony Gray

« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2009, 10:35:05 PM »

If anyone wants to golf the Champions Club in ootelwah TN I would love to host them on my nickel.

Anthony

Buck Wolter

« Reply #23 on: January 03, 2009, 10:45:41 PM »
One thing I would suggest is that anyone looking to host a GCA'er checks the contributions section of the site before making the offer. Sort of like being current on your dues at the club and might get more of the 1500 members to support the site. A quick reference check.
Those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience -- CS Lewis

Chris Cupit

« Reply #24 on: January 03, 2009, 11:26:06 PM »
Tony,

I too have felt the "sting" of being burned as a host although it has never been by a GCAer.  All the folks from GCA (including yourself) have been terrific and I appreciate the friendships I've developed.  I will say that the only access issues I've ever had have been with "raters".  Complete pains in the assess.  Most do not even make the offer to pay and could care less how busy the tee sheet may be.

I actually had a guy whom I told needed to tee off #1 at 11:00 decide on his own to sneak off the back side at 10:30 because "it looked open to him".  I had jumped through hoops to find him a couple of guys to play with on a busy day so he doesn't have to wait as a single and he pulls that stunt.  Now I've got two members with no one to help pace them as they must play as a two and this bozo zipping around the back because he's "in a hurry" and will play the front "some other time".  Nope ;)

Guys, if you are a guest, YOU go through all kinds of machinations, calls, e-mails, whatever it takes to make sure there is NO miscommunication. 

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back