News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

JSPayne

GCA Regional Recommedations Site?
« on: January 02, 2009, 11:39:57 AM »
Just a thought, and I have to leave this up to people who are better at this stuff than I am but.....

Having participated in a couple recommendation/top 10/travel advice threads, wouldn't it be great if we could start one solid thread for each specific area of the states/country/world in which mainly local GCA members (or those very familiar with golf in that area) could offer their recommendations for courses for visitors to play?

I know I've started a thread to help me find courses to visit when I go to Ireland, and I've offered recommendations plenty of times for Nor Cal....

Art Fuller did an EXCELLENT job with this regarding photo course review threads.....I'm thinking a similar site with links to recommendation threads would be a HUGE benefit to everyone who respects and seeks out the opnions of the golfers of this board, as I do.

Anyone willing to head this project up?
"To be nobody but yourself in a world which is doing it's best, night and day, to make you everybody else means to fight the hardest battle any human being can fight; and never stop fighting." -E.E. Cummings

Bill_McBride

Re: GCA Regional Recommedations Site?
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2009, 11:42:19 AM »
Every time I ever made this kind of suggestion in the business world, I was immediately handed the job without ceremony.

Be careful what you suggest!

Happy New Year!

David Stamm

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2009, 11:45:38 AM »
Every time I ever made this kind of suggestion in the business world, I was immediately handed the job without ceremony.

Be careful what you suggest!

Happy New Year!

Sage advice, Bill. 

I think it's a good idea, JSP. Hoepfully those that have the depth of knowledge of certain regions would be willing to contribute.
"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

Bill_McBride

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2009, 11:48:52 AM »
Like the photo organization by Art Fuller, this should mostly be about location and organization of past threads, right?  There is a huge wealth of knowledge posted on this website about golf from Arizona to Zululand, it's just a question of locating and organizing it.

David - sage advice or excellent avoidance strategy?  ;D

Kalen Braley

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2009, 11:50:26 AM »
JSP,

Great idea and it would be perfect if we could get the link added to the left hand side menu.  While I appreciate most GCA.com threads, its gets old when someone asks for the umpteenth-time where to play when traveling to destination x or y.

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2009, 12:29:37 PM »
Wouldn't that just make gca.com another list provider that so often gets thrashed on gca.com?
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Bill_McBride

« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2009, 12:31:33 PM »
Wouldn't that just make gca.com another list provider that so often gets thrashed on gca.com?

Jeff, no rankings were mentioned or implied.....I think!

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2009, 03:43:07 PM »
Bill,

It might be the equivalent of the GD places to play guide, where the rankings of individual readers are presented as 3,4 or 5 stars though.
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Bill_McBride

« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2009, 03:47:35 PM »
Bill,

It might be the equivalent of the GD places to play guide, where the rankings of individual readers are presented as 3,4 or 5 stars though.

I suspect the GCA recommendations might favor the golf courses GCA members seem to prefer!

But you're right, once a list is published, everyone has an opinion about why it's not worth the paper, or bandwidth, it's printed on.

Carl Rogers

« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2009, 08:21:11 PM »
It might work if more than one person with more than one point of view would be expressed ...sort of like the Supreme Court with majority and minority opinions???

Bob Jenkins

« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2009, 08:45:20 PM »

JS Payne,

This is done informally on this site all the time. It is not uncommon to see questions posed asking about good public courses in certain areas, "How far from course A to B ?", is "X" worth a special day trip? etc. It may be very worthwhile for the members of this site to set up something along the lines of what you are talking about but I assume you are talking about a new site??

I am in the Vancouver BC area and can tell anyone fom this group who comes up here where to go and what to avoid (or at least I can provide my humble two bits). As Victoria and Seattle are nearby, I have a reasonable knowledge of courses in those towns you may want to see or avoid and I am certain that there are several others nearby who offer to do the same. From a few years of hanging around here and the people from this site I have met I, and I suspect most of us, feel comfortable in recommendations to other site members. But to the world in general, I doubt it.

Richard Boult

« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2009, 12:10:14 AM »
I was just working my way down from the first page looking for regional golf course recommendations to add to our "existing" directory at delicious.com -- then came across this thread on page 5!

I started this directory a while back, but only added a few threads.  I added another handful tonight.  It's very time consuming to look for these threads page by page and via searches. Please feel free to send me links to these threads as you come across them so I can get them added to our directory!!

http://delicious.com/golfclubatlas/Recommendations

Bill_McBride

« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2009, 08:46:50 AM »

JS Payne,

This is done informally on this site all the time. It is not uncommon to see questions posed asking about good public courses in certain areas, "How far from course A to B ?", is "X" worth a special day trip? etc. It may be very worthwhile for the members of this site to set up something along the lines of what you are talking about but I assume you are talking about a new site??

I am in the Vancouver BC area and can tell anyone fom this group who comes up here where to go and what to avoid (or at least I can provide my humble two bits). As Victoria and Seattle are nearby, I have a reasonable knowledge of courses in those towns you may want to see or avoid and I am certain that there are several others nearby who offer to do the same. From a few years of hanging around here and the people from this site I have met I, and I suspect most of us, feel comfortable in recommendations to other site members. But to the world in general, I doubt it.

Vancouver area?  What about Furry Creek?  ??? ::) ::)

JSPayne

« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2009, 08:58:35 AM »
ART! Just the man I was looking for. Superb job on the photo directory site and I think this new one will be just as useful.

Forgive me if it's a little seflish, but I really started this thread because I was almost getting a little tired of rehashing my comments, recommendations and opnions with the same group of Nor Cal contingents every time some other GCAer was coming to the area and wanted advice. It will be much easier to direct them to your bookmark site now!

And Jeff B, I really don't think this amounts to any ratings. This is not a "formal" list as you can see, it's just a directory of links to things that have already been discussed, in a very informal and completely subjective matter. Everyone is entitled to their own opnions, and likewise anyone is entitled to bring up any golf course they would like to personally recommend. Trust me, I can throw out some that many GCAers would likely never want to step foot on, but that I enjoyed immensely and would recommend to someone new to the area to try at least once (Poppy Hills is one decent example of this).

Thanks again Art! Still would be great to play with you sometime......I miss Monarch Dunes already and would love to see/play the new Challange course! Now just gotta find out how to sneak away form my wife and  the "honey do" list for a weekend and get down there again!
"To be nobody but yourself in a world which is doing it's best, night and day, to make you everybody else means to fight the hardest battle any human being can fight; and never stop fighting." -E.E. Cummings

Richard Boult

« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2009, 09:51:22 AM »
Forgive me if it's a little seflish, but I really started this thread because I was almost getting a little tired of rehashing my comments, recommendations and opinions with the same group of Nor Cal contingents every time some other GCAer was coming to the area and wanted advice. It will be much easier to direct them to your bookmark site now!

Thanks again Art! Still would be great to play with you sometime......I miss Monarch Dunes already and would love to see/play the new Challange course! Now just gotta find out how to sneak away form my wife and  the "honey do" list for a weekend and get down there again!

Yes, this is exactly why I started the directory -- to encourage GCAers to lookup existing threads on a region before starting a new thread.  Now finish up that "honey do" list and get down here!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back